[News] [Linux] Dell's Linux Won't Emulate Windows, Might Go Beyond the US in Future

Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux
| has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those
| strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Dell explains Linux delays

,----[ Quote ]
| "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has
| just not been announced yet," Greffier added.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39286968,00.htm?r=2
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

> Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows. Linux
> | has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those
> | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said.
> `----
>
> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

Good point. Linux is not Windows, and doesn't want to be, so people
should not be encouraged to perceive it as such. However, I think Dell
could do worse than bundle Cedega for games compatibility, especially on
the higher spec'ed models.

Of course I fully anticipate driver and games support (the final
frontiers to adoption) to improve greatly, as Dell pushes Linux under
the white hot spotlight of mainstream attention.

> Dell explains Linux delays
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has
> | just not been announced yet," Greffier added.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39286968,00.htm?r=2

"Speaking to ZDNet UK [Greffier] suggested that the greatest volume of

Excuses.

"The challenge behind Linux is about support"

Excuses.

"He also cited driver certification" ...

Excuses.

.... "and training as further reasons to delay pre-installed Linux."

Excuses.

First of all, how does he know *where* the "responses" came from? I
don't recall being asked my country of origin in the survey, my Email
address in in a US domain, and my IP is anonymised through Tor.

As for driver "certification" ... LOL! Yeah, whatever.

And training? For what ... how to while away those long hours waiting
patiently for someone running Linux to develop a problem?

At most all they'll need to do is change one line of the "script" from
"WipeNReinstall®" to "ubuntuforums.org".

--
K.
http://slated.org

,----
| I realize that a lot of people see this as a fight. But I tell you,
| those people are missing the point.  We’re not fighting.  At least
| the useful people aren’t fighting.  No good code ever comes out of
| people who do things because they are afraid, or because they hate.
|
| - Linus Torvalds. http://tinyurl.com/eumwb (Groklaw)
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 20:42:58 up 18 days, 18:15,  3 users,  load average: 0.53, 0.60, 0.39
0
spam95 (5695)
5/5/2007 7:44:22 PM
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows.
> | Linux has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those
> | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said.
> `----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

> Dell explains Linux delays
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has
> | just not been announced yet," Greffier added.
> `----
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39286968,00.htm?r=2

If people need to run Windows applications on the Ubuntu machines, they can
install Crossover Office http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/.

The cost of crossover office is nominal and I find it runs all the Windows
software I need to run without any problems.

Ian
0
nospam244 (1580)
5/5/2007 7:52:21 PM
On Sat, 05 May 2007 21:52:21 +0200, Ian Hilliard
<nospam@hilliardtech.com> wrote:

>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "While Linux is an alternative to Windows, it is not cheap Windows.
>> | Linux has its own strengths, and users should want it because of those
>> | strengths and not because it's a cheap copy of Windows," he said.
>> `----
>>

>http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616
>>
>> Dell explains Linux delays
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "We are adjusting the roadmap for the rest of the world, but this has
>> | just not been announced yet," Greffier added.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39286968,00.htm?r=2
>
>If people need to run Windows applications on the Ubuntu machines, they can
>install Crossover Office http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/.

Yeah, right, cxoffice. Tested with a whopping 474 old apps, most of
them by as much as 1 user.... what a joke.
0
otto901 (493)
5/6/2007 12:51:04 AM
OK wrote:

> On Sat, 05 May 2007 21:52:21 +0200, Ian Hilliard
> <nospam@hilliardtech.com> wrote:
>
>>Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Ubuntu Founder: No Emulation Software for Dell Systems
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

>>http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2125848,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616
>>>
>>> Dell explains Linux delays
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,39286968,00.htm?r=2
>>
>>If people need to run Windows applications on the Ubuntu machines, they
>>can install Crossover Office
>>http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/.
>
> Yeah, right, cxoffice. Tested with a whopping 474 old apps, most of
> them by as much as 1 user.... what a joke.

Documented by 474 users. Most users just use it and get on with the job.

Ian
0
nospam244 (1580)