[News] New GNU/Linux Audiocasts: TLLTS, Linux Outlaws #2

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

On Lørdag 20. mars 2010 08.29, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Crazy Linux Fans Are Messing up Departmental Store Computers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I had not heard of that term until I was
> | surprised to see, it even made to a Wikipedia
> | entry! From what I could figure out, PCjacking
> | is an art of messing up with departmental store
> | computers by quietly installing Linux on them to
> | promote Linux. This of-course is an unauthorized
> | install.
> `----
>
> http://techie-buzz.com/foss/crazy-linux-fans-messing-departmental-store-
computers.html

Ah. I RTFA and they do NOT install Linux on the PCs - they leave a live CD
in the drive and reboot.  No PCs were harmed in the process, but some people
got exposed to a better OS.

Sounds OK to me :-)
0
invalid24 (29)
3/20/2010 5:38:59 PM
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> The Linux Link Tech Show #345 3/10/10
>
> http://www.tllts.org/dl.php
>
> Linux Outlaws 141 - Decapitated by a Pardus CD
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>> This week on the show: Ubuntu’s “Buttongate”, will Novell be asset
>> stripped?, Mozilla is updating the MPL, Microsoft loosing a patent case
>> again, Simon Phipps new OSI director and much more as always…
> `----
>
> http://linuxoutlaws.com/podcast/141

Found this through the link you supplied, didn't know Novell was on the rocky
edges:

[quote]
Novell will be asset stripped
If Elliott gets its way
By Edward Berridge
Fri Mar 12 2010, 11:21

SOURCES AT the investment fund Elliot have confirmed that if it is successful
in its bid to take over Novell, the outfit will be asset stripped.

Its Netware networking-software unit will be flogged and the company will look
for a buyer for its SUSE Linux operation.
[/quote]

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1596204/novell-asset-stripped

I wasn't keeping up with the Novell affair and didn't know they were on the
"auction block" again.  What I find odd is that Sun is being bought out by
Oracle, which could spell the death knell to OpenOffice and related competitor
StarOffice, about the only practical competition to Microsoft Office.

Although I know that there are those who would like to see Novell go away, I
dislike it when another Linux distro which had considerable potential dies.

IMHO, doesn't it seem that certain worldwide factions would rather that
alternatives to the incumbent monopoly would die, because it grates against the
monopoly's profitableness.

The greatest loser is the consumer, because we have those who would rather rape
the consumer, squeezing every penny, dime, farthing, etc. they can.  It is not
about free and open competition, products gaining market acceptance because of
their merits.

OpenOffice is a full featured and worthy product, as seen by the many downloads
(over 100,000,000 last September).

Back to Novell, perhaps it could be considered another victim of embrace,
extend, extinguish by buyout?  Nonetheless, perhaps food for discussion.

--
HPT
0
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 02:38:53 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Back to Novell, perhaps it could be considered another victim of
> embrace, extend, extinguish by buyout?  Nonetheless, perhaps food for
> discussion.

Well, if it's any consolation, Novell rejected the Ellis offer, though I
don't know if that's the end of it. There are rumors that IBM wants to buy
Novell-- which I think might be a good fit.

--
RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 02:38:53 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> The Linux Link Tech Show #345 3/10/10
>>
>> http://www.tllts.org/dl.php
>>
>> Linux Outlaws 141 - Decapitated by a Pardus CD
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> This week on the show: Ubuntu’s “Buttongate”, will Novell be asset
>>> stripped?, Mozilla is updating the MPL, Microsoft loosing a patent
>>> case again, Simon Phipps new OSI director and much more as always…
>> `----
>>
>> http://linuxoutlaws.com/podcast/141
>
> Found this through the link you supplied, didn't know Novell was on the
> rocky edges:
>
> [quote]
> Novell will be asset stripped
> If Elliott gets its way
> By Edward Berridge
> Fri Mar 12 2010, 11:21
>
> SOURCES AT the investment fund Elliot have confirmed that if it is
> successful in its bid to take over Novell, the outfit will be asset
> stripped.
>
> Its Netware networking-software unit will be flogged and the company
> will look for a buyer for its SUSE Linux operation. [/quote]
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1596204/novell-asset-stripped
>
> I wasn't keeping up with the Novell affair and didn't know they were on
> the "auction block" again.  What I find odd is that Sun is being bought
> out by Oracle, which could spell the death knell to OpenOffice and
> related competitor StarOffice, about the only practical competition to
> Microsoft Office.

With Ellison's desire to hurt Microsoft, wouldn't he rather have a strong
competitor to Microsoft Office? And I wonder how much control Oracle can
bring to bear if OpenOffice forks?(snip)

--
Rick
0
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:32:57 +0000, RonB wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 02:38:53 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> Back to Novell, perhaps it could be considered another victim of
>> embrace, extend, extinguish by buyout?  Nonetheless, perhaps food for
>> discussion.
>
> Well, if it's any consolation, Novell rejected the Ellis offer, though I
> don't know if that's the end of it. There are rumors that IBM wants to
> buy Novell-- which I think might be a good fit.

OpenOffice vs Symphony in th same company? Makes me nervous.

--
Rick
0
Rick wrote:
> RonB wrote:
>> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>>
>>> Back to Novell, perhaps it could be considered another victim of
>>> embrace, extend, extinguish by buyout?  Nonetheless, perhaps food for
>>> discussion.
>>
>> Well, if it's any consolation, Novell rejected the Ellis offer, though I
>> don't know if that's the end of it. There are rumors that IBM wants to buy
>> Novell-- which I think might be a good fit.
>
> OpenOffice vs Symphony in th same company? Makes me nervous.

I used Lotus SmartSuite 97 in the late '90s.  It was a decent product.  I think
IBM would be a better fit than Microsoft.

--
YMMV, HPT
0
Rick wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1596204/novell-asset-stripped
>>
>> I wasn't keeping up with the Novell affair and didn't know they were on
>> the "auction block" again.  What I find odd is that Sun is being bought
>> out by Oracle, which could spell the death knell to OpenOffice and related
>> competitor StarOffice, about the only practical competition to Microsoft
>> Office.
>
> With Ellison's desire to hurt Microsoft, wouldn't he rather have a strong
> competitor to Microsoft Office? And I wonder how much control Oracle can
> bring to bear if OpenOffice forks? (snip)

I wasn't aware of such a desire.  Can't say if an OpenOffice fork would be good
or not.  I guess in a way the latest IBM Lotus Symphony is an OpenOffice fork.

--
HPT
0
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:15:11 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

> Rick wrote:
>> RonB wrote:

>>> Well, if it's any consolation, Novell rejected the Ellis offer, though I
>>> don't know if that's the end of it. There are rumors that IBM wants to buy
>>> Novell-- which I think might be a good fit.
>>
>> OpenOffice vs Symphony in th same company? Makes me nervous.
>
> I used Lotus SmartSuite 97 in the late '90s.  It was a decent product.  I think
> IBM would be a better fit than Microsoft.

Actually it was and in many ways still is an EXCELLENT product.
Funny thing was it came free with many printers, scanners etc at
the time.
I think I must have like 10 copies of the yellow cd it came on.

I couldn't believe it wasn't marketed better.
What a shame.

[News] New Video/Audiocasts About GNU/Linux and FOSS: Linux Outlaws, TLLTS, Linux Crazy

[News] New Audiocasts About GNU/Linux: Linux Basement and Linux Outlaws

[News] New GNU/Linux Audiocasts: TLLTS, Linux Outlaws

[News] New Audiocasts With GNU/Linux: Linux Outlaws, Linux Link Tech Show

[News] 3 New Audiocasts: Going Linux, Linux Outlaws, Linux Basement

[News] New Releases of GNU/Linux: Bio-Linux and Portable Linux

[News] Linux Foundation Teaches the Public About GNU/Linux, Linux 2.6.34 Shaping up

[News] New GNU/Linux Releases: CRUX 2.6, Hymera 20090910, Absolute Linux 13.0, Tiny Core 2.3.1

[News] New GNU/Linux Releases: PC/OS 2009v2, Greenie Linux (Slovakia)

[News] New User Special of Linux Outlaws and New Linux.com

[News] New Releases of GNU/Linux: SystemRescueCd 1.4, Tiny Core Linux 2.9

[News] New GNU/Linux Releases: Tiny Core Linux 2.7, Amahi 5.0

[News] New Issue of Linux Gazette, New Episodes of Tuxradar, Linux Outlaws

Web resources about - [News] New GNU/Linux Audiocasts: TLLTS, Linux Outlaws #2 - comp.os.linux.advocacy