[News] [Rival] ARM and GNU/Linux a Pair; Intel MIDs and GNU/Linux Likewise

Netbooks: A Subsidized Outcome For Linux And ARM?

,----[ Quote ]
| Cellular service providers are likely to go with ARM/Linux-combo netbook
| designs in striving for lowest-cost hardware (thereby minimizing their
| upfront losses), as well as to reduce the likelihood of viruses, spyware and
| other customer-frustrating (and, don't forget, network bandwidth-consuming)
| annoyances. And the resultant reduced functionality won't be the problem it
| otherwise would be for consumers, both because the cellular service providers
| will position the subsidized offerings primarily as always-online
| communications platforms (web surfing, email, chat, social networking, etc),
| and because the systems' ultra-low price tags will curb purchasers'
| expectations of their capabilities.
`----

http://www.edn.com/blog/400000040/post/1730039773.html

MIDs haven’t made it, but Intel is undaunted

,----[ Quote ]
| What is new is that Intel is getting set to release its Moblin 2 operating
| system for these devices. Moblin is based on Linux (Intel has apparently been
| hiring some noted Linux developers) and it will be distributed by Canonical
| (the Ubuntu people) and Novell. At Mobile World Congress in Barcelona later
| this month, Intel plans to announce several new MIDs–including ones from new
| hardware partners–based on Moblin 2, according to the BusinessWeek story.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=320

Recent:

ARM and Adobe join up

,----[ Quote ]
| Considering some of the most popular websites on the interweb today use FLV
| as a video format for their... uhm... videos, it’s no surprise that Arm and
| Adobe are teaming up to catch the mobile device choo-choo.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/17/arm-adobe-join

ARM Announces Support for Open Handset Alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| ARM has been working with the open Android platform for some time and is
| committed to delivering a rich mobile experience based on the platform. As
| part of this relationship, ARM will contribute its ARMv6 and ARMv7
| architecture-based OpenMax DL libraries and insight on the ARM(R) CPU and ARK
| Mali(TM) GPU architectures to the Android Open Source Project
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/ARM-Announces-Support-Open-Handset/story.aspx?guid=%7B3363CD9A-12B1-441F-B770-1E846316D681%7D

Why Ubuntu on ARM Could be a Rich Seam

,----[ Quote ]
| ARM today announced that the total number of processors shipped by its
| Partners has exceeded ten billion.
|              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| [...]
|
| A Nokia-sponsored project is porting Ubuntu Linux to the ARM architecture.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2008/04/why-ubuntu-on-arm-could-be-rich-seam.html

Superscalar ARM SoC runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Freescale has launched a new Linux-ready system-on-chip (SoC) family based on
| ARM's Cortex-A8 core clocked from 800MHz to 1GHz. The HD-capable i.MX51
| integrates OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenVG 1.1 accelerators, and will be be
| delivered in several variants suitable for specific consumer electronics and
| embedded applications, Freescale says.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4076319239.html?kc=rss

Related:

Microsoft Worried Over Linux Dominance In Embedded Space

,----[ Quote ]
| Renames its family of products to target the embedded market.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/26010/news.htm

Who's afraid of embedded Linux? Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Microsoft is fighting a losing battle here. It's like gravity.
| Eventually you just stop fighting and learn to accept it. Even Microsoft.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9919632-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad
0
newsgroups3 (79677)