[News] [Rival] Another Microsoft Product Drops Like a Fly

Microsoft Kills Response Point Development

,----[ Quote ]
| After weeks of speculation, Microsoft has essentially killed Response Point —
| the company’s former VoIP system for small businesses. According to a
| Microsoft Town Hall meeting today with VARs, the product is in maintenance
| mode with no future releases planned. Sorry for the following comparison, but
| Response Point has become Microsoft’s modern day OS/2. Here’s why.
|
| Alas, Response Point is a product with an eager, niche following that didn’t
| officially die. Instead, Response Point will fade away (quickly, The VAR Guy
| predicts) through maintenance mode support. IBM used the same strategy to
| walk away from OS/2 a decade ago.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/06/30/microsoft-kills-response-point-development/

Against Exchange:

The Bizarre Cathedral - 47

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/bizarre_cathedral_47

Recent:

Microsoft's sidewalk memorial to Encarta, Money and other fossils

,----[ Quote ]
| For anyone who's never been there, the company has this great old courtyard
| in Redmond where for many years it placed plaques in the sidewalk for nearly
| every piece of software it shipped.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/A_memorial_to_Encarta_Money_Bob_and_other_Microsoft_fossils49390432.html

Microsoft Encarta died - why? And will its contents be lost?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has recently announced that its beloved encyclopaedia, Microsoft
| Encarta, will soon be discontinued. After October 31, 2009 its contents will
| no longer be available. Both the online version and the CD ROM version will
| be discontinued.
|
| My first reaction was “what a pity”. My job is to gather and publish good
| contents. I know how much work goes into creating and publishing material.
| This news must have been quite hard to digest for people who have been
| working on Encarta for a while. The two main questions that come to mind,
| however, are: “Why?”, and more importantly, “What about the contents?”
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/fsm_newsletter_12_april_2009_encarta_died

Related:

Microsoft Slaps PC Gamers, Decides to Close Ensemble Studios

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite its legacy of producing some of the very finest strategy games with
| its Age of Empire and Age of Mythology series, Microsoft decided that it
| would be financially disadvantageous to continue to operate the wholly-owned
| Ensemble Studios.
`----

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-ensemble-halo-age-empires,6343.html

Microsoft shuts down Ensemble Studios

http://www.techspot.com/news/31575-microsoft-shuts-down-ensemble-studios.html

Microsoft Burns Down Book Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Citing poor demand, Microsoft will back away from scanning and indexing books
| and academic works for Live Search
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/05/23/microsoft-burns-down-book-search

EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
| Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
| apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
| Zune music player.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9931304-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

MSN Music Debacle Highlights EULA Dangers

,----[ Quote ]
| MSN Music’s EULA is a case in point. When active, MSN Music's webpage touted
| that customers could “choose their device and know its going to work”.
|
| But when customers went to purchase songs, they were shown legalese that
| stated the download service and the content provided were sold without
| warrantee. In other words, Microsoft doesn't promise you that the service or
| the music will work, or that you will always have access to music you bought.
| The flashy advertising promised your music, your way, but the fine print
| said, our way or the highway.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/05/msn-music-debacle-highlights-eula-dangers

When DRM detonates your music collection

,----[ Quote ]
| It is all down to the digital rights management (DRM) software that Microsoft
| has embedded in all its music downloads to combat illegal file-sharing. For
| DRM to work it needs a central computer to keep a live record of who has
| registered which songs to which computers. The problem is that the main
| server is now being turned off as the company wants to sell downloads with a
| new type of DRM. How odd that the old system was marketed as PlaysForSure.
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/the_web/article3898784.ece
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Programmes Keep Dropping Like (Butter)Flies

[News] [Rival] Lack of Funds at Microsoft (Debt-taking) Leading to Death of Another Microsoft Product

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Office 2010 Looks Like Another Ribbon-Like Fiasco (Revenues Down Sharply)

[News] [Rival] Another Microsoft Product Reportedly Dies

[News] [Rival] Another Microsoft Product is Officially Dead: Equipt

[News] [Rival] Another Microsoft Product Dies: Dynamics Mobile

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Kills Yet Another One of Its Products

[News] [Rival] Yet Another Big Microsoft Product Dies

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Keeps Crumbling: Another Product Dies

[News] [Rival] NHS Another Microsoft Failure Story? (Like LSE)

[News] [Rival] Another Microsoft Product Bites the Dust: Office Accounting

[News] [Rival] Linux Occupies Yet Another eReader, Microsoft Gives Up
Android May Power New Barnes & Noble E-Reader ,----[ Quote ] | Reports indicate that another new e- | reader is on the way, this time from | Barnes & Noble. The interesting thing - | or at least the interesting thing that | makes this development connect to the | search industry - is that Barnes & | Noble's e-reader will supposedly use | Android as its operating system. `---- http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/10/09/android-may-power-new-barnes-noble-e-reader PCs are best for e-reading, Microsoft's Ballmer says ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft has no plans to develop a | digital book reader to compete with the | fast-growing popularity of Amazon's | Kindle or a device that rival Apple is | reportedly developing. `---- http://www.reuters.com/article/ousivMolt/idUSTRE5974OZ20091008 Ballmer: Microsoft has no plans for Kindle-like electronic reader http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2009/10/ballmer_microsoft_has_no_plans_for_electronic_reader.html?ana=from_rss Recent: 3G wireless eReader from Irex aims to tackle Amazon's Kindle ,----[ Quote ] | Although the handheld reader will connect to Windows | PCs through the USB port, its underlying platform will | be built on Linux for "open development," he said. `---- http://www.betanews.com/article/3G-wireless-eReader-from-Irex-aims-to-tackle-Amazons-Kindle/1253737925 eReader on Android Soon, Planned for Palm Pre Later ,----[ Quote ] | Google Android handset owners can expect e...

[News] [Rival] Another Class Action Suits Against Microsoft for Its Shoddy Products
Microsoft, Bungie face Halo 3 class action ,----[ Quote ] | The suit claims "Halo 3 does not function with the Xbox 360, and to the | contrary, attempted use of Halo 3 consistently causes the Xbox 360 | to 'crash,' 'freeze,' or 'lock up' while the game is being played." `---- http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15473/1063/ It sounds like Microsoft had brought Windows to the consoles world, not just the embedded one where PDAs need rebooting. Related: Microsoft's Class Action ,----[ Quote ] | Across the country, talent-hungry corporations are tryi...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Kills Another Product, Windows Mobile Dismantled

Web resources about - [News] [Rival] Another Microsoft Product Drops Like a Fly - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message