[News] [Linux] Palm's Muchly-anticipated Gizmo Runs GNU/Linux Indeed

Palm's new gizmo is...

,----[ Quote ]
| The device, at about $500, is priced closely to low-end laptops.
|
| [...]
|
| # 5 hours of workable battery life, and the charger is cell phone-size,
|   not a giant laptop brick.
| # Weighs under 2.5 pounds, and is less than an inch thick.
| # No touch pad -- uses a pointer like a Thinkpad.
| # It runs Linux.
| # All solid-state, of course, no hard disk.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9723725-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Previously:

Hawkin's New Device Expected Next Week

,----[ Quote ]
| The earliest indications that Palm founder Jeff Hawkins had a major
| new project in the works came in August of 2005. In an interview,
| Mr. Hawkins revealed for the first time that Palm had a new
| "child" technology in the works which was completely separate
| from Palm Inc's PDA and smartphone businesses.
|
| [...]
|
| Roughly around the same time job listings on Palm Inc's jobs website listed
| numerous positions for Linux development for a new generation
| of Palm devices.
`----

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9430/hawkins-new-device-expected-next-week/
http://tinyurl.com/3ywo5y

Palm Developing Its Own Linux-Based Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm, Inc. revealed today that it is developing its own operating
| system that will be based on Linux. This will be completely
| separate from the similar operating system being developed by
| Access Systems.
`----

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsid=12954

Linux Platform Media Mobile Bluestreak Technology Signs Worldwide Licensing
Agreement With ACCESS

,----[ Quote ]
| Bluestreak Technology today announced a multi-year license agreement
| with ACCESS CO., LTD. that enables Bluestreak's MachBlue technology
| to be offered with ACCESS Linux Platform and ACCESS NetFront
| Browser.
`----

http://www.assodigitale.it/content/view/6943/107/

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

On Wed, 30 May 2007 22:12:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Palm's new gizmo is...
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The device, at about $500, is priced closely to low-end laptops.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| # 5 hours of workable battery life, and the charger is cell phone-size,
>|   not a giant laptop brick.
>| # Weighs under 2.5 pounds, and is less than an inch thick.
>| # No touch pad -- uses a pointer like a Thinkpad.
>| # It runs Linux.
>| # All solid-state, of course, no hard disk.
> `----
>
> http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9723725-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

I had one of those 8 years ago, it was called an IBM Workpad z50, though it
ran Windows CE (and went 12+ hours on a charge).  Some revolutionary
device.

People complained about the Origami having a short battery life, and this
isn't much better, and it's not anywhere near as functional.  No tablet, no
hard disk (though some might consider that a benefit), doesn't look like
there's sound (no mp3's or games)...

I'll still take an Origami over this (even with Linux on it).  you can do a
lot more with the origami, especially with a fold-up bluetooth keyboard and
mouse.
0
erik38 (8626)