[News] PCLOS Claimed 'Best' GNU/Linux Distribution, Arch Linux for Ricers?

PCLinuxOS is the best Distro

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, I am very thrilled with PCLinuxOS. The possibilities for the
| future of Linux are very bright. Microsoft better clean up its act with its
| big brother policies or they will find themselves going by way of the
| incandescent light bulb, the 8 track tape, and the Whig party. I wont
| tolerate Microsoft's soldiers of Oceania marching across my computer!
`----

http://tonyrs-blog.blogspot.com/2008/01/pclinuxos-is-best-distro.html

Arch: Pros Only, But Not Bad

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall: 3.2/5- A solid distribution, but not recommended for newbies.
`----

http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2008/01/arch-pros-only-but-not-bad.html

Related:

PCLinuxOS 2007 and Mint 4.0: ELDs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Even though these are not officially supported for Linux by Dell, both of
| these computers run it without issue. The Ubuntu Linux supported hardware is
| an Inspiron 530 N at this writing. Other than the GRUB thing on the 340, both
| these distros work great. Either one is viable as an Enterprise Linux
| desktop.
`----

http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-carl/steve-carl/pclos07-and-mint4

PCLinuxOS Digital Photography Edition

http://www.pbase.com/newmikey/pclinuxos_2008_digital_photography_edition

PCLinuxOS 2008 ‘MiniMe’

,----[ Quote ]
| The tendency of Linux distributions to get bigger and pack more and more into
| their liveCD/DVDs (e.g., Sabayon, MIB Games Mandriva remaster) while
| convenient can slow your system down considerably; it’s nice to see that some
| see the need for a more bare bones effort that allows you to pick and choose
| for your particular needs.
| Well worth the download and test drive; see if you can resist making your
| system a dual boot with this very zippy and configurable effort from TexStar
| and company and all the fine developers at PCLinuxOS.
`----

http://fareast.linuxdiary.com/2008/01/12/pclinuxos-2008-minime/

PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniME Preview !

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS is an English only Live CD initially based on Mandrake Linux that
| runs entirely from a bootable CD. Data on the CD is decompressed on the fly,
| allowing up to 2GB of programs on one CD, including a complete X server, KDE
| desktop, OpenOffice.org and many more applications all ready to use. In
| addition to the Live CD, you can also install PCLinuxOS to your hard drive
| with an easy-to-use Live CD Installer. Additional applications can be added
| or removed from your hard drive using a friendly apt-get front end via
| Synaptic Package Manager.
`----

http://tuxenclave.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/pclinuxos-2008-minime-preview/

PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniME

http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opensource/linux/screenshots/index.php?linux_distribution_sm=PCLinuxOS%202008%20MiniME
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:37:49 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> PCLinuxOS is the best Distro
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | All in all, I am very thrilled with PCLinuxOS. The possibilities for
> the | future of Linux are very bright. Microsoft better clean up its act
> with its | big brother policies or they will find themselves going by
> way of the | incandescent light bulb, the 8 track tape, and the Whig
> party. I wont | tolerate Microsoft's soldiers of Oceania marching across
> my computer! `----

I don't regret switching from Suse at all.

--
Rick
0
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:11:14 -0000, Rick wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:37:49 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> PCLinuxOS is the best Distro
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| All in all, I am very thrilled with PCLinuxOS. The possibilities for
>> the | future of Linux are very bright. Microsoft better clean up its act
>> with its | big brother policies or they will find themselves going by
>> way of the | incandescent light bulb, the 8 track tape, and the Whig
>> party. I wont | tolerate Microsoft's soldiers of Oceania marching across
>> my computer! `----
>
> I don't regret switching from Suse at all.

Suse used to be state of the art and a great distribution.
They were the first to go full steam into ALSA and they were also one of
the few who had excellent video support, right out of the box.
They also had great printed manuals and a decent help system.

Sadly, over the years, Suse has just gotten more and more bug ridden with
their releases.
Too bad.
0
brick.n.straw (6130)
1/27/2008 6:18:34 PM
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:11:14 +0000, Rick wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:37:49 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> PCLinuxOS is the best Distro
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | All in all, I am very thrilled with PCLinuxOS. The possibilities for
>> the | future of Linux are very bright. Microsoft better clean up its act
>> with its | big brother policies or they will find themselves going by
>> way of the | incandescent light bulb, the 8 track tape, and the Whig
>> party. I wont | tolerate Microsoft's soldiers of Oceania marching across
>> my computer! `----
>
> I don't regret switching from Suse at all.

Was that openSUSE or SLED? Though I've installed Ubuntu on my laptop, SLED
remains the distro of choice on my desktop. I've no complaints about it at
all.

--
Kier

0
vallon (8614)
1/27/2008 9:49:33 PM
Kier <vallon@tiscali.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:11:14 +0000, Rick wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:37:49 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> PCLinuxOS is the best Distro
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> the | future of Linux are very bright. Microsoft better clean up its act
>>> with its | big brother policies or they will find themselves going by
>>> way of the | incandescent light bulb, the 8 track tape, and the Whig
>>> party. I wont | tolerate Microsoft's soldiers of Oceania marching across
>>> my computer! `----
>>
>> I don't regret switching from Suse at all.
>
> Was that openSUSE or SLED? Though I've installed Ubuntu on my laptop, SLED
> remains the distro of choice on my desktop. I've no complaints about it at
> all.

Why is it your "Distro of choice"?

What does it do that Debian or (K)Ubuntu can not do after 10 minutes of
configuration?

0
hadronquark2 (7213)
1/28/2008 4:29:04 AM
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 05:29:04 +0100, Hadron wrote:

> Kier <vallon@tiscali.co.uk> writes:

>>> I don't regret switching from Suse at all.
>>
>> Was that openSUSE or SLED? Though I've installed Ubuntu on my laptop, SLED
>> remains the distro of choice on my desktop. I've no complaints about it at
>> all.
>
> Why is it your "Distro of choice"?

Because I like it, I know it, and it does what I want. Why do you have a
problem with anyone expressing the slightest preference for any distro
but the ones *you* use?

> What does it do that Debian or (K)Ubuntu can not do after 10 minutes of
> configuration?

What does Debian on Ubuntu do that SLED can't?

Are you incapable of understanding that not everyone wants to use what
you're using?

Mandriva didn't like the graphics card in the machine when I tried
installing it, so I went for SLED instead. It installed without a problem.
I don't want to put another distro on it. This one works. I'm satisfied
with it.

Happy now?

--
Kier

0
vallon (8614)
1/28/2008 9:09:44 AM
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:49:33 +0000, Kier wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:11:14 +0000, Rick wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:37:49 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> PCLinuxOS is the best Distro
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> the | future of Linux are very bright. Microsoft better clean up its
>>> act with its | big brother policies or they will find themselves going
>>> by way of the | incandescent light bulb, the 8 track tape, and the
>>> Whig party. I wont | tolerate Microsoft's soldiers of Oceania marching
>>> across my computer! `----
>>
>> I don't regret switching from Suse at all.
>
> Was that openSUSE or SLED? Though I've installed Ubuntu on my laptop,
> SLED remains the distro of choice on my desktop. I've no complaints
> about it at all.

At the time, it was just Suse, IIRC.

--
Rick