f



[News] Songbird (for Linux) Looks Like iTunes, OpenOffice.org Resembles Microsoft Office

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

A Review of Songbird.

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I can say for sure that this will be one of the most popular music 
| players in the future. I do wish this player had iPod support and would be 
| able to add on to the iPod from playlists, though if that did happen I would 
| not use Rhythmbox anymore. The player looks a lot like iTunes which I used 
| before hand before I went to Linux and all of my fun distributions I have 
| tried.     
`----

http://ryanorser.com/?p=407

90 things that are the same in Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| I've put together three articles, showing tasks that are the same between 
| Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org. 
`----

http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/2008/06/90-things-that-are-the-same-in-microsoft-office-and-openofficeorg.html


Recent:

LV: City council to provide OpenOffice courses

,----[ Quote ]
| The city council of Ogre is providing free training for OpenOffice, an Open
| Source suite of office applications, to improve the competitiveness of the
| local businesses and boost the performance of the local government.
|
| Ogre, a town with some 27,000 inhabitants is about 30 km southeast of
| Latvia's capital Riga.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7578/469


The Fall of Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| On the same day that the state of New York published a report supporting open
| formats for electronic documents, mighty Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) said that
| it would support the open-source ODF format in Office 2007. Redmond's own
| Open Office XML specification may be heading for the great Recycle Bin in the
| sky, never to come back.
|
| [...]
|
| I can't say that Google or Sun or anybody else just won a bigger share of the
| office software market, and if they did, it won't help their revenue or
| profits directly anyway. But it's clear as day that Microsoft just took a
| serious hit, and the impact may take a long time to make itself felt but it
| will come.
`----

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/05/27/the-fall-of-microsoft-office.aspx


Is Microsoft Office in trouble?

,----[ Quote ]
| And, now Microsoft isn't hurrying to support its own format, but it is moving
| to support PDF and ODF... Could it be that all those copies of Office 2007
| Microsoft boasts of selling are collecting dust at reseller and retailer
| warehouses instead of being used on office systems? Could users be sticking
| with their older copies of Office and when they do want to move to something
| newer, they're moving to OpenOffice and Google instead?
|
| Interesting isn't it?
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_microsoft_office_in_trouble


Microsoft can’t support Open XML

,----[ Quote ]
| If Microsoft can’t give users a compelling reason to switch from their old
| version of Office to Office 14 their cash-flow is going to slow down
| considerably.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/business/microsoft-cant-support-open-xml/


Is Office the new Netscape?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the cornerstones of Microsoft's competitive strategy over the years
| has been to redefine competitors' products as features of its own products.
| Whenever some upstart PC software company started to get traction with a new
| application - the Netscape browser is the most famous example - Microsoft
| would incorporate a version of the application into its Office suite or
| Windows operating system, eroding the market for the application as a
| standalone product and starving its rival of economic oxygen (ie, cash). It
| was an effective strategy as well as a controversial one.      
|
| Now, though, the tables may be turning. Google is trying to pull a Microsoft
| on Microsoft by redefining core personal-productivity applications -
| calendars. word processing, spreadsheets, etc. - as features embedded in
| other products. There's a twist, though. Rather than just incorporating the  
| applications as features in its own products, Google is offering them up to
| other companies, particularly big IT vendors, to incorporate as features in
| their products.      
`----

http://www.roughtype.com/archives/2008/05/one_of_the_corn.php


Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., whose Windows software dominates the personal-computer
| market, fell 6.2 percent Fridayin Nasdaq trading after sales slumped, casting
| doubt on whether PC demand can hold up in a slowing economy. The software
| maker reported a 24 percent drop in sales of Windows last quarter and
| forecast earnings that may miss analysts' estimates.
|
| [...]
|
| "The risk is that Linux gets a foothold and then affects their long-term
| revenue significantly."
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263


Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

,----[ Quote ]
| I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
| attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
| taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
| Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
| laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
| have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too.
|
| Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
| more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
| distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
| company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFISXMdU4xAY3RXLo4RArlSAJ4+NdgyEWWvN6pTLFNDIcPB1quzCgCdHnGa
+0diHjJ+ielwcF70xuU+Px4=
=rNJU
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
0
newsgroups3 (79677)
6/6/2008 5:25:49 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 124139 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

13 Replies
281 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 18

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:

> A Review of Songbird.
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Overall I can say for sure that this will be one of the most popular music 
> | players in the future. I do wish this player had iPod support and would be 
> | able to add on to the iPod from playlists, though if that did happen I would 
> | not use Rhythmbox anymore. The player looks a lot like iTunes which I used 
> | before hand before I went to Linux and all of my fun distributions I have 
> | tried.     
> `----

Closed source. The release is a binary. God knows what it does to your PC.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
6/6/2008 5:44:03 PM
Hadron wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:
> 
>> A Review of Songbird.
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Overall I can say for sure that this will be one of the most popular
>> | music players in the future. I do wish this player had iPod support and
>> | would be able to add on to the iPod from playlists, though if that did
>> | happen I would not use Rhythmbox anymore. The player looks a lot like
>> | iTunes which I used before hand before I went to Linux and all of my
>> | fun distributions I have tried.
>> `----
> 
> Closed source. The release is a binary. God knows what it does to your PC.

That's quite a statement from someone that promotes a closed source OS and
APP platform...

Windows and it's associated applications are the original BLACK BOXES. No
one but the Vole knows what it does to your PC.

-- 

Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)
0
jmcbride (776)
6/6/2008 6:10:54 PM
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

____/ Jerry McBride on Friday 06 June 2008 19:10 : \____

> Hadron wrote:
> 
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:
>> 
>>> A Review of Songbird.
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> | Overall I can say for sure that this will be one of the most popular
>>> | music players in the future. I do wish this player had iPod support and
>>> | would be able to add on to the iPod from playlists, though if that did
>>> | happen I would not use Rhythmbox anymore. The player looks a lot like
>>> | iTunes which I used before hand before I went to Linux and all of my
>>> | fun distributions I have tried.
>>> `----
>> 
>> Closed source. The release is a binary. God knows what it does to your PC.
> 
> That's quite a statement from someone that promotes a closed source OS and
> APP platform...
> 
> Windows and it's associated applications are the original BLACK BOXES. No
> one but the Vole knows what it does to your PC.

It's not a release yet. The source code is there.

- -- 
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Somebody, give this politician a wedgie"
http://Schestowitz.com  |    RHAT Linux     |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 20:05:01 up 52 days, 18:17,  5 users,  load average: 0.45, 1.06, 1.36
      http://iuron.com - Open Source knowledge engine project
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFISYuMU4xAY3RXLo4RAjJhAJ9nax1qERUwmxaylOaWh1bwRC76VgCdGjcj
kFqcX8vFmd6y3gwyObwRpUs=
=143V
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
0
newsgroups3 (79677)
6/6/2008 7:10:02 PM
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message 
news:2472923.CrQx4uqg2b@schestowitz.com...
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>

- "Songbird (for Linux) Looks Like iTunes, OpenOffice.org Resembles 
Microsoft Office"
Cheap knock-offs of iTunes and Microsoft Office. Great for the person who 
wants that "Rulex" watch a "pleather" jacket or who buys his wife a genuine 
"diamonel" ring. More FOSS "innovation" at work. Take a quality product and 
"innovate" by making a low quality copy.






** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
0
Ezekiel
6/6/2008 7:16:21 PM
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:25:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:


> A Review of Songbird.

Just what Linux needs, another media player.
Does it work with the iTunes store?
If not, it's DOA.

A Hyundai Sonata looks a hell of a lot like the baby Jaguar.
It's not.
Neither is Openoffice  a MSOffice.


-- 
Moshe Goldfarb
Collector of soaps from around the globe.
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
brick_n_straw (4058)
6/6/2008 7:37:26 PM
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 19:44:03 +0200, Hadron wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:
> 
>> A Review of Songbird.
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Overall I can say for sure that this will be one of the most popular music 
>>| players in the future. I do wish this player had iPod support and would be 
>>| able to add on to the iPod from playlists, though if that did happen I would 
>>| not use Rhythmbox anymore. The player looks a lot like iTunes which I used 
>>| before hand before I went to Linux and all of my fun distributions I have 
>>| tried.     
>> `----
> 
> Closed source. The release is a binary. God knows what it does to your PC.

If it's related to Linux it will render your PC totally and completely
useless.

-- 
Moshe Goldfarb
Collector of soaps from around the globe.
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
brick_n_straw (4058)
6/6/2008 7:38:32 PM
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:16:21 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message 
> news:2472923.CrQx4uqg2b@schestowitz.com...
>> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>> Hash: SHA1
>>
> 
> - "Songbird (for Linux) Looks Like iTunes, OpenOffice.org Resembles 
> Microsoft Office"
> Cheap knock-offs of iTunes and Microsoft Office. Great for the person who 
> wants that "Rulex" watch a "pleather" jacket or who buys his wife a genuine 
> "diamonel" ring. More FOSS "innovation" at work. Take a quality product and 
> "innovate" by making a low quality copy.

That's the Linux way!!!!!
Take a working product and turn it into a brick.


-- 
Moshe Goldfarb
Collector of soaps from around the globe.
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
brick_n_straw (4058)
6/6/2008 7:52:24 PM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
<brick_n_straw@gmail.com>
 wrote
on Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:38:32 -0400
<17agun9nnvf18.1bsla96dotrn3$.dlg@40tude.net>:
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 19:44:03 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:
>> 
>>> A Review of Songbird.
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>>| Overall I can say for sure that this will be one of the most popular music 
>>>| players in the future. I do wish this player had iPod support and would be 
>>>| able to add on to the iPod from playlists, though if that did happen I would 
>>>| not use Rhythmbox anymore. The player looks a lot like iTunes which I used 
>>>| before hand before I went to Linux and all of my fun distributions I have 
>>>| tried.     
>>> `----
>> 
>> Closed source. The release is a binary. God knows what it does to your PC.
>
> If it's related to Linux it will render your PC totally and completely
> useless.
>

Absolutely!  That's why I'm replying to you via SLRN....

:-P~~~~~~~~

-- 
#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Linux.  Because it's not the desktop that's
important, it's the ability to DO something
with it.
** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
0
ewill5 (11075)
6/6/2008 8:22:29 PM
Jerry McBride <jmcbride@mail-on.us> writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:
>> 
>>> A Review of Songbird.
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> | Overall I can say for sure that this will be one of the most popular
>>> | music players in the future. I do wish this player had iPod support and
>>> | would be able to add on to the iPod from playlists, though if that did
>>> | happen I would not use Rhythmbox anymore. The player looks a lot like
>>> | iTunes which I used before hand before I went to Linux and all of my
>>> | fun distributions I have tried.
>>> `----
>> 
>> Closed source. The release is a binary. God knows what it does to your PC.
>
> That's quite a statement from someone that promotes a closed source OS and
> APP platform...

Find one post from me promoting Windows.

>
> Windows and it's associated applications are the original BLACK BOXES. No
> one but the Vole knows what it does to your PC.

I was not talking about Windows. I was talking about Linux. And I tell
you something else - songbird is as bad now as it was a year go. Some
points:

No source.
A ready chmod'ed binary.
It runs and pops ups a choice to send "private" information back to them
on your library.
Another dialog appears with no title and no indication that its to point
to the music repository.
The first time I populated a "new playlist" the playlist was created but
there was nothing in it.
When I tried to play a certain track it popped up a dialog telling me I
need gstreamer. I have gstreamer. When I said "yes" to it telling me
more about the issue it froze.
I then gave up.

For all its faults I still use Amarok at home since at home I dont rely
on playlists so much as albums.

-- 
"Ignore the forging nym-shifting troll who pretends to be chrisv! I'm the *REAL* chrisv!"
                                       chrisv, COLA.
0
hadronquark2 (7213)
6/6/2008 9:10:55 PM
Verily I say unto thee, that Jerry McBride spake thusly:
> Hadron wrote:

>> Closed source. The release is a binary. God knows what it does to
>> your PC.

Idiot.

http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Developer/Articles/Getting_Started/Core_Player_Development/Checkout_the_Code

http://www.songbirdnest.com/development/licensing-faq

> That's quite a statement from someone that promotes a closed source
> OS and APP platform...
> 
> Windows and it's associated applications are the original BLACK
> BOXES. No one but the Vole knows what it does to your PC.

And those unfortunate enough to find out (like Mark Russinovich) just
end up getting bought off.

-- 
K.
http://slated.org

..----
| 'When it comes to knowledge, "ownership" just doesn't make sense'
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8
`----

Fedora release 8 (Werewolf) on sky, running kernel 2.6.23.8-63.fc8
 02:48:29 up 168 days, 23:24,  6 users,  load average: 0.03, 0.06, 0.01
0
usenet3690 (8688)
6/7/2008 1:48:52 AM
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:22:29 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
> <brick_n_straw@gmail.com>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:38:32 -0400
> <17agun9nnvf18.1bsla96dotrn3$.dlg@40tude.net>:
>> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 19:44:03 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:
>>> 
>>>> A Review of Songbird.
>>>>
>>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>>>| Overall I can say for sure that this will be one of the most popular music 
>>>>| players in the future. I do wish this player had iPod support and would be 
>>>>| able to add on to the iPod from playlists, though if that did happen I would 
>>>>| not use Rhythmbox anymore. The player looks a lot like iTunes which I used 
>>>>| before hand before I went to Linux and all of my fun distributions I have 
>>>>| tried.     
>>>> `----
>>> 
>>> Closed source. The release is a binary. God knows what it does to your PC.
>>
>> If it's related to Linux it will render your PC totally and completely
>> useless.
>>
> 
> Absolutely!  That's why I'm replying to you via SLRN....
> 
> :-P~~~~~~~~

SLRN runs under Windows as well.........


-- 
Moshe Goldfarb
Collector of soaps from around the globe.
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
brick_n_straw (4058)
6/7/2008 2:44:27 AM
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 02:48:52 +0100, Homer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Jerry McBride spake thusly:
>> Hadron wrote:
> 
>>> Closed source. The release is a binary. God knows what it does to
>>> your PC.
> 
> Idiot.
> 
> http://wiki.songbirdnest.com/Developer/Articles/Getting_Started/Core_Player_Development/Checkout_the_Code
> 
> http://www.songbirdnest.com/development/licensing-faq
> 
>> That's quite a statement from someone that promotes a closed source
>> OS and APP platform...
>> 
>> Windows and it's associated applications are the original BLACK
>> BOXES. No one but the Vole knows what it does to your PC.
> 
> And those unfortunate enough to find out (like Mark Russinovich) just
> end up getting bought off.

Poor [Homer], the whole world is part of a huge conspiracy to harm Linux.

-- 
Moshe Goldfarb
Collector of soaps from around the globe.
Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/
0
brick_n_straw (4058)
6/7/2008 2:45:16 AM
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
<brick_n_straw@gmail.com>
 wrote
on Fri, 6 Jun 2008 22:44:27 -0400
<1c74jcvva8tc.e0bvvswobxz9$.dlg@40tude.net>:
> On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 13:22:29 -0700, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
>> <brick_n_straw@gmail.com>
>>  wrote
>> on Fri, 6 Jun 2008 15:38:32 -0400
>> <17agun9nnvf18.1bsla96dotrn3$.dlg@40tude.net>:
>>> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 19:44:03 +0200, Hadron wrote:
>>>
>>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> writes:
>>>> 
>>>>> A Review of Songbird.
>>>>>
>>>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>>>>| Overall I can say for sure that this will be one of the
>>>>>| most popular music players in the future. I do wish this
>>>>>| player had iPod support and would be able to add on to
>>>>>| the iPod from playlists, though if that did happen I would 
>>>>>| not use Rhythmbox anymore. The player looks a lot like
>>>>>| iTunes which I used before hand before I went to Linux
>>>>>| and all of my fun distributions I have tried.     
>>>>> `----
>>>> 
>>>> Closed source. The release is a binary. God knows what
>>>> it does to your PC.
>>>
>>> If it's related to Linux it will render your PC totally
>>> and completely useless.
>>>
>> 
>> Absolutely!  That's why I'm replying to you via SLRN....
>> 
>> :-P~~~~~~~~
>
> SLRN runs under Windows as well.........
>

.... but it's related to Linux, is it not?

Or are you using a different meaning of the term that I'm
not aware of here?

-- 
#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
  - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!
** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **
0
ewill5 (11075)
6/9/2008 5:56:00 PM
Reply: