[News] Musician Leaves Mac OS X to Embrace GNU/Linux

- From Mac to Linux: A Musician Convert

,----[ Quote ]
| Now Peter Kirn has captured Cascone's conversion story on
| createdigitalmusic.com. Interesting about the article is not only the facts
| of Cascone's conversion, but the comments accompanying it that contain
| numerous tips and information on sound processing under Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/From-Mac-to-Linux-A-Musician-Convert

Recent:

How Does Ubuntu 9.04 Measure Up to Mac OS X?

,----[ Quote ]
| Over all, Ubuntu 9.04 averages a B+ in this comparison against Mac OS X
| usability.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7419/1.html

- From OSX to Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| So far I’m not really missing that much - clearly OSX has a certain feel of
| slickness to it but in the last couple of years Ubuntu has become much more
| refined and easier to use. More an more works without intervention - I’d long
| held an opinion that using linux was like owning a vintage beetle — It’s
| great but you have to spend all weekend tinkering with it to keep it on the
| road. For me using windows was like that, as I found more and more time was
| sucked into keeping my PC running. When I switched to OSX I found my
| productivity went up. So far with Linux it’s too early to tell whether I’m as
| productive though I’m fairly confident that I’m finding enough software that
| performs well and is intuitive to use that I should be every bit as “at home”
| on Linux as I was on the mac. Plus with the added bonus that I’ve got a much
| better set of linux tools (rather than bsd) under the hood and not to mention
| that running an open source operating system is a much better prospect long
| term.
`----

http://muffinresearch.co.uk/archives/2009/04/05/from-osx-to-ubuntu/

Mac OS is better than Ubuntu Linux: A myth

,----[ Quote ]
| The myths
|
|   * Ubuntu does not have a good UI : This is absolutely rubbish, checkout
|     the new KDE that comes with Ubuntu.
|   * To install software a user has to use a command line on Ubuntu :
|     Another false claim. The Synaptic package manager is brilliant and does
|     not require interaction with the command line. There are some software
|     that do need command line usage. Then again those won’t be ones an
|     average user is going to use.
|   * You have to build software from source code on Ubuntu. This is not
|     something an average user would be able to do : The software that come in
|     source code form are definitely not intended for the average user. The
|     ones that are meant for the average user come in binary formats that are
|     easy to install.
|
|     [...]
`----

http://prosenjit23.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/ubuntu-vs-mac-os-truths-and-myths/

Switch to Ubuntu Linux not Apple Mac OS

,----[ Quote ]
| So why are people not going over to Ubuntu? Beats me. If you are looking for
| commercial technical support, Ubuntu does offer that. If you are looking at
| extreme personalization options Ubuntu offers that, probably even more than
| the Mac OS. If you are looking for easy upgrades to future versions, Ubuntu
| offers that. If you are looking for ease of use, Ubuntu offers that. If you
| are looking for robustness and security, Ubuntu is the best. Ubuntu can be
| installed on all types of hardware and even on older hardware. Mac OS does
| not offer this flexibility.
|
| The more I use Ubuntu, the more I fail to understand the lure of the Mac OS.
| Is it the snob value or stupidity that make people consider a Mac over
| Windows and not Ubuntu?
`----

http://prosenjit23.wordpress.com/2008/10/17/switch-to-ubuntu-linux-not-apple-mac-os/

Dell Mini Inspiron 9

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m living the dream, I tell you! I’ve swapped my MacBook for a Dell Mini and
| so far the experience has been pretty positive.
`----

http://jonrob.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/dell-mini-inspiron-9/

The Difference Between Vista, XP, Linux and Mac OS Explained

,----[ Quote ]
| A middle school student I know asked me to explain the difference between
| Vista, XP, Linux and Mac OS.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/155470/the_difference_between_vista_xp_linux_and_mac_os_explained.html

Why Desktop Linux Holds Its Own Against OS X

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple spends millions of dollars each year to explain why OS X is the world's
| best desktop operating system. That doesn't necessarily mean it's true.
|
| TechRepublic blogger Jack Wallen recently posted ten things that he thinks
| Linux does better than Mac OS X. His list is a welcome antidote to Apple's
| (unsurprising) party line: Anything Linux can do, OS X can do better.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/01/why_desktop_lin.html

Ubuntu shines where OS X fails

,----[ Quote ]
| Coming from a lifetime as a Mac user you can imagine that I am rather
| trusting of the OS, especially as a creative tool. In recent years, as Apple
| has evolved OS X, it has continued to surprise me (in a good sort of way.)
|
| Regarding their OS X server, given that I have used it since 2001, I was
| rather excited to try it out in my new web software venture. My impression
| was it would be as easy to run a web site on OS X server as it is easy to
| manage a creative project.
|
| Wrong.
|
| I have had the distinct displeasure of trying to get a simple php script to
| run via the command line (instead of a browser.) The first catastrophe was
| using Leopard server. After the upgrades kept locking the machine such that
| the only solution was a complete system reinstall (with careful attention to
| NOT update) we opted to use the standard Tiger client version to run this
| test.
`----

http://www.ubuntuproductivity.com/journal/venting/02/2009/ubuntu-shines-where-os-x-fails/

Moving from Mac to Ubuntu: Why I’m switching

,----[ Quote ]
| Why I’m leaving Mac
|
|    1. Crap file management.The Finder doesn’t work for me. No location bar
|    and no tree strucure side panel makes it difficult to navigate folders and
|    move files around the way I want to.
|    2. Insufficient panels & customization. In Ubuntu I can have as many
|    panels I want, can put all kinds of stuff on them, and can arrange them
|    however I want. In OSX You just have the dock, and you can really only put
|    applications or files on them, and you can’t even put in a separator to
|    keep them organized.
|    3. Various other annoyances. Such as:
|           * program menus are glued to the top of the screen on one monitor
|           only, which detaches them from the window. This is especailly
|           annoying when the program you’re using is on the second monitor.
|           * the date/time doesn’t open to a navigable calendar. I often use
|           this to check dates in the past or future.
|           * you can’t see hidden files unless you run a command from the
|           terminal to turn them on. Thus, hidden files are either always on
|           or always off.
`----

http://meganmcdermott.com/2008/08/29/moving-mac-ubuntu-switching/
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 12:59:59 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> - From Mac to Linux: A Musician Convert
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Now Peter Kirn has captured Cascone's conversion story on
>| createdigitalmusic.com. Interesting about the article is not only the facts
>| of Cascone's conversion, but the comments accompanying it that contain
>| numerous tips and information on sound processing under Linux.
> `----
>
> http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Online/News/From-Mac-to-Linux-A-Musician-Convert

It's a good article and the author makes some valid points.

Here is a link to the original and make sure you read the
comments:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/08/04/linux-music-workflow-switching-from-mac-os-x-to-ubuntu-with-kim-cascone/
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)
8/7/2009 2:46:19 PM
In article <h5hf6k$v07$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Moshe Goldfarb <moshegoldfarb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's a good article and the author makes some valid points.
>
> Here is a link to the original and make sure you read the
> comments:
>
> http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/08/04/linux-music-workflow-switching-from-m
> ac-os-x-to-ubuntu-with-kim-cascone/

Quite a few other musicians commented when this story ran on Slashdot,
mostly explaining why Linux failed for them when they tried to use it
for pro music work. A couple explained why it works for Kim Cascone.

One explained:

   Audio support is fine. Music making support OTOH is abysmal. The
   article correctly points out that sound recording, editing and
   mixing is fine on Linux. The heavyweight music creation tools just
   don't exist and many of the top-end hardware interfaces simply don't
   have Linux drivers.

Now go look at Cascone's music. It's heavily based on taking recorded
sounds (industrial noise, ambient sounds, etc) and editing and mixing
them into interesting musical productions. His music fits perfectly with
the subset of pro music things that Linux currently does well.

That's good progress for Linux, but it still has a long way to go before
you will see it becoming widespread among musicians.

--
--Tim Smith
0
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 10:58:58 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <h5hf6k$v07$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  Moshe Goldfarb <moshegoldfarb@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> It's a good article and the author makes some valid points.
>>
>> Here is a link to the original and make sure you read the
>> comments:
>>
>> http://createdigitalmusic.com/2009/08/04/linux-music-workflow-switching-from-m
>> ac-os-x-to-ubuntu-with-kim-cascone/
>
> Quite a few other musicians commented when this story ran on Slashdot,
> mostly explaining why Linux failed for them when they tried to use it
> for pro music work. A couple explained why it works for Kim Cascone.

Kim has a different approach to making "music" and Linux is a
good fit for his work flow.

> One explained:
>
>    Audio support is fine. Music making support OTOH is abysmal. The
>    article correctly points out that sound recording, editing and
>    mixing is fine on Linux. The heavyweight music creation tools just
>    don't exist and many of the top-end hardware interfaces simply don't
>    have Linux drivers.

This is correct.
The biggest problem is lack of things like Ivory, DOD, Sonnox,
Waves and the vast array of softsynths and instruments that the
Windows/Mac platforms have access to.

IOW instruments used to create music.

> Now go look at Cascone's music. It's heavily based on taking recorded
> sounds (industrial noise, ambient sounds, etc) and editing and mixing
> them into interesting musical productions. His music fits perfectly with
> the subset of pro music things that Linux currently does well.

Exactly.

> That's good progress for Linux, but it still has a long way to go before
> you will see it becoming widespread among musicians.

I got in a discussion with a person over this very topic a few
months ago and it turned out that he was creating "music" via
integral math and fractals.
I find a lot of this type of stuff in the Linux world.
Interesting?
Sure.
Is it going to bring the clients into your studio?
Not a chance.

I also found Kim's comparison of an Apple to his refurbished
Dell laughable.
Apples and oranges :)

Traditional musicians are trying to like and use Linux in a
professional capacity but without the aftermarket support for
interfaces, control surfaces, plug in DSP cards and soft synths,
Linux is pretty much dead before it starts.
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)
8/7/2009 6:08:54 PM
In article <h5hr2g$qm8$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
 Moshe Goldfarb <moshegoldfarb@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I got in a discussion with a person over this very topic a few
> months ago and it turned out that he was creating "music" via
> integral math and fractals.
> I find a lot of this type of stuff in the Linux world.
> Interesting?
> Sure.
> Is it going to bring the clients into your studio?
> Not a chance.

Speaking of math and music, you might find this amusing:

<http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/06/23/musical-archaeology-with-mathematica/

> <http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/06/23/musical-archaeology-with-mathematica/>

--
--Tim Smith
0
reply_in_group (13194)
8/7/2009 7:57:56 PM
On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 12:57:56 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

> In article <h5hr2g$qm8$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
>  Moshe Goldfarb <moshegoldfarb@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I got in a discussion with a person over this very topic a few
>> months ago and it turned out that he was creating "music" via
>> integral math and fractals.
>> I find a lot of this type of stuff in the Linux world.
>> Interesting?
>> Sure.
>> Is it going to bring the clients into your studio?
>> Not a chance.
>
> Speaking of math and music, you might find this amusing:
>
> <http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/06/23/musical-archaeology-with-mathematica/
>>

>> <http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/06/23/musical-archaeology-with-mathematica/>

Haha!
Fascinating!
Thanks!
0
moshegoldfarb (3146)
8/7/2009 10:28:09 PM
On 2009-08-07, the following emerged from the brain of Moshe Goldfarb:
> On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 12:57:56 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
>
>> In article <h5hr2g$qm8$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
>>  Moshe Goldfarb <moshegoldfarb@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I got in a discussion with a person over this very topic a few
>>> months ago and it turned out that he was creating "music" via
>>> integral math and fractals.
>>> I find a lot of this type of stuff in the Linux world.
>>> Interesting?
>>> Sure.
>>> Is it going to bring the clients into your studio?
>>> Not a chance.
>>
>> Speaking of math and music, you might find this amusing:
>>
>> <http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/06/23/musical-archaeology-with-mathematica/
>>>

>>> <http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/06/23/musical-archaeology-with-mathematica/>
>
> Haha!
> Fascinating!
> Thanks!

Indeed. Great fun :-)

--
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
		-- Mark Twain
Tim Smith wrote:
> In article <h5hr2g$qm8$1@news.eternal-september.org>,
> Moshe Goldfarb <moshegoldfarb@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I got in a discussion with a person over this very topic a few
>> months ago and it turned out that he was creating "music" via
>> integral math and fractals.
>> I find a lot of this type of stuff in the Linux world.
>> Interesting?
>> Sure.
>> Is it going to bring the clients into your studio?
>> Not a chance.
>
> Speaking of math and music, you might find this amusing:
>
> <http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/06/23/musical-archaeology-with-mathematica/
>>

>> <http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/06/23/musical-archaeology-with-mathematica/>

Kewl.

0
nospam11 (18349)

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] Mac OS X Users Leave Apple and Come to Desktop GNU/Linux

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] Modern GNU/Linux Compared to Mac OS X

[News] GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X in Areas

[News] Suggestions for Upgrading from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux

[News] GNU/Linux More Polished Then Windows, Mac OS X

[News] Mac OS X Does Not Look Better Than GNU/Linux

[News] GNU/Linux Outperforms Mac OS X in Most Latest Benchmarks

[News] GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X at Everything But Advertising

[News] Why Mac OS X Can Never Match GNU/Linux

[News] What Sets Apart GNU/Linux from Windows and Mac OS X

[News] Moving Toward Freedom, from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux
Linux Install Series Part 1: Why Install Linux on your Mac? ,----[ Quote ] | That is the question my fellow Mac users. In today's world we take | what we have for granted but we forget that we have freedom, we have | choice. And we need to take advantage of this. It is important to | realize that we are not limited to what is 'given' to us. Thus, Free | Software gives us the freedom to chose. `---- http://openengineering.blogspot.com/2006/12/linux-install-series-part-1-why-install.html Related quote: http://popagandhi.com/458/it-was-a-very-good-year/ ,----[ Quote ] | As a las...

[News] User Dumps Mac OS X for GNU/Linux with KDE4

[News] Story Explains Why GNU/Linux is Better Than Mac OS X, Windows

[News] Users Bamboozled Into Thinking GNU/Linux is Mac OS X (Leopard)

[News] Experiment with GNU/Linux Shows Where it Beats Mac OS X and Windows

[News] Guide and Tips for Dumping Mac OS X for GNU/Linux Desktop

[News] Moving from Mac OS X to Desktop GNU/Linux Working Out Well

[News] User Has Had Enough of Apple; Migration from Mac OS X to... GNU/Linux
Switching From Mac To Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The straw that broke the camel's back was the release of iTunes 7. I | excitedly downloaded it, reading up on some of the new features. There | wasn't much of interest for me, but who can resist a major update of a | killer application? I turned on L7's "Smell The Magic" and began to | check out the new interface. | | Revolting! The playlist panel was suddenly clunky, chopped into three | chunks of ugliness. The "new" Coverflow interfaces made me think of | Windows Media Player. This wasn't iTunes... it was a tr...

[News] Former Microsoft Intern Likes GNU/Linux More than Mac OS X

Web resources about - [News] Musician Leaves Mac OS X to Embrace GNU/Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Musician - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Musicians can specialize in any musical style, and some musicians play in a variety of different styles. Examples of a musician's possible skills ...

Album review: Livin’ On A High Note by Mavis Staples help showcase talent of younger musicians
Mavis Staples takes on material written especially for her by the likes of younger generation of musicians including Ben Harper, Justin Vernon, ...

Musician sues Jay-Z’s Tidal and Google Play, says he was cheated of royalties
Online music streaming continues to be a messy, and litigious, business.

An 18-year-old Mormon musician who found fame on Instagram is taking over the fashion world
... Pyper America, is taking the industry and Instagram by storm, as well. The 18-year-old model is more than just that, though — she's a musician, ...

6 must-have iPhone and iPad accessories for musicians
iPhones and iPads have become more than just media-consumption devices in so many ways. From using an iPad as a virtual cookbook to using it ...

It's Not Just Kanye: Musicians Are Using Twitter Polls To Query Fans
Intentionally or not, Twitter has given artists a new way to crowdsource their creative decisions. When Twitter launched its new polling feature ...

Meet the Match.com For Musicians and Investors
Livamp came to see what the Stone Foxes’ publicist and I had realized: a marketplace should exist to make the investor/musician match-up a simple, ...

Paralyzed musician inspires
Paralyzed musician inspires

Post Grammy Mean Tweets Read By Musicians On Jimmy Kimmel Are Hilarious
... pic.twitter.com/gNU6xhAIoj — Us Weekly (@usweekly) February 16, 2016 US Weekly also thought Jimmy Kimmel’s mean tweet readings by musicians ...

Paramore's Hayley Williams Marries Musician Chad Gilbert!
A congrats is in order for Hayley Williams ! The 27-year-old Paramore singer wed her longtime love, New Found Glory guitarist Chad Gilbert , ...