[News] Linux Today is Easy, LinuxToday on 'Marketing' Linux

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message

> The Year in Operating Systems: No battle of big ideas
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Think of how much easier it is to link to a wireless network in Linux
> today
> | than it was only a few years ago, just as an example.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/the_year_in_oses/

He makes some decent points but I don't agree with this one at all:

<quote>
I'm not real happy with Linux distributions that try to hide the CLI as
though it were shameful, or dumb down their interfaces to an insulting
level. Like start menu entries that don't use the program's real name. For
one example, on my Kubuntu system GParted appears as "Partition Manager."
Did someone think that "GParted" was too scary? What if I had more than one
graphical partition manager installed? I think they should stick with the
proper command name instead of adding layers of useless confusion.
</quote>

The reason that I disagree is because someone new to Linux would have
absolutely zero idea what a "GParted" is. They would know what a 'Partition
Manager' is though.

I'd say list the item as: GParted (Partition Manager)  - or something like
that. Let's be realistic, anyone who is trying out Linux is by definition a
new user who isn't familiar with any of this stuff. They're already a bit
uncomfortable and hesitant with their new OS. You gotta at least give them
some /clues/ what these menu items are.

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 01:38:02 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> The Year in Operating Systems: No battle of big ideas

Here comes "The Year of Linux" propaganda again, right on queue.

> The Wrong Way To Sell Linux

Sell it?

You guys can't even give Linux away!

You mean you've been trying to sell Linux?

No wonder it's desktop market share is still at about 0.8 percent.
0
gmstewart1953 (1217)
12/18/2008 3:08:46 AM
After takin' a swig o' grog, Ezekiel belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> I'd say list the item as: GParted (Partition Manager)  - or something like
> that. Let's be realistic, anyone who is trying out Linux is by definition a
> new user who isn't familiar with any of this stuff. They're already a bit
> uncomfortable and hesitant with their new OS. You gotta at least give them
> some /clues/ what these menu items are.

It does take awhile to get familiar with where everything is on a Linux
system.  Took me about a month before I felt comfortable, and I used
"linuxconf" as a crutch for quite awhile..

--
I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to promote
peace than our governments.  Indeed, I think that people want peace so much