[News] [Linux] Linux Gets Prettier, Mac OS X Plays Catch-up

H-K Suite [EN]

,----[ Quote ]
| Suite H-K is an union of skins, themes, icons, scripts and
| configuration files which got the purpose to create an elegant,
| linear Desktop. Differently from meny other dark themes, I tried
| to avoid reading problems in most commons programs. Here are some
| screenshot from version 0.1.
`----

http://embracesblog.mine.nu/?page_id=5

Apple's latest catchup:

[Apple's 'Beryl/XGL']

,----[ Quote ]
| With Mac OS X, you can multitask like never before. You can run
| several applications at once and have multiple windows open at the
| same time very easily. But when it comes to trying to find
| something specific, sorting through all of those open applications
| and windows can become time consuming and frustrating at best.
`----

http://www.yousoftware.com/desktops/desktops.php
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] [Linux] Mark Pigrim Satisfied with GNU/Linux, Having Ditched Mac OS X
One year with Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Any modern Linux distribution presents a good "out of the box" | experience, with friendly defaults and familiar metaphors. But a | year ago, several people recommended that I try alternative window | managers, and at the time, I didn't understand why. Now I do. It's | difficult to explain. People say that Ruby On Rails is | "opinionated software." I suppose all software reflects the opinions | of its authors, but some are certainly more opinionated than others, | and window managers, as a class, are more opinionated than m...

[News] Many Reasons for Linux on the Server; GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X

[News] [Linux] Mac OS X Becomes More Like Linux, Exposes Big List of Bugs
More Unix in Apple's Leopard ,----[ Quote ] | Among the new features comprising the Leopard's innards Apple points to | the automounter autofs, with the aid of which the Finder will in future | be able to mount remote file systems asynchronously. A new feature of | interest to both professional developers and interested laymen is | DTrace, borrowed from Sun's Solaris, which permits detailed monitoring | of the performance of programs during run-time. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/91448/from/rss09 Like all O/Ses, Apple has many problems in Tiger as well. W...

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] GNU/Linux Claimed Better Than Mac OS X, Vista's Dim View Leads to Linux
Why Mac OS X Sucks and Linux Rocks ,----[ Quote ] | For now, I decided to quit using Leopard (except when I want to take funny | and distorted pictures), and I am more determined than ever in making Linux | (Xubuntu) fully compatible with my Macbook Pro. You may ask why I think Linux | rocks. `---- http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/why-mac-os-x-sucks-and-linux-rocks.html With Vista's View Getting Dimmer, Should You Give Linux A Chance? ,----[ Quote ] | Ease of use. WHAT!?! Ease of use? Yes. I've said it now. It's easy to use. CD | based install (or even one that will go ove...

[News] Where Mac OS X and Solaris Get it Wrong (and Linux Has the Upper Hand)
The Apple way and the Linux way ,----[ Quote ] | OS X and Linux are essentially two extreme opposites. The Apple Way is to | make all of your decisions for you so that you're not burdened by choice. | Some people enjoy that -- they find simplicity in it that allows them to | concentrate on other things. To me, it's computing hell. `---- http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/322 Does Solaris need to be better Linux than Linux? ,----[ Quote ] | I think that comparing Solaris and Linux is a case of confusing apples | for oranges, and Sun should stick with the fruit it ...

[News] Mac OS X Can't be Prettier Than GNU/Linux

[News] Mac OS X Gets Free Open Source Hypervisor, Runs GNU/Linux
Free, Open-Source Virtualization for Mac OS X ,----[ Quote ] | The product supports a wide variety of x86 compatible guest operating | system such as: various versions of Windows from NT to Vista, DOS, | OpenBSD and Linux. Features include USB support, snapshots and | command-line scripting. `---- http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtualization/archives/2007/04/free_opensource.html Related (days ago): New Parallels Technology Network Delivers Software as Free, Pre-Configured Virtual Appliances ,----[ Quote ] | Virtual appliances (VA) are self-contained software modules, usually | built using ...

[News] OS X 10.5 / Vista / Linux Comparison Reveals Linux Strength
Engadget Comparison (Mended) ,----[ Quote ] | After reading an article on Engadget comparing OS X 10.5 and Windows Vista, I | decided it would be interesting to compare GNU/Linux with them both. `---- http://fophillips.org/?p=24 Related: The Right Operating System for You ,----[ Quote ] | With its minimal hardware requirements and solid security, Linux can | serve as a bulletproof primary OS. And with painless dual-booting | and virtualization options, including several free and open-source | apps and the kernel-based Xen software, you can easily try out the | latest in Linux without ...

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

Web resources about - [News] [Linux] Linux Gets Prettier, Mac OS X Plays Catch-up - comp.os.linux.advocacy

iPad 2 is prettier, perkier and visibly nimbler
To get the iPad into shape for its second coming, Apple has had to apply a few nips and tucks, the obligatory feature augmentation and some serious ...

Mobile World Congress 2015: LG’s Watch Urbane is prettier, but the Watch Urbane LTE does more stuff
LG's standalone, 4G-capable smartwatch is full of great functionality, but it's super-bulky and its less-smart basic variant is a touch prettier. ...

Google AdWords full-screen in-app ads get a little prettier with redesign
There might not be any topic more heated in today's digital space than advertising. In most cases, no ads is better than any ads at all. The ...

Apple job openings hinting at Siri API, prettier interface and additional languages
Siri, Apple’s artificial intelligence-driven digital secretary exclusive to iPhone 4S, is being worked on, improved and is about to get smarter, ...

Halls Unceremoniously Dumps JWT for Younger, Prettier Agency Partner
... been over the years, I’d say this is a positive development, creatively speaking. The post Halls Unceremoniously Dumps JWT for Younger, Prettier ...

Facebook hopes to lure Instagram, Snapchat users with prettier redesign
Facebook is focusing on feeds, including one for photos and one for brands. Facebook announced a redesign for the news feed its users see when ...

2015 Fiat Ducato and French siblings get prettier face, finer features
Filed under: Minivan/Van , Europe , Work , Peugeot , Citroën , Fiat , Ram The Ram ProMaster only introduced itself to US buyers - prognathous ...

azcentral.com video: Carmona to moderator: "Prettier" than Crowley
Democrat Richard Carmona tells "Sunday Square Off" moderator Brahm Resnik he's "prettier" than CNN's Candy Crowley as Resnik settles down an ...

Microsoft making Outlook.com prettier and more useful
... to why Google does not update such a popular service. Conversely, Outlook.com is a treat to use, as not only is it more functional, but prettier ...