[News] Linux Mobile Phones Get New Features; Another Linux Smart Phone PDA from Motorola

Red Bend Software and Trolltech to Bring Over-the-Air Software Component
Management to Linux Mobile Phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobile phones have become sophisticated communications and multi-media
| devices. As functionality increases, so too does the amount of software
| inside mobile phones. Operators, manufacturers and software developers need
| the flexibility and control to update, add, change and remove any software
| component inside the mobile phone at any point during the device's lifetime.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/080122/0350817.html

Motorola MOTOMING A1600 3G GPS Linux Smart Phone PDA

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola announces their new PDA phones, MOTOMING A1600 SmartPhone. The next
| generation of motorola MOTOMING A1200 with enhanced features.
`----

http://www.storeplace.net/2008/01/21/motorola-motoming-a1600-3g-gps-linux-smart-phone-pda/

Quote for the day:

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."

                --John Warden, lead attorney at Microsoft

Related:

Mot demo's Linux-based DVB-H handheld

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola has announced a personal media player (PMP) and related broadcast
| transmission equipment based on the emerging wireless TV broadcast standard,
| DVB-H (digital video broadcast, handhelds). The Linux-based Mobile TV DH01
| handheld will enable the viewing of live, on-demand, and recorded programs,
| says Motorola.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2037776072.html

MOTOMING 2 Has Arrived As Update By Motorola

,----[ Quote ]
| The first MOTOMING (Motorola A1200) was quite the nice handheld, because it
| ran on Linux and had a cool business card recognition program that would
| automatically insert all of that pertinent information into a phonebook
| contact.
`----

http://www.htlounge.net/articles/4812/1/MOTOMING-2-Has-Arrived-As-Update-By-Motorola

Motorola to introduce next-generation Linux-based Ming handsets in 2Q08

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola plans to launch its next-generation Linux-based "Ming" handsets in
| the second quarter of 2008, with the hand input intelligence handsets to be
| available in both high-end and entry-level versions, according to Bill Chen,
| general manager of of mobile device business at Motorola Taiwan. Previously,
| the Ming was released only in a high-end version.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20071218PB202.html

Linux the fastest-growing smartphone OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, in the world's largest mobile phone market (China), Linux already
| has a 30 percent share, CCID Consulting Company said in March.
`----

Motorola sees Linux as its mobile mainstay

,----[ Quote ]
| Cell phones traditionally have used proprietary operating systems, fragmented
| even among one manufacturer's products. Motorola and other vendors have also
| opened up phone platforms through the Java and BREW software environments.
| Linux will help to further expand the community of developers for software,
| which is becoming an increasingly important part of mobile phones, said
| Christy Wyatt, vice president of ecosystem and market development at
| Motorola. The company has shipped about 9 million Linux handsets in the past
| four years and is now extending the OS down from smartphones to midrange
| handsets such as the Razr2.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070808/tc_infoworld/90862

Motorola wins $394 million in China Mobile deals

,----[ Quote ]
| Motorola sealed contracts worth $394 million in the first half of the year to
| supply telecommunication gear to China Mobile, the larger of China's two
| wireless carriers, the companies said Monday.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6202156.html
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Mobile Linux Runs Palm OS Applications; New 3G Linux Phones; Open Linux Phone Made More Attractive
Mobile Linux running Palm OS apps demoed ,----[ Quote ] | Access hopes ALP and its Eclipse-based Developer Suite will | provide a long-awaited forward migration path for the many | thousands of "Garnet OS" (recently renamed from "Palm OS") | applications developed throughout the decades since "Palm-Pilot" | first became a household word, in the 1980s. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2968683379.html Linux powers pair of 3G dual-mode phones ,----[ Quote ] | MontaVista says its device-oriented Linux operating system was | used in two new 3G business sma...

[News] [Linux] Motorola's New Linux-based Phone (ROKR Z6) Gets Major Praise
Review: Motorola's Linux Powered ROKR Z6 ,----[ Quote ] | Motorola's MOTOROKR Z6 has an awful lot going for it. It has a capable | music player, takes good photos, and offers new voice technology that we've | never seen from a major manufacturer. It is, to be sure, an eminently | enjoyable slider phone. I would have liked for its internal antenna to have | performed a bit more strongly and I'm not real fond of the d-pad's nail | file like surface, but apart from those few things, I really have enjoyed | the past few weeks I've had with the Z6. | | I'm very p...

[News] Motorola Brings New Linux Phone, Open Linux Platform
Motorola produces a Linux-based slider with an open platform ,----[ Quote ] | But the real standout feature of this device is that it runs on Motorola's | mobile Linux platform, Motomagx. `---- http://www.betanews.com/article/Motorola_produces_a_Linuxbased_slider_with_an_open_platform/1202762519 Recent: Is this the touchscreen Motorola A810? ,----[ Quote ] | Anything is possible we guess, but this Motorola A810 looks a bit like it | might have been put together at kindergarten craft hour. Apparently this | Linux-based — LiMo? — 2.4-inch touchscreen device will feature handwritin...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] Linux Phones Keep WINNING, Palm's Linux Phone Gets Flash

[News] Dell to Sell Linux Phones, Motorola Gets Closer to Linux/Google

[News] [Linux] Motorola Shows Off Its New Linux Phone (Video), ARM Supports OpenGL
Moto ROKR e6 Linux-Based Smartphone Gets Screen Time ,----[ Quote ] | It's exiciting that Moto's not using Windows Mobile for its smartphones | but making its own Linux-based OS. Samsung is rumored to be doing the | same thing, but hasn't had the speed Moto's enjoying. While we'd like | to see anyone make an alternative to WinMo, the jury's still out on if | Linux is the answer. `---- http://crunchgear.com/2007/05/02/moto-rokr-e6-linux-based-smartphone-gets-screen-time/ ARM licenses 3D graphics benchmarks ,----[ Quote ] | Petri Talala, VP of Futuremark's mobile ...

[News] New Motorola Phones Run Linux and Palm May Take Linux Also Into Sub-notebooks

[News] Open Mobile Alliance Established to Promote Linux Phones; Motorola Pressured to Support Desktop Linux
Open Mobile Alliance to Support Mobile Linux Handsets ,----[ Quote ] | The Linux Phone Standards (LiPS) Forum says has established a formal liaison | and framework for cooperation between the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA) and | LiPS. In particular, LiPS delivers specifications and standards for services | and user applications on Linux-based telephony platforms, and OMA develops | open specifications for mobile content and services. `---- http://www.cellular-news.com/story/26100.php Press release: Linux Phone Standards Forum and Open Mobile Alliance Create Standardization Liaison htt...

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] [Linux] Motorola Brings Linux Phones to America
Motorola finally launches U.S. Linux phone ,----[ Quote ] | Linux/Java has topped CEO Ed Zander's list of things to look for | from Motorola as it attempts a financial turnaround. At a New | York press conference this morning, Zander introduced Linux-based" | Rokr" and "Razr2" models, along with new top-level executives. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8879219087.html That ought to do some damage to Symbian. Windows mobile is almost nowhere to be seen with just about 4% market share. This is one of Microsoft's divisions, which I suspect is losing $billio...

[News] Acer Chooses Linux for Phones, More Android/Linux Phones Coming

[News] Multicore Linux Phones Are Coming, Other Linux Phones Make Strides

[News] Linux 2.6.31 Gets New Features, New OpenCL Linux Driver

[News] Linux-based Nokia Tablet Gets a High Score, Another Linux PDA Gets Better
Nokia impresses with latest Internet Tablet ,----[ Quote ] | What it is: This is a very small, thin and portable handheld device with a | large color touchscreen (800 by 480 pixels) and the ability to perform Web | browsing, play multimedia (music, photos and videos), read e-mails and access | other applications (games, calculator, etc.). | | [...] | | Grade: 4 stars (out of five) `---- http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2007/110707-cool-tools.html Linux IM pad beefs up, invites hacking ,----[ Quote ] | Zipit Wireless has updated its Linux-based, WiFi-connected instant messagin...

[News] [Linux] Mobile Phone Eye Candy Comes to Linux Devices
Better Visual Effects on Mobile Linux UI ,----[ Quote ] | Mizi Research has brought new updates for the Linux graphical interface | of mobile phones. They managed to do this by upgrading Prizm to version | 3.0 and equipping it with a series of nice enhancements. `---- http://news.softpedia.com/news/Better-Visual-Effects-on-Mobile-Linux-UI-55095.shtml Another nice Linux UI below (video). Related: [Video] Intel MIDINUX operating system for MIDs in action ,----[ Quote ] | Do you remember when we spoke about MIDs, Intel's version of | UMPCs with mobile operating system? MIDs are suppose...

[News] Exiting Linux Phone Rumours and a New Linux Stack Unveiled
Super Phone from Motorola Coming Soon? [rumour] ,----[ Quote ] | The upcoming device is a Linux-based slider handset featuring a QWERTY | keyboard, 640x480 VGA display (maybe touch-screen), 3G connectivity, | integrated GPS, Bluetooth 2.0, 5Mpix camera with Xenon flash from Kodak, FM | radio, 3.5mm audio out, and support for a great variety of audio and video | codecs. `---- http://www.cellaz.com/news/1046/super-phone-from-motorola-coming-soon/ Linux telephony stack demo'd in China ,----[ Quote ] | TapRoot Systems is demonstrating its telephony middleware for | Linux/Qtopia-b...

[News] Android/Linux

[News] Palm to Unleash Linux Smartphone in October; Motorola Linux Phone Reviewed
Palm to launch Linux-based smartphone in October, say sources ,----[ Quote ] | Palm is expected to launch its first Linux-based smartphone in October, with | the company likely to introduce more Linux models in the future, according to | sources close to the company. `---- http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20070823PD207.html Motorola ROKR E6 Review ,----[ Quote ] | The ROKR E6 is the second in the MOTOROKR range, after the not so popular | iTunes-compatible E1. The E6 is an elegant PDA handset with multimedia | capabilities that rival much of the smartphone market. `---- http://www....

[News] New Release of Linux Toolkit for Phone GUI; Linux Benchmarks Testbed

[News] Nettop Runs GNU/Linux and New Phone Runs Linux on ARM9

[News] Motorola Entered Linux Development World, LG Releases Linux Phone

[News] Another Linux Gadget is Born; Wizpy (Linux PMP) Gets More Features
Linux to power mysterious mobile gadget? ,----[ Quote ] | The undefined and unnamed device reportedly has been developed in | collaboration with Sharp and Access, the latter of which has lately been hard | at work perfecting a Linux stack for mobile devices. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6435117311.html Combo PMP/Linux boot device gains online storage ,----[ Quote | One of the oldest Linux distributors, TurboLinux has traditionally focused on | enterprise desktop and server markets in Japan and India. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9174640712.html Related: T...

[News] Everything in Mobile Devices is Linux, Linux, Linux....
Better Than Kindle? ,----[ Quote ] | While I'm thinking about all the things I'd do with it, this is what comes to | my mind: this thing cost around $400. There are few other devices that cost | that much these days: | | * Nokia N810 | * Asus eeePC 701 | * OLPC `---- http://justanystuff.blogspot.com/2007/12/better-than-kindle.html Here's a good early look at Android: Hands on with Android: XML Parsing ,----[ Quote ] | Here is an XML parser that I created to showcase Android’s UI. It retrieves | NBA, MLB and NFL scores off of my web server. The true beauty is ...

Web resources about - [News] Linux Mobile Phones Get New Features; Another Linux Smart Phone PDA from Motorola - comp.os.linux.advocacy