[News] [Linux] Has Novell's Lost IBM's Backing?

Virtualization: IBM Sticks Novell in the Corner

,----[ Quote ]
| So Novell - which got into Linux on IBM's nickel - has wandered off the
| reservation and is now hugging Microsoft, IBM's heredity enemy, around the
| knees seeking market redemption.
|
| [...]
|
| So now IBM, which brought Novell into the mix so Red Hat wouldn't
| turn into another Microsoft, has cut a deal with Red Hat "to
| encourage the dramatic growth of Red Hat Enterprise Linux on IBM
| System z mainframes" - according to the lead sentence in the
| Wednesday press release.
|
| Makes one think the Armonk carrier pigeon just pooped on Novell's new hat.
`----

http://virtualization.sys-con.com/read/374798_p.htm

Also new:

Questions on IBM's Business Model

,----[ Quote ]
| My question does not appear to have been raised (caveat: I have not
| read all 1039). What is the connection between IBM's FOSS-oriented
| business strategy and its current concern over its competitive postion?
| IBM's strategy has been to promote FOSS, especially Apache and Linux,
| and then make money from selling (1) proprietary applications to
| connect to them; (2) hardware on which both the operating system
| and aps run; (3) integration services, using a very broad-based
| concept that equates IT processes with overall business processes.
`----

http://weblog.ipcentral.info/archives/2007/05/questions_on_ib.html
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> | So now IBM, which brought Novell into the mix so Red Hat wouldn't
> | turn into another Microsoft, has cut a deal with Red Hat

Think of IBM as Tom Cruise.

Think of Novell as Katie Holmes.

Novell is growing, advancing, and IBM can't keep her "down on the farm".

0
jabailo (8241)

[News] Microsoft's 'Future' is Linux's Yesterday
Parallel Computing`s Already Here ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft's Craig Mundie is right. Parallel computing is going to change | everything about computing, but his timing is off. Thanks to Linux, it's been | here for years. | | The future is today. | | [...] | | It's not just video though. Supercomputers are made up of MPP arrays of | hundred or even thousands of ordinary Intel or AMD chips running Linux. The | current top supercomputer, the IBM Blue Gene/L system at the Lawrence | Livermore Lab, can hit 478.2 teraflops (trillion calculations per second) | with its tens ...

[News] [Linux] Another Company Chooses Linux; Oracle's 'Linux Family' Extends Too
Columbitech Taps SUSE Linux Enterprise From Novell to Help Retailers Reach PCI Compliance and Safeguard Customer Data ,----[ Quote ] | This offering will give retailers PCI compliance by securing all | wireless devices and providing secure wireless access to the | back-end systems. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070605005558&newsLang=en Momentum continues for Oracle ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle recently announced that momentum continues to build | around the Oracle Unbreakable Linux Support Program (which includes | supp...

[News] Novell's Linux and Microsoft's Hidden Agenda
Inside the Microsoft-Novell deal ,----[ Quote ] | "Microsoft is emerging as the common denominator in multiple | strategies for identity management, which is not completely altruistic | and could have strategic benefits by putting it in a stronger position | at the hub of identity management across several providers' product | lines," Goulde says. | | [...] | | Interestingly, in the case of the Sun deal, the software giant was | also happy to fork out significant amounts of money to seal the | pact. Microsoft paid Sun $700m upfront to resolve anti-trust | issues, a further $90...

[News] Man's Life's Work Centered Around GNU/Linux for Tomorrow's Generation

[News] Motorola's Older Linux Phones Live on, TomTom's Linux Devices Improve

[News] Linux's Own 'Dashboard' Leaps Ahead of Apple's Leopard (Not Even Released Yet)
Awn Hover effects ,----[ Quote ] | Awn has lost of cool new hover effects being created so I will demonstrate | them all here including the cpu monitor applet. | | The hover effects demonstrated in this video are: | | * Classic | * Fade | * Spotlight | * Zoom | * Squish | * 3d Turn `---- http://thelinuxmovement.blogspot.com/2007/09/awn-hover-effects.html Related: Avant Window Navigator Effects ,----[ Quote ] | The new advanced and cool effects of the great linux-dock by NJPatel... � `---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFhWNGtZKrg AWN 3D Turn Icon Effect Vi...

It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator sitting his i...

[News] Microsoft's Patent Attack on Linux Lost Before It's Even Started (Bilski!)

[News] IBM's Server Initiative (GNU/Linux) Far Ahead of Microsoft's

[News] IBM Strives to Turn Sun's/Oracle's UNIX to GNU/Linux

[News] Nokia's Linux Tablet Improved, OpenMoko on the Way, Google's Linux Phone Attracts Devs
OS upgrade leaks for Linux-based tablet ,----[ Quote ] | The hotly anticipated Maemo operating system upgrade for the Nokia N800 | Internet Tablet has leaked. Early reviewers are impressed with the upgrade's | faster performance and Mozilla-based Web browser. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7806233999.html OpenMoko prepping to push sales of Linux-based handset ,----[ Quote ] | OpenMoko, a Linux-based open source handset platform developer, is pushing | the development of Linux-based smartphone with its open source handset, the | Neo 1973, which may be available to the ma...

[News] IBM's OSS Chief Becomes Linux Chief, Sun's OSS Chief Interviewed

[News] IBM's Irving Wladawsky-Berger (Emeritus) Explains the Company's GNU/Linux Reasoning

[News] Palm's Linux-based O/S to be Completed by Year's End

[News] Industry's Biggest Software Thief (Microsoft) Faces Wrath of IBM's Linux Patent Pools

[News] Microsoft's Response to IBM; Adobe's Response to Microsoft Lockins; Linux the Anti-Piracy Winner?
What the HP-Microsoft Deal Really Means ,----[ Quote ] | Make no mistake, yesterday's HP-Microsoft agreement is all about thefour | products Microsoft launched last month in New York City. It's also | a competitive swipe against IBM. `---- http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/what_the_hpmicrosoft_deal_really_means.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535 Adobe Preps Response to Microsoft XPS ,----[ Quote ] | Adobe may already own the market for electronic documents thanks to | PDF, but the company knows that Microsoft has a habit of showing up | late to the party an...

[News] Microsoft's Linux 'Sellouts' Lose to Truly Free GNU/Linux
The World Series of Linux: Round 1 ,----[ Quote ] | But, clearly, Ubuntu shined. It has earned the right to play in the | championship round of The World Series of Linux. The next round will | determine its opponent, as the RPM Round pits SLED 10, Fedora 7 and PCLinuxOS | to compete to pick the best out of those distributions. `---- http://www.crn.com/software/204802194 Guess who lost here? Xandros and Linspire. Here is OpenSUSE losing: First Kubuntu Impressions ,----[ Quote ] | Well, seems like Kubuntu is the clear winner for professional users and also | for enthusiasts. For begi...

[News] Google's Role in Promoting Linux at Symbian's and Windows' Expense

[News] Nokia's Linux-based N900 a "resounding success"; Dell's Linux Phone is Reviewed, Coming Soon

Novell counters Microsoft's Linux 'facts' with 'truth'
http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/story/0,10801,97277,00.html In comp.os.linux.advocacy, AeoN <ww@no.spam.net> wrote on Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:34:50 -0800 <1099781996.Zii9eWZGnpSUxQPmKOpV0g@1usenet>: > > http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/story/0,10801,97277,00.html > It gets weirder. I brought up that page; it was a bit thin on specifics though it at least brings up the topic of Microsoft's selective fact-pulling. However, the ad that came with asks the question "Which offers superior performance: Windows [green type] or Linux ...

[News] Linux Doesn't Need Oracle's ZFS Because of Oracle's Btrfs

[News] Palm's and Nokia'a Linux Phones Another Sign of the Platform's Success?

[News] Palm's 'Nova Linux' in the Making, Archos Made Linux-based Flexible
Palm Codenames Linux-Based Palm OS II Nova ,----[ Quote ] | Now comes word from Palm Infocenter that the PDA pioneer not only has yet | another, third, smartphone in the works, but that that device is being used | to test its long-delayed Linux-based follow up to the Palm OS, which now has | an internal codename of its own. `---- http://www.smartphonetoday.com/articles/2008/1/2008-1-11-Palm-Codenames-Linux.html Archos 605 WiFi Linux hack ,----[ Quote ] | Personally, I think the Archos 605 WiFi is a cool enough gadget on its own, | but there's always something to be said for hack...

[News] Novell's SEC Explains How Linux/FOSS 'Tax Money' is Passed on to Microsoft
[Novell] Annual Report ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft made an upfront net balancing payment to us of $108 million, and we | will make ongoing payments to Microsoft totaling a minimum of $40 million | over the five-year term of the agreement based on a percentage of our Open | Platform Solutions and Open Enterprise Server revenues. `---- http://biz.yahoo.com/e/071221/novl10-k.html The SEC Web site has a copy of the complete form. Related: ,----[ Quote ] | [Allison: ] "Yes, that's true, actually. I mean I have had people come | up to me and essentially off the record admit that ...

Web resources about - [News] [Linux] Has Novell's Lost IBM's Backing? - comp.os.linux.advocacy