[News] "Linux performance appears to be about 25% faster" Than Windows, SGI Uses GNU/Linux

Windows Server vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| "With Linux, the operating system is
| effectively free," says Phil Cox, principal
| consultant with SystemExperts. "With
| Microsoft, there are licensing fees for any
| version, so cost is a factor." And relative
| to any physical hardware platform, Linux
| performance appears to be about 25% faster,
| Cox says.
`----

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=110508BA-1A64-6A71-CEB0AA3218A4C060

SGI ends Itanium era with UV supers

,----[ Quote ]
| The full Altix UV 1000 machine, which first
| lashes together 256 blades into a fat tree
| configuration and then links these clusters
| together in an 8x8 2D torus, for a total of
| 16,384 cores, will be available by the end of
| the calendar year, delivering 74.3 teraflops
| in a global shared memory system running
| Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 and
| SGI's ProPack extensions. Red Hat's
| Enterprise Linux is now supported on the
| Altix boxes, too.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/04/sgi_ships_altix_uv_propack/

Recent:

Cray-1 resurfaces in pieces on eBay

,----[ Quote ]
| What are the odds that two different
| sellers on both sides of the Pond would
| find themselves peddling some of the
| processing modules of the original Cray-1
| vector supercomputer?
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/24/cray_1_gate_module_ebay/

Nearly every supercomputer runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Announced earlier today, the 35th list of
| the top 500 supercomputers contains few
| surprises, just that Linux has almost total
| domination of the list.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/39471-nearly-every-supercomputer-runs-linux

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

25%?

Linuxiac (an idiot who used to post here) claimed Linux was 50x faster
than Windows.

When will you bozos settle on one stupid number?

On 6/7/2010 4:39 PM, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Windows Server vs. Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "With Linux, the operating system is
> | effectively free," says Phil Cox, principal
> | consultant with SystemExperts. "With
> | Microsoft, there are licensing fees for any
> | version, so cost is a factor." And relative
> | to any physical hardware platform, Linux
> | performance appears to be about 25% faster,
> | Cox says.
> `----
>
> http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=110508BA-1A64-6A71-CEB0AA3218A4C060
0
nospam11 (18349)
6/7/2010 10:39:03 PM
DFS <nospam@dfs_.com> writes:

> 25%?
>
> Linuxiac (an idiot who used to post here) claimed Linux was 50x faster
> than Windows.
>
> When will you bozos settle on one stupid number?

Some other moron claimed that only Linux could cope with his millisecond
synchronisation needs for his "cluster". Sounded like Dumb Willy - all
googled up words and no clue.

"Advocates" seem to be going a bit insane lately IMO.

> On 6/7/2010 4:39 PM, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

[News] Linux 2.6.32 in Review, "Linux is Not an OS"

"Heroes" again, or "Linux in the Wild" or "Linux on TV", this time with screenshots
Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 Linux in the wild. What more proof do you need? later... -- JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com | http://www.newtnotes.com DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/ JDS wrote: > Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the > KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" > > http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 ...

[News] Startup Uses Linux in "Chip-on-Film", Motorola Commits to Linux (Digest)
Start-up touts "chip-on-film" mobile Linux core ,----[ Quote ] | A Silicon Valley startup is preparing to ship a mobile Linux | wireless development kit that utilizes new "chip-on-film" technology. | Unicon Systems says its MKit uses similar PCB (printed circuit board) | technology to the PCBs within Motorola's line of ultra-thin Razr | phones. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7858194638.html Speaking of Motorola Linux's phone success surprises LinuxWorld attendees ,----[ Quote ] | Within the next couple of years, Linux will power more than ha...

[News] ASUS Sub-notebooks to Run GNU/Linux (Because "It's Better with Linux")

[News] [Linux] The "The $72 PC" Runs Linux
The $72 PC ,----[ Quote ] | The computer boots from a USB flash drive running an operating system | called Damn Small Linux that can handle just about any job. Got any | grand ideas for a sub-C-note PC? `---- http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/157a2ea4fc033110vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html#77017053692583357 Roy Schestowitz wrote: > The $72 PC > > ,----[ Quote ] > | The computer boots from a USB flash drive running an operating system > | called Damn Small Linux that can handle just about any job. Got any > | grand ideas for a sub-C-note PC? > `---- > > http:/...

[News] "Italian survey: 50% of companies use OpenOffice.org; 63% use GNU/Linux"

independent tests reveal
BAWAWWAAAAA once again linux finishes in last place. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_hd3000_winbuntu&num=4 Intel Graphics On Linux Still Behind Windows Published on February 16, 2011 When running the Lightsmark OpenGL lighting benchmark, which is more advanced than the ioquake3/Qfusion-based games, the Linux performance is horrific in comparison to Windows. The Windows 7 x64 Professional SP1 performance is far better than Linux averaging the frame-rates, the Windows average is 55 FPS while the Linux frame-rate is just 15 FPS. At the end of the day, the Intel Sandy Bridge "HD 3000 graphics" as found on the Core i5 2500K is a huge step forward in terms of performance compared to earlier generations of Intel integrated graphics. As said last week, its fast and comparable to other Mesa / Gallium3D drivers with discrete hardware. However, today's tests confirm that Intel's classic Mesa Linux graphics driver remains noticeably behind the Intel Windows graphics driver, even with the brand new Sandy Bridge graphics processor. Over time, we will ideally see Intel's Mesa performance close in on the Windows driver performance, but do not expect to see this in the near-term. On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 14:27:58 -0500, One-Shot One-Kill wrote: > BAWAWWAAAAA > > once again linux finishes in last place. > > > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_hd3000_winbuntu&num=...

[News] Fedora GNU/Linux 13 to be Called "Segovia" Or "Commodus"

[News] "Astounded" by Desktop GNU/Linux After Windows Failure

[News] PayPal Uses GNU/Linux and "Sees No Other Way to Do It"
Linux, open source software pay off for PayPal ,----[ Quote ] | PayPal runs thousands of Linux-based, single-rack-unit servers, | which host the company's Web-presentation layer, middleware and | user interface. Thompson says he quickly saw the economic, | operational and development advantages of open source and | Linux technology. He now sees no other way to do it. `---- http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php/id;351453853;fp;4;fpid;4 Op Mon, 26 Mar 2007 09:43:47 -0800, schreef John Locke: > On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:49:50 +0100, Roy Schestowitz > <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>...

[News] How Conferences Substituted GNU with "Linux" and Free Software with "Open Source"

[News] GNU/Linux in "Software and Desktops in 2009", "Operating Systems of 2009"

[News] The "Linux Agenda" and Linux Flipping Over the 2% Rule
The Secret Linux Agenda ,----[ Quote ] | For all its problems: many self inflicted, I still think Open is better. I'm | a glass-half-full type. I also remind myself all the time that despite | appearances, Open Source is not a computer religion. It is just a good idea. | | And it is... The Secret Linux Agenda `---- http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-carl/steve-carl/The-Secret-Linux-Agenda Needed - The Two Percent Solution ,----[ Quote ] | With the exception of an ant colony and a kibbutz, two percent of the | population will fuel and affect the progress of that society. The rest of ...

[News] Linux Supported by a Big Red
Don't let the trolls spew out just the negative spins to this story. Big Blue and Big Red now jointly work to address the demand for Linux (yesterday's news). Announcing Oracle Unbreakable Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle Unbreakable Linux is a support program that | provides enterprises with industry-leading global | support for Linux. Recognizing the demand for true | enterprise-quality Linux support and seeing an | opportunity to significantly reduce IT infrastructure | costs, Oracle is now offering Linux operating | system support. `---- http://www.oracle.com/technologies/linux/in...

Web resources about - [News] "Linux performance appears to be about 25% faster" Than Windows, SGI Uses GNU/Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy