[News] On the Web, No Free Software Would Mean Problems

0
Roy
3/18/2010 1:19:42 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 120724 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

[News] More Good News for Linux-based Handset Devices
Esmertec And Yuhua TelTech Set New Benchmark With 1-stop Solution For Linux-Based Mobile Devices ,----[ Quote ] | Esmertec announced that Yuhua TelTech, a Chinese Independent Design | House (IDH) for mobile devices, has chosen Esmertec's 1-stop solution | for its Linux-based platform for mobile devices and smart phones. The | platform will be shipped on Linux-based handset devices for the | European and Chinese market at the end of December 2006. `---- http://linux.sys-con.com/read/310276_p.htm Linux is becoming big in China's mobile industry. It is disruptive enough to have had Bal...

Re: Mean
You've apparently used Mean without (or before) loading the package that contains it. It's in the System context in 5.0.1, but in earlier versions, you have to load a package such as Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics`. Look up Mean in Help, and you can find out which package to load, and how. Something like... <<Statistics`DescriptiveStatistics` or Needs["Statistics`"] The latter is simplest, especially if you put it in your Init.m file. It means you never have to manually load a Statistics package. Bobby per.ronne@doesnt.work.spam.filter.invalid w...

[News] [Rival] More Microsoft Lawsuits, Antitrust

[News] Zenwalk Linux Pleases Reviewer
Zenwalk 4.8 Review ,----[ Quote ] | I am just in love with xfce based distributions; they are fast, simple and | elegant and Zenwalk is no exception. It has a really good control center and | out-of-box multimedia support. `---- http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/11/zenwalk-48-review.html Related: Releases : Zenwalk 4.8 is ready ,----[ Quote ] | The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce the Zenwalk 4.8 release. | | After several release-candidates, it seems that we are ready for a very | stable release. Overall, testers have found Zenwalk 4.8 the fastest version | ever.   `---- ...

[News] Macs are Great... Linux Boxes
Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX ,----[ Quote ] | An East German company will soon begin selling an IP-PBX setup based | on a Mac Mini running Linux. 4S Newcom's iBlue package comes with an | iPod Shuffle that acts as a boot device for the Mac Mini, plus five | Linux-based VoIP phones. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8680369796.html Linus argues that while the hardware/box looks attractive, it is actually a PITA to work with (its firmware). On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:55:01 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX > > ,----[ Quote ] >| An...

News about SAS
Dear SAS Users, The user acceptance testing period has been completed without any problems reported. Please make sure you do not leave any SAS processes running overnight or scheduled to be run overnight as Darin will be switching us to the new machine tonight or early tomorrow morning. This will be transparent, your usual sas8 and sas6 command will now run on the new machine. If you should get a message asking to validate the 'host' abraham .... just say 'yes'! Happy SAS'ing on our smaller, faster machine.... I will be on vacation tomorrow, please let the help desk kno...

Installation problems with IRIX 6.5.24
Hi, I am trying to upgrade my O2 system which is 6.5.15m to 6.5.24. The software manager reads all the 5 cd's and when it lists out the upgrades, it shows up conflicts saying that the "eoe.sw.base" is not existing in the 5cd's...and hence doesnt upgrade the system... does anyone have an idea, if the upgrade for "eoe.sw.base" is present in the 6.5.24 cd's....or do i have to get the earlier cd's for doing this upgrade. many thanks in advance, purna. Le Fri, 28 May 2004 18:19:37 -0700, kauphy a �crit�: > does anyone have an idea, if the upgrade for ...

[News] IBM Thinkpads Sold with SUSE Linux, Full Support Included
This relates to Lenovo's recent annoncement. ThinkPad--now with Suse Linux ,----[ Quote ] | In addition, Lenovo will provide Linux support for the laptop, | including drivers and its ThinkVantage technologies found on ThinkPad | loaded with Microsoft's Windows operating system, he said. `---- http://news.com.com/2100-1005_3-6105543.html?part=rss&tag=6105543&subj=news ...

[News] AlwaysOn 100 Innovators Choose MySQL
MySQL Used By Majority Of "AlwaysOn 100" Innovators ,----[ Quote ] | It is no coincidence that the majority of these "Hot 100" start-ups are | using the MySQL open source database to power their IT infrastructure, | Web sites and products. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=26506&hilite= ...

Free Spreadsheet ?
I'm having difficulty finding a free spreadsheet for the Palm. I'm not looking for anything fancy or advanced, but a simple spreadsheet software that's do common things. Any suggestions? *********************************** FROM BERNARD, of FRANCE : Hi, I am also very interested by the same subject. I've faund MINICALC, but i need key after 30 days. If anybody has one key of Minicalc.....a very good product at least. regards "Arctic Wolf" <SpamShield-ArcticWolf@mail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:bo0m7q$164amr$1@ID-184215.news....

[News] Nimblex GNU/Linux Customised for Users via the Web

Re: DECnet positively in the news #2
Bob Koehler <koehler@EISNER.NOSPAM.ENCOMPASSERVE.ORG> writes ... >[...] > > You may already be aware of this, but DECnet is available on Linux - > > http://linux-decnet.sourceforge.net/index.html > > DECnet is available on just about everything. I can't remember the > last time I had a system that I couldn't get Phase IV for. (Maybe > it was my DECSYSTEM 20's before Phase IV shipped?) I have some consolation for those not as fortunate as Mr. Koehler (e.g. not as well-funded, or simply lacking the time to install DECnet, or even using so...

[VERY ot] WEB sources of middle school MATH word problems
Why post here? 1. If you weren't good at restating and solving you wouldn't be here ;) 2. Many are parent/grand-parent/.... 3. I'm an >60 bachelor needing help whose mother threatened him with "kids JUST like him" :) I'm attempting to tutor a 15 yro ADHD male who has TOO GOOD A MEMORY. [ He remembers _answers_ teacher got when solving homework for class. He _DOES NOT_ remember process. ] I've done some *PRELIMINARY* Google searches. [ And just in case someone else is going in this direction, I like http://mathforum.org/d...

[News] When You Use Microsoft Windows, You Share Your Desktop with Feds
German government sees itself in good company with online searches ,----[ Quote ] | The spyware then sent information on all internet connections and websites | visited to the FBI, who then arrested the pupil. However, in contrast to the | planned procedure in Germany, CIPAV does not transfer the content of | communications or files. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94988/from/rss09 Related: FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware ,----[ Quote ] | There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we | reported earlier this we...

Have you heard the GOOD NEWS?
http://www3.boxke.net << click link for the good news google_groups_usa@yahoo.com wrote: > <snip> << click link for the good news Someone has created a DWIM compiler? [clicks link] Bill, never mind. -- http://billpg.me.uk/ usenet(at)billpg(dot)me(dot)uk ...

Comp.software-eng mini-FAQ (weekly) #76
Last-Modified: 29 Feb 2000 Archive-name: software-eng/mini Welcome to comp.software-eng, a newsgroup for discussion of software engineering and related topics. This mini-FAQ is posted weekly, as a reminder of where to find the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) postings, which appear about every four weeks. The information in the FAQs and the comp.software-eng archives is available through the World-Wide Web at <URL:http://www.cs.queensu.ca/FAQs/SE/> and also <URL:http://www.cs.queensu.ca/Software-Engineering/> Everything visible through the Web is also available via FTP; the ab...

[News] [Linux] Novell Answers Tough Questions on Microsoft IP
Novell sheds (a little) more light on its patent access deal ,----[ Quote ] | Q. How does Microsoft promising not sue Novell customers gives | Novell engineers sanctioned access to Microsoft code? | | [...] | | In fact, I would suggest that the answer to the first question makes it | clear that the patent access granted by the technical collaboration | agreement and the patent covenant not to sue customers are completely | unrelated. | | It certainly appears to be at odds with Steinman's earlier statement: "the | intellectual property agreement provided a foundation for the | in...

pdfcrypt problem
Hi all, I have upgraded my TeX + friends installation and, as always, a few problems occured. One of them is this: I cannot use use pdfcrypt anymore. Now I get the error message ! Package pdfcrypt Error: PDF encryption is not supported with this pdfTeX. The pdfTeX that I use now is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.11a-2.1. Is there any way around this problem, other that downgrading the pdfTeX version? Best regards, Jose Carlos Santos Jose Carlos Santos wrote: > I have upgraded my TeX + friends installation and, as always, a few > problems occured. One of them is this: I cannot use ...

LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceding 09-10-07
In today's digest, we have: * Linux Myths Get Broken and Windows Realities Revealed * Novell Gets Greedy (Wants OpenOffice.org for Itself) * [Rival] Resource Hogs and Faulty Computers from Proprietary Vendors * [Rival] Bringing Windows 'Reliability' to People's Health Verdicts * Video: xwinwrap Does Animated Backgrounds in Linux * IBM Chooses Linux in New Google Collaboration * Big New Release for Granular Linux (Granular FunWorks 2007) * Open Source Approach Shows Its Advantage; Radiohead Takes the Open Route * [Rival] The Rob Enderle Bozo Gets ...

Python-URL!
QOTW: "I still want to keep compile time type checking to make sure I don't make any mistakes." "Sounds like you want two wives, but I'm pretty sure polygamy gets a checkbox in the naughty category on Santa's list" -- George Jempty (commenting on "Dear Open Source Santa," by Paul Browne) http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2006/12/dear_open_source_santa.html#comment-384244 "But if you care to give it a closer look, you may understand that Python's main advantage is not seizable by feature and performance charts." -- Soni ...

OCR Software?
I'm going to be writing my Master's thesis this spring, and this is going to involve a *lot* of working with text from books, papers, etc. that doesn't come in any kind of electronic form. It occurred to me that it might be useful to invest in a scanner and some OCR software provided that A) good OCR software exists, and B) it isn't prohibitively expensive. It's been several years since I looked at what was available (we were all still using OS 9 at the time, as I recall), and none of it was very good. Hopefully the state of things has improved. Does anyone have ...

[News] The MAFIAA and Jammie Thomas Unable to Settle

Where to store image files in Java web app
I have a personal web site that I use to view family pictures and such. I have a database that stores the file name and I keep all of the images in a sub-directory under WEB-INF so that they are not directly accessible. I then use a servlet to check for a valid login and forward the request to the WEB-INF directory. I.E. Images stored in WEB-INF/private User requests /myapp/image/fileabc.jpg Servlet mapped to 'image' checks for valid login, then forwards request to WEB-INF/private/fileabc.jpg This works okay, but I have 2 problems with this solution. 1) I am storing data in WEB-INF...

[News] Open Source Impact in Networking
Getting Over the Love-Hate Dynamic With Open Standards ,----[ Quote ] | While the number of companies installing all-SIP or all-open source | networks continues to grow, it's clear that the overall market | has not gotten over this love-hate relationship with open standards. `---- http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55830.html Still looking for the lockin while peers and customers prefer openness. Open Source Network Configuration Management ,----[ Quote ] | Open source projects have had a significant impact in areas such | as operating systems (Linux), databases (MySQL), web applicat...

[News] Microsoft Munchkinds Are Officially Criminals