[News] Pequot Capital Took Staff from Microsoft, Made Money That Way, Paid SCO

"On the same day that CA blasted SCO, Open Source evangelist
Eric Raymond revealed a leaked email from SCO's strategic
consultant Mike Anderer to their management. The email details
how, surprise surprise, Microsoft has arranged virtually all of SCO's
 financing, hiding behind intermediaries like Baystar Capital."

                   --Bruce Perens

SEC settles charges with Pequot firm over insider trading

,----[ Quote ]
| Pequot Capital Management and its chief
| executive, Arthur Samberg, agreed to pay
| $28 million to settle the SEC's charges
| that the firm traded shares of Microsoft
| based on insider information.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/27/AR2010052705351.html?nav=rss_business/industries

"Integral Capital Management" and "Pequot Ventures / Pequot Capital Management"
have been buying huge chunks of SCO stock. There's a pretty short version of
those degrees-of-separation chains leading back to MSFT if you're a conspiracy theorist.

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2003-09-16-016-26-NW-RH-LL&reply=0029&quote=1

Pequot Capital to Shut Amid SEC Insider-Trading Probe (Update2)

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
| in January resumed a probe into whether
| Samberg’s funds illegally profited in 2001
| by trading on inside information about
| Microsoft Corp., people familiar with the
| matter said at the time. That was about a
| year after the agency told Samberg and
| Morgan Stanley Chief Executive Officer John
| Mack they wouldn’t be accused of wrongdoing
| related to insider trading.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=adzQGDVos7OQ&refer=home

SCO's 10K, MyDoom, and the Morgan Keegan letters

,----[ Quote ]
| VSpring Capital (SCO)
| Vector Capital (SCO)
| IDG Ventures (Broadmark)
| Group Atlantic Partners, LLC (Broadmark)
| Paladin Capital Group (Broadmark)
| Pequot Capital (Broadmark)
| Technology Crossover Ventures (Broadmark)
| Ram Capital Resources, LLC (Impact Capital)
| Crestview Capital Fund (Impact Capital)
`----

Finally: Fried Frank, Wachtell on Pequot Insider Trading Settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson
| and Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz played
| key roles brokering a $28 million
| settlement that resolves a long-simmering
| allegation that Pequot Capital Management,
| the Westport-based hedge fund, committed
| insider trading in Microsoft securities in
| 2001, according to SEC officials.
|
| The SEC filed suit against Pequot and its
| chairman, Arthur Samberg, today and
| announced at the same time that Pequot and
| Samberg agreed to pay $28 million combined
| in disgorged profits and penalties to
| settle the case. (They did not admit or
| deny guilt.) Federal investigators had been
| looking into the allegations since at least
| 2005 but closed early investigations after
| failing to find enough evidence to bring a
| case, according to our prior reporting. But
| then something happened that didn't help
| Pequot: The employee at the center of the
| case got divorced, and e-mails implicating
| the employee, David Zilkha, in the insider
| trading scheme came to light in filings.
| Zilkha joined Pequot in 2001 after working
| for Microsoft, and he used his contacts at
| Microsoft to tip Pequot to the fact that
| Microsoft was about to release a better-
| than-expected earnings report in the spring
| of 2001. Pequot then made $14 million on
| trades of Microsoft securities, according
| to the SEC's complaint.
`----

http://amlawdaily.typepad.com/amlawdaily/2010/05/pequotinsidertrading.html

Feds Charge Two In Insider-Trading Plot Involving Disney

,----[ Quote ]
| Wowza. Folks out at Disney’s HQ in Burbank,
| Calif., are probably doing a bit of glassy-
| eyed headshaking on Wednesday, in wake of a
| criminal complaint filed a few hours ago.
|
| The complaint, filed by federal prosecutors
| in Manhattan, has alleged that a former
| administrative assistant to Disney’s head
| of communications and her boyfriend tried
| to sell advance access to the company’s
| second-quarter earnings reports. Click here
| for the WSJ story; here for the criminal
| complaint.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/05/26/feds-charge-two-in-insider-trading-plot-involving-disney/

Related:

Microsoft exec dumped stock prior to Red Ring announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| To make matters more murky, the sales were not registered with the Securities
| and Exchange Commission within the mandatory two days of the transaction, a
| result of an alleged "administrative error." Microsoft has since remedied the
| issue by following the "procedures required of late-filers."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/08/14/microsoft-exec-dumped-stocks-prior-to-red-ring-addresment

Microsoft's Bach sold more stock before Xbox news

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. executive Robbie Bach sold $3 million more in company stock
| during the period leading up to an announcement about a costly flaw in its
| Xbox video game console than previously reported, according to a filing
| Monday with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsofts-bach-sold-additional-stock/story.aspx?guid=%7BBECA3A50-EF33-4161-A111-A43BDC8B0462%7D&siteid=yhoof

Insider Trading Hasn't Affect Microsoft Stock - Yet

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070713/40947_id.html?.v=1

,----[ Quote ]
| A Connecticut divorce judge ordered Tuesday that $250,000 be placed in escrow
| that a hedge fund planned to pay a former Microsoft employee amid a federal
| investigation of possible insider trading.
|
| [...]
|
| The Securities and Exchange Commission earlier this year reopened its probe
| of possible insider trading at Pequot. It's investigating if Pequot traded
| Microsoft Corp.  ( MSFT -  news  -  people ) shares on confidential
| information provided by Zilkha, whom it had hired.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/04/28/ap6351588.html

0
Roy
5/30/2010 11:02:19 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 120661 articles. 14 followers. Post Follow

[News] More Good News for Linux-based Handset Devices
Esmertec And Yuhua TelTech Set New Benchmark With 1-stop Solution For Linux-Based Mobile Devices ,----[ Quote ] | Esmertec announced that Yuhua TelTech, a Chinese Independent Design | House (IDH) for mobile devices, has chosen Esmertec's 1-stop solution | for its Linux-based platform for mobile devices and smart phones. The | platform will be shipped on Linux-based handset devices for the | European and Chinese market at the end of December 2006. `---- http://linux.sys-con.com/read/310276_p.htm Linux is becoming big in China's mobile industry. It is disruptive enough to have had Bal...

[News] [Rival] More Microsoft Lawsuits, Antitrust

Is the a way to find 'X' in Solaris 10 update X ?
Assume I want to determine if a SPARC is running Solaris 10 update 4 or later, how can I do this? I know it's encoded in /etc/release drkirkby@kestrel:[~] $ cat /etc/release Solaris 10 10/08 s10s_u6wos_07b SPARC Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to license terms. Assembled 27 October 2008 with a 'u6' here indicating its update 6, but is there any way of doing this in an unambiguous way on all Suns? With the use of sed/awk/grep etc I could determin...

[News] Zenwalk Linux Pleases Reviewer
Zenwalk 4.8 Review ,----[ Quote ] | I am just in love with xfce based distributions; they are fast, simple and | elegant and Zenwalk is no exception. It has a really good control center and | out-of-box multimedia support. `---- http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/11/zenwalk-48-review.html Related: Releases : Zenwalk 4.8 is ready ,----[ Quote ] | The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce the Zenwalk 4.8 release. | | After several release-candidates, it seems that we are ready for a very | stable release. Overall, testers have found Zenwalk 4.8 the fastest version | ever.   `---- ...

[News] Macs are Great... Linux Boxes
Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX ,----[ Quote ] | An East German company will soon begin selling an IP-PBX setup based | on a Mac Mini running Linux. 4S Newcom's iBlue package comes with an | iPod Shuffle that acts as a boot device for the Mac Mini, plus five | Linux-based VoIP phones. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8680369796.html Linus argues that while the hardware/box looks attractive, it is actually a PITA to work with (its firmware). On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:55:01 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX > > ,----[ Quote ] >| An...

News about SAS
Dear SAS Users, The user acceptance testing period has been completed without any problems reported. Please make sure you do not leave any SAS processes running overnight or scheduled to be run overnight as Darin will be switching us to the new machine tonight or early tomorrow morning. This will be transparent, your usual sas8 and sas6 command will now run on the new machine. If you should get a message asking to validate the 'host' abraham .... just say 'yes'! Happy SAS'ing on our smaller, faster machine.... I will be on vacation tomorrow, please let the help desk kno...

[News] IBM Thinkpads Sold with SUSE Linux, Full Support Included
This relates to Lenovo's recent annoncement. ThinkPad--now with Suse Linux ,----[ Quote ] | In addition, Lenovo will provide Linux support for the laptop, | including drivers and its ThinkVantage technologies found on ThinkPad | loaded with Microsoft's Windows operating system, he said. `---- http://news.com.com/2100-1005_3-6105543.html?part=rss&tag=6105543&subj=news ...

[News] AlwaysOn 100 Innovators Choose MySQL
MySQL Used By Majority Of "AlwaysOn 100" Innovators ,----[ Quote ] | It is no coincidence that the majority of these "Hot 100" start-ups are | using the MySQL open source database to power their IT infrastructure, | Web sites and products. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=26506&hilite= ...

Re: DECnet positively in the news #2
Bob Koehler <koehler@EISNER.NOSPAM.ENCOMPASSERVE.ORG> writes ... >[...] > > You may already be aware of this, but DECnet is available on Linux - > > http://linux-decnet.sourceforge.net/index.html > > DECnet is available on just about everything. I can't remember the > last time I had a system that I couldn't get Phase IV for. (Maybe > it was my DECSYSTEM 20's before Phase IV shipped?) I have some consolation for those not as fortunate as Mr. Koehler (e.g. not as well-funded, or simply lacking the time to install DECnet, or even using so...

[News] Nimblex GNU/Linux Customised for Users via the Web

[News] When You Use Microsoft Windows, You Share Your Desktop with Feds
German government sees itself in good company with online searches ,----[ Quote ] | The spyware then sent information on all internet connections and websites | visited to the FBI, who then arrested the pupil. However, in contrast to the | planned procedure in Germany, CIPAV does not transfer the content of | communications or files. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94988/from/rss09 Related: FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware ,----[ Quote ] | There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we | reported earlier this we...

Have you heard the GOOD NEWS?
http://www3.boxke.net << click link for the good news google_groups_usa@yahoo.com wrote: > <snip> << click link for the good news Someone has created a DWIM compiler? [clicks link] Bill, never mind. -- http://billpg.me.uk/ usenet(at)billpg(dot)me(dot)uk ...

[News] [Linux] Novell Answers Tough Questions on Microsoft IP
Novell sheds (a little) more light on its patent access deal ,----[ Quote ] | Q. How does Microsoft promising not sue Novell customers gives | Novell engineers sanctioned access to Microsoft code? | | [...] | | In fact, I would suggest that the answer to the first question makes it | clear that the patent access granted by the technical collaboration | agreement and the patent covenant not to sue customers are completely | unrelated. | | It certainly appears to be at odds with Steinman's earlier statement: "the | intellectual property agreement provided a foundation for the | in...

LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceding 09-10-07
In today's digest, we have: * Linux Myths Get Broken and Windows Realities Revealed * Novell Gets Greedy (Wants OpenOffice.org for Itself) * [Rival] Resource Hogs and Faulty Computers from Proprietary Vendors * [Rival] Bringing Windows 'Reliability' to People's Health Verdicts * Video: xwinwrap Does Animated Backgrounds in Linux * IBM Chooses Linux in New Google Collaboration * Big New Release for Granular Linux (Granular FunWorks 2007) * Open Source Approach Shows Its Advantage; Radiohead Takes the Open Route * [Rival] The Rob Enderle Bozo Gets ...

Python-URL!
QOTW: "I still want to keep compile time type checking to make sure I don't make any mistakes." "Sounds like you want two wives, but I'm pretty sure polygamy gets a checkbox in the naughty category on Santa's list" -- George Jempty (commenting on "Dear Open Source Santa," by Paul Browne) http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2006/12/dear_open_source_santa.html#comment-384244 "But if you care to give it a closer look, you may understand that Python's main advantage is not seizable by feature and performance charts." -- Soni ...

[News] The MAFIAA and Jammie Thomas Unable to Settle

[News] Open Source Impact in Networking
Getting Over the Love-Hate Dynamic With Open Standards ,----[ Quote ] | While the number of companies installing all-SIP or all-open source | networks continues to grow, it's clear that the overall market | has not gotten over this love-hate relationship with open standards. `---- http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55830.html Still looking for the lockin while peers and customers prefer openness. Open Source Network Configuration Management ,----[ Quote ] | Open source projects have had a significant impact in areas such | as operating systems (Linux), databases (MySQL), web applicat...

[News] Microsoft Munchkinds Are Officially Criminals

quick way of converting seconds to HH:MM:SS ?
i have a number line 457.000 seconds that i need to convert to HH:MM:SS i am doing it the hard way devide/remainer etc. was wondering if clock format or something similar could help ? thanks On 2005-03-30, Mel <mel.m.heravi@hp.com> wrote: > i have a number line 457.000 seconds that i need to convert to HH:MM:SS > > i am doing it the hard way devide/remainer etc. > > was wondering if clock format or something similar could help ? > > thanks > > Well you arent going to beable to convert that to HH:MM:SS but you can convert that to MM:SS.*** since the secon...

Good news and bad news!!
The Bad news is i am an IT Recruiter......The good news is that i have a great role for a developer with strong Python skills. Ideally along with that they will have Java and either an understanding of Agile development or experience in using Ruby. =A335 - =A345k, London Contact me for more information 01189897601 grant@connectionsrecruit.co.uk grant.bodie@gmail.com wrote: > The Bad news is i am an IT Recruiter......The good news is that i have > a great role for a developer with strong Python skills. > > Ideally along with that they will have Java and either an understanding...

[News] Free Software Business Shows Signs of Growth in Bad Economy

[News] GNU/Linux faces challenges as it goes mainstream
Where does Linux go from here? ..---- | Linux is now mainstream -- so mainstream, in fact, that two of | the top three Linux distributions are commercially successful | operations, and the third aims to be. Every day, more and more | old-school IT firms shake off their initial doubts, get in line | behind their customers, and try Linux and other free software | projects. In the face of such success, will Linux remain true to | its free software ideals and to the community which created it? Or | will it morph into a corporate byproduct, driven by the bottom | line, and complacent with all f...

[News] [Rival] Red Hat Takes Switzerland to Court Over Microsoft Corruption

US-CA-Santa Clarita / Chino: Sr. Staff Eng., BA, Active Field or Lab exp, EIT; P (45312832402)
US-CA-Santa Clarita / Chino: Sr. Staff Eng., BA, Active Field or Lab exp, EIT; P (45312832402) ============================================================================================== Position: Sr. Staff Eng. Reference: SMC01421 Location: Santa Clarita / Chin CA Duration: Perm Skills: Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering with Geotechnical specialty (Masters preferred) 1-4 years active field and/or laboratory engineering experience (will consider entry level with excellent academic record). ...

This news group is in violatation of Patents.
Please visit my website, and pay with pay pal for use of this news group, and I will give you a 30 hour license. Cost you only $1000.00 US Flapping lips add-on is $200.00 US The web site address is www.yourscrewed.com. Thank you. There is a hoop for you to jump though up there ^ -- Sinister Midget & Roy Culley == Trolls for trying to silence with insults rather than prove a point or admit to a lie. DFS==Closet homo, why else does he give so many makeup tips to gay guys. On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 08:29 -0700, tab wrote: > Please visit my website, and pay with pay pal > for use of...