[News] Mainstream News Coverage About GNU/Linux at Schools, "Linux Against Poverty" Collects PCs

Cassidy: Linux could ease schools' tech crunch

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe the answer for local schools facing
| daunting technology challenges lies with the
| penguins.
|
| You know, penguins — those who worship free
| and open-source software, including Linux and
| the operating system's mascot, a penguin named
| Tux.
|
| I've been hearing from the penguins since I
| wrote recently that if Silicon Valley CEOs
| want the state to improve K-12 education, then
| they should take a bigger role in helping
| those schools deploy classroom technology from
| this century.
|
| "One viable solution to getting the old
| computers working again is to install Linux on
| them," Peter Perpich, a San Jose Web
| application engineer, wrote in an e-mail.
| "Linux needs significantly less processing
| power than Windows and is free. There is also
| a wealth of free open-source software for the
| platform."
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_15269820?nclick_check=1

Linux Against Poverty Now Accepting Donations

,----[ Quote ]
| To donate a computer, check out the specs here
| and the drop off locations around town where
| you can leave your old machine and pick up a
| tax receipt. If you have five or more
| computers to donate, Linux Against Poverty can
| make arrangements to pick them up.
`----

http://sxsw.com/node/5024

Recent:

How to Sell Linux to Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| In my earlier post ‘How to Sell Linux’ I
| looked at three different ways how to
| popularize Linux and make it more
| mainstream as well as a household name. In
| the post I will look specifically at how I
| would sell Linux to schools, examining all
| the aspects of such a deployment and how I
| would do it and what distro and software I
| would use.
|
| Here is the order I will look at things in
| this post-:
|
|    1. What Distro would be used?
|    2. What Software would be pre-installed?
|    3. What would be the Incentive?
|    4. How Cost Effective would it be?
|    5. How quickly could new users Adapt?
|    6. Poll and Conclusion
`----

http://linuxandall.wordpress.com/2010/05/28/how-to-sell-linux-to-schools/

How to Sell Linux to Schools- Part 2

,----[ Quote ]
| Building on the last post, I welcome the
| opportunity to share some of my experiences
| with deploying Linux in schools. It is a
| very broad topic however I will stay with
| the previous outline. First of all, it is a
| matter of migrating schools to Linux, not
| selling them.  Second, the approach is
| different based on whether the school in
| located in a developing country, the EU or
| North America.
|
| Before I speak to the  suggested list of
| considerations, which I have reordered
| based on feedback from my deployments and
| numerous other sources,I want to say that’
| the single most factor for any migration
| plan to be successful is to is to manage
| the ‘human factor’ of resistance to change.
| Effective training and support are critical
| while technical and functional problems are
| marginal’ This is where FUD (fear,
| uncertainty & doubt) comes into play and is
| heavily leveraged by proponents of
| proprietary software.
|
|    1. What would be the Incentive?
|    2. How Cost Effective would it be?
|    3. How quickly could new users Adapt?
|    4. What Software would be pre-installed?
|    5. What Distro would be used?
`----

http://linuxandall.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/how-to-sell-linux-to-schools-part-2/#more-257

FI: Over a hundred schools using open source

,----[ Quote ]
| More than a hundred schools across Finland
| are using open source for all of their
| desktop PCs, according to Opinsys, an open
| source services provider.
|
| The company assists ninety schools in 28
| municipalities with the maintenance of PCs
| and laptops running Ubuntu Linux. Tens of
| other schools are managing similar PCs
| themselves, according to Mikko Soikkeli, the
| company's sales director.
|
| The costs per Linux PC or laptop, including
| maintenance, is about 282 Euro per year,
| according to a presentation last month by one
| of the schools using Ubuntu. "This
| infrastructure is easy to extend, it is
| secure, reliable and easy to use", according
| to Allen Schneitz, a teacher at the Kasaviori
| School. "The system allows utilisation of
| second hand computers that are four to five
| years old."
|
| A second case study on Linux based PCs in
| schools, by Risto Rönnberg for the city of
| Jyväskylä, puts the cost at 153 Euro per PC
| per year.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/fi-over-a-hundred-schools-using-open-source

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"

[News] LinuxCon 2010 Targets Linux, But "GNU/Linux" is Important

[News] Linux 2.6.32 in Review, "Linux is Not an OS"

[News] The "Linux Agenda" and Linux Flipping Over the 2% Rule
The Secret Linux Agenda ,----[ Quote ] | For all its problems: many self inflicted, I still think Open is better. I'm | a glass-half-full type. I also remind myself all the time that despite | appearances, Open Source is not a computer religion. It is just a good idea. | | And it is... The Secret Linux Agenda `---- http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-carl/steve-carl/The-Secret-Linux-Agenda Needed - The Two Percent Solution ,----[ Quote ] | With the exception of an ant colony and a kibbutz, two percent of the | population will fuel and affect the progress of that society. The rest of ...

[News] Linux Supported by a Big Red
Don't let the trolls spew out just the negative spins to this story. Big Blue and Big Red now jointly work to address the demand for Linux (yesterday's news). Announcing Oracle Unbreakable Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle Unbreakable Linux is a support program that | provides enterprises with industry-leading global | support for Linux. Recognizing the demand for true | enterprise-quality Linux support and seeing an | opportunity to significantly reduce IT infrastructure | costs, Oracle is now offering Linux operating | system support. `---- http://www.oracle.com/technologies/linux/in...

[News] GNU/Linux in "Software and Desktops in 2009", "Operating Systems of 2009"

[News] More Linux Myths Busted, Including the "Cheap" Linux User
Top 5 Linux Myths ,----[ Quote ] | The sheer ignorance regarding casual Linux users astounds me to no end. While | I'm not interested in pointing fingers, there is a lot of misinformation | about the Linux community, and we will help to dispel some of these myths, | once and for all. | | 1. Linux Users Are Cheap. Ah, this is one of my favorites. It seems that | Linux users have long since been seen as cheap, despite the fact that so many | of them in the States earn up to six figures. First, define cheap? Are we | cheap because we choose not to buy brand new everything with eve...

[News] [Linux] Linux Mint 3.0 ("Cassandra") Released
[Site already down (could be due to demand, just like Ubuntu and PCLOS)] Torrent Details For "Linux Mint 3.0 "Cassandra" CD Image" ,----[ Quote ] | Linux Mint 3.0, code name "Cassandra", has been released: This is Linux | Mint 3.0 based on Linux Mint 2.2 'Bianca' and compatible with Ubuntu | 7.04 Feisty and its repositories. `---- http://www.tuxdistro.com/torrents-details.php?id=270 ...

[News] Russia Bets Big on GNU/Linux, Makes "National OS"

[News] Idea of GNU/Linux Promotion With "Quit Microsoft Day" or "Quit Apple Day"

[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux is an "OS that Just Works", But Nothing is 100% Perfect

[News] Chrome on GNU/Linux "Ridiculously Faster" Than on Mac OS X and Windows

[News] Coverage of Linux Against Poverty 2010 (Desktop GNU/Linux) for the Needy

[News] Head of Linux Foundation Calls Linux on Laptop "Essential to Compete"
Another low cost Linux PC. I think we can officially call it a trend ,----[ Quote ] | I believe the computing industry is waking up to the fact that lower costs to | the consumer and higher margins to be had with a Linux OS in the razor thin | margin PC manufacturing business is irresistible. My prediction is that using | Linux isn’t going to be an experiment - it is going to be essential in order | to compete. `---- http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/jzemlin/2008/03/04/another-low-cost-linux-pc-i-think-we-can-officially-call-it-a-trend/ My New Asus Eee PC ,----[ Quote ] | I ...

Web resources about - [News] Mainstream News Coverage About GNU/Linux at Schools, "Linux Against Poverty" Collects PCs - comp.os.linux.advocacy