[News] Many More Devices Run Linux or Support Linux

Networking appliance taps Freescale's QorIQ processor

,----[ Quote ]
| The CAK-2000 supports Linux, and is
| available with an optional copy of
| Freescale's Vortiqa, a Linux-based software
| development platform for optimizing
| firewall, IPSec-VPN, IPS, anti-virus, and
| anti-spam software for multi-core QorIQ and
| PowerQUICC SoCs. The network appliance is
| said to comply with FCC/CE, UL, and
| RoHS/WEEE.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Portwell-CAK2000/?kc=rss

Conceptronic Grab'n'go CH3MNAS early review: Compact home for your data

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're a really hardcore techie, you'll
| be able to use the 'Fun Plug' system to
| install apps on your NAS to add
| functionality. Be warned though, this isn't
| a beginner feature and requires at least
| some technical understanding of Linux.
`----

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/accessories/0,39101000,49305290,00.htm

Configurable RISC controller offers Linux-ready MMU

,----[ Quote ]
| Standard controllers for dataplane
| applications, including one Linux-optimized
| model. Based on Tensilica's configurable,
| 32-bit RISC "Xtensa" architecture, the five
| upward-compatible processor cores include a
| Diamond Standard 233L processor with a
| Linux-optimized MMU, and are claimed to be
| 15 percent faster and more power efficient
| than earlier models.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Tensilica-Diamond-Standard-233L-/?kc=rss

ATCA blade cranks it up with six-core Xeon

,----[ Quote ]
| GE Intelligent Platforms announced a Linux-
| ready AdvancedTCA single board computer
| with an option for Intel's new Xeon 5600
| processors. The dual-Xeon A10200 offers up
| to six cores clocked to 2GHz, plus 12MB of
| L3 cache per CPU, and offers dual 10
| gigabit Ethernet interfaces and four
| gigabit Ethernet interfaces, says the
| company.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/GE-Intelligent-Platforms-A10200/?kc=rss

Recent:

Exploring Embedded Linux with Xport Pro

,----[ Quote ]
| This past year I've had the good fortune to
| review an eeePC powered Netbook, the Fit-PC,
| and the Plug Computer. All were new, capable,
| and progressively smaller Linux machines.
| Readers may also recall my increasing interest
| in the Arduino micro-controllers. Although the
| Arduino doesn't run Linux, its development
| environment is easy to use and particularly
| well suited for Linux notebooks.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/embedded-mobile/mobile-linux/277540:xport-pro-adventures-linux-version

Atom-based energy monitoring device taps Moblin

,----[ Quote ]
| At CES, OpenPeak unveiled a prototype of its
| Intel Atom- and Moblin Linux-based Home Energy
| Manager (HEM) energy monitoring device, and
| announced partnerships with Direct Energy and
| GE. OpenPeak also announced that the OpenFrame
| IP phone upon which the HEM is based was
| certified with the ZigBee Alliance's Smart
| Energy Certification.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/OpenPeak-Home-Energy-Manager-OpenFrame-7/?kc=rss

The Embedded Market Beds Down with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that this very positive assessement
| comes not from some open source fanboy (like
| me), but from a semiconductor company that
| has just plunked down $50 million on its
| bet. Against that background, there seems
| little doubt that Linux will soon become the
| de facto standard in the world of embedded
| systems.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/11/embedded-market-beds-down-with-linux.html

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] On Better Device Support and Performance in Linux (Samsung Supports Linux)
Samsung Supports Linux with New Flash Software for Mobile Applications ,----[ Quote ] | “The new 16Gb flash software supports increasingly popular Linux systems and | enables chipset designers to reap the full storage and performance advantages | of Samsung’s 16Gb NAND...” `---- http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/11468/samsung-supports-linux-new-flash-software-mobile-applications Linux: Volatile Performance http://kerneltrap.org/node/14225 Related: Samsung spins Linux/Qtopia phone? ,----[ Quote ] | Samsung and Eidicom have created what appears to | be a Linux-based dual-mode...

[News] Iomega Device Runs Linux and Nintendo Adapted to Run GNU/Linux

[News] Skiff Runs Linux, Many Other E-readers Also Run Linux

[News] Heaps of New Devices with Linux or Linux Support

I have Linux! I have Linux!

My Linux is not your Linux

Why linux is linux

[News] Another E-Reader Runs Linux, Other Wins for Linux in Devices

[News] NAS Device Runs Linux, Many Other Devices Do Too

[News] Cavium Networks Firewall Comes with Linux, Several Other Devices Run Linux
Multi-core firewall boasts multi-gigabit throughput ,----[ Quote ] | Cavium Networks provides a software development kit (SDK) along with the | CN3120 that includes a MontaVista Linux kernel, GNU tool-chain, GDB debugger, | and third-party products aimed at streamlining ports of MIPS32, MIPS64, and | other C/C++ applications to the Octeon architecture. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3495431878.html More of Linux here (it's everywhere): Linux-compatible PDA shrugs off six-foot drops ,----[ Quote ] | iWave Systems of Bangalore has announced a Linux- and Windows CE | 6.0...

[News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

[News] [Linux] Palm's Linux Device (Foleo) Already Earns Industry Support
Pair of Palm ISVs promise Foleo ports ,----[ Quote ] | Two ISVs (independent software vendors) have announced plans to port | their commercial applications to Palm's forthcoming Linux- and | ARM-based miniature laptop. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS3040432303.html Related: Q&A: Palm's founder answers the Foleo's critics ,----[ Quote ] | It [Linux] allowed us to do everything we wanted to do. I wouldn't have put | Windows Mobile or something on this. Because I wouldn't have been able | to build the product I wanted. I couldn't have made the inst...

[News] Review of a Unique Linux Device, Linux Grows in Embedded Devices
Meet the chumby ,----[ Quote ] | I've been pacing the chumby maternity ward for nearly a year, waiting for | this unique wireless device to see the light of day. I recently took delivery | of my own little bundle of chumby joy and, at first look, I think it will | make a great addition to my growing gadget family. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/119766 LinuxCertified Announces Embedded and Real-Time Linux Development Training ,----[ Quote ] | Over the past few years, more and more organizations have been opting for | Linux as their embedded platform. `---- http://www.linux...

[News] New Set-top Box Runs Linux, "Linux will Be the Major OS [in This Area]"
Device Profile: SysMaster M10 set-top box ,----[ Quote ] | SysMaster used embedded Linux to build a set-top box with a dizzying array | of audio, video, networking, communications, and data capabilities. The | Tornado M10 Digital Media Center runs Linux 2.6.19, and targets phone and | IP network operators wishing to offer a wide range of services. | | [....] | | Yosifov predicts a bright future for Linux in the embedded device market. | "We believe Linux will be the major OS used in embedded system development | because of its small footprint, reliability, power, and available sof...

[News] [Linux] Linux Foundation and MontaVista Organise Linux Conferences
Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit ,----[ Quote ] | The first Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit takes place mid | June, featuring the fourth Desktop Architects Meeting, an LSB | face to face meeting and various council meetings. `---- http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/02/linux-foundation-collaboration-summit/ MontaVista Vision 2007 Embedded Linux Developers Conference... ,----[ Quote ] | Hosted by MontaVista, and including platinum sponsors | Freescale Semiconductor, IBM, Intel, and Texas Instruments, | the Vision 2007 event is expected to bring the latest tips, | technique...

[News] Another Company (6WIND) Raves About Linux, Linux, Linux...

[News] [Linux] More Focus on Linux Hardware Support
64-Bit Linux Spotlighted at Gelato ICE: Itanium Conference & Expo ,----[ Quote ] | Attendee favorites included keynotes on Linux kernel development for | Itanium architecture by the Linux 2.6 kernel maintainer, Andrew | Morton, and the Itanium processor vision and roadmap by Intel's | James Fister. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070523006049&newsLang=en More Fun With Printing ,----[ Quote ] | Overall, if you choose your printers carefully, printing on | Linux is powerhouse, and getting better all the time. `---- ...

[News] [Linux] Better Intel Support for Linux
Linux: 965GM Express Chipset Drivers ,----[ Quote ] | Keith Packard announced the availability of drivers for Intel's 965GM | Express Chipset. Jeff Garzik responded, "great news. Here's hoping | that Intel produces a standalone video card eventually, to further | take away market share from closed source competitors." `---- http://kerneltrap.org/node/8185 TimeSys Introduces LinuxLink Subscriptions for Intel IXP435 Processors ,----[ Quote ] | This processor is a new addition to Intel's popular line of | network processors and TimeSys is the only vendor to provide | pro...

[News] [Linux] Linux Enthusiasts Show Their Support
Interview With Fred Miller - GNU/Linux Evangelist ,----[ Quote ] | [Q:] Once a migration is approved and announced, where do you see the | biggest resistance to a new system? | | [A:] To be honest, most resistance has been from those who are the least | productive employees. Those who understand that their employer owns | the hardware, not them, and that they are there to do a job and not | "play" are happier with Linux than Windows because it's most often | faster, it's stable, it's much more secure, and applications | are more usable. `---- http://lxer.com/mod...

[News] Bsuinesses Move to Linux, Support Linux
Windows, You Are On Notice ,----[ Quote ] | Hey, Windows: Pack your bags. I think I've found an operating system that can | run the machines that run my smaller business without all the hassles you put | me through. Say hello to Linux `---- http://www.bmighty.com/hardware_software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202102935 DigitalPersona Dips Fingers (with Prints) into Linux Waters ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft-centric vendor gets the idea from current and potential customers | that this Linux thing is not such a bad idea. Said vendor checks out the | biggest Linux distros out there and ...

[News] [Linux] Linux is Coming to 3 More Devices
Intel shows more advanced ultraportable ,----[ Quote ] | Instead of Windows, the MIMD uses Midinux, a Linux operating | system for mobile devices from China's Red Flag Linux. `---- http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/06/07/Intel-shows-advanced-ultraportable_1.html Apple-TV to run Linux soon? ,----[ Quote ] | Despite early success, the project's labors are "not ready for prime | time yet," according to the Wiki page. EFI is not fully working yet, | and the instructions appear to be incomplete and apparently still | evolving. The Wiki page concludes, "I just wanna ...

Web resources about - [News] Many More Devices Run Linux or Support Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Mobile Internet device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They are designed to provide entertainment, information and location-based services for personal use, rather than for corporate use. They allow ...

Dartmouth man, woman face prohibited device charge after potential threat near Halifax airport
Derek Russell Strum and Diana Lynn Richard were charged after ammunition, magazines, gun case seized in searches

Nest’s GPS-enabled Home/Away Assist feature makes your smarthome devices much smarter
Google-owned Nest is best known for its smart thermostat, but the company works on a number of devices which, albeit being generally good at ...

B&H Photo Video Is Offering $50 Discounts On Nexus Devices
Today is the day the Galaxy S7 comes to town, but if you are not a Samsung fan and have been wanting to put your hands on a Nexus device, this ...

Fossil’s Q Motion tracks sleep and activity, learns from Misfit devices
... how much sleep you get, so this is a good addition for the Q Motion but also an expected one. The Q Motion is also the first device to come ...

Amazon has 22 different SanDisk devices are on sale right now – here are the 5 best deals
Sometimes Amazon really strikes gold with its gold box deals of the day, and today's sale is a big one. 22 different SanDisk memory products ...

Apple founder: This Amazon device is the 'next big platform'
When Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak asks his virtual assistant to help him with a task, he’s not talking to Siri. He’s talking to Amazon’s Alexa. ...

Apple founder Steve Wozniak thinks Amazon's new device is the next big platform
Apple founder Steve Wozniak loves the Amazon Echo, a smart speaker that users can talk to. He said that he thinks it's "the next big platform ...

Got a new USB-C device? 19 accessories that will help
... to carry up to 100 watts of power (six times the USB 3.0 limit), a USB-C port can deliver up to 10Gbps double that of current USB 3.0 devices. ...

Report: Snapchat Is Working On Some Kind Of Wearable Device
... physical realm, according to a new report that says the software company is looking to expand into hardware with some kind of wearable device. ...