[News] Pequot Capital Took Staff from Microsoft, Made Money That Way, Paid SCO

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

"On the same day that CA blasted SCO, Open Source evangelist
Eric Raymond revealed a leaked email from SCO's strategic
consultant Mike Anderer to their management. The email details
how, surprise surprise, Microsoft has arranged virtually all of SCO's
 financing, hiding behind intermediaries like Baystar Capital."

                   --Bruce Perens

SEC settles charges with Pequot firm over insider trading

,----[ Quote ]
| Pequot Capital Management and its chief
| executive, Arthur Samberg, agreed to pay
| $28 million to settle the SEC's charges
| that the firm traded shares of Microsoft
| based on insider information.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/27/AR2010052705351.html?nav=rss_business/industries

"Integral Capital Management" and "Pequot Ventures / Pequot Capital Management"
have been buying huge chunks of SCO stock. There's a pretty short version of
those degrees-of-separation chains leading back to MSFT if you're a conspiracy theorist.

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2003-09-16-016-26-NW-RH-LL&reply=0029&quote=1

Pequot Capital to Shut Amid SEC Insider-Trading Probe (Update2)

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
| in January resumed a probe into whether
| Samberg’s funds illegally profited in 2001
| by trading on inside information about
| Microsoft Corp., people familiar with the
| matter said at the time. That was about a
| year after the agency told Samberg and
| Morgan Stanley Chief Executive Officer John
| Mack they wouldn’t be accused of wrongdoing
| related to insider trading.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=adzQGDVos7OQ&refer=home

SCO's 10K, MyDoom, and the Morgan Keegan letters

,----[ Quote ]
| VSpring Capital (SCO)
| Vector Capital (SCO)
| IDG Ventures (Broadmark)
| Group Atlantic Partners, LLC (Broadmark)
| Paladin Capital Group (Broadmark)
| Pequot Capital (Broadmark)
| Technology Crossover Ventures (Broadmark)
| Ram Capital Resources, LLC (Impact Capital)
| Crestview Capital Fund (Impact Capital)
`----

Finally: Fried Frank, Wachtell on Pequot Insider Trading Settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson
| and Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz played
| key roles brokering a $28 million
| settlement that resolves a long-simmering
| allegation that Pequot Capital Management,
| the Westport-based hedge fund, committed
| insider trading in Microsoft securities in
| 2001, according to SEC officials.
|
| The SEC filed suit against Pequot and its
| chairman, Arthur Samberg, today and
| announced at the same time that Pequot and
| Samberg agreed to pay $28 million combined
| in disgorged profits and penalties to
| settle the case. (They did not admit or
| deny guilt.) Federal investigators had been
| looking into the allegations since at least
| 2005 but closed early investigations after
| failing to find enough evidence to bring a
| case, according to our prior reporting. But
| then something happened that didn't help
| Pequot: The employee at the center of the
| case got divorced, and e-mails implicating
| the employee, David Zilkha, in the insider
| trading scheme came to light in filings.
| Zilkha joined Pequot in 2001 after working
| for Microsoft, and he used his contacts at
| Microsoft to tip Pequot to the fact that
| Microsoft was about to release a better-
| than-expected earnings report in the spring
| of 2001. Pequot then made $14 million on
| trades of Microsoft securities, according
| to the SEC's complaint.
`----

http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdaily/2010/05/pequotinsidertrading.html

Feds Charge Two In Insider-Trading Plot Involving Disney

,----[ Quote ]
| Wowza. Folks out at Disney’s HQ in Burbank,
| Calif., are probably doing a bit of glassy-
| eyed headshaking on Wednesday, in wake of a
| criminal complaint filed a few hours ago.
|
| The complaint, filed by federal prosecutors
| in Manhattan, has alleged that a former
| administrative assistant to Disney’s head
| of communications and her boyfriend tried
| to sell advance access to the company’s
| second-quarter earnings reports. Click here
| for the WSJ story; here for the criminal
| complaint.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/05/26/feds-charge-two-in-insider-trading-plot-involving-disney/

Related:

Microsoft exec dumped stock prior to Red Ring announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| To make matters more murky, the sales were not registered with the Securities
| and Exchange Commission within the mandatory two days of the transaction, a
| result of an alleged "administrative error." Microsoft has since remedied the
| issue by following the "procedures required of late-filers."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/08/14/microsoft-exec-dumped-stocks-prior-to-red-ring-addresment

Microsoft's Bach sold more stock before Xbox news

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. executive Robbie Bach sold $3 million more in company stock
| during the period leading up to an announcement about a costly flaw in its
| Xbox video game console than previously reported, according to a filing
| Monday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsofts-bach-sold-additional-stock/story.aspx?guid=%7BBECA3A50-EF33-4161-A111-A43BDC8B0462%7D&siteid=yhoof

Insider Trading Hasn't Affect Microsoft Stock - Yet

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070713/40947_id.html?.v=1

,----[ Quote ]
| A Connecticut divorce judge ordered Tuesday that $250,000 be placed in escrow
| that a hedge fund planned to pay a former Microsoft employee amid a federal
| investigation of possible insider trading.
|
| [...]
|
| The Securities and Exchange Commission earlier this year reopened its probe
| of possible insider trading at Pequot. It's investigating if Pequot traded
| Microsoft Corp.  ( MSFT -  news  -  people ) shares on confidential
| information provided by Zilkha, whom it had hired.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/04/28/ap6351588.html

0
Reply Roy 5/30/2010 11:02:19 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.linux.advocacy 118303 articles. 12 followers. Post

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Moves More Staff to India (to Save Money)

[News] [Rival] Microsoft in a Search for New Ways of Making Money (New Problems)
Microsoft softens direct sales blow ,----[ Quote ] | The channel patterns Microsoft untethers will inevitably have to broaden | their alliegences to compete. Pearce said their fate will depend ultimately | on Microsoft's pricing strategy, and that will depend partly on Microsoft's | competitors. `---- http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/12/microsoft-softens-direct-sales Due to the Vista fiasco and other factors like Web-based services, it was shown before that not many Microsoft customers renew their contract. Forrester showed this, IIRC. The Microsoft pair of...

[News] Linpsire Will Say Goodnight After Microsoft Deal (They Took the Money and Ran)
Linspire: Doomed to failure ,----[ Quote ] | Linspire has an even bigger problem. The free software community has recently | decided that Linspire was on their blacklist. Why? Most (if not all) of it is | a backlash from the recent Linspire-Microsoft deal. Basically, Linspire | agreed to help with Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org compatibility, Pidgin | and Windows Live Messenger compatibility, and Windows Media and TrueType font | support in Linspire. Microsoft also promised not to sue Linspire users. But | what is given in exchange? Freespire isn’t covered, major upgrades are | i...

[News] Money Made from Supporting Free Software, GroundWork Sways the Red Hat Way
10 Commercial Open Source Security Vendors ,----[ Quote ] | Can companies make money by selling a product customers can get for free? | | Absolutely, yes. `---- http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3707956 Red Hat, GroundWork Expand Alliance ,----[ Quote ] | On Tuesday, the two partners will announce an expanded partnership in which | leading Linux vendor Red Hat will now provide 24×7 telephone premium support | of GroundWork products and will offer either onsite or online training | classes through GroundWork University.. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source...

[News] SCO is Microsoft, Microsoft is SCO, SCO Dies, Microsoft Pulls an SCO
Can Microsoft get its $12 million back from SCO? ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft played matchmaker back in 2003 when SCO needed money to help fund | its lawsuits agains IBM and various other Linux players and customers. | Microsoft suggested that hedge fund BayStar Capital invest $50 million in | SCO. | | Microsoft also backed SCO’s play to convince other vendors and customers to | license SCO’s technology to avoid potential infringement lawsuits. (Maybe | that’s where Microsoft got its patent-licensing ideas ...) | | One of the first companies to snap up two SCO licenses was Microsoft...

[News] Microsoft Borrows Money and Has No Microsoft Money

[News] [Rival] SCO/Microsoft Booster (Daniel Lyons) Snubbed; Microsoft Jack defending Microsoft's Side
Newsweek staffer Daniel Lyons apologizes for Apple interference claim ,----[ Quote ] | To Levy, "this is like hiring Rush Limbaugh | as your White House correspondent" and | expecting to get interviews. Lyons's "most | notable professional accomplishment is a | vicious satire of Apple." `---- http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/06/AR2010040603793.html Dan Lyons, Apple PR, and manipulating the press http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/apr/07/ipad-newsweek-apple-pr-fakesteve Recent: Caution: Full-Blown Fool Ahead ,----[ Quo...

[News] SCO Verdict Near, Microsoft is the Next SCO

[News] SCO Lawsuit Void of Sunstance; Who REALLY Paid SCO?
SCO: taken over, slightly richer, but still on its way out ,----[ Quote ] | Ovum has been dismissive of SCO's legal claims ever since the company first | aired them. This latest twist does not change our mind, on the contrary. Like | many others, we are puzzled by SNCP's decision; puzzled but not completely | surprised. After all SCO had been desperately trying to find a new financial | backer ever since the August 2007 legal setback against Novell which affirmed | Novell's, rather than SCO's, ownership of the Unix copyrights. This setback | caused SCO to file for bankru...

[News] Judge in SCO Case Seemingly Not Favourable to Microsoft/SCO

[News] The Open Source Way is the Right Way, Implies Microsoft
Open source vet looks inside Microsoft's Sourceforge knockoff ,----[ Quote ] | Somewhat surprisingly, developers are not limited to choosing among | Microsoft's shared source licenses. A perusal of the site shows | projects licensed under the Mozilla Public License, various versions | of Microsoft's shared source licenses and the the GNU General Public | License. `---- http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/columnItem/0,294698,sid39_gci1218137,00.html http://tinyurl.com/qw85g Microsoft hosts GPL-licensed code? Didn't it call it "a cancer"? ...

[News] Linux Foundation to Give Away Money, SCO Running Out of Money
Linux Foundation Announces Open Source Developer Travel Fund ,----[ Quote ] | The new initiative will provide funding to community developers to | attend technical conferences, such as the upcoming Linux | Foundation Collaboration Summit, where meaningful technical | collaboration and development takes place. `---- http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/070501/0246281.html Can SCO dodge another financial bullet? ,----[ Quote ] | Now, with continued poor financial results and major problems with | its two most significant lawsuits -- with Novell and IBM -- SCO | faces yet another financial crisis. `---- ...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft is Borrowing Money While Windows Live Bleeds Money

[News] [Rival] More Companies Poisoned by Microsoft Staff, Microsoft Hires Republicans

[News] [Rival] Fraunhofer Not Only Shills for Microsoft (Again), Now Apparently PAID by Microsoft

Proof that SCO is Microsoft Sock Puppet, Propelled by Funnelled Microsoft Money
While having a currsory look at the Halloween memos, I came across this one: "There you have it. At least a third of SCO's entire market capitalization, and their entire current cash reserves, is payoffs funnelled from Microsoft. Their 10Qs reveal that every other line of cash inflow is statistical noise by comparison. The brave new SCOsource business model is now clear: sue your customers, shill for Microsoft, kite your stock, and pray you stay out of jail." http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween10.html The memos are, in general, worth exploring. They very well demonstr...

[News] Microsoft Tries to Convert "Microsoft Doubters" by Spending Money
INQhack survives Vistability test in Volesville ,----[ Quote ] | The Vole (Microsoft) supposedly invited The INQ over for tea because | we are notorious "Microsoft doubters" - and we were accompanied by | other supposed Vole doubters such as the folk from lifehacker and | a very nice man from Slashdot, as well as some Microsoft MvPs. `---- http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36312 Once again, they are trying to change honest media in order to have everybody write stuff that favours them. They are trying to convert the entire press to cherish the "Microsoft religi...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Natal Made from Bad Components and Microsoft Lies About it Already

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Allegedly Storms More Offices; Pequot Microsoft Corruption Revisited

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Found to Have Pulled an SCO, Microsoft Employees Astroturf in Blogs
SCO was Microsoft's patent warm-up act ,----[ Quote ] | In this case, it looks like SCO was a definite precursor to | Microsoft's patent charade, what with a "right to use" Linux, | covenants not to sue, etc. Meager minds think alike? `---- http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/05/sco_was_microso.html WATCH THE COMMENT: ,----[ Quote ] | Backhanded compliments are always transparent. If you want your blog to | have any credibility at all, you might want to consider putting some | facts in with your opinion. You might also consider putting more of | your ow...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Struggles to Make Money by Suing Users for Money, Even in China!

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Money is Dead (Customers Screwed), Gates Dumps Microsoft Shares

[News] [Rival] Yahoo-Microsoft Blocked in EU, Google Helps Microsoft Lose Money

[News] SCO to Die, Time to Find Microsoft's Role in It and Sue Microsoft?