[News] [Rival] "Linux" a Forbidden Word After Microsoft's "Jihad" Against It (Bill Gates' Words)

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Internet radio exec: don’t mention Linux!
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Speaking at the launch of the touchscreen Pure Sensia
> | digital radio, director of marketing Colin Crawford was
> | pressed for specifics of the new device’s software. But
> | after his CEO reminded him that the new radio was based on
> | a Linux OS, Crawford remarked: “I don’t like the using the
> | word ‘Linux’ on a radio.”
> |
> | Why did the Scot in the sharp suit go queasy at the very
> | mention of Linux? His reluctance may be borne out of
> | perceived consumer antipathy towards versions of the open-
> | source operating system. PC retailers have largely
> | retreated from Linux-based netbooks following reports of
> | consumer confusion and a marketing onslaught from
> | Microsoft, which has persuaded manufacturers such as
> | netbook pioneer Asus to drop Linux in favour of Windows XP.

Thats lost them vast tons of sales with huge inventory build
up at retailers and huge build up of inventory of CPUs at Intel.

Nobody wants to buy windump netbooks.

Nobody should - its too slow. Its better to learn Linux
than suffocate with a useless windump netbook.
And despite the lies with NPD false statistics and claims
Linux netbooks are still selling 30 - 40% of all netbooks.

The smartbooks are coming and they are under $100 and
windump can never work on it - so Linux is the best option
to learn for them too.

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9791652-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

____/ 7 on Saturday 19 Sep 2009 04:04 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Internet radio exec: don’t mention Linux!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Speaking at the launch of the touchscreen Pure Sensia
>> | digital radio, director of marketing Colin Crawford was
>> | pressed for specifics of the new device’s software. But
>> | after his CEO reminded him that the new radio was based on
>> | a Linux OS, Crawford remarked: “I don’t like the using the
>> | word ‘Linux’ on a radio.”
>> |
>> | Why did the Scot in the sharp suit go queasy at the very
>> | mention of Linux? His reluctance may be borne out of
>> | perceived consumer antipathy towards versions of the open-
>> | source operating system. PC retailers have largely
>> | retreated from Linux-based netbooks following reports of
>> | consumer confusion and a marketing onslaught from
>> | Microsoft, which has persuaded manufacturers such as
>> | netbook pioneer Asus to drop Linux in favour of Windows XP.
>

> Thats lost them vast tons of sales with huge inventory build
> up at retailers and huge build up of inventory of CPUs at Intel.
>
> Nobody wants to buy windump netbooks.
>
> Nobody should - its too slow. Its better to learn Linux
> than suffocate with a useless windump netbook.
> And despite the lies with NPD false statistics and claims
> Linux netbooks are still selling 30 - 40% of all netbooks.
>
> The smartbooks are coming and they are under $100 and
> windump can never work on it - so Linux is the best option
> to learn for them too.

NPD relies on channel-stuffing where it suits it and also measures
_just US supplies_ at particular stores. It has clients; it doesn't
do surveys for 'fun'.

>> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/09/18/internet-radio-exec-dont-mention-
> linux/
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Microsoft's risky, misleading ad campaign
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Campbell's so slick, I wouldn't be surprised to see him out hitting the
>> | campaign trail for Microsoft's OOXML efforts.
>> |
>> | Regardless, there are still uneducated people that think of open source
>> | and Linux as one open-source project as "science projects" and "risky."
>> | Apparently they think it's less risky to give away control of their IT
>> | to a vendor based on a few flashy demos from a sales engineer. They will
>> | learn in time.
>> |
>> | For now, repeat after me: The real risk is in proprietary software.
>> | Period.
>> `----
>>

> http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9791652-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

We aim to please. Ourselves, mostly, but we do aim to please. -- A. DeBoer

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] [Rival] Microsoft's "Incompatible by Design" and "Keep Your Enemies Closer"
Partnering and competing with Microsoft: There’s nothing new under the sun ,----[ Quote ] | Ballmer and Chambers are meeting later today a handful of CIOs who have both | Cisco and Microsoft products installed. They’ll listen to a litany of | complaints, no doubt, about how hard it still is to get Cisco and Microsoft | deliverables to interoperate. Is there anything new under the sun? No — not | in terms of customers wanting vendors to make their lives easier, nor in | terms of vendors promising customers the moon. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=655 Screwing the consume...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft's "Spreading Propaganda", "Self-congratulatory Blather"

[News] [Rival] Why Microsoft Attacks Linux? "It's Their Nature"

"Linux" is a bad word on Microsoft's Xbox Live
http://riverag.com/2007/09/03/the-word-linux-is-inappropriate-in-xbox-live/ "I love Linux and the XBOX 360, so yesterday I tried to include the word "LINUX" in the motto section on XBOX Live. I was stunned when I got a message saying "Your motto contains inappropriate language. Please try again". Come on Microsoft is that really inappropriate? Maybe only to you guys." http://m1.freeshare.us/173fs386516.jpg On 4 Sep, 21:33, AirRaid <AirRaid...@gmail.com> wrote: > http://riverag.com/2007/09/03/the-word-linux-is-inappropriate-in-xbox... > > "I...

[News] Nokia's Linux-based N900 a "resounding success"; Dell's Linux Phone is Reviewed, Coming Soon

[News] [Linux] Microsoft's Anti-Linux Tactics Named "Scareware"
From vapourware to scareware, Microsoft keeps innovating ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft talks a lot about innovation. It innovated the Xbox, several | years after everyone else; it innovated the Zune, several years after | everyone else; it innovated the GUI, several years after Apple (okay, | and Xerox); it innovated Hotmail ... oh, alright, it bought Hotmail. | Bill Gates famously missed the internet revolution and then innovated | the web browser, several years after Netscape. | | [...] | | In the meantime, though, the company that brought us vapourware has | innovated yet another new produc...

[News] [Rival] Interpreting Microsoft's meaning of the word "value"
One of Sweaty's favourite words, but in the context of Microsoft, does it actually mean anything, or is it just marketing gibberish? Microsoft: Buy from us because we are Really Big ..---- | When did Microsoft lose its way and forget that customers look | to it for value, with value being defined as "software solutions | that solve business problems"? Of course Microsoft continues to | push such customer value, but it feels to me that the company | increasingly dilutes this core message with other, specious | measures of value. | | Microsoft hawks intellectual property va...

[News] "Linux is the 'Perfect Match' for India's Requirement"
Delhi VAR Evolves Training Capsule for Linux Usage ,----[ Quote ] | He said Linux is the 'perfect match' for India's requirement and hastened to | add that having developed the products and services, the challenge now is to | take it to growing number of users and growing the incoming revenue. `---- http://www.channeltimes.com/India/News/Delhi_VAR_Evolves_Training_Capsule_for_Linux_Usage/551-83436-741.html http://tinyurl.com/3x9972 Related: Free software made mandatory: IT practicals of SSLC Exam ,----[ Quote ] | The Director of Public Instruction (DPI) has issued orders...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft's CEO Uses "Gorilla Dust" Against Linux
Spoutin' Off: Microsoft is more about dominance than quality ,----[ Quote ] | One of these days, I hope to gain some insight into the mind of | Steve Ballmer, the CEO of Microsoft. For years I've been trying | to understand why these guys continue to pursue their goal of | virtual global domination instead of just becoming a valued and | trusted member of the greater wired community. | | [...] | | Their accusation could be what my old pal Ross Perot used to call | "gorilla dust." This refers to the way a great ape will throw dirt | and debris into the air during a fight t...

There's "Unix", and then there's "UNIX(r)"
From TOW[1]: The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems compliant with its standard, the Single UNIX Specification. Other operating systems that emulate Unix to some extent may be called Unix-like, although the Open Group disapproves of this term.[4] The term Unix is also often used informally to denote any operating system that closely resembles the trademarked system. The most common version of Unix (bearing certification) is Apple's OS X, while Linux is the most popular non-certified workalike. So, to summarize: "Unix" is a class of operating systems that is "UNIX-like", which includes Linux. "UNIX(r)" is a trademark of the Open group, who -- somewhat snootily -- have an issue with the term "UNIX-like". (They can take a flying fsck.) "Cult of Unix" spells "Unix" as "Unix", because otherwise, what would it have to do with Linux? This PSA brought to you by the letter "U" and the number "2". -v Unix minions, unite! On 2/9/14, 1:15 PM, in article ld8nlg$bu7$1@dont-email.me, "vallor" <vallor@cultnix.org> wrote: > From TOW[1]: > > The Open Group, an industry standards consortium, now owns the UNIX > trademark and allows its use for certified operating systems > compliant with its standard, the Single UN...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Has "Critical", "Critical", "Critical", "Critical", "Critical", and "Critical" Flaw

Dijkstra's "Enumeration" = "Metrics" his "Abstraction" = "Quality"
"Enumerative reasoning is only an adequate mental tool under the severe boundary condition that we only use it very moderately. We should appreciate abstraction as our main mental technique to reduce the demands made upon enumerative reasoning." ~ EW Dijkstra This is critically decisive because Dijkstra is saying that in most *software engineering" contexts, most of the time, abstraction is key relative to "metrics", the numerical, the quantitative. It is a TOWWWEEERRRING, grand slam "home run". It is of Doug William's 3-4 perfectly pitched Super Bowl touchdowns. It is growth in insight after Dijkstra one of THE very best ran into major impasses attempting to drive development with metrics. His insight is that ABSTRACTION should "lead" the way. While there is the dialectic: metrics<=>abstraction The predominant factor to engage and lead software engineering by is "abstraction". So notation wise better: metrics<=>abstraction* And to denote analyzing or summarizing the dialectic applied in whatever context, from point 'a' to 'b': a,b{ metrics<=>abstraction* Discrete points: a,b; l,q{ metrics<=>abstraction* Have at your own meaningful fun! Elliott -- Global Plans + IID = part of an optimal approach On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:36:17 -0500, "Universe" <universe@tAkEcovadOuT.net> wrote: >"Enumerative reasoning is only an adequate mental tool und...

[News] On Microsoft's "Zealot" and "Religion" Slur Against FOSS
The Journalist Who Came in From the Cold ,----[ Quote ] | Is this is new position in Novell? If it is, why does a Linux company need an | evangelist? Isn't evangelism implied in the choice of services and product | offerings? | | Well, it was originally called "Linux evangelist," but really, that | didn't quite fit the bill, which is why the title was changed to openSUSE | community manager, to better reflect what I'll be doing. Plus, I'm not | crazy about the "evangelist" label. Too often, Linux advocates are | derisively refer...

[News] [Rival] Joe Wilcox Calls Microsoft's Docs.com "the Surest Sign yet of Microsoft's Defeat"

[News] [Rival] Microsoft: No, it's not spyware, it's another Vista "bug"
Microsoft Responds to Re-discovery of Vista Network Slowdowns http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_Responds_to_Rediscovery_of_Vista_Network_Slowdowns/1188244273 Another Vista 'feature' or yet another bug? http://anwarvazquez.blogspot.com/2007/08/vista-494mb-in-error-files.html Related: "Mommy, it's broken." 2 weeks with Vista ,----[ Quote ] | After 5 years of development, Vista still isn't ready for prime time. | It's like taking a car without an engine and putting a new coat of | paint on it. Sure it looks pretty, but it still doesn't work. I woul...

[why are trailing '\n's missing in "$x"]: x="$(printf "hi\n\n")"; printf "$x"
Ex ~ $ printf "hi\n\n"|cat -A hi$ $ ~ $ x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" ~ $ printf "$x"|cat -A hi~ $ Why are the trailing '\n's not in "$x"? Is there any way to stop this, w/o using a tempfile? -- thanks! On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: > x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" Best regards, Cyrus In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >> x="$(printf "hi\n\n")" > >x="$(printf "%s" "hi\n\n")" > >Best regards, >Cyrus Which is, at best, a pedantic nitpick, having nothing to do with OP's problem. In fact, ITYM: x="$(printf "%s\n\n" "hi")" (which still doesn't solve OP's problem, but at least demonstrates better pedantry) -- Watching ConservaLoons playing with statistics and facts is like watching a newborn play with a computer. Endlessly amusing, but totally unproductive. On 12/30/2013 12:00 AM, Kenny McCormack wrote: > In article <bibnk6Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>, > Cyrus Kriticos <cyrus.kriticos@googlemail.com> wrote: >> On 12/29/2013 11:34 PM, Name withheld by request wrote: >>> x="...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft's 'Latest Spinoff' is a $Billion Patent Troll (or "Patent Terrorist")
Who is the world's biggest patent troll? ,----[ Quote ] | In two consecutive days, The Wall Street Journal presented two different | answers. The first is not surprising: Intellectual Ventures, the brainchild | of ex-Microsoft executive Nathan Myhrvold. It's now out "to raise as much as | $1 billion to help develop and patent inventions, many of them from | universities in Asia." `---- http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9816163-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20 Related: Microsoft director out to 'debunk mythology around open source' ,--...

If this is "Linux Advocacy" what's up with all of the Microsoft topics being posted?
WTF??? Where exactly is the "Linux Advocacy" in any of this? Another Call for Sacking/Changing of Microsoft Management Microsoft/MSN Press Attacks Vista, Microsoft Trashes XP Microsoft XBox 360 Implosion Microsoft Admits Struggling in Google's Turf Microsoft Still Covets Yahoo and Negotiates Microsoft Afraid of Free Software, Pompous Patent Troll Myhrvold Awaits India Files an Appeal Against Microsoft OOXML!!! Windows 7apourware is Vista-level Disaster All Over Again Another Microsoft General Manager Jumps Sheep [sic] Microsoft/Novell's Risk with Moonlight Gargbage How Mi...

why "::", not "."

Spamowitz's bullshit on censorious Dietrich's site: "Why Advocacy of Linux Must Not Tolerate Censorship"
http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/03/why-advocacy-of-linux-must-not-tolerate.html First off, the owner of this site - Dietrich Schmitz - is a censorious chump who bans people left and right from his Google+ site. Who does he think he's fooling by running such an article? A thousand to one if you post a dissenting comment /anywhere/ on www.linuxadvocates.com., on any article, it will be removed. And the author, Dr. Roy Spamowitz, is a hypocrite fool as well. He bemoans the use of the terms 'trolls' and 'shills', both of which are terms he used hundreds of times here on cola. Today, Spamowitz continues to use 'shills': http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Search&ns0=1&redirs=1&search=shills&limit=20&offset=0 His use of 'trolls' appears to be limited to 'patent trolls' but not always: http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Search&limit=20&offset=20&ns0=1&redirs=0&search=trolls Bottom line: a hypocritical article written by a hypocrite and hosted on a site run by a censorious hypocrite. On 3/28/13 6:23 PM, in article kj2qb6$jh2$1@dont-email.me, "DFS" <nospam@dfs.com> wrote: > http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/03/why-advocacy-of-linux-must-not-tolerate. > html > > First off, the owner of this site - Dietrich Schmitz - is a censorious > chump who bans people left and right from his Goo...

about "++" and "--"

"out" and "in out"

"Heroes" again, or "Linux in the Wild" or "Linux on TV", this time with screenshots
Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 Linux in the wild. What more proof do you need? later... -- JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com | http://www.newtnotes.com DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/ JDS wrote: > Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the > KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" > > http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 ...

Why doesn't Python's "robotparser" like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file?
For some reason, Python's parser for "robots.txt" files doesn't like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file: >>> import robotparser >>> url = 'http://wikipedia.org/robots.txt' >>> chk = robotparser.RobotFileParser() >>> chk.set_url(url) >>> chk.read() >>> testurl = 'http://wikipedia.org' >>> chk.can_fetch('Mozilla', testurl) False >>> The Wikipedia robots.txt file passes robots.txt validation, and it doesn't disallow unknown browsers. But the Python pars...

Web resources about - [News] [Rival] "Linux" a Forbidden Word After Microsoft's "Jihad" Against It (Bill Gates' Words) - comp.os.linux.advocacy