[News] Multicore Linux Phones Are Coming, Other Linux Phones Make Strides

ARM: multicore mobiles coming next year

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking at a showcase of ARM-powered
| devices in central London - encompassing
| everything from the new Nokia N900 Linux
| smartphone to a remarkably thin prototype
| netbook - the company's mobile segment
| manager, Laurence Bryant, told PC Pro that
| smartphone performance is set to take a
| considerable leap forward.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/352882/arm-multicore-mobiles-coming-next-year

Palm Hires AMD/ATI Linux Core Engineer

,----[ Quote ]
| Another day, another high-profile outside
| hire for Palm Inc. Phoronix reports today
| that Australian native Matthew Tippett,
| engineering manager for Linux Core
| Engineering at AMD/ATI, will be joining
| Palm as their new head of Linux kernel
| development.
`----

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9972/palm-hires-amd-ati-linux-core-engineer/

Nokia N900 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Finally, the N900 runs Maemo, a Linux-based
| operating system that is backed by major
| players like Intel. Where does the Nokia
| N900 fit in the current smartphone
| landscape?
`----

http://www.ubergizmo.com/tags/nokia-n900-review

Recent:

Sun's Niagara gets Linux (again)

,----[ Quote ]
| Server maker Sun Microsystems has a new Linux partner for its "Niagara"
| family of multicore processors and their related servers: Wind River Systems.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/19/sun_niagara_linux/

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Linux, Linux, Linux at Acer (Phones and Tablets)

Linux, Linux, Linux

[News] Many Linux Phones Are Coming, Symbian Helps Linux Too

[News] [Linux] Mobile Phone Eye Candy Comes to Linux Devices
Better Visual Effects on Mobile Linux UI ,----[ Quote ] | Mizi Research has brought new updates for the Linux graphical interface | of mobile phones. They managed to do this by upgrading Prizm to version | 3.0 and equipping it with a series of nice enhancements. `---- http://news.softpedia.com/news/Better-Visual-Effects-on-Mobile-Linux-UI-55095.shtml Another nice Linux UI below (video). Related: [Video] Intel MIDINUX operating system for MIDs in action ,----[ Quote ] | Do you remember when we spoke about MIDs, Intel's version of | UMPCs with mobile operating system? MIDs are suppose...

[News] Linux Phones Keep WINNING, Palm's Linux Phone Gets Flash

[News] Linux Mobile Phones Get New Features; Another Linux Smart Phone PDA from Motorola
Red Bend Software and Trolltech to Bring Over-the-Air Software Component Management to Linux Mobile Phones ,----[ Quote ] | Mobile phones have become sophisticated communications and multi-media | devices. As functionality increases, so too does the amount of software | inside mobile phones. Operators, manufacturers and software developers need | the flexibility and control to update, add, change and remove any software | component inside the mobile phone at any point during the device's lifetime. `---- http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/080122/0350817.html Motorola MOTOMING A1600 3G GPS Linux Smart Phone PDA ,----[ Quote ] | Motorola announces their new PDA phones, MOTOMING A1600 SmartPhone. The next | generation of motorola MOTOMING A1200 with enhanced features. `---- http://www.storeplace.net/2008/01/21/motorola-motoming-a1600-3g-gps-linux-smart-phone-pda/ Quote for the day: "One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating system."                 --John Warden, lead attorney at Microsoft Related: Mot demo's Linux-based DVB-H handheld ,----[ Quote ] | Motorola has announced a personal media player (PMP) and related broadcast | transmission equipment based on the emerging wireless TV broadcast standard, | DVB-H (digital video broadcast, handhelds). The Linux-based Mobile TV DH01 | handheld will enable the viewing of live, on-demand, and recorded programs, | says Motorola...

[News] Samsung Sells Linux (Ballnux) Phones at Almost 100 Times The Pace of Microsoft "KIN", Makes Linux TVs

[News] [Linux] Japans Makes Linux More Secure, India Builds Own Linux
CREST Begins Project to Increase Linux Security and Reliability ,----[ Quote | Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST) fortifies a project aimed | at strengthening security and reliability of Linux and other embedded | OSs as part of its "CREST (Core Research for Evolutional Science | and Technology)" initiative. `---- http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20070530/133371/ Getting to know the Indian Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Mr. Mathew added that the development team intended to localise | the OS into all 22 official Indian languages. "The move is aimed | to provide co...

[News] Linux for Payments, Phones; Telstra Chooses Linux

[News] [Linux] Motorola Brings Linux Phones to America
Motorola finally launches U.S. Linux phone ,----[ Quote ] | Linux/Java has topped CEO Ed Zander's list of things to look for | from Motorola as it attempts a financial turnaround. At a New | York press conference this morning, Zander introduced Linux-based" | Rokr" and "Razr2" models, along with new top-level executives. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8879219087.html That ought to do some damage to Symbian. Windows mobile is almost nowhere to be seen with just about 4% market share. This is one of Microsoft's divisions, which I suspect is losing $billio...

[News] Opera and Linux, HP and Linux (Not Just for Phones)

[News] [Linux] Trolltech Gives Free Linux Phones to Developers
Trolltech Offers Open Source Community a Mobile Development Platform With Qtopia Greenphone Grant Program ,----[ Quote ] | Qtopia Greenphone, a Linux mobile development device open for | unlimited software innovation, aims to bring the customization | and choice we now have on our PCs to mobile phones. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070626005570&newsLang=en#2398992664106384537 http://tinyurl.com/2mvy3f Related: Trolltech Greenphone developer's SDK ,----[ Quote ] | So, to begin, what is the Greenphone? Its an Xsc...

[News] [Linux] Linux Phones Heading Toward Unification, Standardisation
Open spec aims to unify Linux phone stacks ,----[ Quote ] | After nineteen months of work, the Linux Phone Standards (LiPS) | Forum has started publishing its first open, royalty-free | specification, aimed at reducing fragmentation among Linux | implementations for mobile phones. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2327129491.html Feature: 5 Cool Linux-Powered Phones ,----[ Quote ] | We have seen the future of cell phones, and it?s Linux. These | five phones bring the flexibility of Linux to the portable world. `---- http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/feature-5-co...

I have Linux! I have Linux!

Why linux is linux

My Linux is not your Linux

[News] Linux Expected to Become the Dominant Phones Platform, Many Android Phones to Come

[News] When Linux Comes to Work, Linux Comes Home
Why Linux isn't mainstream ,----[ Quote ] | With the ease of installation, maintenance, and use of many recent Linux | distributions, such as Ubuntu and Fedora, some are left wondering why Linux | still isn't more widespread. Here's my theory. | | [...] | | But the primary reason that more home users aren't on Linux is because | they don't use Linux at work. So the work environment is the root of | the problem. `---- http://synthesisbusiness.blogspot.com/2006/08/why-linux-isnt-mainstream-with-ease-of.html In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz <newsgrou...

[News] PacketVideo Praises Linux, Purple Labs Releases Linux Phone
Interview with Jim Brailean, CEO of PacketVideo ,----[ Quote ] | Jim Brailean: It's good. First off, Linux is a very attractive platform in | the cell phone market. One--it drives innovation, and two--it has an | attractive licensing model. For us, we are providing a multimedia framework | for Android. We see it really bring a much needed solution to the Linux | marketplace. `---- http://www.socaltech.com/fullstory/0013535.html Purple Labs launches Linux phone ,----[ Quote ] | Purple Labs has announced a new mobile handset in conjunction with NXP | Semiconductors aimed at em...

[News] Motorola Brings New Linux Phone, Open Linux Platform
Motorola produces a Linux-based slider with an open platform ,----[ Quote ] | But the real standout feature of this device is that it runs on Motorola's | mobile Linux platform, Motomagx. `---- http://www.betanews.com/article/Motorola_produces_a_Linuxbased_slider_with_an_open_platform/1202762519 Recent: Is this the touchscreen Motorola A810? ,----[ Quote ] | Anything is possible we guess, but this Motorola A810 looks a bit like it | might have been put together at kindergarten craft hour. Apparently this | Linux-based — LiMo? — 2.4-inch touchscreen device will feature handwritin...

[News] Dell to Sell Linux Phones, Motorola Gets Closer to Linux/Google

[News] Motorola Entered Linux Development World, LG Releases Linux Phone

[News] Nettop Runs GNU/Linux and New Phone Runs Linux on ARM9

Web resources about - [News] Multicore Linux Phones Are Coming, Other Linux Phones Make Strides - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Multicore Packet Processing Forum
Technical feedbacks of developers with Multicore Packet Processing and market informations

Audio multicore cable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An audio multicore cable (often colloquially referred to in America as a snake cable or just a snake ) is a cable which contains from 4 to 64 ...

OMAP 5 smart multicore processor vs. quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 - YouTube
Sometimes less really is more. Check out the Web page loading time between TI's OMAP™ 5 smart multicore processor, featuring two ARM® Cortex™-A15 ...

Intel exec: Programming for multicore chips a challenge
... computing demands, but it could create more challenges for programmers writing code that enables applications to work effectively with multicore ...

MIT randomizes tasks to speed massive multicore processors
As each new generation of computer processors arrives with a larger number of computing cores, computer scientists grapple with how best to make ...

Samsung teams up with Mozilla to build browser engine for multicore machines
Servo browser engine uses Mozilla's new Rust language.

Intel, Microsoft: Snapping Up Multicore Developers - Businessweek
Between them, the two giants have bought three software developers that build programs for multicore chips. Is multicore the summer's sleeper ...

Multicore Chips Roil Software Pricing Waters
The growing popularity of server chips with multiple microprocessor cores continues to muddy the waters of software pricing: CIOs should ... ...

Windows Phone 8 OS opens up to multicore processors, NFC
Microsoft's young smartphone operating system promises to grow up with Windows Phone 8. Multicore is here With quad-core phones on the horizon, ...