[News] Mandriva Linux Derivative Pardus Linux 2009 Gets Wonderful Reviews

First look at Pardus Linux 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| While I had heard and read good things about Pardus for a few years now, I
| had never tried the distro until the 2009 release. I haven't been this
| enthusiastic about a new distro I've tried in quite some time. I didn't find
| any serious bugs which prevented me from working or which really got in my
| way at all. The implementation of KDE 4 is probably the best I've seen and
| represents the first time I've truly been comfortable working with the latest
| incarnation of KDE as my desktop environment. The implementation of Xfce is
| also first rate. Pardus also offers an excellent variety of unique graphical
| system administration tools that are intuitive and work as expected. Anything
| available in the GUI also has a command-line equivalent. In the case of PiSi,
| the Pardus package manager, the CLI edition also offers additional
| functionality.
|
| Pardus is generally very user-friendly. There are a few convenience features
| found in the major distributions, such as automated upgrade notification and
| automatic network interface switching, that are still lacking in Pardus.
| These aren't bugs but rather are missing niceties that I've gotten used to in
| other distros. The Pardus developers do encourage filing wish list items in
| their bug-tracking system and I may just have to add a few.
| Internationalization and localization is well done and is nearly, but not
| quite, complete for "unsupported" languages. It is very complete and
| functions flawlessly for officially supported languages. I found the forum,
| Wiki, and in general the English-language documentation for Pardus to be
| excellent. When I did post in the forum, I received a quick, friendly, and
| helpful response. That's all anyone can ask of the community behind any
| distribution.
|
| Pardus has a lot to recommend it and definitely rates a try for anyone who
| wants an excellent KDE 4 implementation. Pardus isn't perfect, but its flaws
| and shortcomings are relatively minor compared to many if not most other
| distributions I've tried, including recent releases of some of the big names
| in Linux. It's easy enough to install and use that I would certainly consider
| it a good candidate distribution for a new Linux user, yet it doesn't lack
| the features and, apart from the YALI installer, the flexibility an
| experienced user will desire. I am definitely impressed with Pardus 2009.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090810#feature

Review: Pardus 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall though, I'm highly impressed with the new Pardus.  It's fast, sleek,
| stable, and just a good all around new user distro.  It's also a nice
| improvement on its predecessor.  But even with all this greatness, there's
| still a few flies in the ointment.  Interestingly enough, none are the fault
| of Pardus, as the issues lie elsewhere in other applications.
|
| Do I recommend Pardus 2009 for new users?  Yes, and completely yes.  For
| power users?  Not really.  There are few distros that properly balance the
| needs of the new user with that of the power user, and Pardus chose not to
| try to be one of those, instead siding with new users.  But that's fine,
| because this is a good distribution for friends, family, and the occasional
| co-worker who wants to try out Linux, but needs something newbie friendly to
| cut their teeth on.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/review_pardus_2009/

Recent:

Progress with Pardusman on Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Web-Pardusman has a schedulder queue where each distro build request will be
| queued according to the server build capacity and at a time specific number
| of builds will be processed. After the build, next request will be accpeted
| from the queue.
`----

http://www.sarathlakshman.info/2009/08/06/progress-with-pardusman-on-web/

Pardus Linux 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Pardus is surprisingly good and is certainly well worth a download for
| anybody in the market for an off-the-beaten path desktop distribution.
| Beginners can certainly give Pardus a whirl and intermediate and advanced
| Linux users might also enjoy it.
|
| If you aren’t sure about trying Pardus 2009 then hold off until the Live CD
| version is ready so you don’t have to install it to check it out.
`----

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/07/23/pardus-linux-2009/

Pardus Linux 2009 International on my Thinkpad T60

,----[ Quote ]
| This distro has some great potential.  Ubuntu and it’s derivatives may be
| influential in the English and French speaking world, I can see Pardus being
| influential in the Turkish and Asian speaking world.
`----

http://www.saigonnezumi.com/2009/07/23/pardus-l2009-international-on-my-thinkpad-t60/

Interesting things I saw at GCDS: Pardus Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This year at GCDS I had the pleasure of meeting Gökmen and Gökçen
| (pronounced “Gerkman” and “Gerkchan” with hard Gees not Jays). They are part
| of a relatively small team of around 15 developers who are sponsored by the
| Turkish government work on a Turkish Linux distribution called Pardus. It is
| a KDE focused distribution which has been around since the end of 2005. What
| makes this distribution so interesting is the system tools and configuration
| tools which they've developed based heavily on Python, PyQt and PyKDE.
|
| Here is a run down on the custom tools that I'm aware of and my impression
| thereof. I'm getting most of this information from the document “Python in
| Pardus” [1], my discussions with G & G, and what I've seen from playing a bit
| with the current RC2 inside Virtual Box.
`----

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4022

Distro Hoppin`: Pardus Linux 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that Pardus made me actually enjoy using KDE 4 is by itself an
| indication of the overall quality of this operating system. It's easy to
| install, easy to configure, 100% up-to-date and more importantly, very
| stable. I've used many distributions that shipped with ages-old software "for
| improved stability" that performed much worse than Pardus. Hopefully, the
| future will bring a bigger software repository and maybe support for other
| desktop environments.
|
| Turkey, you've got yourself one of the finest OSes out there!
`----

http://www.itlure.com/2009/07/distro-hoppin-pardus-linux-2009.html

Pardus 2009 review

http://linuxbsdos.com/2009/08/03/pardus-2009-review/
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
:Subject line: Mandriva Linux Derivative Pardus Linux...
>[...]
> ,----[ Quote ]
>[...]In the case of PiSi, the Pardus package manager
>[...]and, apart from the YALI installer, the flexibility an

I haven't seen anything (except Roy's assertion)
which indicates this was derived from Mandriva.
It doesn't use its package manager nor installer.

My understanding is that the Pardus team
looked at what existed, rejected that, and started fresh.
What is included that looks like Mandriva?
0
jeffm_ (1319)
8/10/2009 10:39:15 PM
0
newsgroups3 (79677)
8/11/2009 12:35:30 AM
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 00:35:30 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ JeffM on Monday 10 August 2009 22:39 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>:Subject line: Mandriva Linux Derivative Pardus Linux...
>>>[...]
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>>[...]In the case of PiSi, the Pardus package manager
>>>[...]and, apart from the YALI installer, the flexibility an
>>
>> I haven't seen anything (except Roy's assertion)
>> which indicates this was derived from Mandriva.
>> It doesn't use its package manager nor installer.
>>
>> My understanding is that the Pardus team
>> looked at what existed, rejected that, and started fresh.
>> What is included that looks like Mandriva?
>
> I thought I had read somewhere that it was built on a Mandriva base, but after
> some reading < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardus_%28operating_system%29 > it
> was probably more complicated and maybe not true at all.
>
> Thanks for the correction.

You didn't think anything you fskcing idiot, Roy Schestowitz.

Your sifting script just spammed it all out and as usual you
didn't bother to actually read the crap you post.

That's what makes you a SPAMMER.

Still using the college's network as your own personal ISP?
Not a good idea Roy.
Remember what happened the last time.
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)
8/11/2009 2:09:38 AM
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> :Subject line: Mandriva Linux Derivative Pardus Linux...
>>>[...]
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>>[...]In the case of PiSi, the Pardus package manager
>>>[...]and, apart from the YALI installer, the flexibility an
>>
>> I haven't seen anything (except Roy's assertion)
>> which indicates this was derived from Mandriva.
>> It doesn't use its package manager nor installer.
>>
>> My understanding is that the Pardus team
>> looked at what existed, rejected that, and started fresh.
>> What is included that looks like Mandriva?
>
> I thought I had read somewhere that it was built on a Mandriva base,
but
> after some reading <
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pardus_%28operating_system%29 > it was
> probably more complicated and maybe not true at all.
>
> Thanks for the correction.

According to what I understand, Pardus was based loosely on Gentoo in
the early days, but is developed completely independently of any
distribution now, funded by the Turkish government.

And I'll be perfectly honest I am very glad, as it does not inherit
the traits of others, and it shows.
It is the best implementation of KDE 4 I have used, and that's coming
from one who didn't get along with KDE 4 at all!

All the best,

Tony(UK)

[News] Review of Linux Mint; Pardus Linux
Linux Mint: Taking Ubuntu to the Next Level ,----[ Quote ] | Overall Linux Mint is a fine distribution and I can proudly say | I will be using it as my desktop OS. It is good to see that the | team has different goals than Ubuntu and I forsee a greater amount | of unique additions to Linux Mint in the future. `---- http://techbycolin.com/?p=139 A Second Look At Pardus 2007.1 RC: Surprises, Surprises ,----[ Quote ] | My first look at Pardus 2007.1 Release Candidate was somehow | pessimistic, however I was confident in the future. `---- http://beranger.org/index.php?article=2575 ...

[News] Reviews of SAM Linux 2009 and Arch Linux

[News] Linux 2.6.32 in Review, "Linux is Not an OS"

[News] [Linux] QLogic Gets Cozy with Oracle Linux; CentOS 5 Reviewed
QLogic offers FC HBAs for Oracle Linux Program ,----[ Quote ] | QLogic is a supplier of high-performance storage networking | solutions, producing the controller chips, HBAs and fabric | switches that are the backbone of storage networks for | most Global 2000 corporations. `---- http://www.wwpi.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2095 A First Look At CentOS 5 ,----[ Quote ] | After what has become a few weeks with it, I believe CentOS 5 is a | worthy successor to previous versions. If you're in the market for | an easy to use Linux operating system, you will find me...

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] [Linux] Improved Linux SDIO stack; Linux-based Set-top Box Gets Opera
Linux SDIO stack targets high-throughput apps ,----[ Quote ] | SDIO Nex uses an "entirely new" architecture designed for low | processor utilization and maximum throughput, Arasan said. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3979314345.html Linux-based "triple play" gateways gain web browser ,----[ Quote ] | Tilgin (formerly i3 Micro) has added the Opera web browser to two | of its Linux-based set-top boxes, Opera reports. Opera 9 for | Devices will allow Tilgin customers to create user interfaces | based on Web standards, in addition to letting end-users browse | the Web on their TVs. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2814745574.html ...

[News] Arch GNU/Linux Gets Excellent Review, Igelle Tested by Linux Planet

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] [Linux] Ubuntu Linux Gets Approval of Technical Reviewer, Shuttleworth on BBC (Video)
Migrating to Ubuntu Linux from Microsoft Windows ,----[ Quote ] | I think Ubuntu Linux is definitely ready for almost anyone with a | Windows system who is tired of having their computer infested with | spyware and viruses. It is also a way to avoid Microsoft's | "activation" demands. It's free! It's good! It works! `---- http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/233123/migrating_to_ubuntu_linux_from_microsoft.html Markshuttleworth , Ubuntu in BBC Click tech program ....Linux in the mainstream... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk92zMa84aU Repeats: http://www.bbcwo...

[News] Mandriva Linux 2009 Impresses; Opera 9.6 for GNU/Linux Released

[News] Vector Linux Gets Great Review, New Romanian Linux Distribution Released
Vector Linux 5.9 Standard ,----[ Quote ] | I was quite impressed with Vector 5.9. So impressed, in fact, that I'd | seriously consider throwing it on my main machine the next time I get the | itch for something new. The relatively low memory footprint makes this a | possibility for older machines as well, and you won't be missing out much | from larger distros. | | Vector is an excellent distribution for my needs, and easily one of my new | favorites for the middle-to-low power machine category. It offers a lot and | doesn't suck your resources dry. Good job, Vector tea...

[News] Conferences/Expos About Linux Summarised, Arrive: RT Linux Workshop, 2009 Linux Day, SCALE 8x

Web resources about - [News] Mandriva Linux Derivative Pardus Linux 2009 Gets Wonderful Reviews - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Derivative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... is about the term as used in calculus . For a less technical overview of the subject, see differential calculus . For other uses, see Derivative ...

Derivative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... is about the term as used in calculus . For a less technical overview of the subject, see differential calculus . For other uses, see Derivative ...

Derivative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... is about the term as used in calculus . For a less technical overview of the subject, see differential calculus . For other uses, see Derivative ...

Facebook Claims Conflict Of Interest, Seeks Dismissal Of Derivative Lawsuit
Can the same law firm unsuccessfully bid to lead a class-action suit against a company, and then file a related derivative lawsuit against the ...

Financial Oligarchy and the New Robber Barons w/Derivatives Guru Janet Tavakoli - YouTube
Follow us @ http://twitter.com/laurenlyster http://twitter.com/coveringdelta Welcome to Capital Account. Bernanke speaks and everyone seems to ...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens review: Big, loud, huge fun and hugely derivative
JJ Abrams takes George Lucas' original and pumps it full steroids - it ticks every box, rifles every memory and renovates much-loved characters ...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens review: Big, loud, huge fun and hugely derivative
JJ Abrams takes George Lucas' original and pumps it full steroids - it ticks every box, rifles every memory and renovates much-loved characters ...

Shatter marijuana derivative increasingly worries Calgary police
Police are concerned about shatter, a marijuana-derivative drug that is so potent it can cause bouts of psychosis in people who inhale it. It ...

HONG KONG – DERIVATIVES / STRUCTURED FINANCE – JUNIOR TO SENIOR LEVEL ASSOICATE NEED AT TOP TIER FIRM ...
... firm clients in Hong Kong, where we have made 10 US associate and counsel placements in recent years, has an urgent need to hire a few derivatives ...

ASX profit up 7.3pc, but derivatives income flat
The ASX has reported a 7.3 per cent lift in after-tax profit to $213.1 million, just ahead of market forecasts, driven by new listings and big ...