[News] Linux Today's Editor on What Makes a Perfect GNU/Linux Desktop

Editor's Note: the Quest for the Perfect Desktop Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Naturally, the perfect Linux is different for
| every user. I want something that Terry can use
| without having vexing little problems cropping
| up all the time. It is enough work learning to
| use applications like Audacity, Ardour, Digikam,
| and OpenOffice without also having to babysit a
| colicky Linux. It seems to me that the "noob-
| friendly" distros like Ubuntu, Mandriva, and
| openSUSE start out great, but the more you use
| them the more weird little glitches they
| exhibit. I want something with a reasonable
| degree of sanity, and something I can fix
| without having to untangle mare's nests of
| distro-specific "improvements."
|
| These are my criteria for the perfect desktop
| Linux distro:
|
|     * Rolling releases and continual upgrades. I
|     think fresh installs with new releases are
|     silly and should be done only when it's
|     absolutely necessary, like a system that is
|     hopelessly messed-up. A good Linux gets
|     better with age, it's not like Windows which
|     runs down like a cheap wind-up clock.
|     * Reasonably fresh package versions
|     * Stable
|     * Easy to maintain
|     * Active dev team and community
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2010-04-16-030-35-OP-CY-SW

Related:

German Foreign Ministry starts open source blitzkreig

,----[ Quote ]
| "The embassies in Japan and Korea have completely switched over, the embassy
| in Madrid has been exclusively using GNU/Linux since October last year," said
| Rolf Schuster, a diplomat at the German Embassy in Madrid.
`----

http://www.itexaminer.com/german-foreign-ministry-starts-open-source-blitzkreig.aspx

US ambassador to the EU was former Microsoft lobbyist

,----[ Quote ]
| Before C. Boyden Gray was named as George Bush's number one person in
| Europe, he was a lawyer lobbying on behalf of Microsoft.
`----

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] [Linux] It's All About GNU/Linux on the DreamWorks Desktops (and Servers)
DreamWorks Animation "Shrek the Third": Linux Feeds an Ogre ,----[ Quote ] | All the big film studios primarily use Linux for animation and | visual effects. Perhaps no commercial Linux installation is larger | than DreamWorks Animation, with more than 1,000 Linux desktops and | more than 3,000 server CPUs. `---- http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9653 Needless to say, they don't surf the Web with these workstations (yet another reason to ignore Web stats-based figures). Related: ,----[ Quote ] | "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at m...

[News] [Linux] Are Dell's GNU/Linux Desktops Coming to the United Kingdom?
Dell to launch Ubuntu Linux in the UK ,----[ Quote ] | Moreover, in an exclusive survey by Dell, around 60% of the people | said that they prefer Ubuntu over any other Linux distribution. `---- http://www.empire-elements.co.uk/articles/dell-to-launch-ubuntu-linux-in-the-uk.html I've asked the guy if he has something to validate this. Sounds like nothing but the vague and loose promise from a ZDNet interview. This can happen sooner or later. Related: Firefox users urge Dell to preinstall the browser ,----[ Quote ] | On IdeaStorm, the Firefox preinstall petition has collected more tha...

[News] [Linux] Best Time to Switch to Desktop Linux; Oracle's Linux Gains Momentum
Never a better time to switch to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | With Microsoft having launched their new Vista operating system on | an unwilling public, there's never been a better time to abandon | Microsoft to their fate and switch to either Linux or an Apple Mac. `---- http://dirkgently.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/never-a-better-time-to-switch-to-linux/ Oracle's Linux initiative continues to build momentum against Red Hat ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle continued its enterprise Linux power play last week, this | time bringing a host of big-name enterprise IT partners into the | fold of its Unbrea...

[News] [Linux] Another Company Chooses Linux; Oracle's 'Linux Family' Extends Too
Columbitech Taps SUSE Linux Enterprise From Novell to Help Retailers Reach PCI Compliance and Safeguard Customer Data ,----[ Quote ] | This offering will give retailers PCI compliance by securing all | wireless devices and providing secure wireless access to the | back-end systems. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070605005558&newsLang=en Momentum continues for Oracle ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle recently announced that momentum continues to build | around the Oracle Unbreakable Linux Support Program (which includes | supp...

[News] Microsoft's Linux 'Sellouts' Lose to Truly Free GNU/Linux
The World Series of Linux: Round 1 ,----[ Quote ] | But, clearly, Ubuntu shined. It has earned the right to play in the | championship round of The World Series of Linux. The next round will | determine its opponent, as the RPM Round pits SLED 10, Fedora 7 and PCLinuxOS | to compete to pick the best out of those distributions. `---- http://www.crn.com/software/204802194 Guess who lost here? Xandros and Linspire. Here is OpenSUSE losing: First Kubuntu Impressions ,----[ Quote ] | Well, seems like Kubuntu is the clear winner for professional users and also | for enthusiasts. For begi...

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] Google's Impact on GNU/Linux Desktop Adoption and "2011 as the Year of Linux"

[News] Palm's 'Nova Linux' in the Making, Archos Made Linux-based Flexible
Palm Codenames Linux-Based Palm OS II Nova ,----[ Quote ] | Now comes word from Palm Infocenter that the PDA pioneer not only has yet | another, third, smartphone in the works, but that that device is being used | to test its long-delayed Linux-based follow up to the Palm OS, which now has | an internal codename of its own. `---- http://www.smartphonetoday.com/articles/2008/1/2008-1-11-Palm-Codenames-Linux.html Archos 605 WiFi Linux hack ,----[ Quote ] | Personally, I think the Archos 605 WiFi is a cool enough gadget on its own, | but there's always something to be said for hack...

[News] GNU/Linux Claimed Better Than Mac OS X, Vista's Dim View Leads to Linux
Why Mac OS X Sucks and Linux Rocks ,----[ Quote ] | For now, I decided to quit using Leopard (except when I want to take funny | and distorted pictures), and I am more determined than ever in making Linux | (Xubuntu) fully compatible with my Macbook Pro. You may ask why I think Linux | rocks. `---- http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/why-mac-os-x-sucks-and-linux-rocks.html With Vista's View Getting Dimmer, Should You Give Linux A Chance? ,----[ Quote ] | Ease of use. WHAT!?! Ease of use? Yes. I've said it now. It's easy to use. CD | based install (or even one that will go ove...

[News] Palm's Linux-based OS in the Making; =?UTF-8?B?RXhvbuKAmXM=?= Quran PDA Runs Linux Too

[News] IBM's GNU/Linux and Standards Chief on a Future with GNU/Linux

[News] Windows Users Make Their O/S More Like Linux, But It's No Linux
Seeking a little Linux? Try Blackbox ,----[ Quote ] | What else do I get with Blackbox? In addition to the memory savings, I get a | cleaner, simpler interface reminiscent of Linux, the free, open-source | operating system. The style that I chose, "mourn-blue," is a restful | dark-grayish-blue, with a narrow task bar at the top of the page. | | [...] | | So far, I'm enjoying the streamlined interface, the Linux-like multiple | Desktops, and the overall minimalist appearance. I may decide to go all the | way and install it to boot up into Blackbox every time. `---- h...

[News] Stephen Fry Advocates GNU/Linux, Linux 'Desktop' Domination Possible
Can Stephen Fry deliver open source to the UK? ,----[ Quote ] | “The two great pillars of Open Source are the GNU project and Linux. I shan’t | burden you with too much detail, I’ll just make the outrageous claim that | your computer will be running some descendant of those two within the next | five years and that your life will be better and happier as a result.” | | Fry has previously advocated the adoption of Firefox and discussed the | problems caused by proprietary music formats, amongst other things. `---- http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/02/12/can-stephen-fry-del...

Web resources about - [News] Linux Today's Editor on What Makes a Perfect GNU/Linux Desktop - comp.os.linux.advocacy