[News] Ogg as a de Facto Standard Gets Better Chances with TinyOgg

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

0
Reply Roy 1/6/2010 3:35:34 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.linux.advocacy 118653 articles. 13 followers. Post

[News] Free Software Foundation Promotes Ogg as de Facto Standard

[News] De facto Standards (Windows) Versus Better Usability (Linux)
On The Usability Of Paper Clips ,----[ Quote ] | Linux with KDE is a lot like the dvorak keyboard layout -- it is | arguably better and certainly no worse but not the "standard" | so few people use it. The network effect keeps KDE from becoming | popular, not the opposition. If KDE had gained widespread popularity | first and become the standard, the situation would be reversed and | MS Windows might not be able to displace it. What advantage would | MS offer over the standard? | | Let me repeat that: if the situations were reversed and Linux/KDE | had 90% of the PC market, what co...

[News] Defense of Ogg as de Facto Video Standard, "OpenLike" Required

[News] VP8 Gets Closer to Becoming de Facto Standard, Gains Free/Open Source Status

[News] Ogg as a Standard May Get Its Way in YouTube

[News] Free Software Gets Better Chances at Healthcare

[News] Free Software to Get Better Chances in the UK After Party Changeover

[News] GNU/Linux Has Become de Facto Standard for Television STBs
Linux is de facto OS for TV set-top boxes ,----[ Quote ] | "The major chipset manufacturers are introducing new Linux platforms | almost monthly," said Ken Helps, managing director of Ocean Blue Software. | | The attraction is that the Linux operating system will support | advanced functions without requiring a license fee. `---- http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6426925&partner=eb&spacedesc=news http://tinyurl.com/2zofx9 Related: Linux STB used in award-winning eldercare product ,----[ Quote ] | Dutch telecom operator and Internet service pro...

[News] With Linux UMPCs, Windows Loses 'De Facto' Standard Status

[News] De Facto Standards for HTML5 Likely to Include WebM (Now GPL Compatible)

[News] OOXML is Proprietary Software; OpenOffice.org Might Make ODF De Facto Standard

[News] Flash to Get a Challenge from Free and Open Standards (HTML and Ogg), RoR 2.0 Released
Mozilla, Opera look to make video on the Web easier ,----[ Quote ] | Firefox and Opera will support a new HTML tag specifically for embedding | video in Web pages. As long as the browsers support a video's specific codec, | or encoding method, the browsers will then be able to play the video without | launching third-party enabling software, said Chris Double, a Mozilla | engineer. Mozilla and Opera are also working to support the royalty-free | video codec Ogg Theora. `---- http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071207/tc_infoworld/93898 Ruby on Rails 2.0 released for Web apps ...

[News] KDE4 Gets Better Vi Than Vi, Better Firefox

[News] Ubuntu Linux Gets Good Review, Keeps Getting Better
Ubuntu Linux Just Keeps Getting Better ,----[ Quote ] | Overall, I had a great experience with Ubuntu. I found the | desktop environment comfortable and easy to use. The application | selection was quite good and I had the option to add plenty of | other applications if I wanted to. The installer worked well, and | I even got to try Ubuntu via the Live CD without actually installing | a thing. `---- http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1999327,00.asp ...

[News] Win for Standards With HTML5 and Ogg, Microsoft Makes Mockery of Standards

[News] KDE 4 Gets Better and Better, Vista "Winblobs"
Kepas - KDE Easy Publish and Share ,----[ Quote ] | Congratulations to Tom Patzig, currently serving in the openSUSE KDE Team, | for the first release of Kepas: "Kepas is a KDE4 file transfer tool. It | discovers your local LAN for buddies (KDNSSD) and lets you transfer files or | Klipper entries from a tray icon or via drag'n'drop with the Kepas plasmoid." | Please give him much feedback what to improve until 1.0! `---- http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3221 Plasma now has some more front-end tools (from Aaron Seigo). 4.1 is shaping up nicely. My Recent Encounte...

[News] Slackware Gets Better Package Management and Mandriva Gets Net Monitor Back

[News] Linux Docks and Eye Candy Get 3D, Get Better Than Apple's
So now that we have some depth... [in AWN] ,----[ Quote ] | Yes, that's Awn svn, in all its 3D and reflective glory :-). I'd like to say | a huge thanks to haytjes & nablaa from the forums, who managed to make their | patches work together to create this effect. There are also a buch of other | fixes in svn, so its well worth the upgrade. `---- http://njpatel.blogspot.com/2007/07/so-now-that-we-have-some-depth.html Video on page: Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Fbk52Mk1w ...

[News] Sony Playstation 3 Gets Better, Gets Much More Affordable (While Microsoft Goes the Other Way)
New PlayStation 3 goes on sale in Aug. ,----[ Quote ] | Sony Corp. announced a revised PlayStation 3 console Monday with a bigger | hard drive for storing downloaded content such as video games and | high-definition movies. `---- http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070709/ap_on_bi_ge/sony_pricing Sony cuts price on PlayStation 3 by $100 ,----[ Quote ] | Sony also hopes the PS3 will win some converts following Microsoft's | admission last week that the failure rate of its Xbox 360 console | had been unacceptably high, forcing it to book $1 billion in repair | costs. `---- http://news.ya...

[News] Linux-based Nokia Tablet Gets a High Score, Another Linux PDA Gets Better
Nokia impresses with latest Internet Tablet ,----[ Quote ] | What it is: This is a very small, thin and portable handheld device with a | large color touchscreen (800 by 480 pixels) and the ability to perform Web | browsing, play multimedia (music, photos and videos), read e-mails and access | other applications (games, calculator, etc.). | | [...] | | Grade: 4 stars (out of five) `---- http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2007/110707-cool-tools.html Linux IM pad beefs up, invites hacking ,----[ Quote ] | Zipit Wireless has updated its Linux-based, WiFi-connected instant messagin...

[News] PostgreSQL Claims to be Getting Better
PostgreSQL 8.3 Features To Be Available After Labor Day ,----[ Quote ] | Josh Berkus, a PostgreSQL developer who recently conducted a benchmark of | PostgreSQL vs. Oracle for Sun Microsystems, said bit-mapped indexes intended | for this release will be in a future release. `---- http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201803375 Related: EnterpriseDB releases PostgreSQL distribution ,----[ Quote ] | Jay Lyman, an analyst with The 451 Group, said the improved packaging and | 10-minute installation time EnterpriseDB is claiming are impressive. "Still, | ...

[News] Get Ogg
Get Ogg/Vorbis/Theora ,----[ Snippet ] | Why are patents on other file formats allowed? Isn't that | anti-competitive? | | It is anti-competitive, and it shouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, it | is allowed in most places except the EU. | | Why are government-funded broadcasting corporations allowed to exclude | Free Software users? | | No one knows. They shouldn't be allowed to... `---- http://www.getogg.org/aboutogg.shtml Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Get Ogg/Vorbis/Theora > > ,----[ Snippet ] > | Why are patents on other file formats allowed? Isn't that > | ...

Linux To Become A De Facto Standard
Linux To Become A De Facto Standard http://www.it-analysis.com/article.php?articleid=11054 The momentum is building and Linux is set to become the standard OS for hardware virtualisation in large networks. Other OSes may eventually have to impersonate the characteristics of Linux or move aside. ( mmm... i can just see it now, hordes of m$0.00ft engineers trying to write a Linux virtulization layer for losedos1903. sort of like a reverse WINE ). -- ! On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:43:51 +0000, monkey wrote: > Linux To Become A De Facto Standard > > http://www.it-analysis.com/a...

[News] Why Ogg is Better and Apple is Poison in the W3C