[News] Modern GNU/Linux Compared to Mac OS X

How Does Ubuntu 9.04 Measure Up to Mac OS X?

,----[ Quote ]
| Over all, Ubuntu 9.04 averages a B+ in this comparison against Mac OS X
| usability.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7419/1.html

Recent:

- From OSX to Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| So far I’m not really missing that much - clearly OSX has a certain feel of
| slickness to it but in the last couple of years Ubuntu has become much more
| refined and easier to use. More an more works without intervention - I’d long
| held an opinion that using linux was like owning a vintage beetle — It’s
| great but you have to spend all weekend tinkering with it to keep it on the
| road. For me using windows was like that, as I found more and more time was
| sucked into keeping my PC running. When I switched to OSX I found my
| productivity went up. So far with Linux it’s too early to tell whether I’m as
| productive though I’m fairly confident that I’m finding enough software that
| performs well and is intuitive to use that I should be every bit as “at home”
| on Linux as I was on the mac. Plus with the added bonus that I’ve got a much
| better set of linux tools (rather than bsd) under the hood and not to mention
| that running an open source operating system is a much better prospect long
| term.
`----

http://muffinresearch.co.uk/archives/2009/04/05/from-osx-to-ubuntu/

Mac OS is better than Ubuntu Linux: A myth

,----[ Quote ]
| The myths
|
|   * Ubuntu does not have a good UI : This is absolutely rubbish, checkout
|     the new KDE that comes with Ubuntu.
|   * To install software a user has to use a command line on Ubuntu :
|     Another false claim. The Synaptic package manager is brilliant and does
|     not require interaction with the command line. There are some software
|     that do need command line usage. Then again those won’t be ones an
|     average user is going to use.
|   * You have to build software from source code on Ubuntu. This is not
|     something an average user would be able to do : The software that come in
|     source code form are definitely not intended for the average user. The
|     ones that are meant for the average user come in binary formats that are
|     easy to install.
|
|     [...]
`----

http://prosenjit23.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/ubuntu-vs-mac-os-truths-and-myths/

Switch to Ubuntu Linux not Apple Mac OS

,----[ Quote ]
| So why are people not going over to Ubuntu? Beats me. If you are looking for
| commercial technical support, Ubuntu does offer that. If you are looking at
| extreme personalization options Ubuntu offers that, probably even more than
| the Mac OS. If you are looking for easy upgrades to future versions, Ubuntu
| offers that. If you are looking for ease of use, Ubuntu offers that. If you
| are looking for robustness and security, Ubuntu is the best. Ubuntu can be
| installed on all types of hardware and even on older hardware. Mac OS does
| not offer this flexibility.
|
| The more I use Ubuntu, the more I fail to understand the lure of the Mac OS.
| Is it the snob value or stupidity that make people consider a Mac over
| Windows and not Ubuntu?
`----

http://prosenjit23.wordpress.com/2008/10/17/switch-to-ubuntu-linux-not-apple-mac-os/

Dell Mini Inspiron 9

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m living the dream, I tell you! I’ve swapped my MacBook for a Dell Mini and
| so far the experience has been pretty positive.
`----

http://jonrob.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/dell-mini-inspiron-9/

The Difference Between Vista, XP, Linux and Mac OS Explained

,----[ Quote ]
| A middle school student I know asked me to explain the difference between
| Vista, XP, Linux and Mac OS.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/155470/the_difference_between_vista_xp_linux_and_mac_os_explained.html

Why Desktop Linux Holds Its Own Against OS X

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple spends millions of dollars each year to explain why OS X is the world's
| best desktop operating system. That doesn't necessarily mean it's true.
|
| TechRepublic blogger Jack Wallen recently posted ten things that he thinks
| Linux does better than Mac OS X. His list is a welcome antidote to Apple's
| (unsurprising) party line: Anything Linux can do, OS X can do better.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/01/why_desktop_lin.html

Ubuntu shines where OS X fails

,----[ Quote ]
| Coming from a lifetime as a Mac user you can imagine that I am rather
| trusting of the OS, especially as a creative tool. In recent years, as Apple
| has evolved OS X, it has continued to surprise me (in a good sort of way.)
|
| Regarding their OS X server, given that I have used it since 2001, I was
| rather excited to try it out in my new web software venture. My impression
| was it would be as easy to run a web site on OS X server as it is easy to
| manage a creative project.
|
| Wrong.
|
| I have had the distinct displeasure of trying to get a simple php script to
| run via the command line (instead of a browser.) The first catastrophe was
| using Leopard server. After the upgrades kept locking the machine such that
| the only solution was a complete system reinstall (with careful attention to
| NOT update) we opted to use the standard Tiger client version to run this
| test.
`----

http://www.ubuntuproductivity.com/journal/venting/02/2009/ubuntu-shines-where-os-x-fails/

Moving from Mac to Ubuntu: Why I’m switching

,----[ Quote ]
| Why I’m leaving Mac
|
|    1. Crap file management.The Finder doesn’t work for me. No location bar
|    and no tree strucure side panel makes it difficult to navigate folders and
|    move files around the way I want to.
|    2. Insufficient panels & customization. In Ubuntu I can have as many
|    panels I want, can put all kinds of stuff on them, and can arrange them
|    however I want. In OSX You just have the dock, and you can really only put
|    applications or files on them, and you can’t even put in a separator to
|    keep them organized.
|    3. Various other annoyances. Such as:
|           * program menus are glued to the top of the screen on one monitor
|           only, which detaches them from the window. This is especailly
|           annoying when the program you’re using is on the second monitor.
|           * the date/time doesn’t open to a navigable calendar. I often use
|           this to check dates in the past or future.
|           * you can’t see hidden files unless you run a command from the
|           terminal to turn them on. Thus, hidden files are either always on
|           or always off.
`----

http://meganmcdermott.com/2008/08/29/moving-mac-ubuntu-switching/
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] GNU/Linux More Polished Then Windows, Mac OS X

[News] Mac OS X Does Not Look Better Than GNU/Linux

[News] Suggestions for Upgrading from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux

[News] GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X in Areas

[News] Musician Leaves Mac OS X to Embrace GNU/Linux

[News] What Sets Apart GNU/Linux from Windows and Mac OS X

[News] Moving Toward Freedom, from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux
Linux Install Series Part 1: Why Install Linux on your Mac? ,----[ Quote ] | That is the question my fellow Mac users. In today's world we take | what we have for granted but we forget that we have freedom, we have | choice. And we need to take advantage of this. It is important to | realize that we are not limited to what is 'given' to us. Thus, Free | Software gives us the freedom to chose. `---- http://openengineering.blogspot.com/2006/12/linux-install-series-part-1-why-install.html Related quote: http://popagandhi.com/458/it-was-a-very-good-year/ ,----[ Quote ] | As a las...

[News] Why Mac OS X Can Never Match GNU/Linux

[News] User Dumps Mac OS X for GNU/Linux with KDE4

[News] GNU/Linux Outperforms Mac OS X in Most Latest Benchmarks

[News] GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X at Everything But Advertising

[News] Users Bamboozled Into Thinking GNU/Linux is Mac OS X (Leopard)

[News] Experiment with GNU/Linux Shows Where it Beats Mac OS X and Windows

[News] User Has Had Enough of Apple; Migration from Mac OS X to... GNU/Linux
Switching From Mac To Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The straw that broke the camel's back was the release of iTunes 7. I | excitedly downloaded it, reading up on some of the new features. There | wasn't much of interest for me, but who can resist a major update of a | killer application? I turned on L7's "Smell The Magic" and began to | check out the new interface. | | Revolting! The playlist panel was suddenly clunky, chopped into three | chunks of ugliness. The "new" Coverflow interfaces made me think of | Windows Media Player. This wasn't iTunes... it was a tr...

[News] Guide and Tips for Dumping Mac OS X for GNU/Linux Desktop

[News] Moving from Mac OS X to Desktop GNU/Linux Working Out Well

[News] Story Explains Why GNU/Linux is Better Than Mac OS X, Windows

[News] Former Microsoft Intern Likes GNU/Linux More than Mac OS X

[News] GNU/Linux Saves the Day, Windows and Mac OS X Behind in the Area

Web resources about - [News] Modern GNU/Linux Compared to Mac OS X - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Sheryl Sandberg: Facebook Is ‘A Much Stronger Company’ Compared With One Year Ago
Facebook Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg urged attendees at the Reuters Global Technology Summit in San Francisco Wednesday to judge ...

Boston Globe sells for $70 million. Not much compared to...
The NYT sold the Boston Globe to the owner of the Boston Red Sox for $70 million . HootSuite, a Twitter and Facebook utility, raised $165 million ...

Why do so many MIT grads wear their class ring, compared to other colleges?
Answer (1 of 4): I've asked fellow graduates why they wear their ring, and their answers can be fit into a few buckets: pride, conversation piece, ...

$50 Multimeter Shootout - Part 1 - 15 DMMs Compared! - Intro - #0068 - YouTube
Time for a $50 multimeter shootout! This video is part 1, the one where I give a quick intro, and introduce each multimeter one-by-one. The multimeters ...

Medium SUVs compared
We pit nine of the best-selling SUVs against each other.

7-seaters compared: Kia v Honda v Peugeot v Fiat v Subaru (06:38)
We test the latest sub-$40,000 seven-seat people movers to see which one is best in class.

'Unsociable' Hawks are good guys compared to some
They've built a reputation around their brand of "unsociable football", the club that plays closest to the edge, in terms of aggression. ...

Australian minister Barnaby Joyce dismisses red meat-cancer link, says processed meat shouldn't be compared ...
Australia's Agricultural Minister believes that the World Health Organisation's claim that processed meat can cause cancer is a “farce.”

Planhacker: iPhone 4S Australian Launch Pricing Compared
Optus, Telstra, Vodafone and Virgin Mobile have all announced their contract launch pricing for the iPhone 4S, which goes on sale this Friday ...

George St Sydney bus closure compared to Melbourne Swanston St closure
THE journey to work for hundreds of thousands of commuters in Sydney will never be the same again. Next week, the city centre’s main artery starts ...