[News] Novell's Linux and Microsoft's Hidden Agenda

Inside the Microsoft-Novell deal

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft is emerging as the common denominator in multiple
| strategies for identity management, which is not completely altruistic
| and could have strategic benefits by putting it in a stronger position
| at the hub of identity management across several providers' product
| lines," Goulde says.
|
| [...]
|
| Interestingly, in the case of the Sun deal, the software giant was
| also happy to fork out significant amounts of money to seal the
| pact. Microsoft paid Sun $700m upfront to resolve anti-trust
| issues, a further $900m to lay various patent matters to rest and
| $350m in royalties. Sun also agreed to pay Microsoft royalties on
| an ongoing basis for including some of its technology in its servers.
|
| All of this means, ironically, that Microsoft has now paid out
| large sums to help out two competitors at times in their lives
| when an injection of cash certainly hasn't gone amiss.
`----

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/features/0,1000002000,39286896,00.htm?r=1

Related:

9.6 Years: On Beyond Novell

,----[ Quote ]
| March 24th, 2007 was my final day working at Novell. Leaving will be
| anything but easy.
`----

http://reverendted.wordpress.com/2007/04/26/96-years-on-beyond-novell/

Is Novell Poised for a Turnaround? It Doesn't Look Like It

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this the same Novell that in every quarter for more than a year
| either missed analysts' targets or made disappointing forecasts? Is
| this the same Novell where less than 10 percent of annual revenue
| is actually open source-related? Is this the same Novell that upset
| the open source community by signing away its soul to Microsoft?
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070427/33755_id.html?.v=1
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

> Inside the Microsoft-Novell deal
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "Microsoft is emerging as the common denominator in multiple
> | strategies for identity management, which is not completely altruistic
> | and could have strategic benefits by putting it in a stronger position
> | at the hub of identity management across several providers' product
> | lines," Goulde says.

"Hovsepian's aim of starting a dialogue was aided, however, by some of
Microsoft's major financial services customers making it clear that they
were going to use Linux whether the vendor liked it or not."

Maybe *this* is what the Microvell pact was *really* about, all along:

"An InfoCard selector for OS X and Linux"
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=4719

Then of course there's the Open Document scam (We'll help you convert to
ODF *if* you need to, but only if you primarily use MS Office).

--
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| I found [Vista] to be a dangerously unstable operating system,
| which has caused me to lose data ... unfortunately this product
| is unfit for any user. - [H]ardOCP, <http://tinyurl.com/3bpfs2>
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.20-1.2312.fc5
 03:57:36 up 14 days,  1:29,  4 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.10, 0.19
0
spam95 (5695)
5/1/2007 2:58:53 AM
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 01 May 2007 03:58 \__

>> Inside the Microsoft-Novell deal
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "Microsoft is emerging as the common denominator in multiple
>> | strategies for identity management, which is not completely altruistic
>> | and could have strategic benefits by putting it in a stronger position
>> | at the hub of identity management across several providers' product
>> | lines," Goulde says.
>
> "Hovsepian's aim of starting a dialogue was aided, however, by some of
> Microsoft's major financial services customers making it clear that they
> were going to use Linux whether the vendor liked it or not."
>
> Maybe *this* is what the Microvell pact was *really* about, all along:
>
> "An InfoCard selector for OS X and Linux"
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=4719
>
> Then of course there's the Open Document scam (We'll help you convert to
> ODF *if* you need to, but only if you primarily use MS Office).

Mr. Hovsepian may have received personal incentives.

http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/31/some-interesting-financial-moves-by-novell/

This helps Microsoft promote OOXML.

http://boycottnovell.com/category/open-xml/

It also hurts Samba.

http://boycottnovell.com/category/samba/

It true, it's a win-win-win situation for Microsoft (and Ron).

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Watch your step, that soapbox is very slippery
http://Schestowitz.com  |  RHAT GNU/Linux   �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
         run-level 5  Apr 28 15:45                   last=S
newsgroups3 (79677)