[News] Nokia's and Ampro's Ubuntu GNU/Linux Adoption

Nokia embraces Ubuntu OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia’s Internet Tablet devices are set to get a port of the Linux operating
| system Ubuntu, following the release of the latest ‘Hardy Heron’ v8.04 of
| Ubuntu this week.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/linux/nokia-embraces-ubuntu-os--330238

Ampro Debuts Ubuntu-Based Embedded Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Ampro Computers Inc. has introduced Ampro Embedded Linux to support the
| company’s line of board-level embedded computers. Derived from Ubuntu
| packages, an increasingly popular form of Linux, Ampro Embedded Linux is a
| free, open-source, reduced-footprint operating system. It is enhanced with
| device-oriented features such as its default touch-enabled Hildon graphical
| user interface (GUI) and other selected technologies from the Ubuntu Mobile &
| Embedded (UME) project.
`----

http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?AD=1&ArticleID=18854

Recent:

Why Ubuntu on ARM Could be a Rich Seam

,----[ Quote ]
| ARM today announced that the total number of processors shipped by its
| Partners has exceeded ten billion.
|              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| [...]
|
| A Nokia-sponsored project is porting Ubuntu Linux to the ARM architecture.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-ubuntu-on-arm-could-be-rich-seam.html

Linux still top embedded OS

,----[ Quote ]
| In a new whitepaper on Linux in the embedded market, VDC researchers cite the
| following reasons for Linux's popularity:
|
|     * Licensing cost advantages
|     * Flexibility of source code access
|     * General familiarity
|     * Maturing ecosystem of applications and tools
|     * Growing developer experience with Linux as an embedded OS
`----

newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Man's Life's Work Centered Around GNU/Linux for Tomorrow's Generation

[News] Nokia's Linux Tablet Improved, OpenMoko on the Way, Google's Linux Phone Attracts Devs
OS upgrade leaks for Linux-based tablet ,----[ Quote ] | The hotly anticipated Maemo operating system upgrade for the Nokia N800 | Internet Tablet has leaked. Early reviewers are impressed with the upgrade's | faster performance and Mozilla-based Web browser. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7806233999.html OpenMoko prepping to push sales of Linux-based handset ,----[ Quote ] | OpenMoko, a Linux-based open source handset platform developer, is pushing | the development of Linux-based smartphone with its open source handset, the | Neo 1973, which may be available to the ma...

[News] Red Hat's Desktop GNU/Linux Coming This Month to Join Ubuntu's Growth
For 2008 media will create Red Hat-Ubuntu war ,----[ Quote ] | Here’s an easy prediction to make. In 2008 the media will gin up a “war” | between Red Hat and Ubuntu for “control” of Linux. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1848 Why fight? There's room for everyone. Related: Red Hat gets all charged up in Asia ,----[ Quote ] | The trend we're seeing is toward having different desktops for different | users. Linux's flexibility means that we see it on a variety of devices like | thin clients or the OLPC, for example. I'm expecting widespread deployment of | ...

[News] Microsoft's Linux 'Sellouts' Lose to Truly Free GNU/Linux
The World Series of Linux: Round 1 ,----[ Quote ] | But, clearly, Ubuntu shined. It has earned the right to play in the | championship round of The World Series of Linux. The next round will | determine its opponent, as the RPM Round pits SLED 10, Fedora 7 and PCLinuxOS | to compete to pick the best out of those distributions. `---- http://www.crn.com/software/204802194 Guess who lost here? Xandros and Linspire. Here is OpenSUSE losing: First Kubuntu Impressions ,----[ Quote ] | Well, seems like Kubuntu is the clear winner for professional users and also | for enthusiasts. For begi...

[News] Nokia's Linux-based N900 a "resounding success"; Dell's Linux Phone is Reviewed, Coming Soon

[News] Palm's and Nokia'a Linux Phones Another Sign of the Platform's Success?

[News] Microsoft's 'Future' is Linux's Yesterday
Parallel Computing`s Already Here ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft's Craig Mundie is right. Parallel computing is going to change | everything about computing, but his timing is off. Thanks to Linux, it's been | here for years. | | The future is today. | | [...] | | It's not just video though. Supercomputers are made up of MPP arrays of | hundred or even thousands of ordinary Intel or AMD chips running Linux. The | current top supercomputer, the IBM Blue Gene/L system at the Lawrence | Livermore Lab, can hit 478.2 teraflops (trillion calculations per second) | with its tens ...

[News] New Device Runs Nokia's Linux, Without Nokia's Dependence

[News] Review of Nokia's Linux Tablet, Jim Zemlin Explains Nokia's Moves

[News] Dell's New 'Eee Killer' Claimed to Be Running Ubuntu GNU/Linux

[News] [Linux] Another Company Chooses Linux; Oracle's 'Linux Family' Extends Too
Columbitech Taps SUSE Linux Enterprise From Novell to Help Retailers Reach PCI Compliance and Safeguard Customer Data ,----[ Quote ] | This offering will give retailers PCI compliance by securing all | wireless devices and providing secure wireless access to the | back-end systems. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070605005558&newsLang=en Momentum continues for Oracle ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle recently announced that momentum continues to build | around the Oracle Unbreakable Linux Support Program (which includes | supp...

[News] Nokia's Symbian Still a Mystery, Nokia's Linux Goes Further with Maemo 5 Preview

[News] It's All the Fault of GNU/Linux... Microsoft's Massive Layoffs

[News] Motorola's Older Linux Phones Live on, TomTom's Linux Devices Improve

[News] Does Microsoft's Intrusion into People's PCs Drive Them to GNU/Linux?
Windows, Please Leave Me Alone ,----[ Quote ] | So I have a simple solution to this, I went over to my laptop running linux | (Kubuntu) watched my video, and left XP behind. When Gusty Gibbon comes out | XP might be left permanently out of my life, along with any other windows | distribution. Don't think that I hate XP or think its a bad operating system, | but this kind of stuff I have no control over and don't feel like I should | spend my time on it. `---- http://navetz.com/view.php?id=74 Windows is spyware ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft has crossed the line. They have bee...

[News] Google's Android (Linux) Runs on Nokia's Internet Tablet
N810 Android, anyone? ,----[ Quote ] | A website has published instructions on how to install Google's Android Java | stack on real hardware with ARM926 and later cores, running Linux 2.6.23 and | later kernels. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5003932111.html Android on OMAP ,----[ Quote ] | This page collects information about and guides you through the installation | of Google's Android on TI's ARM based OMAP SoCs. | | [...] | | Android is a software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating | system, middleware and key applications. See Google...

[News] Great Year's Beginning and Year's End for GNU/Linux
What linux really needs in 2009 ,----[ Quote ] | Help spread the word, but remember don't preach. Grab a | sticker on your bag that announces to the world your | support of , Show off your Linux box to your mates and | amaze them with how beautiful things are, even offer them a | live CD so they too can experience Linux without deleting | their current installation.even blog about Linux, just | getting the name out there and making Linux material more | accessible to mainstream society. `---- http://aandborc.blogspot.com/2008/12/what-linux-really-needs.html 2008: A year of the Linux Dis...

[News] Nokia's MeeGo Uses Oracle's Linux File System

[News] Google's GNU/Linux Servers Nick Microsoft's Customers

[News] A User's Look at Dell's GNU/Linux Sub-notebook

[News] Dell's Linux Strategy is Working, with Ubuntu GNU/Linux
Dell's Desktop Linux Strategy: So Far, So Good ,----[ Quote ] | Dell insiders tell me customer reaction to the company's Ubuntu PCs, | introduced in June, has been good. `---- http://seekingalpha.com/article/47486-dell-s-desktop-linux-strategy-so-far-so-good 11 Reasons To Use Ubuntu ,----[ Quote ] | I went down to check out the local “Software Freedom Day” recently and was | rewarded for my effort with a test drive of the Feisty Fawn 7.04 operating | system from Ubuntu, an open source, “community developed [GNU/Linux] | operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops a...

It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator sitting his i...

[News] Linux's Own 'Dashboard' Leaps Ahead of Apple's Leopard (Not Even Released Yet)
Awn Hover effects ,----[ Quote ] | Awn has lost of cool new hover effects being created so I will demonstrate | them all here including the cpu monitor applet. | | The hover effects demonstrated in this video are: | | * Classic | * Fade | * Spotlight | * Zoom | * Squish | * 3d Turn `---- http://thelinuxmovement.blogspot.com/2007/09/awn-hover-effects.html Related: Avant Window Navigator Effects ,----[ Quote ] | The new advanced and cool effects of the great linux-dock by NJPatel... � `---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFhWNGtZKrg AWN 3D Turn Icon Effect Vi...

[News] IBM Strives to Turn Sun's/Oracle's UNIX to GNU/Linux

Web resources about - [News] Nokia's and Ampro's Ubuntu GNU/Linux Adoption - comp.os.linux.advocacy