[News] [Linux] MIT Brings Linux to Uruguay, IBM Brings Open Source to Western Michigan University

Uruguay Children Try Low-Cost Laptops

| Some children began warming to the computers by playing "Tetris," a
| popular falling-blocks puzzle video game. Later they will explore
| the Linux operating system.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070518/hundred_dollar_laptop.html?.v=2

Western Michigan University Teams With IBM to Help Students Build Business
and Technology Skills for the 21st Century

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM is working with partner schools that support open computing standards
| and seek to use open source and IBM technologies for teaching purposes,
| both directly and via the Internet.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070518/0254712.html

More from Uruguay:

Villa Cardal, Uruguay: Center of worldwide attention

,----[ Quote ]
| The experience was incredible, there are many details to comment
| that I promise to continue blogging in the next days. At the moment
| you can see the gallery of photos that I took in the place.
`----

http://olpc-ceibal.blogspot.com/2007/05/villa-cardal-uruguay-world-center-of.html

Related (more photos):

Kids In Jiri Love XO [One Laptop per Child]!

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, the day was a huge success and another significant step
| in raising awareness of XO and just how valuable it can and will
| be to the children of Nepal!
`----

http://olpcnepal.blogspot.com/2007/04/kids-in-jiri-love-xo.html

The XO in the Real World

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of the children were able to make it to the congress, walking
| around the showroom with their XO?s and showing attendees what they
| liked best about the laptop.
`----

http://www.j5live.com/?p=357

Nigerian students power up their laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Khaled Hassounah, director of Nicholas Negroponte's One Laptop Per
| Child (OLPC) program in Africa and the Middle East, has spent the
| last year touring schools in Nigeria. He and his team chose a school
| 10 miles outside Nigeria's capital, Abuja, to deploy the company's
| first child-friendly laptops in the region.
`----

http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6175025-1.html?part=rss&tag=6175025&subj=news
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Uruguay Children Try Low-Cost Laptops

> | Some children began warming to the computers by playing "Tetris," a
> | popular falling-blocks puzzle video game. Later they will explore
> | the Linux operating system.

I'm amazed that this project, which was conceived...what...2 years ago?
  Has, in its first product run, made something that the audience seems
to be instantly taking to.

It's even more amazing when you consider they completely disgarded the
traditional GUI paradigms for something appropriate and based on

a. Seymour Papert's work in education
b. Insight into the needs of the classroom
c. Demand to make the software footprint small

0
jabailo (8241)