[News] More Embedded Linux and Linux-adjunct Hardware

Cortex-A8 kit targets medical devices

,----[ Quote ]
| Logic has announced a system-on-module (SOM) and development baseboard aimed
| at bringing ARM's newest Cortex-A8 architecture to medical devices. Logic's 3
| x 1.3 inch "OMAP35x SOM-LV" baseboard and "Zoom OMAP35x" dev kit offer a
| choice of four Cortex-A8 processors, and comes with a Linux 2.6.22 BSP (board
| support package).
`----

VIA Launches Mini-ITX 2.0 Form Factor

,----[ Quote ]
| Major Linux distributions (Ubuntu, gOS, or SuSE) are also mentioned as being
| compatible with VIA's very-small-computing design.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjUxMA

Last week:

Why Linux won the embedded market?

,----[ Quote ]
| One story not told often enough involves Linux’ growing domination of the
| embedded market.
|
| In this space Linux usually stacks up against older Real Time Operating
| Systems (RTOS). The decision by Wind River, the largest RTOS vendor, to
| migrate toward Linux was a turning point.
|
| There has been no turning back. But this is not an open source story. In
| fact, the embedded Linux business looks a lot like the rest of the embedded
| market.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2501

Recent:

Microsoft Worried Over Linux Dominance In Embedded Space

,----[ Quote ]
| Renames its family of products to target the embedded market.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/26010/news.htm

Who's afraid of embedded Linux? Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Microsoft is fighting a losing battle here. It's like gravity.
| Eventually you just stop fighting and learn to accept it. Even Microsoft.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9919632-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Linux still top embedded OS

,----[ Quote ]
| In a new whitepaper on Linux in the embedded market, VDC researchers cite the
| following reasons for Linux's popularity:
|
|     * Licensing cost advantages
|     * Flexibility of source code access
|     * General familiarity
|     * Maturing ecosystem of applications and tools
|     * Growing developer experience with Linux as an embedded OS
`----

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> schreef in bericht

> Cortex-A8 kit targets medical devices
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Logic has announced a system-on-module (SOM) and development baseboard
> aimed
> | at bringing ARM's newest Cortex-A8 architecture to medical devices.
> Logic's 3
> | x 1.3 inch "OMAP35x SOM-LV" baseboard and "Zoom OMAP35x" dev kit offer a
> | choice of four Cortex-A8 processors, and comes with a Linux 2.6.22 BSP
> (board
> | support package).
> `----

> VIA Launches Mini-ITX 2.0 Form Factor
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Major Linux distributions (Ubuntu, gOS, or SuSE) are also mentioned as
> being
> | compatible with VIA's very-small-computing design.
> `----
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjUxMA
>

> Last week:
>
> Why Linux won the embedded market?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | One story not told often enough involves Linux’ growing domination of
> the
> | embedded market.
> |
> | In this space Linux usually stacks up against older Real Time Operating
> | Systems (RTOS). The decision by Wind River, the largest RTOS vendor, to
> | migrate toward Linux was a turning point.
> |
> | There has been no turning back. But this is not an open source story. In
> | fact, the embedded Linux business looks a lot like the rest of the
> embedded
> | market.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2501
>

> Recent:
>
> Microsoft Worried Over Linux Dominance In Embedded Space
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Renames its family of products to target the embedded market.
> `----
>
> http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/26010/news.htm
>

> Who's afraid of embedded Linux? Microsoft

<quote>
       been created.
          * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
          * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks