[News] Linux Foundation Published Interview with IBM's Linux VP

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Interview with Bob Sutor
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In this episode of Open Voices, Linux Foundation Executive Director Jim
> | Zemlin talks with newly appointed VP of Linux and Open Source at IBM Bob
> | Sutor. They cover IBM’s current support of Linux, the origin of that support,
> | and the hotspots Bob sees in the Linux and open source market today.
> | Highlights include conversation about cloud computing, Linux on the desktop,
> | ODF, and the growth of the Linux community.
> `----
>
> http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/2009/06/09/bobsutor/

http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/bob-sutor-interview-part1
(((((
> Bob Sutor: We have over 30,000 people using Linux desktops in IBM
)))))
0
matt281 (1555)
6/11/2009 8:09:47 PM
Matt wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> Interview with Bob Sutor
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In this episode of Open Voices, Linux Foundation Executive Director Jim
>> | Zemlin talks with newly appointed VP of Linux and Open Source at IBM
>> | Bob Sutor. They cover IBM’s current support of Linux, the origin of
>> | that support, and the hotspots Bob sees in the Linux and open source
>> | market today. Highlights include conversation about cloud computing,
>> | Linux on the desktop, ODF, and the growth of the Linux community.
>> `----
>>
>> http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/2009/06/09/bobsutor/
>

> http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/bob-sutor-interview-part1
> (((((
>> Bob Sutor: We have over 30,000 people using Linux desktops in IBM
> )))))

IBM - Full Time Employees: 410,097
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=IBM

So that leaves 380,000+ employees using Windows. Not really all that great
if you consider that IBM is supposedly some sort of "Linux company."

0
Zeke8076 (75)
6/11/2009 8:24:49 PM
Ezekiel wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Interview with Bob Sutor
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/2009/06/09/bobsutor/
>>
>> http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/bob-sutor-interview-part1
>> (((((
>>> Bob Sutor: We have over 30,000 people using Linux desktops in IBM
>> )))))
>

> IBM - Full Time Employees: 410,097
> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=IBM
>
> So that leaves 380,000+ employees using Windows. Not really all that great
> if you consider that IBM is supposedly some sort of "Linux company."

It takes time to develop best practices when you are making a big
change.  You put solutions in place one at a time---each new solution
enabling you to migrate a few more desktops.  One out of fourteen is a
very solid base to grow from.

Also there is still plenty of money to be made supporting Windows, and
we would expect IBMers to use the same kinds of systems they support.
0
matt281 (1555)
6/11/2009 8:54:00 PM
Matt wrote:

> Ezekiel wrote:
>> Matt wrote:

>>> http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/bob-sutor-interview-part1
>>> (((((
>>> )))))
>>

>> IBM - Full Time Employees: 410,097
>> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=IBM
>>
>> So that leaves 380,000+ employees using Windows. Not really all that
>> great if you consider that IBM is supposedly some sort of "Linux
>> company."
>

> It takes time to develop best practices when you are making a big
> change.  You put solutions in place one at a time---each new solution
> enabling you to migrate a few more desktops.  One out of fourteen is a
> very solid base to grow from.

"Takes time" is an understatement. IBM started this back in 2003. And
they're a tech company who should be able to make the transition relatively
easily.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-7344_3-5104650.html

> Also there is still plenty of money to be made supporting Windows, and
> we would expect IBMers to use the same kinds of systems they support.

0
Zeke8076 (75)
6/11/2009 9:21:31 PM
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:21:31 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>
>> Ezekiel wrote:

>>> IBM - Full Time Employees: 410,097
>>> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=IBM
>>>
>>> So that leaves 380,000+ employees using Windows. Not really all that
>>> great if you consider that IBM is supposedly some sort of "Linux
>>> company."
>>

>> It takes time to develop best practices when you are making a big
>> change.  You put solutions in place one at a time---each new solution
>> enabling you to migrate a few more desktops.  One out of fourteen is a
>> very solid base to grow from.
>>

> "Takes time" is an understatement. IBM started this back in 2003. And
> they're a tech company who should be able to make the transition relatively
> easily.
>
> http://news.cnet.com/2100-7344_3-5104650.html

It's also mostly research and development type people.
The mobile workforce is almost exclusively Windows XP because
they have to interface with clients and Linux just doesn't cut
it....
"Ezekiel" <Zeke@no-such-email.com> wrote in message
> Matt wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Interview with Bob Sutor
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> Jim
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/2009/06/09/bobsutor/
>>

>> http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/openvoices/bob-sutor-interview-part1
>> (((((
>>> Bob Sutor: We have over 30,000 people using Linux desktops in IBM
>> )))))
>

> IBM - Full Time Employees: 410,097
> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=IBM
>
> So that leaves 380,000+ employees using Windows. Not really all that great
> if you consider that IBM is supposedly some sort of "Linux company."

Well it is unlikely that all 380,000 of them actually use Windows.  For
example the truck drivers doubtless use Blackberries or such.  They might
end up using Windows Mobile, though.  There are sure to be a lot of pansies
in their graphic arts departments, too, and they are likely to be using
Macintosh.  But it is safe to say that far, far more IBMers use Windows than
any other brand.  How ironic that is considering the beating they took over
not dumping OS/2 to get a good deal on Win95.  I bet they regret putting up
such a fuss now.

0
acdc (4867)
6/12/2009 12:35:33 AM
"Matt" <matt@themattfella.xxxyyz.com> wrote in message

> It takes time to develop best practices when you are making a big change.
> You put solutions in place one at a time---each new solution enabling you
> to migrate a few more desktops.  One out of fourteen is a very solid base
> to grow from.

Right.  They have only been trying to move to more Linux for only ten or
eleven years now.  They probably have another 50 or so years to go yet.

0
acdc (4867)
6/12/2009 12:37:16 AM
amicus_curious wrote:

> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.xxxyyz.com> wrote in message
>>

>> It takes time to develop best practices when you are making a big
>> change. You put solutions in place one at a time---each new solution
>> enabling you to migrate a few more desktops.  One out of fourteen is a
>> very solid base to grow from.
>>
> Right.  They have only been trying to move to more Linux for only ten or
> eleven years now.  They probably have another 50 or so years to go yet.

How do you figure that?

0
matt281 (1555)
6/12/2009 2:51:11 AM
0
newsgroups3 (79677)
  this bit o' wisdom:

> RedHat Adventure: "You're in a maze of twisted little packages, all dependent.
> There's a threatening little Gnome in the room with you."

Funny one!

--
A kind of Batman of contemporary letters.
		-- Philip Larkin on Anthony Burgess
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:35:33 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:

> Well it is unlikely that all 380,000 of them actually use Windows.  For
> example the truck drivers doubtless use Blackberries or such.  They might
> end up using Windows Mobile, though.  There are sure to be a lot of pansies
> in their graphic arts departments, too, and they are likely to be using
> Macintosh.  But it is safe to say that far, far more IBMers use Windows than
> any other brand.  How ironic that is considering the beating they took over
> not dumping OS/2 to get a good deal on Win95.  I bet they regret putting up
> such a fuss now.

The standard IBM corporate desktop is Windows XP based.
The mobile workforce uses Windows Vista and carries Blackberry's
for the most part.
Some sales weasels may have dual boot Linux partitions because
their clients also run Linux.
R&D is a mixed bag and that is where you will see the bulk of
the Linux desktops.

IBM had big plans to migrate to Linux for the standard corporate
desktop but they ran into many problems, the largest of which
are with the mobile workforce who have to interface with
client's systems.
Training (CBT) and internal IBM training requires Windows.
Many tools needed to interface with equipment IBM services, such
as Netapp, Cisco, Broadcom etc require Windows based education
and tools.
The list is endless but the bottom line is that the world of
business runs on Windows and IBM knows that.

They are very quiet about the new platform for mobile workers.
The speculation is Windows 7, but Linux has not been ruled out.
Time will tell.

BTW employees can choose a Linux based corporate platform that
is officially supported but the vast majority do not, for the
above reasons.

Rex can probably expand on this.
On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:49:19 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Matt on Friday 12 June 2009 02:51 : \____
>
>> amicus_curious wrote:
>>>
>>> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.xxxyyz.com> wrote in message

>>> Right.  They have only been trying to move to more Linux for only ten or
>>> eleven years now.  They probably have another 50 or so years to go yet.
>>

>> How do you figure that?
>
> Just FUD. IBM's share of Linux keeps growing fast. It was 6.5% about a year
> ago.

He's talking about their own workforce you moron.
Don't you ever stop trying to mislead people, Roy Schestowitz.
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Matt on Friday 12 June 2009 02:51 : \____
>
>> amicus_curious wrote:
>>>
>>> "Matt" <matt@themattfella.xxxyyz.com> wrote in message

>>> Right.  They have only been trying to move to more Linux for only ten or
>>> eleven years now.  They probably have another 50 or so years to go yet.
>>

>> How do you figure that?
>
> Just FUD. IBM's share of Linux keeps growing fast. It was 6.5% about a
> year ago.

Wrong again. One year ago internal Linux usage at IBM was over 9%. It has
declined since then.

0
Zeke8076 (75)
6/12/2009 1:25:21 PM
Moshe Goldfarb <goldfarbmoshe@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:35:33 -0400, amicus_curious wrote:
>

>> Well it is unlikely that all 380,000 of them actually use Windows.  For
>> example the truck drivers doubtless use Blackberries or such.  They might
>> end up using Windows Mobile, though.  There are sure to be a lot of pansies
>> in their graphic arts departments, too, and they are likely to be using
>> Macintosh.  But it is safe to say that far, far more IBMers use Windows than
>> any other brand.  How ironic that is considering the beating they took over
>> not dumping OS/2 to get a good deal on Win95.  I bet they regret putting up
>> such a fuss now.
>
> The standard IBM corporate desktop is Windows XP based.
> The mobile workforce uses Windows Vista and carries Blackberry's
> for the most part.

Huh? Andrew Halliwell told is that Blackberry usage is not even a blip
on the radar!
0
hadronquark (21814)
6/12/2009 8:05:45 PM
Verily I say unto thee, that Chris Ahlstrom spake thusly:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
>  wisdom:
>
>> RedHat Adventure: "You're in a maze of twisted little packages, all
>> dependent. There's a threatening little Gnome in the room with
>> you."
>
> Funny one!

To the North there is a cave.

#enter cave

There is a large, sweaty barbarian, bearing a grease-gun.

#say "Hello"

The large, sweaty barbarian approaches you menacingly.

   "I am Sweaty the Impaler. I offer you my protection from the Trolls,
    but you must first sign an oath of allegiance in blood, or I shall
    strike thee down with my mighty lawyers"

#leave cave

Your exit is blocked by several mighty lawyers, bearing heavy scrolls.
As you try to leave, you feel the penetration of a grease-gun, and a
sharp blow to the skull. You fall to the floor, and die.

Would you like to play again.

#yes

To the North there is a cave.

#call IBM

IBM approaches from the South. He is holding a heavy scroll.

#read scroll

The scroll contains a magic spell which summons an army of mighty lawyers.

#pick up scroll

The scroll has been added to your inventory.

#enter cave

There is a large, sweaty barbarian, bearing a grease-gun.

#use spell on barbarian

An army of mighty lawyers appears. The large, sweaty barbarian looks
worried, and hastily retrieves a scroll from his back pocket. He reads
from the scroll, and a second army of mighty lawyers appears. A long and
bloody battle ensues, after which only one army of mighty lawyers
remains standing, and the large, sweaty barbarian runs away to the West.

Congratulations, you have vanquished the large, sweaty barbarian. As you
exit the cave, you notice the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and
a stream is flowing into a waterfall, which casts a magic rainbow
through the spray of water.

There is a grease-gun here.

#pick up grease-gun

You pick up the grease-gun. There is an inscription on it.

#read inscription

The inscription reads "Warning: Patent Biohazard Level 4. Use sparingly"

#throw grease-gun into magic rainbow

You cast the grease-gun into the magic rainbow. There is a loud bang and
a puff of smoke. The grease-gun has been destroyed.

Would you like to play again?

#no

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| "The shepherd drives the wolf from the sheep's throat, for which
| the sheep thanks the shepherd as his liberator, while the wolf
| denounces him for the same act, as the destroyer of liberty.
| Plainly the sheep and the wolf are not agreed upon a definition of
| the word liberty; and precisely the same difference prevails today
| among human creatures." ~ Abraham Lincoln
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.26.8-57.fc8
 01:36:22 up 15 days,  5:34,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.00
0
usenet3690 (8688)
6/13/2009 12:36:47 AM
Ezekiel wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> ____/ Matt on Friday 12 June 2009 02:51 : \____

>>> How do you figure that?
>> Just FUD. IBM's share of Linux keeps growing fast. It was 6.5% about a
>> year ago.
>

> Wrong again. One year ago internal Linux usage at IBM was over 9%. It has
> declined since then.

Where is a reference for that claim?
0
matt281 (1555)
6/13/2009 11:00:54 AM
Ezekiel wrote:
> Matt wrote:
>
>> Ezekiel wrote:

>>> IBM - Full Time Employees: 410,097
>>> http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=IBM
>>>
>>> So that leaves 380,000+ employees using Windows. Not really all that
>>> great if you consider that IBM is supposedly some sort of "Linux
>>> company."
>>
>> It takes time to develop best practices when you are making a big
>> change.  You put solutions in place one at a time---each new solution
>> enabling you to migrate a few more desktops.  One out of fourteen is a
>> very solid base to grow from.
>>

> "Takes time" is an understatement. IBM started this back in 2003. And
> they're a tech company who should be able to make the transition relatively
> easily.
>
> http://news.cnet.com/2100-7344_3-5104650.html

What is that link supposed to show?  It certainly doesn't show that IBM
is trying to move all its desktops to Linux ASAP.  As I mentioned below,
it wouldn't make sense for them to try that even if they could get all
the apps they need on Linux.

>> Also there is still plenty of money to be made supporting Windows, and
>> we would expect IBMers to use the same kinds of systems they support.
0
matt281 (1555)
6/13/2009 11:06:58 AM
Matt <matt@themattfella.xxxyyz.com> writes:

> Ezekiel wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>>> ____/ Matt on Friday 12 June 2009 02:51 : \____

>>> Just FUD. IBM's share of Linux keeps growing fast. It was 6.5% about a
>>> year ago.
>>

>> Wrong again. One year ago internal Linux usage at IBM was over 9%. It has
>> declined since then.
>

> Where is a reference for that claim?

I decided to Google "IBM internal linux usage". Makes some interesting
reading. Sounds like the Munich initiative all over again. Rather than
me post "biased lies" try it for yourself. (But I didn't specifically
look for those figures you mention).

--
In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading
lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to

Even funnier!

--
If you stand on your head, you will get Sweaty Ballmer's grease gun.
0
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 06:06:58 -0500, Matt wrote:

> Ezekiel wrote:
>> Matt wrote:

>>> It takes time to develop best practices when you are making a big
>>> change.  You put solutions in place one at a time---each new solution
>>> enabling you to migrate a few more desktops.  One out of fourteen is a
>>> very solid base to grow from.
>>>

>> "Takes time" is an understatement. IBM started this back in 2003. And
>> they're a tech company who should be able to make the transition relatively
>> easily.
>>
>> http://news.cnet.com/2100-7344_3-5104650.html
>

> What is that link supposed to show?  It certainly doesn't show that IBM
> is trying to move all its desktops to Linux ASAP.  As I mentioned below,
> it wouldn't make sense for them to try that even if they could get all
> the apps they need on Linux.

They haven't even put a dent in it.
Ask your local IBM'er.