[News] Nokia's Linux-based N900 a "resounding success"; Dell's Linux Phone is Reviewed, Coming Soon

Nokia N900 Review Roundup

,----[ Quote ]
| You only have to read a few reviews of the
| Nokia N900 to realise that it is a
| resounding success – people like the
| functionality, the open source nature of
| its OS, the memory, the possibilities for
| development, and the little features on it.
| Techradar disagreed with Nokia on one
| thing: they don’t believe that the Nokia
| N900 is a computer. Instead, they said,
| “it’s a smartphone and a very good one at
| that.” In addition, they were also
| impressed with the overall performance of
| the OS.
|
| Similarly, T3 were highly impressed with
| the overall functionality of the Nokia
| N900, saying it was “better than any Nokia
| handset we’ve seen in along time.”
|
| They added: “In terms of browsing and sheer
| multitasking capability, it’s also superior
| to other smartphone rivals.”
`----

http://noknok.tv/2009/11/20/nokia-n900-review-roundup/

Nokia Focuses on Linux-based Maemo for High-end Smartphones

,----[ Quote ]
| The talk of the town is Android. Nobody is
| talking about Symbian anymore. Symbian, of
| course, still holds majority (50 percent of
| global sales) of the mobile market share,
| but its slowly declining. Maybe that’s why
| Nokia, Symbian’s primary contributor, is
| trying to fight back - by dropping the
| mobile OS from its high-end phones.
`----

http://www.mobilewire.co.uk/19-11-2009-nokia-focuses-on-linux-based-maemo-for-high-end-smartphones.html

Maemo Edges Out Symbian in Nokia's N900 Smartphone

,----[ Quote ]
| Maemo is an open source platform based on
| Debian GNU/Linux. It draws most of its GUI
| (graphical user interface), frameworks and
| libraries from the GNOME project. Maemo
| uses the Matchbox window manager and the
| GTK-based Hildon as its GUI and application
| framework.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/68684.html?wlc=1258736464

Nokia won't demote Symbian, but Linux OSs rule in north America

,----[ Quote ]
| While Symbian still rules in Europe and
| Japan, the US smartphone market is
| increasingly crazy for Linux, and this is
| likely to prompt Nokia - hopeful of ending
| its woeful run of poor performance in north
| America in 2010 - to give its Linux-based
| Maemo platform a bigger role in its
| strategy from next year. However,
| persistent speculation that Nokia is making
| an either/or decision and will actually
| back away from Symbian remains several
| leaps too far, and the firm came out with
| an official denial that it had any plans to
| demote Symbian from its position as lead
| smartphone OS.
`----

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/2009/11/19/nokia-wont-demote-symbian-linux-oss-rule-north-america.htm

Hands on With the Dell Mini 3i Smartphone

,----[ Quote ]
| The smartphone is one of the first Ophones
| in the world, a brand promoted by China
| Mobile to make sure consumers know it uses
| the Linux-based Open Mobile System (OMS)
| developed by the company. OMS is very
| similar to Android, the reason Dell will
| release the handset elsewhere with Google's
| popular mobile phone OS inside.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/182590/hands_on_with_the_dell_mini_3i_smartphone.html

Recent:

Hands On: Nokia N900 - A Good Cheap Option?

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia's Linux-based N900 looks to be shaping
| up as the comapny's real competition in the
| next generation of smartphones - and it seems
| like it may be going for the low-price slot.
`----

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/product/hands-on--nokia-n900---a-good-cheap-option--2368

Nokia N900 priced for 16th November launch

,----[ Quote ]
| The Nokia N900 looks like being the QWERTY
| success story of the season, as anticipation
| for this Maemo 5 handset seems to be almost at
| fever pitch. While initially intended for an
| October launch, it looks like the Nokia N900
| will be shipping on the 16th November and
| what’s more, it’ll be cheaper than expected.
| Find out about the Nokia N900 being priced for
| 16th November launch after the jump..
`----

http://experts.thelink.co.uk/2009/11/06/nokia-n900-priced-for-16th-november-launch/

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Nokia N900 Review Roundup
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | You only have to read a few reviews of the
> | Nokia N900 to realise that it is a
> | resounding success – people like the
> | functionality, the open source nature of
> | its OS, the memory, the possibilities for
> | development, and the little features on it.
> | Techradar disagreed with Nokia on one
> | thing: they don’t believe that the Nokia
> | N900 is a computer. Instead, they said,
> | “it’s a smartphone and a very good one at
> | that.” In addition, they were also
> | impressed with the overall performance of
> | the OS.
> |
> | Similarly, T3 were highly impressed with
> | the overall functionality of the Nokia
> | N900, saying it was “better than any Nokia
> | handset we’ve seen in along time.”
> |
> | They added: “In terms of browsing and sheer
> | multitasking capability, it’s also superior
> | to other smartphone rivals.”
> `----
>
> http://noknok.tv/2009/11/20/nokia-n900-review-roundup/

Thats why a lot of phone developer dummies with competing
OSes were moaning Linux was not ready for the smart phones?

Sheesh!

Whenever someone moans Linux is not ready for x
and repeats it like it was their mantra for the
day, it means it is ready and you are missing the
boat if you didn't check on it.

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>|Techradar disagreed with Nokia on one thing:
>|they don=92t believe that the Nokia N900 is a computer.

I wonder how many standard Linux apps in the N900 repository
it will take to change their minds.
0
jeffm_ (1319)
11/21/2009 3:55:33 PM

0
newsgroups3 (79677)
11/22/2009 1:50:54 AM

____/ 7 on Saturday 21 Nov 2009 08:18 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Nokia N900 Review Roundup
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | You only have to read a few reviews of the
>> | Nokia N900 to realise that it is a
>> | resounding success – people like the
>> | functionality, the open source nature of
>> | its OS, the memory, the possibilities for
>> | development, and the little features on it.
>> | Techradar disagreed with Nokia on one
>> | thing: they don’t believe that the Nokia
>> | N900 is a computer. Instead, they said,
>> | “it’s a smartphone and a very good one at
>> | that.” In addition, they were also
>> | impressed with the overall performance of
>> | the OS.
>> |
>> | Similarly, T3 were highly impressed with
>> | the overall functionality of the Nokia
>> | N900, saying it was “better than any Nokia
>> | handset we’ve seen in along time.”
>> |
>> | They added: “In terms of browsing and sheer
>> | multitasking capability, it’s also superior
>> | to other smartphone rivals.”
>> `----
>>
>> http://noknok.tv/2009/11/20/nokia-n900-review-roundup/
>

> Thats why a lot of phone developer dummies with competing
> OSes were moaning Linux was not ready for the smart phones?
>
> Sheesh!
>
> Whenever someone moans Linux is not ready for x
> and repeats it like it was their mantra for the
> day, it means it is ready and you are missing the
> boat if you didn't check on it.

Speaking of x, Maemo can do SSH with x forwarding (both directions), AFAIK.
It's like a second computer. You can probably run your desktop applications
remotely from your phone.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | #FFFFFFF4 ADD &R1, "9999999", &BankAccount
roy      pts/0        :0               Tue Nov 17 02:37   still logged in

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Palm's and Nokia'a Linux Phones Another Sign of the Platform's Success?

[News] "Linux is the 'Perfect Match' for India's Requirement"
Delhi VAR Evolves Training Capsule for Linux Usage ,----[ Quote ] | He said Linux is the 'perfect match' for India's requirement and hastened to | add that having developed the products and services, the challenge now is to | take it to growing number of users and growing the incoming revenue. `---- http://www.channeltimes.com/India/News/Delhi_VAR_Evolves_Training_Capsule_for_Linux_Usage/551-83436-741.html http://tinyurl.com/3x9972 Related: Free software made mandatory: IT practicals of SSLC Exam ,----[ Quote ] | The Director of Public Instruction (DPI) has issued orders...

Spamowitz's bullshit on censorious Dietrich's site: "Why Advocacy of Linux Must Not Tolerate Censorship"
http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/03/why-advocacy-of-linux-must-not-tolerate.html First off, the owner of this site - Dietrich Schmitz - is a censorious chump who bans people left and right from his Google+ site. Who does he think he's fooling by running such an article? A thousand to one if you post a dissenting comment /anywhere/ on www.linuxadvocates.com., on any article, it will be removed. And the author, Dr. Roy Spamowitz, is a hypocrite fool as well. He bemoans the use of the terms 'trolls' and 'shills', both of which are terms he used hundreds ...

[News] [Rival] "Linux" a Forbidden Word After Microsoft's "Jihad" Against It (Bill Gates' Words)

[News] [Linux] Microsoft's Anti-Linux Tactics Named "Scareware"
From vapourware to scareware, Microsoft keeps innovating ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft talks a lot about innovation. It innovated the Xbox, several | years after everyone else; it innovated the Zune, several years after | everyone else; it innovated the GUI, several years after Apple (okay, | and Xerox); it innovated Hotmail ... oh, alright, it bought Hotmail. | Bill Gates famously missed the internet revolution and then innovated | the web browser, several years after Netscape. | | [...] | | In the meantime, though, the company that brought us vapourware has | innovated yet another new produc...

[News] Dell's New "Tough" Sub-notebooks Comes With GNU/Linux as Option

[News] Motorola's Older Linux Phones Live on, TomTom's Linux Devices Improve

[News] ASUS Sub-notebooks to Run GNU/Linux (Because "It's Better with Linux")

[News] Interview with the Linux Foundation's New CTO -- "Linux is Huge" (and Growing)
Linux Foundation CTO Markus Rex: Linux 'Now an Accepted Choice' ,----[ Quote ] | Linux is huge, and there are new things coming up that you have to figure out | what to do, whether it's concerning the standard or if it's a good thing for | Linux moving forward. Somehow I have the feeling I will not be bored. `---- http://www.technewsworld.com/story/6U6B8dL7OU52eJ/Linux-Foundation-CTO-Markus-Rex-Linux-Now-an-Accepted-Choice.xhtml Linux is still moving up, up, up. http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1767 Related: Linux Foundation names new CTO ,----[ Quote ] | P...

[News] Nokia's Smartest Phones and Google's Phones Run Linux and Grow

[News] A Look Back at 'Ballmer Mini': "There's No Free Lunch...Or Free Linux"
Darl McBride: SCO's Prophet and Savior ,----[ Quote ] | OK, all sarcasm aside, this man was, and is, the ultimate moron. My words | can't prove it, but His can: | | I believe that in the future, today's GPL [2003] will not survive. | | [...] `---- http://benanzo.blogspot.com/2007/07/darl-mcbride-scos-prophet-and-savior.html Still growing strong: http://futurist.se/gldt/gldt76.png And SCO is down: http://www.linuxstolescocode.com/ Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused: > Darl McBride: SCO's Prophet and Saviour > > ,----[ Quote ] >| ...

[News] Review of Nokia's Linux Tablet, Jim Zemlin Explains Nokia's Moves

[News] Google's Impact on GNU/Linux Desktop Adoption and "2011 as the Year of Linux"

[News] New Reviews of Nokia's Linux Phone, Teleca Turns Focus to Linux

IT rejects "Linux for Linux's Sake"!
http://management.silicon.com/itdirector/0,39024673,39129889,00.htm Thumbs-down for 'irrelevant' Linux and grid, say manufacturers April 28 2005 by Jo Best Most of the technologies that won't be taking a slice of manufacturers IT budgets, however, are those creating most buzz in the industry - Linux, grid and utility computing. Datamonitor found that 90 per cent of IT execs said grid was of no relevance anywhere in their product life cycles and 80 per cent say that utility computing is of no use in resource planning or supply chain execution. Clifford said the lack of inte...

[News] [Linux] Another Company Chooses Linux; Oracle's 'Linux Family' Extends Too
Columbitech Taps SUSE Linux Enterprise From Novell to Help Retailers Reach PCI Compliance and Safeguard Customer Data ,----[ Quote ] | This offering will give retailers PCI compliance by securing all | wireless devices and providing secure wireless access to the | back-end systems. `---- http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070605005558&newsLang=en Momentum continues for Oracle ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle recently announced that momentum continues to build | around the Oracle Unbreakable Linux Support Program (which includes | supp...

[News] Vista is "Linux's Best Friend", People Ask for Vista PCs to Become Linux
Tech: Vista the best thing to happen to the PC industry. ,----[ Quote ] | Any one of a number of Linux distributions will run on your existing PCs | without cramping overhead; OpenOffice.Org will handle all of your document | requirements including presentations and Firefox (and several other browsers) | handle your browsing. They work, they are free of charge and our own | experience is that once users have spent a couple of days with them, they | don't want to go back to Windows or MS Office. Indeed, people that leave our | own company ask if we can burn a set of disks for them to...

OEM's convinced
http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/rob/?p=221 <quote> Look at what is surging in the market against Windows Vista and on top of Windows XP; it is the MacOS. Linux isn't moving very well. In fact, in discussions with the OEMs, they are still convinced that most of their Linux-based systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux. </quote> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com ** Micoshaft fraudster Ezekiel wrote on behalf of half wits from micoshaft corporation: > Linux-based systems are probably running pirated Windows XP, not Linux. Most Linux ...

Linux shitware: "it's GREAT, it's brilliant... when it works" LMFAO!!!
"PCLinux is brilliant and definitly one of if not the top Linux distro, but only when its actually working." http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=39498.0 "I have loaded and reloaded and reloaded. Mepis works GREAT! However, it freezes every morning when I get back on it." http://mepislovers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10675&highlight=freezes "Never give up on openSUSE!!!!!!!!! It is frustrating, but gets better when the system actually works." http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=41708&hl= LMFAO!!! ...

[News] Splashtop's Role as Linux Advocacy/Marketing Tool, Linux-based EeePC 900 Review

[News] Palm's 'Nova Linux' in the Making, Archos Made Linux-based Flexible
Palm Codenames Linux-Based Palm OS II Nova ,----[ Quote ] | Now comes word from Palm Infocenter that the PDA pioneer not only has yet | another, third, smartphone in the works, but that that device is being used | to test its long-delayed Linux-based follow up to the Palm OS, which now has | an internal codename of its own. `---- http://www.smartphonetoday.com/articles/2008/1/2008-1-11-Palm-Codenames-Linux.html Archos 605 WiFi Linux hack ,----[ Quote ] | Personally, I think the Archos 605 WiFi is a cool enough gadget on its own, | but there's always something to be said for hack...

Web resources about - [News] Nokia's Linux-based N900 a "resounding success"; Dell's Linux Phone is Reviewed, Coming Soon - comp.os.linux.advocacy