Mac OS X - Highly Customized Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Few players in the Linux arena creates their Linux distro to look like Mac OS
| X or Windows....
|
| Here I'm going to list some distro which looks like Mac OS.
`----

http://linuxtreat.blogspot.com/2008/07/mac-os-x-highly-customized-linux.html

A Linux User's Guide to Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| Take a deep breath and repeat after me: A computer is just a tool. It is only
| so good as it serves to make life better for users. A "better" life is
| obviously not the same thing for everyone. For me, it means making my Mac
| more like Linux, as I began to discuss in my last article.
`----

http://www.ofb.biz/safari/article/474.html

Yesterday:

Ubuntu: Challenge the Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| Normally I would just provide a Diigo link to this if it weren’t something
| I’ve been saying a lot in talks. Over at InformationWeek, Serdar Yegulaip was
| a piece called “Shuttleworth’s Ubuntu Ambitions: Challenge the Mac”. He
| quotes Mark Shuttleworth saying in a Datamation article:
|
|     … our goal, very simply, is to make sure the Free software ecosystem can
|     deliver a Mac OS-like experience, or an experience that will compete with
|     the Mac OS.
|
| I think this is exactly right. It’s time to look past Windows, even with its
| huge installed base, as any sort of “gold standard” (as Mark calls it),
| especially for user interface.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=2402

Recent:

Tim Bray provides a bridge between Sun and developers

,----[ Quote ]
| For all the difficulties, Bray suggests that he often sees at least
| incremental improvements in Sun. For instance, after he observed "ferment in
| the Python world," he says that his advocacy "helped commit Sun to really
| open up their hardware to the [Python] project. And then we just a couple of
| weeks ago hired two Python people. We're starting to get our feet wet there."
|
| [...]
|
| Looking further ahead, Bray predicts a move away from Microsoft operating
| systems. "The fact is that the vast majority of office desktops are using
| Windows, the third-best platform," he says. "You can argue about the relative
| merits of modern Linuxes like Ubuntu and the Mac, but they are clearly better
| than Windows in terms of robustness, cost, performance, and a whole bunch of
| other things. For the long term, can the mainstream of business continue to
| ignore the fact that there's a better alternative than what they're running?
| If that logjam breaks, that's going to be a real change."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/133149
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] [Linux] Mac OS X Becomes More Like Linux, Exposes Big List of Bugs
More Unix in Apple's Leopard ,----[ Quote ] | Among the new features comprising the Leopard's innards Apple points to | the automounter autofs, with the aid of which the Finder will in future | be able to mount remote file systems asynchronously. A new feature of | interest to both professional developers and interested laymen is | DTrace, borrowed from Sun's Solaris, which permits detailed monitoring | of the performance of programs during run-time. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/91448/from/rss09 Like all O/Ses, Apple has many problems in Tiger as well. W...

[News] Making Linux Look Like OS X Couldn't be Easier
[New article, for those who are hooked on the Mac looks] Make Your Linux Desktop Look Like A Mac - Mac4Lin Project Documentation ,----[ Quote ] | Do you want to give your desktop a dash of Mac OS X? Do you want to change | your GNOME desktop from the default look to something like this? `---- http://www.howtoforge.com/mac4lin_make_linux_look_like_a_mac For KDE: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=8692 Related: [Opinion] Switch to Linux? No. Get a Mac Clone. ,----[ Quote ] | I'm a marketing guy, and I look at everything in my world from a marketing | perspective. Fro...

[News] Making Ubuntu Linux Look Like Mac OS X and Windows XP
Changing the Ubuntu look This article will detail how to mold the Ubuntu Gnome desktop into anything you want it to be (including Windows and OS X) http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/change_ubuntu_look Some interesting screenshots here: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/change_ubuntu_look?page=0%2C5 ...

[News] New GNU/Linux Distribution Called Lin-X Looks Just Like Mac OS X

Make OS X terminal work like linux
I've been looking for a list of aliases that would allow a mac-using friend to follow my bash instructions (no idea at all about mac, never even touched one) to accomplish various tasks. Haven't found anything at all. Am I the only person on earth who wants to do this? What I want is as long a list as I can find of the form alias linuxcommand="OSX Command" Any ideas? -- Cheers, Bev ============================================================== "I am working for the time when unqualified blacks, browns and women join the unqualified men in runn...

[News] Mac OS X-like Desktop Enovironment for Linux
GNUstep: A Free Software alternative to OpenStep ,----[ Quote ] | GNUstep is one of my favorite Free Software projects. The | development environment is one of the best I?ve ever used, | and the team continues to do sterling work. | | The popularity of OS X among geeks in recent years has led to | a lot more people discovering OpenStep through Cocoa. GNUstep | provides a much-needed Free Software alternative. `---- http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=665129&rl=1 Here's Steve Jobs with NeXTStEP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j02b8Fuz73A (NeXTSTEP Rel...

[News] Yet Another Mac OS X-Like Dock for Linux
avant-window-navigator ,----[ Quote ] | Fully customisable dock-like window navigator for GNOME. `---- http://code.google.com/p/avant-window-navigator/ Some other docks/OS X lookalikes for Linux... macmenubar: http://static.flickr.com/112/284328104_6995c6f4b7_o.jpg Gnome Dock - An evolution of cairo dock: http://www.gnome-dock.org/trac/attachment/wiki/WikiStart/cairo-dock-ss.png KSmoothDock: http://ksmoothdock.sourceforge.net/ Engage: http://edevelop.org/node/1764 http://www.tuxmachines.org/gallery/albums/fluxbox/engage.jpg kxdocker: http://www.xiaprojects.com/www/prodotti/kxdock...

[News] Mac OS X User Changes to GNU/Linux and Likes It

[News] GNU/Linux Looks Like OS X, But Better Under the Hood

[News] GNU/Linux Distribution That Looks Like Mac OS X

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] Former Microsoft Intern Likes GNU/Linux More than Mac OS X

[News] Sister OS to Linux, OS-X Has Better TCO than Microsoft Windows
Following illustrates why Microsoft Vista Windows is losing to a more superior OS: http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/660E746C-F388-4AC7-98F5-6CB951501472.html or http://tinyurl.com/fwnxt Windows 5x More Expensive than Mac OS X [quote] A Mac user since 2000, upgrading to each new version of Mac OS X: 1. �$300 in operating system updates, or nearly $400 if purchased at full retail. 2. �Three major new releases that significantly improved performance of the same hardware and introduced new apps. 3. �Thirty one regular minor updates with bug fixes and new features, in addi...

[News] Ubuntu Linux Can Be Customised to Look Like Mac OS X (HOWTO)
I can't recall posting this before. If I did, I think it is worth re-iterating. http://users.utu.fi/ljtaim/ubuntuosx.php ,----[ Quote ] | I have noticed that many people try to imitate Mac OSX Tiger's look | with their current operating system. `---- Here are some screenshots: http://users.utu.fi/ljtaim/images/after_big_2.jpg http://users.utu.fi/ljtaim/images/after_big_3.jpg __/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Monday 19 June 2006 09:57 \__ > I can't recall posting this before. If I did, I think it is worth > re-iterating. > > http://users.utu.fi/ljtaim/ubuntuosx.php > ...

[News] [Linux] Linux Gets Prettier, Mac OS X Plays Catch-up
H-K Suite [EN] ,----[ Quote ] | Suite H-K is an union of skins, themes, icons, scripts and | configuration files which got the purpose to create an elegant, | linear Desktop. Differently from meny other dark themes, I tried | to avoid reading problems in most commons programs. Here are some | screenshot from version 0.1. `---- http://embracesblog.mine.nu/?page_id=5 Apple's latest catchup: [Apple's 'Beryl/XGL'] ,----[ Quote ] | With Mac OS X, you can multitask like never before. You can run | several applications at once and have multiple windows open at the | same ti...

[News] OS X 10.5 / Vista / Linux Comparison Reveals Linux Strength
Engadget Comparison (Mended) ,----[ Quote ] | After reading an article on Engadget comparing OS X 10.5 and Windows Vista, I | decided it would be interesting to compare GNU/Linux with them both. `---- http://fophillips.org/?p=24 Related: The Right Operating System for You ,----[ Quote ] | With its minimal hardware requirements and solid security, Linux can | serve as a bulletproof primary OS. And with painless dual-booting | and virtualization options, including several free and open-source | apps and the kernel-based Xen software, you can easily try out the | latest in Linux without ...

[News] Many Reasons for Linux on the Server; GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X

[News] [Linux] Mark Pigrim Satisfied with GNU/Linux, Having Ditched Mac OS X
One year with Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Any modern Linux distribution presents a good "out of the box" | experience, with friendly defaults and familiar metaphors. But a | year ago, several people recommended that I try alternative window | managers, and at the time, I didn't understand why. Now I do. It's | difficult to explain. People say that Ruby On Rails is | "opinionated software." I suppose all software reflects the opinions | of its authors, but some are certainly more opinionated than others, | and window managers, as a class, are more opinionated than m...

[News] New Compiler Treats Linux Like First-class Citizen, Neglects Windows and OS X (for Now)
Absoft Announces New Fortran Compiler Technology for AMD Multi-Core Processors ,----[ Quote ] | The first platform supported by Absoft's new suite will be Linux, with | versions for Windows and MacOS to follow later this fall. `---- http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/primenewswire/127859.htm How things have changed. The proprietary OSes are secondary. ...

[News] GNU/Linux Claimed Better Than Mac OS X, Vista's Dim View Leads to Linux
Why Mac OS X Sucks and Linux Rocks ,----[ Quote ] | For now, I decided to quit using Leopard (except when I want to take funny | and distorted pictures), and I am more determined than ever in making Linux | (Xubuntu) fully compatible with my Macbook Pro. You may ask why I think Linux | rocks. `---- http://www.junauza.com/2008/04/why-mac-os-x-sucks-and-linux-rocks.html With Vista's View Getting Dimmer, Should You Give Linux A Chance? ,----[ Quote ] | Ease of use. WHAT!?! Ease of use? Yes. I've said it now. It's easy to use. CD | based install (or even one that will go ove...

ROX Linux and ROX on OS X and arm linux
Hi I've just just done some searches on Google for ROX linux, and ROX on other platforms. I've not managed to find anything. Is ROX available for OS X? Is ROX available for Acorn\Iyonix Arm linux? Did ROX Linux ever come to anything? I was a member of the mailing list a while ago, it started off interesting and then seemed to go off on a tangent then it all went quiet. It seemed like an excellent idea, a linux distro structured like RISC OS. It would have been an ideal compliment to a RISC OS system, same UI but different set of applications (probably not quite so consiste...

"Linux is not homogeneous like Windows or OS X."

Web resources about - [News] Making Linux More Like OS X and OS X More Like Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Clinton and Sanders Want to Restrict Fracking. Will That Make Global Warming Worse?
Could promises by Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders to dramatically restrict fracking actually make climate change worse? In Sunday night's ...

Steve Jobs and Bill Gates holograms are out of a job
The musical ‘dot comedy’ about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs’ often fractious relationship has had its Broadway debut postponed indefinitely after ...

Samsung launches a phone upgrade program of its own
With global smartphone sales decidedly flat, how can companies push new device sales? As expected, Samsung is following in Apple's footsteps ...

Kremlin says Sharapova doping case doesn't reflect Russia
MOSCOW (AP) — The Kremlin says Maria Sharapova's doping case and others like it should not be considered a reflection of Russian sport as a whole. ...

Chinese men wear dresses and heels to climb a mountain on International Women's Day
A group of Chinese men drew large crowds of curious onlookers and hikers when they wore red frocks and high heels to climb a mountain in Guangzhou, ...

Kanye West was 'super inspired' by a recent trip to IKEA
Kanye West understands the allure of a MALM dresser. The rapper and designer, who remains in the midst of a personal Twitter renaissance, sang ...

Two Nightmare on Elm Street Stars Will Reunite for a New Indie Horror Movie
Two horror icons are set to star in Midnight Man , the latest from Travis Zariwny, who helmed the recent Cabin Fever remake: Robert Englund, ...

Iran fires 2 missiles marked with 'Israel must be wiped out'
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran reportedly test-fired two ballistic missiles Wednesday with the phrase "Israel must be wiped out" written in Hebrew ...

The ‘Fifth Beatle’ Dies: Did John Lennon Really Slam George Martin For Taking Too Much Credit For The ...
As the music world mourns the ‘Fifth Beatle’ George Martin, who passed away yesterday at the age of 90, one somewhat unpleasant little story ...

“Destinations on Google” let’s your phone help with the planning
Almost everyone uses their smartphones to search for things these days, from the title of the song that keeps playing in your head to whether ...