[News] Open Source SpringSource Grows Bigger With Acquisition

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

SpringSource to Acquire GemStone Systems Data Management Technology

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100506006740&newsLang=en

SpringSource To Acquire GemStone Data Management

,----[ Quote ]
| Another week, another important announcement.
| The SpringSource division of VMware today
| announced that we have entered into a
| definitive agreement to acquire GemStone
| Systems, a leader in data grid technology.
`----

http://blog.springsource.com/2010/05/06/springsource-gemstone/

Recent:

VMware SpringSources for open source Rabbit

,----[ Quote ]
| Rabbit Technolgies CEO Alexis Richardson
| tells us that the company's open source
| messaging system, dubbed RabbitMQ, is used
| by NASA's Nebula project, a private
| infrastructure cloud that will apparently be
| used to power applications across the US
| federal government.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/13/springsource_buys_open_source_rabbit/

Talend Launches Industry’s First Unified Data Management Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Talend, the recognized market leader in open
| source data management software, today
| announced the release of Talend 4.0, a
| significant milestone for the company and
| the data integration market.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100413005596&newsLang=en

SpringSource Acquires RabbitMQ Cloud Messaging Technology

,----[ Quote ]
| SpringSource, a division of VMware, Inc.
| (NYSE:VMW) and the leader in Java
| application infrastructure and management,
| today announced the acquisition by VMware of
| Rabbit Technologies, Ltd., an open source
| software company based in the United
| Kingdom. SpringSource will add the RabbitMQ
| open messaging system into its suite of
| technologies that reduce the complexity
| associated with development, deployment and
| management of enterprise applications. Terms
| of the deal were not disclosed.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100413005673&newsLang=en

0
Reply Roy 5/8/2010 4:56:20 PM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.linux.advocacy 119667 articles. 13 followers. Post

[News] Java-based Open Source Project Grows, Sun Promotes Open Source in India
Terracotta Forms Global Partner Network ,----[ Quote ] | The solution is offered as a free download from Terracotta's open source | community, Open Terraccotta. There also a commercial Terracotta cousin | offered through the corporate site, which comes with support and updates. `---- http://www.adtmag.com/article.aspx?id=21122 Sun jumps in as well. http://press-releases.techwhack.com/11937/code-for-freedom/ They at least get people to recognise non-proprietary software. ...

[News] Open Source Company Grows Bigger, Doubles Staff
Compiere is on the move - again ,----[ Quote ] | Compiere, a provider of open source ERP and CRM software, announced this | week that it has relocated its headquarters from Portland, Ore., to | Santa Clara, Calif., and plans to double its staff. | | [...] | | "...We're seeing strong growth rates for open source skills outside of the | first world due to lower barriers to entry. Open source [also] makes it | easier for developing countries to pursue information technology." `---- http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/05/2120212&from=rss ...

[News] SourceForge Starts Open Source Contest; Open Source Software Comes to SOA; Open Source Content is Like a Baby
Open Source Community Honors Its Best and Brightest ,----[ Quote ] | The second annual SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards build on the | resounding community interest and success of the inaugural awards. `---- http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/marketwire/0275543.htm Bringing Open Source to SOAs ,----[ Quote ] | Although large commercial vendors made early strides into the market for SOA | software, open-source components are rapidly finding their way into the | picture. | | Vendors such as Iona Technologies, Red Hat, MuleSource, WSO2, Sun | Microsystems and even IB...

[News] Open Source Gains Momentum, Stanford Opens Open Source Lab
Open source on campus: The Stanford Open Source Lab ,----[ Quote ] | Over the last few months, open source has gained momentum at Stanford | University in the form of the Stanford Open Source Lab. Inspired by groups | like the Free Software Foundation, Oregon State University’s Open Source Lab, | Drupal, Openflows Community Technology Lab, and MIT’s Open Course Ware, a few | people at Stanford decided to band together and dedicate their time and | energies to the development of free/open/libre learning and knowledge | resources. `---- http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/02/12/open...

[News] Google Opens up a Bit, Open Source Google Rival Grows Fast

[News] Open Source Database Vendor Grows, Opens New Development Centre
Open Source Database Company EnterpriseDB Opens Software Development Center In Pune, India ,----[ Quote ] | Forrester Research, an independent technology and market research | company, recently reported that open source databases will continue to | gain traction over closed source databases as the features and | functionality of the open source offerings improve and as enterprise | adoption of open source databases continues. In the same report, | Forrester estimated the open source database market to be US$300 | million and forecasted its likely growth to US$1 billion by 2008. `---- http:/...

[News] PacktPub Rewards Open Source Projects, Sun Opens Open Source Portal

[News] Open Source Fabrics and Open Source Fabrication
Apparel export to India: Exporters want open source of raw goods ,----[ Quote ] | Country's readymade garment exporters yesterday sought 'open source' | of textile fabrics and sweater yarns to export six million pieces of | apparel items to India on preferential tariff rate. `---- http://nation.ittefaq.com/artman/publish/article_34455.shtml 3-D Fabrication Goes Open Source ,----[ Quote ] | Undoubtedly, the main attraction of the system is that it is open | source, meaning that anyone can enhance and improve the system for | the benefit of all users. This is in stark contrast to...

[News] Open Source Development and Open Source Frauds
Open source is a development model ,----[ Quote ] | "As a development model the GPL and other licenses offer the | possibility of more rapidly creating network effects around software. | Linux has extraordinary network effects. Open source can create a | community of developers and users who in turn create features that | make software more sustainable... `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=875 I have been seeing the following for a while (dozens of press releases) and thought the same thing as BTL. Intalio makes disingenuous claim that it has released code as open source ,-...

[News] Open Source Database Contributes to Open Source IDE
Ingres Announces New Developer Bundle for Eclipse Users ,----[ Quote ] | Ingres Corporation announced the availability of a new Ingres | Eclipse Bundle for Java developers worldwide. The new bundle | contains all of the components needed to successfully build | and deploy next-generation applications with Eclipse, a popular | open source development framework, on Ingres 2006, Ingres's | latest release of its open source database. `---- http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=276 ...

[News] More on the Index for Open Source Players and Open Source Fakers

[News] Open-source Intelligence and Open Source Mashup Server
Open secret: spy agencies reject essential sources ,----[ Quote ] | Many intelligence officers still do not have access to the internet, they | say, and the six intelligence agencies still do not have a functioning | electronic system for sharing information. | | The information revolution has given the agencies access to masses of "open | source" intelligence, especially on the internet. `---- http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/open-secret-spies-snub-prime-source/2008/03/01/1204227055173.html New Open Source WSO2 Mashup Server ,----[ Quote ] | WSO2, the global open so...

[News] Fake Open Source versus Real Open Source
When open source projects close the process, something's wrong ,----[ Quote ] | Twice in recent weeks open source projects have surprised me with their lack | of openness. In both cases, developers acted or spoke out in such a way as to | intentionally push other developers away from their work. | | [...] | | The root of both problems is an unwillingness to commit to a truly open | development process. `---- http://www.linux.com/feature/120635 Sounds like some certain "Free" project from Canonical. More on that soon. Related: Using open source as a marketing ploy ,...

[News] AlfreSCO Open Source Grows Up
Alfresco to stretch ECM to social computing ,----[ Quote ] | Enterprise content management (ECM) could be set for some big changes when | open-source firm Alfresco later this month releases an upgrade that will | integrate with social computing tools such as blogs, wikis and social | networks to change the way firms organise and syndicate their content. `---- http://www.vnunet.com/itweek/news/2204503/alfresco-stretch-ecm-social Formtek and Alfresco Partner to Introduce Open Source Enterprise Content Management... ,----[ Quote ] | Formtek and Alfresco Partner to Introduce Open Source ...

[News] Open Source and BMC Talk About "Open Source"
Open source @ Intel: Dirk Hohndel speaks ,----[ Quote ] | "Intel contributed to many of the very early free software projects like gcc | and glibc, and of course has been an active contributor to the Linux kernel | for many years. I don't think we actually know which project was the first." `---- http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9754202-16.html William Hurley: Managing In The Open ,----[ Quote ] | Color BMC not surprised. Last week we launched our BMC Developer Network to | open our community to the world. This week we launched an additional customer | council for custo...

[News] A Shift in Mindset from Open Source to Free Libre Open Source
Does Open Source Licensing Matter? ,----[ Quote ] | While the title of the panel was "Why Open Source Licensing Matters," panel | moderator Matt Asay, vice president of business development at Alfresco, said | it does matter, though maybe not for all the people on this panel. Asay | recently helped to move Alfresco from a SugarCRM-type attribution license to | the GPLv2. | | Though the panel didn't agree on the value of OSI-approved open source | licensing, it did agree on the value of the open source model. | | "Open source as a community matters," Asay ...

[News] Trend Micro Praise Open Source, Go Open Source
Trend Micro CTO hints that Trend will Open Source Code ,----[ Quote ] | In a stunning revelation in Trend Micro: Open source is more secure, | Trend CTO Raimund Genes hints that Trend may release their code as | an open source project! `---- http://blogs.technet.com/security/archive/2006/06/14/435960.aspx ...

[News] Open Source-hostile Companies Bet Business on Open Source
Yahoo sets program to boost distributed computing ,----[ Quote ] | Yahoo has been a main supporter of Hadoop, an open source distributed file | system that lets users process massive amounts of data. The company said it | would make Hadoop available to academic research in a supercomputing-class | data center. `---- http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSWNAS201020071112?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews http://tinyurl.com/39o5qm 127 million Oracle shares vote for open source at annual shareholders meeting ,----[ Quote ] | While seemingly a lot, 127 million shares d...

[News] The Importance of Open Source Interoperability; Open Source Wins Award
Can Technology Be Made To Play Nice Together? Really? ,----[ Quote ] | Customers today have proprietary software and they have open source software. | Customers just want it all to work together. This dream is becoming a reality | as companies and projects in both the commercial and open source space are | working together to solve the interoperability challenge and bring a solution | to one of the biggest pain points for customers today. `---- http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,25,site_layout,sdaindia,articles,587,p,0.html We need one standard, not 'translators'. ...

[News] Open Source Observatory in EU and Open Source in South Africa

[News] Open Source Advantage in Digital Signage, Open Source Fakers Join In
Open-Source Technology in Digital Signage ,----[ Quote ] | Open Source and Free software have transformed the software business. Instead | of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars and getting locked in, we have | been given freedom. Freedom to be our own equipment's boss; freedom to share; | and freedom to benefit from cooperation and hence from what thousands of | others have already done. | | Many Digital Signage providers use Open Source both in the products like | Media Players, and to run their operations cost-effectively. By doing so, | they can concentrate on our “re...

[News] Open Source for Books, Open Source Magazine, and Java on Linux (Digest)
Creating ebooks with open source tools http://software.newsforge.com/software/06/07/18/152227.shtml?tid=130&tid=132&tid=138 welcome to o3 magazine ,----[ Snippet ] | The focus of o3 is on the use of Free and Open Source (FOSS) software | in Enterprise Data Networking environments. `---- http://www.o3magazine.com/ Homepage of Java on Linux http://www.blackdown.org/ ...

[News] Insoshi Goes Open Source, Social Networking and Open Source Connected
Social Networking Goes Open Source With Insoshi ,----[ Quote ] | Insoshi is not the first company to release its social networking code. | Broadband Mechanics has always emphasized the openness of its | PeopleAggregator platform, and even Ning, the most publicized DIY social | networking company, will give you the underlying code if you request it. `---- http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/04/29/social-networking-goes-open-source-with-insoshi/ Social Networking and Open Source: Cut From the Same Cloth ,----[ Quote ] | However, social and open source are starting to actually blend -- where...

[News] Open Source Winner for Voting Machines, More on Free Open Source Advantages
US/Canada Team Wins Voting Machine Competition ,----[ Quote ] | Chaum later developed his own system, Scantegrity, from the same concept used | in Punchscan. Scantegrity is fully open source (in Java). Chaum says the | system is easy to implement with current optical-scan voting systems, thus | reducing costs and the time it would take to get the voting system certified | and implemented in election districts. `---- http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/07/us-team-wins-vo.html You're never alone with Plone ,----[ Quote ] | Ask Plone users what they like best about the open-sour...