[News] [Rival] GNU/Linux Gains from Microsoft's Bricking of Windows XP

Windows update causes Windows XP to freak out

,----[ Quote ]
| So yeah, let’s all move to Linux. Someone
| tell Scott.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/02/12/windows-update-causes-windows-xp-to-freak-out/

Windows XP patch fiasco gets even crazier, Microsoft now scrambling for solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| If you ever needed a reason to go Linux,
| here you go. The noise surrounding this
| patently obscure Windows XP bug / patch
| fiasco has just reached a fever pitch, and
| now we’ve got engineers within Redmond
| scratching their heads, too.
`----

http://www.pricemo.com/laptops/windows-xp-patch-fiasco-gets-even-crazier-microsoft-now-scrambling-for-solutions-45809/

Windows patch causes blue screen of death for some

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-392664.html

MS update gives some XP boxes the Blue Screen

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/11/ms_bsod_update_glitch/

Microsoft Pulls Security Update Blamed For Windows XP Blue Screen Of Death

http://www.crn.com/security/222900208;jsessionid=TXNUS40YH3P2VQE1GHPCKHWATMY32JVN

Rootkit May Be Culprit in Recent Windows Crashes

http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/02/rootkit-may-be-culprit-in-recent-windows-crashes/

Microsoft stops serving Window patch blamed for blue screens

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2010/021210-microsoft-stops-serving-window-patch.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Adobe fixes critical vulnerability in Flash - Update

,----[ Quote ]
| Security updates 10.0.45.2 for the Adobe Flash
| Player and 1.5.3.1930 for AIR fix a critical
| security vulnerability which allows Flash
| applets to circumvent certain security
| functions in order to access other websites
| without obtaining the user's permission. A
| specially crafted Flash file on a malicious web
| page could read data, including banking data or
| similar, displayed in other open browser
| windows.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Adobe-fixes-critical-vulnerability-in-Flash-Update-929060.html

Recent:

Telling the Linux Story

,----[ Quote ]
| So, this morning, I tried something new: with
| a little video capture with RecordMyDesktop
| and a little editing from kdenlive, I was able
| to put together a (very) rough concept of what
| one user's search for Linux just might look
| like.
|
| It was a fun thing to do in just an hour's
| time, and I may donate it as a demo video to
| the Linux Foundation's new We're Linux video
| contest, if they want it. (It's too long for
| the contest, and I would recuse myself from
| participating, anyway.)
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/96170/telling-linux-story

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Microsoft's Linux 'Sellouts' Lose to Truly Free GNU/Linux
The World Series of Linux: Round 1 ,----[ Quote ] | But, clearly, Ubuntu shined. It has earned the right to play in the | championship round of The World Series of Linux. The next round will | determine its opponent, as the RPM Round pits SLED 10, Fedora 7 and PCLinuxOS | to compete to pick the best out of those distributions. `---- http://www.crn.com/software/204802194 Guess who lost here? Xandros and Linspire. Here is OpenSUSE losing: First Kubuntu Impressions ,----[ Quote ] | Well, seems like Kubuntu is the clear winner for professional users and also | for enthusiasts. For begi...

[News] [Rival] Windows/Microsoft's Reputation Wounded, OEMs Pick GNU/Linux

[News] [Linux] Microsoft on Dell's Linux: Vista is Better... Than XP
Dell Backs Open-Source Operating System ,----[ Quote ] | "Dell is one of Microsoft's most valued partners. At the same time, Dell | is a multi-platform company that offers a variety of PC solutions to | meet customer needs," Hauser said in an e-mail to City on a Hill | Press. "We don't anticipate their relationship to affect sales of | Microsoft Vista. Windows Vista is safer, easier to use, more | entertaining and better connected at home, at work and on the go | than any operating system we?ve ever released." | | [...] | | Despite Microsoft's statements, Gun...

[News] It's All the Fault of GNU/Linux... Microsoft's Massive Layoffs

[News] [Linux] Smart Money Talks About Linux Gains at Microsoft's Expense
Linux Stocks Are Riding the Open-Source Comeback ,----[ Quote ] | Long seen as a thorn in Microsoft's side, Linux is an operating system | that is based on the ideas of freedom and collaboration. It opens up its | code so programmers can add or change applications to suit their needs. By | doing so, open source offers a level of customization that proprietary | software like Windows, which keeps its code locked up, never had. `---- http://www.smartmoney.com/Techsmart/index.cfm?story=20070615&afl=yahoo Sorry about the volume that's bound to come on a Saturday. I'll s...

[News] Microsoft's Shillville Starts GNU/Linux Blog, Linux gazette Released

[News] GNU/Linux Saves Windows from Microsoft's Own Mess

[News] IBM's Server Initiative (GNU/Linux) Far Ahead of Microsoft's

[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Latest Antifeature Promotes GNU/Linux

[News] [Rival] It's No Longer Easy for Microsoft to Compete with GNU/Linux

[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Coercion Against GNU/Linux Sub-notebooks

[News] [Rival] Dow Jones on Microsoft's Trouble and the GNU/Linux Threat

[News] [Rival] Google Steals Microsoft's Thunder with Blobs and GNU/Linux

[News] Microsoft's Own Windows Applications Run in GNU/Linux, DOS Also

[News] Microsoft's 'Future' is Linux's Yesterday
Parallel Computing`s Already Here ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft's Craig Mundie is right. Parallel computing is going to change | everything about computing, but his timing is off. Thanks to Linux, it's been | here for years. | | The future is today. | | [...] | | It's not just video though. Supercomputers are made up of MPP arrays of | hundred or even thousands of ordinary Intel or AMD chips running Linux. The | current top supercomputer, the IBM Blue Gene/L system at the Lawrence | Livermore Lab, can hit 478.2 teraflops (trillion calculations per second) | with its tens of thousands of PowerPC processors running Linux. Indeed, 85.2 | percent of the fastest 500 supercomputers in the world run Linux. | | Besides doing things that you won't notice in your day-to-day life, like | busting down the human genome into smaller and more comprehensive pieces and | getting weather prediction closer to a science than an educated guess, almost | every time you watch a movie with digital special effects you're seeing | Linux, multicore processors and parallel processing at work. | | Autodesk's Linux-based digital visual effect program Flame, for example, has | been used in movies from the children's movie "Charlotte's Web" to the | re-launch of James Bond in "Casino Royale" to swashbuckling in "Pirates of | the Caribbean: At World's End" and, of course, science fiction thrillers | like "Fan...

[News] GNU/Linux Community Laughs at Microsoft's 'Community' Promise

[News] Red Hat's GNU/Linux Business Keeps Growing (While Microsoft's Earnings Fall 32%)

[News] [Rival] Windows XP is Dying, Replaced by a Bloated OS, Leading to GNU/Linux Growth

[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Partner ComScore Shows Windows Sinking and Linux Winning in Mobile

[News] Google -- with Market Value Almost on Par with Microsoft's -- Uses GNU/Linux Against Windows

[News] IBM's GNU/Linux and Standards Chief on a Future with GNU/Linux

Web resources about - [News] [Rival] GNU/Linux Gains from Microsoft's Bricking of Windows XP - comp.os.linux.advocacy