[News] Microsoft Puts a Face On, Pretends to Like Linux

CNET: Microsoft gives Linux a virtual hug

,----[ Quote ]
| After years of hoping to crush Linux, Microsoft is trying to show it can
| get along with its open-source rival.
`----

Microsoft  H A T E S  Linux. Don't let them fool you guys!

The point when Microsoft facilitates interoperability is the point when it
commits suicide. No-one will forget the FUD assaults (last one yesterday,
from the Didio/Yankee puppet) as well as the character assassination ("GPL
is cancer").

This also reminds me of Port 25 (headed by Hilf). First they argue that they
love Linux, but later comes the endless FUD. Even the ODF plug was away of
driving away GPL plugs developed outside Microsoft.
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Tuesday 18 July 2006 06:37 \__

> CNET: Microsoft gives Linux a virtual hug
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | After years of hoping to crush Linux, Microsoft is trying to show it can
> | get along with its open-source rival.
> `----
>
> Microsoft  H A T E S  Linux. Don't let them fool you guys!
>
> The point when Microsoft facilitates interoperability is the point when it
> commits suicide. No-one will forget the FUD assaults (last one yesterday,
> from the Didio/Yankee puppet) as well as the character assassination ("GPL
> is cancer").
>
> This also reminds me of Port 25 (headed by Hilf). First they argue that
> they love Linux, but later comes the endless FUD. Even the ODF plug was
> away of driving away GPL plugs developed outside Microsoft.

Another speculation/addenda:

(From a friend elsewhere) "If MS can encourage people to try out Linux in a
virtualised environment, there can be similar well-meaning gotchas- but
Linux newcomers will attribute it to Linux."

Similar case: The ODF plug.

Citation: http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060706064747376

Outcome/proof of case:

"This is a stupid dirty trick (as far as I can tell). It basically means that
Word (as it stands now) is deliberately stripping away the formatting in
..odt files when it saves them to .doc (currently the only format that
OOWriter can work with from Word). It's not that Word can't render the
formatting from an odt file, just that it strips it away when saving back to
..doc. Bear in mind that this part of the process does not require the odt
addon."

Source: http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/64829/index.html

This virtualisation software (recent Microsoft takeover) also takes business
from rivals and using the existing channels/pipes and 'Netscapes' another
company. It's monopolistic.
0
newsgroups3 (79677)
7/18/2006 6:37:04 AM
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> CNET: Microsoft gives Linux a virtual hug
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | After years of hoping to crush Linux, Microsoft is trying to show it can
> | get along with its open-source rival.
> `----
>
> Microsoft  H A T E S  Linux. Don't let them fool you guys!
>
> The point when Microsoft facilitates interoperability is the point when it
> commits suicide. No-one will forget the FUD assaults (last one yesterday,
> from the Didio/Yankee puppet) as well as the character assassination ("GPL
> is cancer").
>
> This also reminds me of Port 25 (headed by Hilf). First they argue that
> they love Linux, but later comes the endless FUD. Even the ODF plug was
> away of driving away GPL plugs developed outside Microsoft.

Microsoft's modus operandi has always been to embrace, extend, extinguish.
Their warming up to Linux may be the initial strategy to 1) Tell users that
"we used it and its no good" and 2) Steal as many ideas from the OSS camp
to implement in their own product.

Au79
7/18/2006 11:14:11 PM
__/ [ Au79 ] on Wednesday 19 July 2006 00:14 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> CNET: Microsoft gives Linux a virtual hug
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | After years of hoping to crush Linux, Microsoft is trying to show it can
>> | get along with its open-source rival.
>> `----
>>
>> Microsoft  H A T E S  Linux. Don't let them fool you guys!
>>
>> The point when Microsoft facilitates interoperability is the point when it
>> commits suicide. No-one will forget the FUD assaults (last one yesterday,
>> from the Didio/Yankee puppet) as well as the character assassination ("GPL
>> is cancer").
>>
>> This also reminds me of Port 25 (headed by Hilf). First they argue that
>> they love Linux, but later comes the endless FUD. Even the ODF plug was
>> away of driving away GPL plugs developed outside Microsoft.
>

> Microsoft's modus operandi has always been to embrace, extend, extinguish.
> Their warming up to Linux may be the initial strategy to 1) Tell users that
> "we used it and its no good" and 2) Steal as many ideas from the OSS camp
> to implement in their own product.

1 -- That's Bill Hilf and Port 25 (the Linux lab).

2 -- Same as (1) as they imitate from Linux, as well as Mac OS.

Look at Windows Vista (looks, applications and components) to see the great
amount of features that were copied from Mac OS, GNU/Linux, and various Open
Source projects.
0
newsgroups3 (79677)