[News] Open Source SpringSource Grows Bigger With Acquisition

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

SpringSource to Acquire GemStone Systems Data Management Technology

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100506006740&newsLang=en

SpringSource To Acquire GemStone Data Management

,----[ Quote ]
| Another week, another important announcement.
| The SpringSource division of VMware today
| announced that we have entered into a
| definitive agreement to acquire GemStone
| Systems, a leader in data grid technology.
`----

http://blog.springsource.com/2010/05/06/springsource-gemstone/

Recent:

VMware SpringSources for open source Rabbit

,----[ Quote ]
| Rabbit Technolgies CEO Alexis Richardson
| tells us that the company's open source
| messaging system, dubbed RabbitMQ, is used
| by NASA's Nebula project, a private
| infrastructure cloud that will apparently be
| used to power applications across the US
| federal government.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/13/springsource_buys_open_source_rabbit/

Talend Launches Industry’s First Unified Data Management Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Talend, the recognized market leader in open
| source data management software, today
| announced the release of Talend 4.0, a
| significant milestone for the company and
| the data integration market.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100413005596&newsLang=en

SpringSource Acquires RabbitMQ Cloud Messaging Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| SpringSource, a division of VMware, Inc.
| (NYSE:VMW) and the leader in Java
| application infrastructure and management,
| today announced the acquisition by VMware of
| Rabbit Technologies, Ltd., an open source
| software company based in the United
| Kingdom. SpringSource will add the RabbitMQ
| open messaging system into its suite of
| technologies that reduce the complexity
| associated with development, deployment and
| management of enterprise applications. Terms
| of the deal were not disclosed.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100413005673&newsLang=en

0
Reply Roy 5/8/2010 4:56:20 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.linux.advocacy 118402 articles. 12 followers. Post

[News] Open Source Company Grows Bigger, Doubles Staff
Compiere is on the move - again ,----[ Quote ] | Compiere, a provider of open source ERP and CRM software, announced this | week that it has relocated its headquarters from Portland, Ore., to | Santa Clara, Calif., and plans to double its staff. | | [...] | | "...We're seeing strong growth rates for open source skills outside of the | first world due to lower barriers to entry. Open source [also] makes it | easier for developing countries to pursue information technology." `---- http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/05/2120212&from=rss ...

[News] Java-based Open Source Project Grows, Sun Promotes Open Source in India
Terracotta Forms Global Partner Network ,----[ Quote ] | The solution is offered as a free download from Terracotta's open source | community, Open Terraccotta. There also a commercial Terracotta cousin | offered through the corporate site, which comes with support and updates. `---- http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=21122 Sun jumps in as well. http://press-releases.techwhack.com/11937/code-for-freedom/ They at least get people to recognise non-proprietary software. ...

[News] Google Opens up a Bit, Open Source Google Rival Grows Fast

[News] Open Source Database Vendor Grows, Opens New Development Centre
Open Source Database Company EnterpriseDB Opens Software Development Center In Pune, India ,----[ Quote ] | Forrester Research, an independent technology and market research | company, recently reported that open source databases will continue to | gain traction over closed source databases as the features and | functionality of the open source offerings improve and as enterprise | adoption of open source databases continues. In the same report, | Forrester estimated the open source database market to be US$300 | million and forecasted its likely growth to US$1 billion by 2008. `---- http:/...

[News] AlfreSCO Open Source Grows Up
Alfresco to stretch ECM to social computing ,----[ Quote ] | Enterprise content management (ECM) could be set for some big changes when | open-source firm Alfresco later this month releases an upgrade that will | integrate with social computing tools such as blogs, wikis and social | networks to change the way firms organise and syndicate their content. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/itweek/news/2204503/alfresco-stretch-ecm-social Formtek and Alfresco Partner to Introduce Open Source Enterprise Content Management... ,----[ Quote ] | Formtek and Alfresco Partner to Introduce Open Source ...

[News] Open Source Channel Alliance Grows

[News] Open Source Businesses Grow in This Recession

[News] Open Source Company Expands with a New Acquisition

[News] Open Source HRM is Growing Large Userbase
OrangeHRM Launches version 2.2 of the Open-Source HR Management System ,----[ Quote | OrangeHRM version 2.2 marks the sixth major release of the application since | February 2006. The software has received more than 55,000 cumulative | downloads in the last 15 months and is ranked among the 10 most active | open-source applications by SourceForge. | | The latest version of OrangeHRM is available free of charge under the GNU GPL | open-source license free of charge. `---- http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/9854.html Related: OrangeHRM and the new development model ,----[ Quote ] |...

[News] Growing Momentum for Open Source Projects (Digest)
On (Open Source) software development ,----[ Quote ] | ...I continue to be thrilled with how so many big IT shops have realized | that open source gives them the option to wean themselves off of these | massive infrastructure expenditures which require inordinate amounts of | customization and which they then have to support themselves. | | [...] | | There is no software product that meets the needs of every | user--which is exactly why open source makes so much sense. | Provide a quality core and let the needs of the users be developed | by the users, and when possible be brought back in...

[News] Open Source Software Institute (OSSI) Grows

[News] Open Source Grows While Proprietary Model Collapses
The Collapse of Competition ,----[ Quote ] | At the same time that free and open source software is growing, the old | proprietary model is collapsing. | | [...] | | As the Eclipse Foundation notes it's about building alliances. Instead | of playing FUD games, open source competitors win through hiring project | committers, by supporting other projects, or by winning endorsements | from other projects. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=763 ...

[News] Open Source Growing Use Studied in Australia
Open source geeks asked to 'stand up and be counted' ,----[ Quote ] | It was Canberra-based coder Dr Andrew Tridgell, for example, that kicked off | the Samba open source project which, for the better part of a decade, has | allowed file and print interoperability between Linux/Unix servers and | Windows clients and vice versa. | | Some of the key contributors to the Linux Kernel, Waugh adds, such as Rusty | Russell and Andrew Morton, are Australians, while Waugh himself is a | contributor to the Gnome desktop project. `---- http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Open-s...

[News] Open Source and/or Free Software Companies Are Growing Up
Upcoming open source companies have grown ,----[ Quote ] | Read on to find out why we named these vendors "Companies to Watch" last | year, and get updated on where they are today. `---- http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;992757158;fp;4194304;fpid;1 Related: 2010: Russia's open software market to grow 4-fold ,----[ Quote ] | Analysts note that Linux vendors are traditionally present on the mobile | device market. According to forecasts the OS might become the leader in | the segment accounting for 40% of it by 2010. ?Currently the share of | mobile devices with ...

[News] Open Source and Linux Grow in the VoIP Sector
Open source IP PBX: Growing like gangbusters ,----[ Quote ] | As the industry learns more about this technology and recognises the benefits | that VoIP brings to a dynamic contact centre and the enterprise, adoption | rates will continue to grow like wildfire. In an industry where needs are | ever-changing and dynamic, the right open source solution could be the spark | your business needs to lower costs, increase revenue and ultimately separate | your company from the competition. `---- http://www.computingsa.co.za/article.aspx?id=576535 Related: Linux dominating VoIP devices? ...

[News] Linux and Open Source Virtual Appliances Grow Up
Covalent open source application virtualization ,----[ Quote ] | They’re now using a pure-play open source model, that is the software | is freely available for download, the software is protected using a | well-accepted open source license and the company’s revenues come | from a well thought out subscription model for service and support. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=185 rPath Launches Certified Software Appliance Architect Curriculum ,----[ Quote ] | Customers are demanding simpler methods of purchasing, using, | and managing applications. Software vendors are satis...

[News] Demand for Open Source Grows in the Enterprise -- Study
Opening Up to Open Source Survey shows business demand for open-source growing. ,----[ Quote ] | The news is good for companies that hope to generate big revenues | from open source. According to Gartner, Linux server sales will | grow 12.2 percent annually to $11.55 billion by 2010, while | Windows server revenue will only increase by 2.3 percent. That | means a lot of potential sales for companies that sell services | to support open source products. | | [...] | | According to the study, 87 percent of respondents already use open-source. `---- http://www.redherring.com/Article.aspx?a=21...

[News] Open Source Opportunities Grow, According to Palamida CEO
Palamida CEO Talks Open-Source Opportunities ,----[ Quote ] | Q&A: The maker of code sleuthing technology for open-source applications sees the market growing swiftly as more enterprises adopt open-source | technology. `---- http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1976304,00.asp ...

[News] Fast-growing Company Attributes Its Success to Open Source
Open source entrepreneur turns his hobby into an Inc. 500 enterprise ,----[ Quote ] | iFAX founder Darren Nickerson says one of the keys to iFAX's success has been | its commitment to the open source community behind HylaFAX. "Our success is | tied to the openness of the software." `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/119405 ...

[News] Computer Weekly: Open source grows big and strong
Open source grows big and strong How Red Hat and JBoss will tempt more users to open source ,----[ Quote ] | Linux supplier Red Hat is to acquire open source company JBoss for | �187m, plus an extra �38m if it meets future sales targets... `---- http://www.computerweekly.com/Feeds/RS/Articles/2006/05/16/215912/Open+source+grows+big+and+strong.htm ...

[News] [OSS] More Growth (No Growing Pains) for Open Source Companies
EnterpriseDB ramps up focus on Europe ,----[ Quote ] | EnterpriseDB, a contributor to the open source version of | PostgreSQL, launched its commercial version in Europe in | January, which it said would save customers 80 per cent | over the cost of an Oracle database. | | [...] | | He said some of EnterpriseDB's modifications to Postgres did | make it back into the open source version, but could not | provide details of the firm's pipeline back into the | community from which it emerged. `---- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/22/enterprisedb_partners/ Red Hat chief tells st...

[News] American Open Source Firms Grows, Comes to Europe
US-based Open source provider comes to Europe ,----[ Quote ] | According to Forrester Research, "72% of European firms | claim lower TCO and lower acquisition costs as the key | advantages over commercial software." `---- http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=190 Disruptive technology spreads its wing. Lobbyists for proprietary giants can't stop reality from being spread. ...

[News] The Internet Wave Enables the Open Source Wave to Grow
Open Source: The Wave of the Future ,----[ Quote ] | Question: Do you see the trend continuing, or is it only short term? | | Dalle: We think that this is a long-lasting trend that has been enabled | by the Internet as a platform, which has facilitated collaboration and | sharing of code. That really has been the driving factor of the open | source movement. It was out there for awhile, but the Internet as a | collaboration platform has really allowed this business model to | explode. Obviously, software is an evolution. ... It will continue | to make leaps and bounds, but going forward, to ...

[News] Open Source Database Company Grows, Reaches India
Ingres Extends Open-Source Presence to India ,----[ Quote ] | Back in July, Ingres announced its first acquisition | since becoming an independent company in November 2005, | purchasing one of its resellers and service providers, | Thinking Instruments, as a way to expand its presence | both in Germany and the Middle East. It?s a strategy | the company expects to duplicate, particularly in | Europe, as it continues its expansion. `---- http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=25869 ...