[News] Open Database License is Out, Topocad Uses Open Source FDO Database Connection

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Open Source Database Vendor Grows, Opens New Development Centre
Open Source Database Company EnterpriseDB Opens Software Development Center In Pune, India ,----[ Quote ] | Forrester Research, an independent technology and market research | company, recently reported that open source databases will continue to | gain traction over closed source databases as the features and | functionality of the open source offerings improve and as enterprise | adoption of open source databases continues. In the same report, | Forrester estimated the open source database market to be US$300 | million and forecasted its likely growth to US$1 billion by 2008. `---- http:/...

[News] Another Reason to Use Open Source Databases
http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6063518.html?part=rss&tag=6063518&subj=news ,----[ Quote ] | Attack code that takes advantage of a flaw in Oracle's database software | has been released on the Web, raising the urgency to patch. `---- I don't know if it was mentioned in C.O.L.A. before, but I spotted the following earlier this week: http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/17/1350239&from=rss [ Oracle Looks At Buying Novell ] ...

Open a database from a database
I want to be able to open and run an Access database from within an already running one. The OpenDatabase command simply opens it but does not run the startup routine. Interestingly opening from Windows Explorer has a different meaning in that it opens and runs! What command enables me to open another database and get it to run its AutoExec macro, from code? Jim I don't know the answer, but I do know that when you use OpenDatabase the code in a startup form of that database does work. Martin "Jim Devenish" schreef in bericht news:0b4510ac-d415-4c2c-b200-7546aae178a4@gu8...

[News] Open Source Gains Momentum, Stanford Opens Open Source Lab
Open source on campus: The Stanford Open Source Lab ,----[ Quote ] | Over the last few months, open source has gained momentum at Stanford | University in the form of the Stanford Open Source Lab. Inspired by groups | like the Free Software Foundation, Oregon State University’s Open Source Lab, | Drupal, Openflows Community Technology Lab, and MIT’s Open Course Ware, a few | people at Stanford decided to band together and dedicate their time and | energies to the development of free/open/libre learning and knowledge | resources. `---- http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/02/12/open...

[News] [Linux] China Digitises History Using Linux and Open Source Software
China's Ancient Treasures Go Digital ,----[ Quote ] | Hundreds of workers at museums, academic institutions and government | offices in Taiwan are contributing to the National Digital Archives | project. The research institute Academia Sinica, for example, is | leading the software and database development effort, mainly | using Linux and MySQL. `---- http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,132439-c,sites/article.html Related: Microlibraries Project: 20,000+ books available on demand ,----[ Quote ] | The Center for Open and Sustainable Learning (COSL) has organized | the Microlibraries...

[News] Linux Journal Released; Intel Uses Linux; Open Source Momentum Accelerates
Linux Journal Contents #153, January 2007 This is rather technical http://www.linuxjournal.com/issue/153 Core Microarchitecture Processor Line-Up Expands ,----[ Quote ] | It runs Carrier Grade Linux* operating system and offers | significant performance improvements for compute-intensive | and database-access applications, including IP Multimedia | Subsystems (IMS), wireless control plane and IPTV. `---- http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0612/S00011.htm Adaptive Planning Express Edition 3.0 Released as Open Source Momentum Accelerates ,----[ Quote ] | Adaptive Planning Express Edition...

[News] Linux, Open Source and Open Hardware in Robotics Push
Robotics start-up Willow Garage believes open source OS will soon put robots in our homes ,----[ Quote ] | The company will release its open source software at the same time. `---- http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/03/15/robotics-start-willow-garage-believes-open-source-os-will-soon-put-robots-our-homes Related: Personal robots coming, study finds ,----[ Quote ] | The personal robot market will be worth $15 billion annually by 2015, | according to an ABI report. Most personal robots shipping today use | proprietary OSes, although Linux is slowly migrating from the commercial to | t...

[News] Oracle Open Source Database is Unlikely
An "Unbreakable MySQL" is unlikely to materialise ,----[ Quote ] | Like all proprietary software vendors, Oracle is under increasing | pressure from shareholders to prove that its business is strong enough | to sustain growth in the face of increasing interest in open source | among its core enterprise customers. This particular round of | sabre-rattling may come at a sensitive time for MySQL, which, | according to Mickos, is close to announcing an IPO. `---- http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/tech/BA1DFC4CEC901488CC257283007840C2 Roy Schestowitz wrote: > An "Unbreakable...

{News] Oracle Unveil Open Source Database
Oracle unveils new version of open source BerkeleyDB ,----[ Quote ] | Oracle has announced the general availability of the open source | Oracle Berkeley DB Java Edition Release 3.0. `---- http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid41_gci1189831,00.html ...

open database from another database
I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like to automate the back-up of an Access application to a writeable CD drive. I've got the process of creating a folder on the CD with the back-up date done, and I can copy the database objects (there are four MDB files in total) to the CD. All of that works. Here's my problem: because Access databases cannot be copied when they are open, I need to have my CD writing code in a new MDB, and will need to launch the new CD writing MDB from within one of the existing databases. I've done this kind of thing before, but I don't have the slightest recollection on how I did it (used to be you had to do that kind of thing in order to compact/repair through automation). So, I give up. How do you launch Access from within Access??? Well this will do it: Dim i As Variant i = Shell("msaccess d:\persprop\CSCPP.mdb") Just put in your own db path. But this does come up with the warning that requires you to click to get into to the db (in 2003). If you know how to get by that I'd like to know. You could put the function in a macro and then close the db stat started the new one. Good luck Ira Solomon On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:17:10 -0500, Mike Easter <username@domain.com> wrote: >I'm struggling with this, and I'm sure there's a way to do it. I would like >to automate the back-up of an Access application to a wri...

[News] Open Source Development and Open Source Frauds
Open source is a development model ,----[ Quote ] | "As a development model the GPL and other licenses offer the | possibility of more rapidly creating network effects around software. | Linux has extraordinary network effects. Open source can create a | community of developers and users who in turn create features that | make software more sustainable... `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=875 I have been seeing the following for a while (dozens of press releases) and thought the same thing as BTL. Intalio makes disingenuous claim that it has released code as open source ,-...

[News] SCO Targets Open Wi-Fi, Not Just Open Source (Linux)
SCO Chair Argues for Open Wi-Fi Crackdown in Utah ,----[ Quote ] | The head of SCO, a group that maintains Linux is a derivative product | of copyrights they hold, testified as a private citizen that Utah | should regulate how wireless networks are configured. Free and | unintentionally open networks would be banned in Ralph Yarro's view, | and individuals or network operators would be fined for leaving | networks open and responsible for any pornography that passes across | it that's viewed by minors. `---- http://wifinetnews.com/archives/007571.html Related: ,----[ Quote ] | &qu...

[News] Database Tool Takes the Open Source Route
New Open Source Database Change Management Tool released ,----[ Quote ] | ThoughtWorks announced the release of dbdeploy which is an open source | tool for developers and database administrators (DBAs). `---- http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=219 I've checked SourceForge to ensure they make all the code available. It looks like they do. ...

[News] Study: Open Source Databases 60% Cheaper
Open source databases '60 per cent cheaper' ,----[ Quote | Open source databases can save enterprises up to 60 per cent over | proprietary products, according to data collected by Forrester Research. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2168971/open-source-databases-slice "Unbreakable" truths. Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Open source databases '60 per cent cheaper' > > ,----[ Quote > | Open source databases can save enterprises up to 60 per cent over > | proprietary products, according to data collected by Forrester Research. > `---- > >...

[News] Linux Outlaws Has New Episode, Open Source Think Tank 2010 Opens

[News] Open Source Database on Par With (Almost Better Than) Oracle
PostgreSQL publishes first real benchmark ,----[ Quote ] | This publication shows that a properly tuned PostgreSQL is not only as | fast or faster than MySQL, but almost as fast as Oracle (since the | hardware platforms are different, it's hard to compare directly). | This is something we've been saying for the last 2 years, and now we | can prove it. | | [...] | | I'll continue this later this week with a discussion of what SpecJAppserver | is, what it measures, and how the Spec organization is warming up to open | source. | | Regardless, this is a good day for Postgre...

[News] Open Source Database Company Grows, Reaches India
Ingres Extends Open-Source Presence to India ,----[ Quote ] | Back in July, Ingres announced its first acquisition | since becoming an independent company in November 2005, | purchasing one of its resellers and service providers, | Thinking Instruments, as a way to expand its presence | both in Germany and the Middle East. It?s a strategy | the company expects to duplicate, particularly in | Europe, as it continues its expansion. `---- http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=25869 ...

[News] Firebird 2.0 is Released (Open Source Database)
Firebird 2.0 flies ,----[ Quote ] | Firebird 2.0 has shedloads more functions and coding designed to make | it work better and improve security. It has better support for | international languages and some new SQL language features. `---- http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35689 ...

INGRES R3 OPEN SOURCE DATABASE SHIPS FOR LINUX, WINDOWS
======================================================================== Posted November 01, 2004 5:02 AM Pacific Time Computer Associates International on Monday plans to widen the field for open source alternatives to commercial databases with the general release of the Ingres r3 database on the Linux and Windows platforms. For the full story: http://newsletter.infoworld.com/t?ctl=9AD427:2585418 ...

[News] Embedded Database Gets Open Source Operating System
Open-source RTOS adds in-memory DB ,----[ Quote ] | McObject has port its in-memory embedded database to the open-source | eCos RTOS (real-time operating system)... `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9842503412.html ...

[News] Microsoft Hires "Analysts" to Attack GNU/Linux, Open Source, and Open Standards
New Microsoft-commissioned studies are busting out all over ,----[ Quote ] | Bottom line: Don’t let the interoperability rhetoric coming out of Redmond | fool you. Microsoft’s battle against open-source and “open standards” backers | is not over. Nor is Microsoft’s policy of commissioning studies to convince | users of the superiority of Microsoft’s solutions. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=675 Related: “There’s an interesting article in the April 2007 issue of Harper’s magazine about panels, audits, and experts. It is called CTRL-ALT-DECEIT and is from evidence in Comes ...

[News] Advice on Linux/FOSS Advocacy, Taking Business Open Source
How To Be a Linux/Free Open Source Advocate ,----[ Quote ] | The problem is that the majority of people are used to using Microsoft | Windows, to doing things a certain way, and Linux does similar things, only | in slightly different ways. | | So, there's a learning process which must involve reading as much as | possible. `---- http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2008/04/how-to-be-linuxopen-source-advocate.html Going Open Source Series & Working With Open Source Companies - 3 RedMonk White Papers ,----[ Quote ] | Just a few days over a year ago, we wrote two papers at th...

[News] VMware Uses Open Source and Linux to Imporve and Secure Its Software
VMware Says Academic Program Attracting Schools, Releases Tools as Open Source ,----[ Quote ] | This news comes at VMware released most of its VMware Tools as open source. | The tools are a suite of guest operating system virtualization components | geared to improve Vmware virtual machine performance and management. | | VMware is aiming to ease Linux integration for its distribution partners with | the open source tools by easing porting to new operating systems, increasing | user involvement in test and development and fostering innovation. To that | end, Linux vendors can now integrate open-source-based VMware Tools -- hosted | at Sourceforce.net -- into future versions of their OSes. | | VMware is working with vendors such as Novell, Red Hat, and Ubuntu to | integrate open-source VMware Tools into their operating system installation | processes. `---- http://campustechnology.com/articles/50409/ Virtual Servers, Real Vulnerabilities ,----[ Quote ] | VMware released a patch for the DHCP bug on Thursday, and the company's | senior director of products Nand Mulchandani responds to Internet Security | Systems' Friday post by pointing out that most of the security flaws apply | only to a few of VMware's many products. The DHCP vulnerability, he said, | only applied to four programs, all of which are hosted on Linux or Windows | operating systems, not VMware's own ESX servers. `---- http://www.forbes.com/2007/09/21/virtualization-...

IDS 9.3 on Linux opening 2 database licenses at a time
Hi Header pretty much says it all. Every time a user kicks off an app which should be using 1 database licence it is taking 2, thus halving the number of users who can use the system. This doesn't seem right. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks. WanRob via DBMonster.com wrote: > Header pretty much says it all. Every time a user kicks off an app which > should be using 1 database licence it is taking 2, thus halving the number of > users who can use the system. This doesn't seem > right. Anyone got any ideas? Modify the application so that it makes just one connection to the database? Can you show us what you mean if it isn't that? You could also think about CPU-based licencing instead of user-based licencing. -- Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h> Email: jleffler@earthlink.net, jleffler@us.ibm.com Guardian of DBD::Informix v2005.01 -- http://dbi.perl.org/ ...

Web resources about - [News] Open Database License is Out, Topocad Uses Open Source FDO Database Connection - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Controversial Australian Cup protest could be costly for Awesome Rock's connections
Nothing arouses punters' feelings more than a controversial protest. Racing people still discuss with great vigour the Nausori-Big Philou Caulfield ...

2 men charged in connection of Girl Scout money theft
The suspects have been charged with robbery, safecracking and theft.

French (Canadian) connection helps Coyotes snap 7-game skid
The Arizona Coyotes defeat the Florida Panthers 5-1 Saturday behind a dominate performance by the team's French-Canadian players.

Is There a Connection Between Caffeine and Depression?
Couple of years ago when I was trying to find a way out of my depression, I came across a lot of websites like these mindbodygreen.com or k-state.edu.com ...

84 indicted in connection with NYC, New England drug-gun ring
Bronx DA says four gangs formed "an alliance of evil" to peddle cocaine and heroin in New Hampshire and Massachusetts

26-year-old man arrested in connection with Iditarod crashes
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A man suspected of intentionally driving a snowmobile into teams of two mushers near the front of the Iditarod Trail ...

Aruba's new products improve wireless connections
Aruba announced networking software and hardware today that include a new wireless access point that can support Skype for Business and Wi-Fi ...