[News] [Rival] Problem with Windows Vista Listed, Man Threatens to Sue over Windows XP Problems

5 Mistakes Microsoft made with Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Let me outline those 5 mistakes Microsoft made with the Windows Vista launch
| and talk about how Microsoft might be able to keep Windows Vista from being a
| sequel to Windows ME.
`----

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41979

Customer wants to sue the inventor of Windows XP.

,----[ Quote ]
| When I worked for a Norwegian ISP I got my hands on a really funny email from
| an angry customer who doesn’t know too much about computers.
`----

http://greenshinobi.wordpress.com/2007/08/15/customer-wants-to-sue-the-inventor-of-windows-xp/

Yesterday:

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems as if the Dutch are tired of Microsoft's finest breaking all the
| time, and they've set up a hotline for consumers complaining about Windows
| Vista.
|
| [..]
|
| Apparently the Consumentenbond (Office of Fair Trading) is vastly unimpressed
| by the fact that it's difficult to buy a new computer without Windows Vista,
| and that the very same operating system causes such a high number of
| problems, which the average user is not equipped to deal with.
|
| If the Consumentenbond finds that too many people are having problems with
| Windows Vista, it may elect to start legal proceedings against Microsoft.
`----

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/general/hasta_la_vista,_baby

Related:

Judge Says 'Windows Vista Capable' Lawsuit Can Proceed

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal judge has ruled that two consumers can proceed with a lawsuit that
| claims Microsoft's "Windows Vista Capable" campaign was misleading.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201305528&subSection=All+Stories

Why Linux Will Turn Microsoft's Ballmer Into A Boy Named Sue

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is between a rock and a hard place. Google is eating its
| lunch on the Internet, and big PC vendors like Dell are warming up
| to Linux. What to do? Sue, Sue, Sue.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/05/why_linux_will.html
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

<newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
 wrote
on Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:38:55 +0100
<1349028.7XbVrfycgC@schestowitz.com>:
> 5 Mistakes Microsoft made with Windows Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Let me outline those 5 mistakes Microsoft made with the
> | Windows Vista launch and talk about how Microsoft might
> | be able to keep Windows Vista from being a sequel to Windows ME.
> `----
>
> http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41979

1. UAC stupidity.
2. Drivers not ready.
3. Start menu list not wide enough, cutting of Microsoft's
   tool names (many of which begin with "Microsoft Office").
4. Horrible desktop performance on operations such as copying and
   zipping.
5. Upgrade pricing is a joke.

However, Vista cannot be a sequel to WinME as Vista is a
complete partial rewrite of the XP modifications to the
Windows 2000 modifications to the Windows NT kernel.
That's totally different than WinME being a tweak to the
Win98 tweaks of the Win95 kernel.  Or maybe not.  Wait...
what were we discussing again? ;-)

> Customer wants to sue the inventor of Windows XP.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | When I worked for a Norwegian ISP I got my hands on a really
> | funny email from an angry customer who doesn?t know too much
> | about computers.
> `----
>
> http://greenshinobi.wordpress.com/2007/08/15/customer-wants-to-sue-the-inventor-of-windows-xp/

Ow.  Mind you, I'm not sure Microsoft knows too much about licensing.

> Yesterday:
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | It seems as if the Dutch are tired of Microsoft's finest breaking all the
> | time, and they've set up a hotline for consumers complaining about Windows
> | Vista.
> |
> | [..]
> |
> | Apparently the Consumentenbond (Office of Fair Trading) is vastly unimpressed
> | by the fact that it's difficult to buy a new computer without Windows Vista,
> | and that the very same operating system causes such a high number of
> | problems, which the average user is not equipped to deal with.
> |
> | If the Consumentenbond finds that too many people are having problems with
> | Windows Vista, it may elect to start legal proceedings against Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/general/hasta_la_vista,_baby

<voice identity="marvin" actor="paranoid android">
Oh no, not another one.
</voice>

> Related:
>
> Judge Says 'Windows Vista Capable' Lawsuit Can Proceed
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A federal judge has ruled that two consumers can proceed with a lawsuit that
> | claims Microsoft's "Windows Vista Capable" campaign was misleading.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201305528&subSection=All+Stories

Hmm...yes, this could get messy, depending on how
literal-minded the participants are.  After all, a 486
with 8 MB or 16 MB RAM is Linux-capable, but one wouldn't
seriously want to run Gnome or KDE on it nowadays,
though it would run X tolerably well.  The distinctions
in the Vista case are vaguely similar; the Vista kernel
will probably run on that 486, too, though nothing else
will. :-)

Now Aero, on the other hand, probably uses up 1.5 GB of
RAM, needs oodles of CPU to compute all of those beautiful
objects, and looks, well, OK, I suppose that depends on
how one defines "gorgeous".  After all, if it's 2 in the
morning and it's dark enough, even a rock starts to look
pretty good.

> Why Linux Will Turn Microsoft's Ballmer Into A Boy Named Sue
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft is between a rock and a hard place. Google is eating its
> | lunch on the Internet, and big PC vendors like Dell are warming up
> | to Linux. What to do? Sue, Sue, Sue.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/05/why_linux_will.html

Well, yeah.  Can't be too careful if Linux is stealing
patents, now, can we?  Of course, one would hope that they
can identify them in open court first.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Useless C++ Programming Idea #992381111:
while(bit&BITMASK) ;

ewill5 (11075)
8/16/2007 4:45:49 PM
The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

>3. Start menu list not wide enough, cutting of Microsoft's
>   tool names (many of which begin with "Microsoft Office").

They do love to blow their own horn, don't they?

0
chrisv (22840)
8/16/2007 5:24:23 PM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
<chrisv@nospam.invalid>
 wrote
on Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:24:23 -0500
<h129c3tvbufpogjiq3bvnl3br6qt7judpr@4ax.com>:
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>>3. Start menu list not wide enough, cutting of Microsoft's
>>   tool names (many of which begin with "Microsoft Office").
>
> They do love to blow their own horn, don't they?

Ah, they might blame that one on the courts.  After all,
had they been able to trademark "Windows", "Office",
etc. they could have shortened them, right? ;-)

Then again, ISTR a similar issue when the isys "Hall of
Shame" site was still up.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }

ewill5 (11075)
8/16/2007 7:24:23 PM
On Aug 16, 7:38 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@schestowitz.com>
wrote:
> 5 Mistakes Microsoft made with Windows Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Let me outline those 5 mistakes Microsoft made with the Windows Vista launch
> | and talk about how Microsoft might be able to keep Windows Vista from being a
> | sequel to Windows ME.
> `----
>
> http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=41979

These five mistakes are great, but you missed one...  I upgraded a
Vista machine from 1GB to 2GB of RAM, and it deactivated itself!  BTW
it takes over an hour and at least 4 tech people to reactivate
Windopes Pista.
Then let's talk about this jackhole's conclusion, he listed all the
rest of windoze pista's features that actually seperate it from xp!
His last sentence should have read:

Which is a shame because Windows Vista is really [the same as the
others]. On a scale from 1 to 10, if Windows 98 was a 4, Windows ME a
3, Windows 2000 [really a 5] and Windows XP [really a 5.5] then
Windows Vista is easily an [3, because it's way more broken than XP].
It's a worthy and significant [piece of what comes out of the south
end of a kangaroo]. It deserves [to be taken out and shot in the
streets]. [Microsoft is going to release Service Pack 1, but, it
doesn't look good].

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 16 August 2007 20:24 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
> <chrisv@nospam.invalid>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:24:23 -0500
> <h129c3tvbufpogjiq3bvnl3br6qt7judpr@4ax.com>:
>> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>>>3. Start menu list not wide enough, cutting of Microsoft's
>>>   tool names (many of which begin with "Microsoft Office").
>>
>> They do love to blow their own horn, don't they?
>>

> Ah, they might blame that one on the courts.  After all,
> had they been able to trademark "Windows", "Office",
> etc. they could have shortened them, right? ;-)
>
> Then again, ISTR a similar issue when the isys "Hall of
> Shame" site was still up.

Apparently, the "office" in "office suite" now belongs to Microsoft. Sun had to
rename OpenOffice OpenOffice.org. Microsoft also tried to own the
word "windows", never mind "X windows". How about Linspire? They paid them $20
million to stop the use of the word "Lindows". They later paid them another
$20 million to call it a day and just run out of (Linux) business.

Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony resigns

,----[ Quote ]
| Carmony also said his resignation, contrary to some rumors, had nothing to do
| with any disagreement with Linspire's primary owner Michael Robertson, or
| with fallout from either of Linspire's recent deals with Microsoft, which
| covered technology licensing and patent indemnification.
|
| Carmony joined Linspire, then known as "Lindows," in June of 2001 to become
| its president. Later, he became the company's CEO.
`----

Later on, SJVN spoke about what appears like "an executive exodus" at Linspire.
They got their money and now they go elsewhere. Microsoft paid to decommission
a rival. This must be investigated (but it won't because Microsoft is above
the law).

--
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread
Swap:  1510068k total,   724884k used,   785184k free,    51544k cached
newsgroups3 (79677)
8/17/2007 3:14:38 AM
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 04:14:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 16 August 2007 20:24 : \____
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
>> <chrisv@nospam.invalid>
>>  wrote
>> on Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:24:23 -0500
>> <h129c3tvbufpogjiq3bvnl3br6qt7judpr@4ax.com>:

>>> They do love to blow their own horn, don't they?
>>>

>> Ah, they might blame that one on the courts.  After all,
>> had they been able to trademark "Windows", "Office",
>> etc. they could have shortened them, right? ;-)
>>
>> Then again, ISTR a similar issue when the isys "Hall of
>> Shame" site was still up.
>
> Apparently, the "office" in "office suite" now belongs to Microsoft. Sun had to
> rename OpenOffice OpenOffice.org. Microsoft also tried to own the

That had nothing to do with MS. There was already an office suite called
'Open Office', so naturally Oo.org had to be called something else. That's
how it works.

> word "windows", never mind "X windows". How about Linspire? They paid them $20
> million to stop the use of the word "Lindows". They later paid them another
> $20 million to call it a day and just run out of (Linux) business.
>
> Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony resigns
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Carmony also said his resignation, contrary to some rumors, had nothing to do
> | with any disagreement with Linspire's primary owner Michael Robertson, or
> | with fallout from either of Linspire's recent deals with Microsoft, which
> | covered technology licensing and patent indemnification. �
> |
> | Carmony joined Linspire, then known as "Lindows," in June of 2001 to become
> | its president. Later, he became the company's CEO. �
> `----
>
> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8364062244.html
>
> Later on, SJVN spoke about what appears like "an executive exodus" at Linspire.
> They got their money and now they go elsewhere. Microsoft paid to decommission
> a rival. This must be investigated (but it won't because Microsoft is above
> the law).

Linspire wasn't much of a rival to MS. I doubt any of this is true.

--
Kier

0
vallon (8614)
8/17/2007 8:59:42 AM
____/ Kier on Friday 17 August 2007 09:59 : \____

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 04:14:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 16 August 2007 20:24 : \____
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
>>> <chrisv@nospam.invalid>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Thu, 16 Aug 2007 12:24:23 -0500

>>> Ah, they might blame that one on the courts.  After all,
>>> had they been able to trademark "Windows", "Office",
>>> etc. they could have shortened them, right? ;-)
>>>
>>> Then again, ISTR a similar issue when the isys "Hall of
>>> Shame" site was still up.
>>
>> Apparently, the "office" in "office suite" now belongs to Microsoft. Sun had
>> to rename OpenOffice OpenOffice.org. Microsoft also tried to own the
>
> That had nothing to do with MS. There was already an office suite called
> 'Open Office', so naturally Oo.org had to be called something else. That's
> how it works.
>
>> word "windows", never mind "X windows". How about Linspire? They paid them
>> $20 million to stop the use of the word "Lindows". They later paid them
>> another $20 million to call it a day and just run out of (Linux) business.
>>
>> Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony resigns
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Carmony also said his resignation, contrary to some rumors, had nothing to
>> | do with any disagreement with Linspire's primary owner Michael Robertson,
>> | or with fallout from either of Linspire's recent deals with Microsoft,
>> | which covered technology licensing and patent indemnification.
>> |
>> | Carmony joined Linspire, then known as "Lindows," in June of 2001 to
>> | become its president. Later, he became the company's CEO.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS8364062244.html
>>
>> Later on, SJVN spoke about what appears like "an executive exodus" at
>> Linspire. They got their money and now they go elsewhere. Microsoft paid to
>> decommission a rival. This must be investigated (but it won't because
>> Microsoft is above the law).
>
> Linspire wasn't much of a rival to MS. I doubt any of this is true.

CNR had potential. It was open-sourced not so long ago. So while Lispire was
not a great risk, it was a code factory that /began/ to help others _a little
bit_. ;-)

--
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows leaves me peckish
 13:20:01 up 10 days, 16:13,  5 users,  load average: 1.40, 1.59, 1.91
newsgroups3 (79677)