[News] [Linux] Linux Used in Another Series of Routers

Solutions4ebiz Announces New Linux Router with Rackmount Capability

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers can order the Envoy router, along with other Linux
| routers and hardware solutions,
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9806.html

A special feature reminds the readers why almost nobody builds a system from
scratch anymore (maybe RIM did, but this has limitations).

Psion: the last computer

,----[ Quote ]
| The Series 5 pocket computer from Psion was launched 10 years ago this week.
| It was a remarkable achievement: entirely new silicon, a new operating
| system, middleware stack and applications were developed from scratch
| in just over two years.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/26/psion_special/

Companies can adopt and modify Linux for free. They cannot get the same RoI
from D-I-Y or something rigid like Windows CE, which only comes in vanilla.

Related:

Open source and secret sauce

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source router outperforming Cisco device in test revives the
| "commodity" vs. "special purpose" debate
|
| [...]
|
| Marketing trumped technology, however. Competitors would say "you don't
| want to trust your network to a PC" -- even though it really wasn't a PC.
| And FUD prevailed. Today we can expect to hear the same comments made in
| reference to open source. Will they work this time?
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2007/041107tolly.html?fsrc=rss-ibm

Comcast invests in Vyatta, open source router maker

,----[ Quote ]
| The company has raised a total of $18.5 million so far. The
| investment indicates that cable carriers are getting serious
| about chasing the small and medium sized businesses, and
| competing with the telephone companies in more than just
| consumer markets.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2007/04/01/vyatta-comcast/

Cellular modem/routers run Linux/Java/OSGi stack

,----[ Quote ]
| Board- and system-maker Arcom has launched a family of Linux-based
| cellular modem/routers aimed at telemetry, Internet access, and
| mobile computing applications.
`----

newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
> Solutions4ebiz Announces New Linux Router with Rackmount Capability
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Customers can order the Envoy router, along with other Linux
>| routers and hardware solutions,
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9806.html
>
> A special feature reminds the readers why almost nobody builds a system from
> scratch anymore (maybe RIM did, but this has limitations).
>
> Psion: the last computer
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The Series 5 pocket computer from Psion was launched 10 years ago this week.
>| It was a remarkable achievement: entirely new silicon, a new operating
>| system, middleware stack and applications were developed from scratch
>| in just over two years.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/26/psion_special/

The Series 5 was an excellent machine, I have one here - it was years
ahead of its time, and unlike the palm machines around at the time,
had a keyboard good enough to do real typing on.  I've also got one of
the very little known series 4 machines, and used to have a Revo until
my No1 son took it to school and then lost it...  Myself and Mrs Mark
both have TomToms, very good machines too.

The Register's guys are quite right, though, this is the day of the
appliance;  mp3 players, usb sticks, Nokia 770s, TomToms, etc. etc.  It
would be interesting to see a history of Acorn in the same way, as they
went from producing a single-board 6502-based computer to the Arm chip
design which powers so many, if not most, low-power devices today.

It does seem surprising that Psion didn't acquire Palm when they could
have done, although I suspect that if they had done, then it could've
delayed linux by quite a long time, since there would've been a
significant competitor to the Wintel offerings.  I've never had a Psion
Series 7, but I know many people still use them, and hold them in high
regard.

mark.kent (15323)