[News] Mac OS X Users Leave Apple and Come to Desktop GNU/Linux

- From OS X to Ubuntu: 2 Years Later

,----[ Quote ]
| I have to say that over the last couple of years,
| I’ve really come to love Ubuntu. Until recently,
| I rarely felt the need to go back to Windows or
| OS X (I’ll tell you more about that in another
| blog post). I’ve been generally pleased with each
| new release of Ubuntu and enjoy seeing the
| incremental improvements. Ubuntu has come an
| unbelievable way since I first tried it almost 5
| years ago.
`----

http://www.starryhope.com/linux/ubuntu/2010/os-x-to-ubuntu-2-years-later/

Matt Asay Sees the Light

,----[ Quote ]
| Oh well, better late than never. The year of
| GNU/Linux on the desktop has come and gone, he
| agrees, and we will go forward to much greater
| accomplishments.
`----

http://pogson.6k.ca/2010/02/19/matt-asay-sees-the-light/

Recent:

There and back again. Linux to Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| I now have Ubuntu 9.10 running on my
| MacBook Pro. Gnome-desktop, kubuntu-destop,
| xubuntu-desktop are all installed. I like
| desktop options, but prefer KDE 4. I can
| switch between apps, terminals, connect to
| the network and print. I have not seen one
| spinning beach ball. I am much more
| productive. I am so happy to have Amorok
| back to manage my music, and KDE to manage
| my desktop, and konsole as a terminal
| application, and, and, and… I am just so
| much happier.
|
| [...]
|
| Would I buy another Mac for myself, just
| for the hardware? No. While the trackpad is
| cool, other companies have caught up on the
| piece of hardware. The keyboard may be
| enough to make me come back to the
| hardware, but I doubt it.
`----

http://www.openlogic.com/blogs/2009/11/there-and-back-again-linux-to-mac/

Migration from Mac to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| When in OS X (and in Windows) the default action
| is a very predictable beast. You want to make
| sure this is mimicked in Linux. In GNOME you can
| right click a file, select Open With, and then
| set that as the default application for that
| type of file. As much as this might seem second
| nature, for OS X users this is simply not an
| issue. Having everything so well integrated is
| not a feature on OS X, it’s a requirement. So
| make sure everything works exactly as expected
| BEFORE the OS X user touches their Linux box.
`----

http://blogwire.co.cc/2009/10/migration-from-mac-to-linux/

My development setup

,----[ Quote ]
| Base software
|
|     * Arch Linux – it’s my 6 day with this distro
|     actually, I’m a Gentoo fanatic but from time to
|     time I try to use something different. I usually
|     how I’ll end up now. So far I really like Arch,
|     it’s extremely lightweight, fast and stable.
|     Software availability is as good as in Gentoo.
|     It’s also easy to make your own packages which
|     is crucial for Ruby developers since it happens
|     that we need various non-standard stuff, like
|     let’s say Nginx with Passenger support. I’ve got
|     a feeling that this time I won’t go back to
|     Gentoo
|
|     * KDE – it’s my desktop environment and one
|     of the most important reasons why I’ve
|     switched back from OSX to Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Dev tools:
|
|     * GIT - probably the best SCM in the world
|     * QGit4 – sometimes I use this git gui to
|     view history of a project
|     * ZSH with a pimped prompt for GIT
|     * Nginx with Passanger – better then
|     script/server
|     * VirtualBox – I have 3 Windows virtual
|     machines each with different version of
|     Internet Explorer, only for testing of course
`----

http://blog.solnic.eu/2009/10/18/my-development-setup

Five tips to help ease the migration from Mac to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course you might be thinking “OS X is supposed
| to be the most user-friendly OS available, so
| wouldn’t migrating to Linux be even more
| difficults?” Not exactly. There are certain
| elements of OS X that inherently make the process
| of migrating to Linux easier than when migrating
| from Windows. Take, for instance, the mounting of
| images and drives. This task is completely
| obfuscated from the Windows user, but the OS X user
| actually knows to unmount a drive before removal.
| But what about simple, every day usage? How do you
| make that more understandable for one moving from
| OS X to Linux? Let’s find out.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/14/five-tips-to-help-ease-the-migration-from-mac-to-linux/

Mac computers are restrictive.

,----[ Quote ]
| There are amazing PC laptop computers that you can buy for $600
| comparing to Apple latops that are usually around $1300 and more.
| Apple computers are overpriced, proprietary, restrictive and
| protectionist. This might not be a good direction to be heading
| into. Could Apple prove to be even more restrictive and opressive
| than Microsoft?
`----

http://www.idreamoflinux.com/2009/09/mac-computers-are-restrictive.html

Can Ubuntu 9.10 Outperform Mac OS X 10.6?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of the 26 tests shown in this article, Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" was the
| clear winner in 12 of the 26 tests while Snow Leopard had won a handful and
| the rest of the tests had results that were too close to call or unchanged
| between the Apple and Canonical operating systems. Ubuntu 9.10 can certainly
| compete with Mac OS X 10.6 when it comes to the performance, but of course a
| few of these tests do show performance regressions compared to the earlier
| Ubuntu 9.04 release, an area where Ubuntu developers could improve.
| Additionally, not all areas of the system or hardware combinations were
| tested, such as with the Intel Linux graphics performance struggling compared
| to Mac OS X. On top of that, the Ubuntu Linux installations had NVIDIA's
| proprietary driver manually installed, where as the "out of the box"
| experience on Ubuntu does not provide any 3D acceleration for NVIDIA
| hardware.
|
| Stay tuned for our large Mac OS X, Linux, OpenSolaris, and BSD operating
| system comparison in the next month.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_karmic_leopard&num=1

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] User Has Had Enough of Apple; Migration from Mac OS X to... GNU/Linux
Switching From Mac To Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The straw that broke the camel's back was the release of iTunes 7. I | excitedly downloaded it, reading up on some of the new features. There | wasn't much of interest for me, but who can resist a major update of a | killer application? I turned on L7's "Smell The Magic" and began to | check out the new interface. | | Revolting! The playlist panel was suddenly clunky, chopped into three | chunks of ugliness. The "new" Coverflow interfaces made me think of | Windows Media Player. This wasn't iTunes... it was a tr...

[News] Apple's Mac OS X is Being Dumped for GNU/Linux Desktops

[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Experience Beats Apple's Mac OS X

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

[News] Many Reasons for Linux on the Server; GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X

[News] [Linux] Mark Pigrim Satisfied with GNU/Linux, Having Ditched Mac OS X
One year with Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Any modern Linux distribution presents a good "out of the box" | experience, with friendly defaults and familiar metaphors. But a | year ago, several people recommended that I try alternative window | managers, and at the time, I didn't understand why. Now I do. It's | difficult to explain. People say that Ruby On Rails is | "opinionated software." I suppose all software reflects the opinions | of its authors, but some are certainly more opinionated than others, | and window managers, as a class, are more opinionated than m...

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] User Dumps Mac OS X for GNU/Linux with KDE4

[News] Mac OS X User Changes to GNU/Linux and Likes It

[News] Musician Leaves Mac OS X to Embrace GNU/Linux

[News] Users Bamboozled Into Thinking GNU/Linux is Mac OS X (Leopard)

[News] Moving from Mac OS X to Desktop GNU/Linux Working Out Well

[News] Guide and Tips for Dumping Mac OS X for GNU/Linux Desktop

[News] The GNU/Linux Platform Comes Before Mac OS X at Money Manager Ex

[News] GNU/Linux Claimed Better Than Mac OS X, Vista's Dim View Leads to Linux
Why Mac OS X Sucks and Linux Rocks ,----[ Quote ] | For now, I decided to quit using Leopard (except when I want to take funny | and distorted pictures), and I am more determined than ever in making Linux | (Xubuntu) fully compatible with my Macbook Pro. You may ask why I think Linux | rocks. `---- http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/why-mac-os-x-sucks-and-linux-rocks.html With Vista's View Getting Dimmer, Should You Give Linux A Chance? ,----[ Quote ] | Ease of use. WHAT!?! Ease of use? Yes. I've said it now. It's easy to use. CD | based install (or even one that will go ove...

[News] User Leaves Apple's OS X, Rejects Windows, Chooses Linux
Why I'll Never Switch Back from Linux to Mac... Maybe ,----[ Quote ] | And so a Linux user was born. As I mentioned in my article "Why I Switched | From Mac To Windows To Linux," the switch to Linux, while certainly requiring | a bit of learning, was fairly painless. `---- http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/321868/why_ill_never_switch_back_from_linux.html Related: [Mark Pilgrim and Tim Bray Move from Mac to Linux] ,----[ Quote ] | Early this month, Mark Pilgrim made waves when he went shopping for a | new Mac, but decided not to buy one, and, in When the bough bre...

[News] Desktop Survey (Eclipse): GNU/Linux: 27%, Windows: 64%, Mac OS X: 6.9%

[News] Why GNU/Linux and Not Mac OS X

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] New GNU/Linux Distribution Called Lin-X Looks Just Like Mac OS X

[News] Why GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X

[News] GNU/Linux More Secure Than Mac OS X

Web resources about - [News] Mac OS X Users Leave Apple and Come to Desktop GNU/Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Virtual desktop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... a virtualized environment between the computer platform and its operating system, see Virtual machine . For virtual machines running desktop ...

Popular Airmail desktop email app lands on the iPhone w/ iCloud sync, snooze, more
... works with various email services including Gmail, iCloud, Outlook, and Exchange, and even features iCloud sync to keep the mobile and desktop ...

AMD Launches Excavator on Desktop: The 65W Athlon X4 845 for $70
... save power, more power planes to regulate those chances and everything in-between. We were told we wouldn’t see the Excavator core on the desktop ...

No desktop required: WordPress for iOS now lets you create new sites
... and more. Now, you can add site creation to that list. Indeed, you can now create a new WordPress.com site right within the app no desktop ...

Dealmaster: Get a Dell Inspiron 3000 desktop with Core i7, 16GB RAM for $599
Greetings, Arsians! Courtesy of our partners at TechBargains , we have a number of deals on laptops, desktops, and accessories to share today. ...

VClip is a quick and easy desktop recorder
BahraniApps has released VClip 1.0 , a freeware tool for recording video and audio of your desktop. The program has a strong emphasis on simplicity. ...

Get a full-blown Chrome desktop PC for under $200
... what kind of incredible value Chrome-based laptop computers can offer, but you might not realize that Google's computer OS also powers desktop ...

Google Chrome update will bring Material Design to desktops
Android’s Material Design spec is coming to your desktop. With an upcoming Chrome update, Google will introduce a brand new look that will be ...

Marshmallow Update Available for T-Mobile LG G4 Through LG-Bridge Desktop Software
According to multiple users on reddit , a Marshmallow update for the LG G4 on T-Mobile is available for downloading through LG’s desktop software ...

Ubuntu's first tablet doubles as a desktop, goes on sale in Q2
Remember that time Spanish device maker BQ started promoting a new, Ubuntu-powered tablet before Canonical was ready to start talking about it? ...