[News] [Linux] Mac OS X Becomes More Like Linux, Exposes Big List of Bugs

More Unix in Apple's Leopard

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the new features comprising the Leopard's innards Apple points to
| the automounter autofs, with the aid of which the Finder will in future
| be able to mount remote file systems asynchronously. A new feature of
| interest to both professional developers and interested laymen is
| DTrace, borrowed from Sun's Solaris, which permits detailed monitoring
| of the performance of programs during run-time.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/91448/from/rss09

Like all O/Ses, Apple has many problems in Tiger as well. Watch the list:

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update

,----[ QUote ]
| Apple on Wednesday afternoon released Mac OS X 10.4.10, a free
| maintenance update recommended for all PowerPC and Intel-based Mac
| computers running versions of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/20/apple_releases_mac_os_x_10_4_10_update.html
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Gets Prettier, Mac OS X Plays Catch-up
H-K Suite [EN] ,----[ Quote ] | Suite H-K is an union of skins, themes, icons, scripts and | configuration files which got the purpose to create an elegant, | linear Desktop. Differently from meny other dark themes, I tried | to avoid reading problems in most commons programs. Here are some | screenshot from version 0.1. `---- http://embracesblog.mine.nu/?page_id=5 Apple's latest catchup: [Apple's 'Beryl/XGL'] ,----[ Quote ] | With Mac OS X, you can multitask like never before. You can run | several applications at once and have multiple windows open at the | same ti...

[News] [Linux] Mark Pigrim Satisfied with GNU/Linux, Having Ditched Mac OS X
One year with Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Any modern Linux distribution presents a good "out of the box" | experience, with friendly defaults and familiar metaphors. But a | year ago, several people recommended that I try alternative window | managers, and at the time, I didn't understand why. Now I do. It's | difficult to explain. People say that Ruby On Rails is | "opinionated software." I suppose all software reflects the opinions | of its authors, but some are certainly more opinionated than others, | and window managers, as a class, are more opinionated than m...

[News] Many Reasons for Linux on the Server; GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] GNU/Linux Claimed Better Than Mac OS X, Vista's Dim View Leads to Linux
Why Mac OS X Sucks and Linux Rocks ,----[ Quote ] | For now, I decided to quit using Leopard (except when I want to take funny | and distorted pictures), and I am more determined than ever in making Linux | (Xubuntu) fully compatible with my Macbook Pro. You may ask why I think Linux | rocks. `---- http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/why-mac-os-x-sucks-and-linux-rocks.html With Vista's View Getting Dimmer, Should You Give Linux A Chance? ,----[ Quote ] | Ease of use. WHAT!?! Ease of use? Yes. I've said it now. It's easy to use. CD | based install (or even one that will go ove...

[News] New GNU/Linux Distribution Called Lin-X Looks Just Like Mac OS X

[News] Mac OS X-like Desktop Enovironment for Linux
GNUstep: A Free Software alternative to OpenStep ,----[ Quote ] | GNUstep is one of my favorite Free Software projects. The | development environment is one of the best I?ve ever used, | and the team continues to do sterling work. | | The popularity of OS X among geeks in recent years has led to | a lot more people discovering OpenStep through Cocoa. GNUstep | provides a much-needed Free Software alternative. `---- http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=665129&rl=1 Here's Steve Jobs with NeXTStEP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j02b8Fuz73A (NeXTSTEP Rel...

[News] Mac OS X User Changes to GNU/Linux and Likes It

[News] Yet Another Mac OS X-Like Dock for Linux
avant-window-navigator ,----[ Quote ] | Fully customisable dock-like window navigator for GNOME. `---- http://code.google.com/p/avant-window-navigator/ Some other docks/OS X lookalikes for Linux... macmenubar: http://static.flickr.com/112/284328104_6995c6f4b7_o.jpg Gnome Dock - An evolution of cairo dock: http://www.gnome-dock.org/trac/attachment/wiki/WikiStart/cairo-dock-ss.png KSmoothDock: http://ksmoothdock.sourceforge.net/ Engage: http://edevelop.org/node/1764 http://www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/albums/fluxbox/engage.jpg kxdocker: http://www.xiaprojects.com/www/prodotti/kxdock...

[News] GNU/Linux Distribution That Looks Like Mac OS X

[News] Former Microsoft Intern Likes GNU/Linux More than Mac OS X

[News] Ubuntu Linux Can Be Customised to Look Like Mac OS X (HOWTO)
I can't recall posting this before. If I did, I think it is worth re-iterating. http://users.utu.fi/ljtaim/ubuntuosx.php ,----[ Quote ] | I have noticed that many people try to imitate Mac OSX Tiger's look | with their current operating system. `---- Here are some screenshots: http://users.utu.fi/ljtaim/images/after_big_2.jpg http://users.utu.fi/ljtaim/images/after_big_3.jpg __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Monday 19 June 2006 09:57 \__ > I can't recall posting this before. If I did, I think it is worth > re-iterating. > > http://users.utu.fi/ljtaim/ubuntuosx.php > ...

[News] Making Ubuntu Linux Look Like Mac OS X and Windows XP
Changing the Ubuntu look This article will detail how to mold the Ubuntu Gnome desktop into anything you want it to be (including Windows and OS X) http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/change_ubuntu_look Some interesting screenshots here: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/change_ubuntu_look?page=0%2C5 ...

[News] OS X 10.5 / Vista / Linux Comparison Reveals Linux Strength
Engadget Comparison (Mended) ,----[ Quote ] | After reading an article on Engadget comparing OS X 10.5 and Windows Vista, I | decided it would be interesting to compare GNU/Linux with them both. `---- http://fophillips.org/?p=24 Related: The Right Operating System for You ,----[ Quote ] | With its minimal hardware requirements and solid security, Linux can | serve as a bulletproof primary OS. And with painless dual-booting | and virtualization options, including several free and open-source | apps and the kernel-based Xen software, you can easily try out the | latest in Linux without ...

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

[News] Mainsoft Calls Mono with Linux "Linux 2.0"; Windows Becomes More Like Linux
Starting flag waved for Race to Linux 2.0 ,----[ Quote ] | In a bid to highlight the ease with which applications can be ported | to Linux, the Mono project IBM and Mainsoft will host the 'Race | to Linux 2.0'. `---- http://www.pcpro.co.uk/os/news/106826/starting-flag-waved-for-race-to-linux-20.html Shouldn't this be the other way around? Something like this... Linuxification of an XP desktop ,----[ Quote ] | His case is not the ideal one: keeping Windows for playing specific | games. Some other use cases are more legitimate though: | | * Having a Windows XP desktop at wo...

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business smartphones from Italian handset | designer Enteos. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9710475530.html Open Linux developer phone opens up more ,----[ Quote ] | Trolltech has loosened key licensing restrictions on its | user-modifiable Linux-based mobile phone for open source software | developers. Users of the Greenphone will no longer be restricted to | running Qtopia software on the device, nor to using the device only | in its supplied hardware/software configuration. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4872069549.html Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will >| provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many >| thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") >| a...

IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X?
IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and MAC OS X? I set up SAMBA on the LInux machine and the MAC (running the very latest OSX) can copy files to the SAMBA share at lightning speeds. When I try and copy files from the LInux machine to the Mac they take an eternity. So slow in fact I have to kill the process . I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most sensible option ). navti wrote: > IN your opinion what is the best way to share files between LInux and > MAC O...

[News] Why GNU/Linux and Not Mac OS X

[News] Further Discussions About Mac OS X on Linux
Mac OS X at Odds With Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Mac OS X's BSD-based kernel puts it at the Unix end of the OS spectrum | and thus ripe for comparison with Linux. And this is precisely what's | been happening as of late. Some in the IT industry have called OS X on | the carpet for perceived problems compared to Linux. | | [...] | | That certainly got the attention of the Apple crowd. Some pro-Mac | pundits have gone so far as to defend against the notion that Linux | should replace the Darwin kernel for OS X. `---- http://www.serverwatch.com/news/article.php/3609506 O...

Web resources about - [News] [Linux] Mac OS X Becomes More Like Linux, Exposes Big List of Bugs - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For GNU package based on Linux kernel, see GNU Linux-libre . For ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . and video game consoles ...

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the operating system. For the kernel, see Linux kernel . For other uses, see Linux (disambiguation) . The development of ...

SQL Server for Linux coming in mid-2017
... of the Cloud and Enterprise Group, announced today that next year Microsoft will be releasing a version of SQL Server that runs on Linux . A ...

Microsoft releases Windows 10 IoT Core for Raspberry Pi 3 can it displace Linux on Pi?
... Pi Zero, while very limited , is quite the feat of engineering. For the most part, however, Raspberry Pi computers have been largely Linux ...

Microsoft is bringing SQL Server to Linux
When Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella extolled his company's love for Linux an open source operating system it previously opposed it would be natural ...

Microsoft's SQL Server Database Is Heading to Linux
Next year, Microsoft plans to release a version of its hybrid-cloud-friendly database software for the open-source operating system.

Microsoft announces SQL Server for Linux — wait, what?
... Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask of that old Lone Ranger, and you don't run Microsoft SQL Server on Linux ...