[News] Suggestions for Upgrading from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux

Migration from Mac to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| When in OS X (and in Windows) the default action
| is a very predictable beast. You want to make
| sure this is mimicked in Linux. In GNOME you can
| right click a file, select Open With, and then
| set that as the default application for that
| type of file. As much as this might seem second
| nature, for OS X users this is simply not an
| issue. Having everything so well integrated is
| not a feature on OS X, it’s a requirement. So
| make sure everything works exactly as expected
| BEFORE the OS X user touches their Linux box.
`----

http://blogwire.co.cc/2009/10/migration-from-mac-to-linux/

Recent:

My development setup

,----[ Quote ]
| Base software
|
|     * Arch Linux – it’s my 6 day with this distro
|     actually, I’m a Gentoo fanatic but from time to
|     time I try to use something different. I usually
|     how I’ll end up now. So far I really like Arch,
|     it’s extremely lightweight, fast and stable.
|     Software availability is as good as in Gentoo.
|     It’s also easy to make your own packages which
|     is crucial for Ruby developers since it happens
|     that we need various non-standard stuff, like
|     let’s say Nginx with Passenger support. I’ve got
|     a feeling that this time I won’t go back to
|     Gentoo
|
|     * KDE – it’s my desktop environment and one
|     of the most important reasons why I’ve
|     switched back from OSX to Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Dev tools:
|
|     * GIT - probably the best SCM in the world
|     * QGit4 – sometimes I use this git gui to
|     view history of a project
|     * ZSH with a pimped prompt for GIT
|     * Nginx with Passanger – better then
|     script/server
|     * VirtualBox – I have 3 Windows virtual
|     machines each with different version of
|     Internet Explorer, only for testing of course
`----

http://blog.solnic.eu/2009/10/18/my-development-setup

Five tips to help ease the migration from Mac to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course you might be thinking “OS X is supposed
| to be the most user-friendly OS available, so
| wouldn’t migrating to Linux be even more
| difficults?” Not exactly. There are certain
| elements of OS X that inherently make the process
| of migrating to Linux easier than when migrating
| from Windows. Take, for instance, the mounting of
| images and drives. This task is completely
| obfuscated from the Windows user, but the OS X user
| actually knows to unmount a drive before removal.
| But what about simple, every day usage? How do you
| make that more understandable for one moving from
| OS X to Linux? Let’s find out.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/14/five-tips-to-help-ease-the-migration-from-mac-to-linux/

Mac computers are restrictive.

,----[ Quote ]
| There are amazing PC laptop computers that you can buy for $600
| comparing to Apple latops that are usually around $1300 and more.
| Apple computers are overpriced, proprietary, restrictive and
| protectionist. This might not be a good direction to be heading
| into. Could Apple prove to be even more restrictive and opressive
| than Microsoft?
`----

http://www.idreamoflinux.com/2009/09/mac-computers-are-restrictive.html

Can Ubuntu 9.10 Outperform Mac OS X 10.6?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of the 26 tests shown in this article, Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" was the
| clear winner in 12 of the 26 tests while Snow Leopard had won a handful and
| the rest of the tests had results that were too close to call or unchanged
| between the Apple and Canonical operating systems. Ubuntu 9.10 can certainly
| compete with Mac OS X 10.6 when it comes to the performance, but of course a
| few of these tests do show performance regressions compared to the earlier
| Ubuntu 9.04 release, an area where Ubuntu developers could improve.
| Additionally, not all areas of the system or hardware combinations were
| tested, such as with the Intel Linux graphics performance struggling compared
| to Mac OS X. On top of that, the Ubuntu Linux installations had NVIDIA's
| proprietary driver manually installed, where as the "out of the box"
| experience on Ubuntu does not provide any 3D acceleration for NVIDIA
| hardware.
|
| Stay tuned for our large Mac OS X, Linux, OpenSolaris, and BSD operating
| system comparison in the next month.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_karmic_leopard&num=1

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] GNU/Linux More Polished Then Windows, Mac OS X

[News] Modern GNU/Linux Compared to Mac OS X

[News] Mac OS X Does Not Look Better Than GNU/Linux

[News] GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X in Areas

[News] What Sets Apart GNU/Linux from Windows and Mac OS X

[News] Why Mac OS X Can Never Match GNU/Linux

[News] Moving Toward Freedom, from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux
Linux Install Series Part 1: Why Install Linux on your Mac? ,----[ Quote ] | That is the question my fellow Mac users. In today's world we take | what we have for granted but we forget that we have freedom, we have | choice. And we need to take advantage of this. It is important to | realize that we are not limited to what is 'given' to us. Thus, Free | Software gives us the freedom to chose. `---- http://openengineering.blogspot.com/2006/12/linux-install-series-part-1-why-install.html Related quote: http://popagandhi.com/458/it-was-a-very-good-year/ ,----[ Quote ] | As a las...

[News] User Dumps Mac OS X for GNU/Linux with KDE4

[News] GNU/Linux Outperforms Mac OS X in Most Latest Benchmarks

[News] Musician Leaves Mac OS X to Embrace GNU/Linux

[News] GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X at Everything But Advertising

[News] Experiment with GNU/Linux Shows Where it Beats Mac OS X and Windows

[News] Story Explains Why GNU/Linux is Better Than Mac OS X, Windows

[News] Users Bamboozled Into Thinking GNU/Linux is Mac OS X (Leopard)

[News] Guide and Tips for Dumping Mac OS X for GNU/Linux Desktop

[News] Moving from Mac OS X to Desktop GNU/Linux Working Out Well

[News] User Has Had Enough of Apple; Migration from Mac OS X to... GNU/Linux
Switching From Mac To Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The straw that broke the camel's back was the release of iTunes 7. I | excitedly downloaded it, reading up on some of the new features. There | wasn't much of interest for me, but who can resist a major update of a | killer application? I turned on L7's "Smell The Magic" and began to | check out the new interface. | | Revolting! The playlist panel was suddenly clunky, chopped into three | chunks of ugliness. The "new" Coverflow interfaces made me think of | Windows Media Player. This wasn't iTunes... it was a tr...

[News] Former Microsoft Intern Likes GNU/Linux More than Mac OS X

[News] GNU/Linux Saves the Day, Windows and Mac OS X Behind in the Area

Web resources about - [News] Suggestions for Upgrading from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Suggestion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Suggestion is the psychological process by which one person guides the thoughts, feelings, or behaviour of another. Nineteenth century writers ...

Do You Like Facebook’s New Top Suggestions Layout?
Facebook revamped the layout of its top suggestions page, which, as the name implies, suggests pages for users to like . continued… New Career ...

What's your suggestion for an awesomely... - The Dish - Andrew Sullivan - Facebook
What's your suggestion for an awesomely bad Super PAC name?

Facebook to Use Facial Recognition to Provide Photo Tag Suggestions
Facebook has announced a new photo tag suggestions feature that utilizes facial recognition technology. When users upload photos, faces which ...

New tailored suggestions for you to follow on Twitter
... the first time, we want that process to be easy and fast. Currently, when new users come to Twitter, we show them all almost the same suggestions ...

Couple of suggestions for Fargo bloggers re Disqus comments.
Regarding Disqus comments: You can turn off the links to articles, if you don't care about revenue. Here's how: Go to the Disqus dashboard ...

New on Quora: Suggestions for Ask to Answer and... - Joel's Posts - Quora
One of the great parts of Quora is having a question answered by the perfect person, like a former Navy pilot who can explain what it's like ...

Suggestions by Hootsuite: Currently for Pro users only on the App Store on iTunes
Get Suggestions by Hootsuite: Currently for Pro users only on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Suggestion Box: Black Simon and Garfunkel Sing "All About That Bass" - YouTube
Jimmy welcomes back Black Simon and Garfunkel to sing Meghan Trainor's hit song "All About That Bass." Subscribe NOW to The Tonight Show Starring ...