[News] LinuxCon 2010 Targets Linux, But "GNU/Linux" is Important

LinuxCon 2010 Call for Papers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation has announced that the
| Call for Papers deadline for LinuxCon 2010
| will be the 31st of March. Registration for
| the non-profit organisation's second annual
| conference, which will take place from the
| 10th to the 12th of August, 2010 in Boston
| Massachusetts,  is now open. Jim Zemlin,
| executive director of The Linux Foundation
| said that, “LinuxCon has quickly become the
| destination for collaborating in person on all
| matters Linux".
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/LinuxCon-2010-Call-for-Papers-921124.html

There's nothing wrong with being thankful (or why I say GNU/Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| For example, simplicity for newcomers: What
| about when you have a distro that doesn't have
| Linux inside of it? Say, Debian's hurd or
| kFreeBSD or NetBSD ports? Those are distros,
| but Linux is not to be found inside cause it
| (the kernel) has been replaced for another
| kernel. What are we gonna call them? Debian
| Non-Linux? Go figure how you will explain that
| to newcomers ("sure... it's Debian Linux...
| but it has no linux... yet it is linux".
| Priceless).
|
| Some people have said that it's out of
| Stallman's big ego that he wants everybody to
| call it GNU. Well, I think Stallman hits the
| nail (at least on the funny part) when he says
| that "sure... and that's why I ask people to
| call it Stallmanix". So I think it's not out
| of ego... but maybe if he had named the OS
| Stallmanix in the first place, we wouldn't be
| having this argument as it (too) is more
| catchy than GNU. :-)
`----

http://maratux.blogspot.com/2010/01/theres-nothing-wrong-with-being.html

Recent:

The Wikipedia "Naming Controversy" by Joshua Gay

,----[ Quote ]
| On the English version of Wikipedia there is an article that discusses the
| naming controversy over whether one should call the operating
| system “GNU/Linux” or “Linux.” In that article, some contend that Linux is
| the more popular and common name for the system. But when writing an
| encyclopedia, neither popularity nor commonality are the paramount concerns.
| Calling the system “GNU/Linux” is more factually accurate, as the GNU project
| largely forms the base of all distributions of the operating system. For
| example, GNU packages accounts for 14.79% of the 16.5GB of source packages
| used to build the Main repository of the gNewSense GNU/Linux distribution
| (deltad). They also constitute 6.69% of the 27GBs of source packages from
| which the Universe repository is built. Linux weighs in at about 253MB and
| accounts for approximately 1.5% of the source code needed to build the Main
| repository. Furthermore, Linux itself is generally built using GNU libraries
| and GNU tools, and on many systems depends on them being there.
`----

http://exploringfreedom.org/2008/07/17/the-wikipedia-naming-controversy-by-joshua-gay/

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"

[News] New GNU/Linux Audiocasts: LinuxCrazy, "Going Linux"

[News] Linux 2.6.32 in Review, "Linux is Not an OS"

[News] How Conferences Substituted GNU with "Linux" and Free Software with "Open Source"

[News] [Linux] Linux Mint 3.0 ("Cassandra") Released
[Site already down (could be due to demand, just like Ubuntu and PCLOS)] Torrent Details For "Linux Mint 3.0 "Cassandra" CD Image" ,----[ Quote ] | Linux Mint 3.0, code name "Cassandra", has been released: This is Linux | Mint 3.0 based on Linux Mint 2.2 'Bianca' and compatible with Ubuntu | 7.04 Feisty and its repositories. `---- http://www.tuxdistro.com/torrents-details.php?id=270 ...

[News] More Linux Myths Busted, Including the "Cheap" Linux User
Top 5 Linux Myths ,----[ Quote ] | The sheer ignorance regarding casual Linux users astounds me to no end. While | I'm not interested in pointing fingers, there is a lot of misinformation | about the Linux community, and we will help to dispel some of these myths, | once and for all. | | 1. Linux Users Are Cheap. Ah, this is one of my favorites. It seems that | Linux users have long since been seen as cheap, despite the fact that so many | of them in the States earn up to six figures. First, define cheap? Are we | cheap because we choose not to buy brand new everything with eve...

Any good books on "Linux Socket prog", also on "Linux Network prog"?
Guys: Any good books on "Linux Socket programming", also on "Linux Network programming"?. Any valuable on-line tutorials. Appreciated. GS wrote: > Guys: > > Any good books on "Linux Socket programming", also on "Linux Network > programming"?. Any valuable on-line tutorials. Appreciated. I have never seen one, but since sockets on Linux are basically standard BSD or Unix sockets, try searching for "Unix socket programming" or "Berkeley socket programming". -- Phil Frisbie, Jr. Hawk Software http://www.hawksoft.com Does "Unix socket programming" by Richard Stevens book can be used for Linux socket programming too?. Thanks. Especially looking for beginner who wants to enter into Linux programming (Network side), looking for some books which tells basics Especially looking for beginner who wants to enter into Linux programming (Network side), looking for some books which tells basics GS wrote: > Especially looking for beginner who wants to enter into Linux > programming (Network side), looking for some books which tells basics > I don't want to put a dampener on your enthusiasm, but if you are wanting to do it properly the POSIX way, I wouldn't even consider it unless you are comfortable programming 'C' at the level of understanding how pointers work. You could always consider Java - piece of cake in Java! Steve Is there any on-line text books availa...

[News] Russia Bets Big on GNU/Linux, Makes "National OS"

[News] Idea of GNU/Linux Promotion With "Quit Microsoft Day" or "Quit Apple Day"

Web resources about - [News] LinuxCon 2010 Targets Linux, But "GNU/Linux" is Important - comp.os.linux.advocacy