[News] Linux' Challenge: Windows Users Too 'Addicted' to Windows Metaphors

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] 'Innovating' X for Windows and 'Supporting' Linux
Hardware thin-client turns XP Home, Linux into 10-user terminal server ,----[ Quote ] | In any case, this is interesting technology, and it supports Linux as well, | which is kind of an irony because the X protocol was created to do just that, | display GUIs -local or remote- over TCP/IP. `---- http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/15/hardware-thin-client-for-xp-home-and-linux ...

[News] Supercomputers Are 'All Linux' (de Facto), Windows Like 'Only 2%'
[Role reversal.] Tux fuels the HPC market ,----[ Quote ] | ..very year, since then, Linux, open source compilers and tools have been | increasing their share in this space due to their commodity nature, lower | cost factor and reasonable performance. | | “Linux as server OS technology fits in very well with the HPC segment. | Overwhelmingly the majority of today’s HPC clusters are based on Linux. Some | of the key benefits which are driving this adoption are high performance, | scalability, flexibility, affordability and of course, an increasing | ecosystem of hardware and software ...

[News] Why GNU/Linux Security is Fundamentally Better Than Windows 'Security' (as 'Feature')

[News] Windows 'Addicts' Meet GNU/Linux

[News] Linux Will Win the Desktop by Being Linux, Not 'Cheap Windows'
Linux Wizard - Votre ressource Linux !! ,----[ Quote ] | Last but not least, Free software world need to innovate and provide a | different experience. They should stop going after an hypothetic cloning of | Windows to ease migration. If the system is well done and provide unique | features with a good price, people will switch. `---- http://www.linux-wizard.net/index.php?id_blog=170 Related: Windows Tech Writers Wrong About Linux ,----[ Quote ] | - Xandros and Linspire are so much like Windows in overall feel that it's | painful. | | - Using any Debian-based distribution to...

[News] Linux Desktop Grows in China, Windows Becomes Less 'Free', Microsoft Presses and 'Dumps' for Revenue
Microsoft goes pirate hunting ,----[ Quote ] | "The criminal syndicate broken up this past summer by Chinese law enforcement | and the FBI was linked to a significant amount of illegitimate Internet | activity," proclaimed David Finn, an anti-piracy and anti-counterfeiting | vole. `---- http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/11/microsoft-goes-pirate-hunting Good news to Linux, as always. On the other hand, Microsoft carries on 'dumping' to stay relevant and Linux is growing nonetheless. China's Linux desktop market booms ,----[ Quote ] | The Chines...

[News] Windows User Switches to Linux ('Cold Turkey')
The Great Ubuntu Switch ,----[ Quote ] | However, it seems peer pressure, as well as a general disgust for | Windows bugs and latency, has taken its toll, and I've finally made | the full-blown switch to Linux. I've wiped the Windows partition | from my hard drive, I've moved on, and I'm not looking back. `---- http://storm.presidium.org/?title=171 What Linux is not: (Satire:) Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Linux�, Linux Is Not UniX more commonly known as DorkWare for Dweebs, | is an operating system used mainly for cracking into animal hospitals | and online banking sites by 12-y...

[News] GNU/Linux 'Too' Easy for Windows Users to Grasp

[News] Review of Splashtop: Linux 'from the BIOS' (and Windows Always on Top of Linux)
A hands-on look at the Splashtop instant-on Linux environment ,----[ Quote ] | Splashtop, a nearly instant-on Linux environment stored in the flash memory | usually reserved for motherboard BIOS. The company previewed an upcoming | revision to Splashtop at this year's Consumer Electronics Show in January, | then gave us the chance to take a hands-on look at this intriguing system | software. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/128004 Related: Preboot environment turns PC into CE ,----[ Quote ] | DeviceVM demonstrated a Linux-powered PC preboot application environment that | l...

[News] [Linux] Intel Upset About 'Fat' Windows, Will Use Linux
Intel on $100 laptops, smartphones and the Ne ,----[ Quote ] | The chips Intel is designing are intended to run Windows XP, | though Chandrasekher said he is frustrated that Microsoft has not | yet delivered a small-scale version of the operating system. He | also said that many of these devices will run on Linux. `---- http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/11/technology/fastforward_inteltiny.fortune/index.htm?source=yahoo_quote Related: Intel to unveil Linux based UMPCs next week ,----[ Quote ] | With the success of the Pepper Pad and the Nokia N800, it certainly | appears that Intel is recogniz...

[News] Ubuntu Linux Installations and Adopters Escape Windows (Not Linux 'Cannibalism')
Windows Users download Ubuntu ,----[ Quote ] | Today I was downloading Ubuntu 7.10 desktop i386 iso and came across an | interesting fact. | I was using kTorrent and was delighted to see more than 1400 seeders and | around 150 leechers. | There were seeders from many countries prominent among them being | | 1. U.S | 2. U.K | 3. Germany | 4. Italy | | [...] | | Now utorrent is a Windows only client, this makes this observation very | interesting. Imagine, the maximum number of Ubuntu peers are actually using | some version of Windows :). This indicates the growing awarenes...

[News] [Linux] Ultra-mobile PCs Adopt Linux, Intel Says Windows is Too 'Fat'
What The Dickens Is A Donley? It's Another UMPC! ,----[ Quote ] | Also, it runs Linux. If, against the odds (i.e. "in the face of | almost complete consumer disinterest") UMPCs and like devices | take off, it is in this area, thanks to the lack of a version | of Windows appropriate for the platform, that Linux has a good | chance of finally biting. Mobile Ubuntu is on its way, folks. `---- http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/06/what_the_dicken.html Ubuntu preps embedded and mobile Linux OS ,----[ Quote ] | The chipmaker has repeatedly touted Linux as its platform of | cho...

[News] San Francisco Linux Users Ask for 'Windows Tax' Refund
This is new... Dell Refunds OS Cost For Those Adopting Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Open source technology fans in the San Francisco Bay Area are reportedly | some of the first who began campaigning to get refunds for Microsoft | Windows software they did not plan on using. `---- http://www.dailytech.com/Article.aspx?newsid=4990 Such refunds are inconvenient to the customers and the sellers, so inevitably this will lead to preinstallation of Linux by all major vendors. There's precedence. ...

Web resources about - [News] Linux' Challenge: Windows Users Too 'Addicted' to Windows Metaphors - comp.os.linux.advocacy