[News] [Rival] Microsoft Zune Failed, Windows Mobile Just Renamed

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Microsoft's Zune Misstep Marks the Gadget Road Not Taken

,----[ Quote ]
| The Zune's failure sent the company down a
| very different path than Apple's. Jobs & Co.
| were able to use the iPod's success to launch
| the iPhone, and now the iPad. Microsoft's
| mobile OS has struggled against the mobile
| operating system Apple uses, probably because
| Redmond never had a cell phone of its own to
| carry Windows Mobile as a follow-on product
| to the Zune.
`----

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/company-news/microsofts-zune-misstep-marks-the-gadget-road-not-taken/19424133/

Microsoft Kills Windows Phone 7's Series

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is not very confident about the
| coolness of the name of its newest operating
| system for mobile phones named Windows Phone
| 7 Series. The coolest name would have been
| WP7S! But Microsoft has decided to chop the
| word 'series' from the 'Windows Phone 7
| Series'. The phone will now be called Windows
| Phone 7.
`----

http://www.katonda.com/blog/961/microsoft-kills-windows-phone-7-series

Recent:

Report: Microsoft Sued Over Zune Tagging

http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id=1746800&spid=24698

A Software Bug may Kill You

,----[ Quote ]
| In 1991, during the Gulf war, American
| Patriot missile was deployed to combat
| Iraqi scud missile. In one of the incident,
| Patriot missile missed the Scud and that
| resulted the death of 28 American soldiers
| and 100 others got injured. There was an
| arithmetic error during calculation which
| resulted inaccurate calculation since Boot.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft’s Zune player stopped working on
| December 31, 2008 because of a simple
| software bug. The software was written in
| such a way that it would never terminate if
| the year is leap year and the total number
| of days is 366.
`----

http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/a-software-bug-may-kill-you/

Microsoft investigating disappearing music from Zune Pass

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a post on the Zune Forums, owners
| of the Zune Pass are having a bit of trouble
| accessing the music they're paying for with
| their subscription, as first reported by
| Engadget. In less than two weeks, the thread
| in question has passed 50 replies as users
| complain and list what they can no longer
| access: specific songs, entire albums, or even
| everything produced by an artist.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2010/02/microsoft-investigating-disappearing-music-from-zune-pass.ars

0
Reply Roy 4/6/2010 6:17:27 AM

See related articles to this posting

comp.os.linux.advocacy 118973 articles. 13 followers. Post

[News] [Rival] More Evidence of Back Doors in Windows Mobile, Not Just Windows
Cryptome: NSA has access to Windows Mobile smartphones ,----[ Quote ] | First time in history Cryptome.org has released information about the | characteristics of NSA’s network surveillance. `---- http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1028 And Microsoft has just confirmed that there's a errr.... 'bug'. Microsoft confirms that XP contains random number generator bug ,----[ Quote ] | As recently as last Friday, Microsoft hedged in answering questions about | whether XP and Vista could be attacked in the same way, saying only that | later versions of Windows "co...

[News] [Rival] What Microsoft Touches Microsoft Kills... T-Mobile Dumps Sidekick After Windows Meltdown

[News] [Rival] Microsoft's IE Mobile Behind the Competition, More Bail Out of Windows Mobile

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Zombies Make More Microsoft Windows SPAM
New spam botnet leaves Storm for dead ,----[ Quote ] | According to Marshal, more than 70 percent of spam is generated by five | botnets. `---- http://www.itwire.com/content/view/16419/1054/ Quote for the day: "The threat to cancel Mac Office 97 is certainly the strongest bargaining point we have, as doing so will do a great deal of harm to Apple immediately. I also believe that Apple is taking this threat pretty seriously."                                 --Ben Waldman, Microsoft manager Related...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft is Killing Windows Mobile

[News] [Rival] BetaWeek to Microsoft: Trash Windows Mobile

[News] [Rival] Godin: Microsoft Failed Twice with Windows
The little book that says "quit" ,----[ Quote ] | I you have a shot at being number one then it's worth "leaning into the | dip" says Godin. He cites Microsoft Corp., which he says failed twice | with Windows, four times with Word and three times with Excel but | slogged through the difficult dip to success. `---- http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070623/books_dip.html?.v=1 Vista: The train wreck that keeps on delivering ,----[ Quote ] | Ah, where do I start? `---- http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/06/vista-train-wreck-that-keeps-on.html In article <1581586.5a1EkHkDu...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Munchkin: Windows Mobile Is In Trouble

[News] [Rival] Even Microsoft is Giving up on Windows Mobile

[News] [Rival] CNETSoft to Microsoft: Kill Windows Mobile

[News] [Rival] Zune Fail: Microsoft Ships Broken Software

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Analyst Thinks Windows Mobile is Doomed

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Mobile Shows Signs of Dying

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Admits Windows Mobile Stinks in the Market (Again)

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows Hijacked Within Just Minutes

[News] [Rival] Microsoft is Big Brother, Windows Just a Sieve
Microsoft device helps police pluck evidence from cyberscene of crime ,----[ Quote ] | Microsoft has developed a small plug-in device that investigators can use to | quickly extract forensic data from computers that may have been used in | crimes. `---- http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/microsoft/2004379751_msftlaw29.html No wonder military operations around the world quietly move to GNU/Linux. Related: ,----[ Quote ] | "Is this a good idea or not? For the first time, the giant software maker | is acknowledging the help of the secretive agency, better known for | eavesdropp...

[News] [Rival] More Than Just Windows Mobile is Broken by 2010 Bugs

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Window (Not Just Vista) a Lost Cause
Is Microsoft Windows Doomed? ,----[ Quote | Let’s face it. Windows Vista is not going as planned for Microsoft. If | Microsoft doesn’t make significant changes to Windows, it very well may be | doomed. `---- http://electrogeek.com/blog/2008/04/14/is-microsoft-windows-doomed/ The "Save XP" petition count update http://weblog.infoworld.com/save-xp/archives/2008/04/sign_the_save_x.html "We should dedicate a cross-group team to come up with ways to leverage Windows technically more."                         &...

[News] [Rival] Windows Mobile is Dead, Dead, Dead (Like Microsoft)

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Knowingly Leaves Windows Vulnerable (Not Just to FBI)

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Kills Another Product, Windows Mobile Dismantled

[News] [Rival] Microsoft CEO: We Screwed up with Windows Mobile (Vista 7 to be Same)

[News] [Rival] More Microsoft Cockups: XBox/Zune, Windows Vista SP1
You Call To Cancel Your Zune Account, Microsoft Deactivates XBOX Live ,----[ Quote ] | After he called Microsoft to cancel his Zune account, reader Will noticed | that his XBOX Live account was suddenly silver instead of gold. `---- http://consumerist.com/376110/you-call-to-cancel-your-zune-account-microsoft-deactivates-xbox-live Microsoft Succeeds in Making Vista Even Worse ,----[ Quote ] | Windows Vista is already perhaps the most frustrating product Microsoft has | yet heaved onto the computing public. But now its Service Pack 1 update, | which is supposed to FIX holes and squeaks i...

[News] [Rival] Microsoft Tried to Get Amazon/Windows Lockin (and Luckily Failed)
Amazon.com to Launch Digital Music Store ,----[ Quote ] | At a gathering of corporate chief executives at Microsoft's | headquarters Wednesday, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer asked Amazon | CEO Jeff Bezos if the online retailer would sell music in | Microsoft's Windows Media Audio format. `---- http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070516/amazon_com_music_store.html?.v=15 Amazon.com CTO to Keynote at Next-Generation Data Center ,----[ Quote ] | World Expo has announced that Werner Vogels, vice president and | chief technology officer at Amazon.com, will kick-off a combined | line-up of keynote addr...