[News] Palm Finds a Linux That it Likes, Linux-based 'Laptop Killer' Coming This Summer

Palm Foleo to use Wind River Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Wind River said that over the coming months, it will work with Palm to port
| the Foleo's software stack to Wind River's Platform for Consumer Devices,
| Linux Edition.
`----

Related:

Palm Foleo with Linux threatens the Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| The Palm Foleo is joining a list of MID (Mobile Internet Devices) like the
| Nokia N800 and Asus Eee that use a lightweight version of Linux but the main
| advantage of the Foleo is its instant on feature.  While traditional “Linux”
| may be too difficult for the average user to handle, these highly integrated
| implementations of Linux have no problem being adopted by the masses.  That
| could pose a problem for Microsoft in the long run if these devices ever get
| widespread adoption.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=562

Can Mid-Sized Portable Devices Replace Laptops?

,----[ Quote ]
| There are laptops. There are handhelds. And there's the middle thing. Who
| wants the middle thing? Palm thinks you want the middle thing—the Foleo,
| which the company calls a "smartphone companion."
|
| [...]
|
| So far, two decades of failed products have shown that few people want the
| middle thing. But that doesn't mean it's an entirely bad idea. In fact, the
| middle thing might be where desktop Linux finally grabs more than a toehold.
| Here's what the middle thing needs to do, and where Palm and Nokia (and
| everybody else) are failing:
|
| It needs to be cheaper, lighter, and go longer than a laptop. This is where
| Linux reigns, with low-power processors and low-cost components.
`----

Palm Foleo First Thoughts

,----[ Quote ]
| If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video should be worth a
| whole volume. That's why Brian Beeler and I recorded a brief video
| overview of the Foleo, which will hopefully give you a better idea of
| what it will be like to use the first mobile companion yourself.
`----

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13139

First Look: ASUS Eee PC at HotHardware

,----[ Quote ]
| Few details revealed:
|
|     * Makes use of Intel's 910 mobile chipset
|     * Offers a 900Mhz Intel Dothan Pentium M processor
|     * Includes four USB 2.0 ports
|     * VGA output
|     * Flash card reader
|     * 3 hour battery life
|     * Runs the KDE desktop environment (screenshot of Eee PC's KDE desktop)
|     * Includes an “Easy” mode mobile interface with quick tabs to:
|       Internet, Work, Learn, Play, Settings, Favorites
|     * Pre-installed Skype, OpenOffice, anti-virus, educational software, and
|       more
|     * Direct link to web storage (partner not specified)
`----

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/4030/first_look_asus

Hands-on with a prototype Intel Mobile Internet Device

,----[ Quote ]
| The particular unit I was looking at had been fitted with a fresh
| installation of Mandriva Flash Edition and a fresh build of KDE 4's
| development series. The device is still considered a technology development
| prototype, and the final version will not be shipped with the exact same
| configuration as the prototype.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070710-hands-on-with-a-prototype-intel-mobile-internet-device.html
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

On Aug 7, 5:20 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote:

> Can Mid-Sized Portable Devices Replace Laptops?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | There are laptops. There are handhelds. And there's the middle thing. Who
> | wants the middle thing? Palm thinks you want the middle thing-the Foleo,
> | which the company calls a "smartphone companion."

I want the middle thing...I've been waiting years for the middle
thing...I thought I would buy the ASUS eee this month but they put it
off until October.

Give me the Middle Thing!

0
jabailo (8241)
8/7/2007 4:16:25 PM
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
> Palm Foleo to use Wind River Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Wind River said that over the coming months, it will work with Palm to port
>| the Foleo's software stack to Wind River's Platform for Consumer Devices,
>| Linux Edition.
> `----

Here comes another one (device, I mean).  The day of the desktop is
looking very, well, dead and buried.

Thinking somewhat laterally to the 3D driver stuff, will there be any
need for 3D rendering in a world where almost nobody is using a desktop
PC anyway?  The power consumed is considerable, of course, and the
gains, unless you're a gamer, more or less not worth the effort.

mark.kent (15323)
8/7/2007 4:41:29 PM
____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:41 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>> Palm Foleo to use Wind River Linux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Wind River said that over the coming months, it will work with Palm to port
>>| the Foleo's software stack to Wind River's Platform for Consumer Devices,
>>| Linux Edition.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6844359014.html
>>

> Here comes another one (device, I mean).  The day of the desktop is
> looking very, well, dead and buried.
>
> Thinking somewhat laterally to the 3D driver stuff, will there be any
> need for 3D rendering in a world where almost nobody is using a desktop
> PC anyway?  The power consumed is considerable, of course, and the
> gains, unless you're a gamer, more or less not worth the effort.

Have a look at this new one. Take your large desktop everywhere you go (and let
the CPU-intensive stuff run remotely).

Palm Foleo bundles remote PC access ware

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm today announced that when it ships later "this summer," the Foleo mobile
| companion will come equipped with remote PC access software from LogMeIn. The
| software will enable users to quickly and securely access files and network
| resources on their home or work computers, Palm said.
`----

                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
newsgroups3 (79677)
8/8/2007 4:36:57 AM
____/ John Bailo, Texeme.Construct on Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:16 : \____

> On Aug 7, 5:20 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>
>> Can Mid-Sized Portable Devices Replace Laptops?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | There are laptops. There are handhelds. And there's the middle thing. Who
>> | wants the middle thing? Palm thinks you want the middle thing-the Foleo,
>> | which the company calls a "smartphone companion."
>
> I want the middle thing...I've been waiting years for the middle
> thing...I thought I would buy the ASUS eee this month but they put it
> off until October.
>
> Give me the Middle Thing!

You can probably find that lemon from Paul Allen, who possibly still live in
Seattle (?). Boy, what a stinker he has unleashed on the market. I wonder if
it will reach a single shelf. He should have gone with Linux.

--
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | $> unzip; ping; mount /usr; grep; umount& sleep
newsgroups3 (79677)
8/8/2007 4:38:04 AM
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:41 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>>> Palm Foleo to use Wind River Linux
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6844359014.html
>>>

>> Here comes another one (device, I mean).  The day of the desktop is
>> looking very, well, dead and buried.
>>
>> Thinking somewhat laterally to the 3D driver stuff, will there be any
>> need for 3D rendering in a world where almost nobody is using a desktop
>> PC anyway?  The power consumed is considerable, of course, and the
>> gains, unless you're a gamer, more or less not worth the effort.
>>
> Have a look at this new one. Take your large desktop everywhere you go (and let
> the CPU-intensive stuff run remotely).
>
> Palm Foleo bundles remote PC access ware
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Palm today announced that when it ships later "this summer," the Foleo mobile
>| companion will come equipped with remote PC access software from LogMeIn. The
>| software will enable users to quickly and securely access files and network
>| resources on their home or work computers, Palm said. � �
> `----

It's a neat solution, although I find VNC and SSH are adequate for my
humble needs.  It's amazing how much you can achieve with just ssh
console access, in my experience, let alone with x-forwarding and so
on.

The Nokia 800 has vnc clients and servers, as well as telnet client, ssh
clients & servers, so it has all that flexibility.

mark.kent (15323)
8/8/2007 8:06:46 AM
____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 09:06 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:41 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:

>>> Here comes another one (device, I mean).  The day of the desktop is
>>> looking very, well, dead and buried.
>>>
>>> Thinking somewhat laterally to the 3D driver stuff, will there be any
>>> need for 3D rendering in a world where almost nobody is using a desktop
>>> PC anyway?  The power consumed is considerable, of course, and the
>>> gains, unless you're a gamer, more or less not worth the effort.
>>>
>> Have a look at this new one. Take your large desktop everywhere you go (and
>> let the CPU-intensive stuff run remotely).
>>
>> Palm Foleo bundles remote PC access ware
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Palm today announced that when it ships later "this summer," the Foleo
>>| mobile companion will come equipped with remote PC access software from
>>| LogMeIn. The software will enable users to quickly and securely access
>>| files and network resources on their home or work computers, Palm said.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2274337184.html
>>

> It's a neat solution, although I find VNC and SSH are adequate for my
> humble needs.  It's amazing how much you can achieve with just ssh
> console access, in my experience, let alone with x-forwarding and so
> on.
>
> The Nokia 800 has vnc clients and servers, as well as telnet client, ssh
> clients & servers, so it has all that flexibility.

The size of the screen and keyboard remain an issue (productivity wise), which
is why Foleo is a brilliant device with great potential.

--
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Prevalence does not imply ideali$M
Cpu(s): 28.4%us,  4.9%sy,  1.0%ni, 61.3%id,  4.0%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.2%si,  0.0%st
newsgroups3 (79677)
8/8/2007 10:19:28 AM
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
> ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 08 August 2007 09:06 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:41 : \____

>>> Have a look at this new one. Take your large desktop everywhere you go (and
>>> let the CPU-intensive stuff run remotely).
>>>
>>> Palm Foleo bundles remote PC access ware
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2274337184.html
>>>

>> It's a neat solution, although I find VNC and SSH are adequate for my
>> humble needs.  It's amazing how much you can achieve with just ssh
>> console access, in my experience, let alone with x-forwarding and so
>> on.
>>
>> The Nokia 800 has vnc clients and servers, as well as telnet client, ssh
>> clients & servers, so it has all that flexibility.
>
> The size of the screen and keyboard remain an issue (productivity wise), which
> is why Foleo is a brilliant device with great potential.

I use a bluetooth keyboard with my N800 which is normal sized when
opened up, and seems to work very well.

I don't find the screen size a huge issue, since I use it in order to be
highly mobile, so having a smaller size is good.

That said, I'm sure there's room in the market for slightly larger
devices, too.

Looking at the space next to me, there's an old Z88 Sinclair laptop, a
Psion 2; an Osaris (Psion) 4, Psion 5MX, a couple of old Toshiba Pentium
1 75MHz laptops, a Nokia N770 and a Nokia N800.

It's like a shrine to portable computing!

I've also got an older Rockwell PR100 calculator - one of the earliest
progammable ones, and I used to have a sinclair programmable with the
purple display, but that disappeared long ago.  I have an HP28S, though,
too.

The Windows era resulted in the fewest number of alternative devices
there ever was, but as we come out of that, we can see the huge amount
of suppressed demand, suppressed by the Microsoft lock-in.  The standard
question used to be "does it work with windows", meaning, can I put the
Microsoft proprietary stuff onto it.

mark.kent (15323)
8/8/2007 10:53:40 AM
Mark Kent <mark.kent@demon.co.uk> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> espoused:
>>> The Nokia 800 has vnc clients and servers, as well as telnet client, ssh
>>> clients & servers, so it has all that flexibility.
>>
>> The size of the screen and keyboard remain an issue (productivity wise), which
>> is why Foleo is a brilliant device with great potential.
>>

> I use a bluetooth keyboard with my N800 which is normal sized when
> opened up, and seems to work very well.
>
> I don't find the screen size a huge issue, since I use it in order to be
> highly mobile, so having a smaller size is good.

Thanks for that explanation. I hope everyone here can keep up with your
"intelligent debate".

> That said, I'm sure there's room in the market for slightly larger
> devices, too.

Uh huh. Like the millions that already exist?

> Looking at the space next to me, there's an old Z88 Sinclair laptop, a
> Psion 2; an Osaris (Psion) 4, Psion 5MX, a couple of old Toshiba Pentium
> 1 75MHz laptops, a Nokia N770 and a Nokia N800.
>
> It's like a shrine to portable computing!
>
> I've also got an older Rockwell PR100 calculator - one of the earliest
> progammable ones, and I used to have a sinclair programmable with the
> purple display, but that disappeared long ago.  I have an HP28S, though,
> too.

And this has what to do with Linux? You are Off Topic. Please go and
report yourself to your own ISP.

> The Windows era resulted in the fewest number of alternative devices
> there ever was, but as we come out of that, we can see the huge amount

Stats please? Garbage as usual.

> of suppressed demand, suppressed by the Microsoft lock-in.  The standard
> question used to be "does it work with windows", meaning, can I put the
> Microsoft proprietary stuff onto it.

I'm sure I have no idea what rubbish you are spouting now.

hadronquark2 (7213)