[News] "Switching to Linux is no harder than switching to OS X"

No Country for Linux Newbies?

,----[ Quote ]
| How does one make it through the fire from
| Linux newbie to a full-fledged user? The
| process is no harder than any other system --
| just different, argues Slashdot blogger
| Barbara Hudson. Switching to Linux is no
| harder than switching to OS X, for example --
| "just without the black turtlenecks and the
| cool 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' commercials," she
| said.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/No-Country-for-Linux-Newbies-69156.html

Recent:

Editor's Note: Linux Is Easy

,----[ Quote ]
| The report discusses all the usual criteria for evaluating migration
| candidates, such as what applications do your users need, are there any good
| FOSS alternatives, and how technically proficient are the users. The report
| glossed over the last one, but that factor might be the most important one of
| all: some people are naturally more adept at using computers, and don't mind
| learning new things. That is the demographic to zero in on after you figure
| out which tasks are good candidates for a Linux migration. Age, sex, race,
| experience, religion, or any other handy label are irrelevant; technical
| aptitude and willingness are the traits to look for. Zero in on these folks
| first, and you have a good start and an ad-hoc support staff.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2009-05-30-002-35-OS-BZ

Is Linux Easy to Use?

,----[ Quote ]
| Today’s Linux distributions such as Ubuntu, Suse and Fedora can be installed
| very easily. In Ubuntu the user required actions are just 4-5 clicks. The
| installer is clever enough to partition the hard disc without loss of data
| and co-living with other operating systems installed prior. I love this
| feature a lot.
`----

http://blog.feradz.com/2009/01/is-linux-easy-to-use/

The Year in Operating Systems: No battle of big ideas

,----[ Quote ]
| Think of how much easier it is to link to a wireless network in Linux today
| than it was only a few years ago, just as an example.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/the_year_in_oses/

Linux Myth: Installing Software on Linux is Hard

,----[ Quote ]
| As many a Linux user that follows posts on USENET and other online forums can
| attest there are Linux Haters out there. Typically these Linux Haters are
| folk that, for some reason or another, decide “I Hate Linux and You Should
| Too!”. Most of the time they advocate for Microsoft and its’ products, but
| not always. In any case, these folk tend to promulgate specific myths about
| Linux. One of these myths is that software is hard to install on Linux.
`----

http://blog.eracc.com/2008/08/09/linux-myth-installing-software-on-linux-is-hard/

Related:

13 year-old Eric Rufle talks about installing GNU-Linux watch!

http://www.archive.org/download/e-dv531_felton_eric_009_001.ogg/e-dv531_felton_eric_009_001.ogg

Linux is easier to install than XP

,----[ Quote ]
| Mint, on the other hand, let me point out, had no trouble with any of my
| hardware. Thus Ubuntu-based Linux recognized the equipment, it set it up and
| let me get to work. It was Windows that proved to be a pain in the rump.
|
| Greg Kroah-Hartman, a prominent Linux developer, is right. Linux Journal
| recently reported that he recently told an audience at the Ottawa Linux
| Symposium that “Linux supports more different types of devices than any other
| operating system ever has in the history of computing.”
|
| Linux isn’t perfect that way, as Kroah-Hartman would be the first to admit.
| Based on what I experienced, though, Linux is much better than Windows at
| supporting modern hardware.
|
| We have this illusion, that’s just because Windows works on the systems it
| comes pre-installed on, that Windows has great built-in driver support. No,
| it doesn’t. Once you move to installing Windows on a new system, you’ll
| quickly find that Linux, not Windows, has the better built-in hardware
| support.
|
| Yes, that’s right. Linux, not Windows, is easier to install on a new PC. Just
| something to think about as you get ready to strip Vista off your new
| computer.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/infrastructure/linux-is-easier-to-install-than-xp/

Installing a modern Linux distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| A modern Linux install should take no more than forty-five minutes for the
| initial install and maybe an hours worth of tweaking to get the missing bits
| running the way the user wants this may take longer with more complected
| setups like using ATI or NVIDIA cards with Compiz.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=393

Ubuntu 8.04 beta: an agile upgrade

,----[ Quote ]
| The latest build of everyone's favorite open source desktop OS features
| better performance, Active Directory integration, and seamless installation
| from Windows
|
| [...]
|

| If this first taste is any indication, however, Ubuntu 8.04 is shaping up to
| be a worthy upgrade for existing users and a good jumping-on point for new
| ones. Wubi, in particular, makes it ideal for anyone who has hesitated to
| give Linux a try before now. Look for the final version to be available in
| April.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/24/13TC-ubuntu-beta_1.html

Mrs Red Devil Installs Ubuntu 8.04

,----[ Quote ]
| [Comment:]
|
| Very nice story.
|
| Why don't you give a XP OEM CD and ask her to do the same thing with the so
| acclaimed XP?
| Isn't 'Windows is easy, Linux is for Geeks' a familiar phrase?
|
| I once had to help out a friend of mine - his XP was once again broken - and
| when he saw my PCLinuxOS CD he stated 'No Linux on my box. That is to
| difficult'.
| As his XP was truly broken and he wanted a clean install anyhow, I played it
| cheeky and urged him to install his XP OEM all by himself. He said he'd never
| done that, but was willing to give it a go.
|
| Once he started, he was stuck the first time with the partitioner. I helped
| him out. After 30+ minutes he was able to boot his XP for the first
| time. 'See it is not difficult' he told me with a big gin, but once XP was
| booted he lost his smile. XP booted without audio, in a meager 800x600
| resolution and without any software. He was taken aback and asked me what to
| do next. I told him to start installing a video driver first. After searching
| for a minutes he found the driver CD, popped it in but it needed Framework
| 1.1. So he had to figure out how to set-up his internet access, do a Windows
| update - BTW, he didn't have a virus scanner running, and used only the
| default XP firewall. After I don't know how many minutes he had to reboot
| (not for the last time) and got his correct resolution. We had to do the same
| for the printer, the audio, ... all those reboots :-(
|
| Then he realized that his Office was gone, his Photoshop was nowhere to be
| found. It took him more than 3 hours to install and configure his XP.
|
| After that, I asked him to try PCLinuxOS. After not more than 25 minutes he
| was up and running, all hardware working out of the box, and found all the
| software he could think of. Those missing could easily be added. He was
| impressed.
| 'Why do you think MS sells PC's with XP pre-installed' I told him. 'Because
| installing it yourself would scare you away from XP' he answered me.
|
| Yes, Linux has come a long way, and all the top distros are much easier to
| set up than anything you buy from MS.
|
| I hope your wife enjoys her new environment and she is lucky to have such a
| good teacher :-p
`----

http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2008/05/mrs-red-devil-installs-ubuntu-804.html

Vista Ultimate vs. Ubuntu 7.04 - Which Install Is Easier?

,----[ Quote ]
| So less than 3 hours into this experiment, I have both Vista and Ubuntu
| installed and patched. Both systems are stable, more or less, but both
| systems have quirks. Neither system worked perfectly, but much to my surprise
| the Ubuntu system worked better, (once I got the keyboard working). More
| hardware worked without needing to download additional drivers. More over,
| there is moreover, the desktop that I do have is more functional -
| applications like GIMP, Open Office, and a slew of multi-media apps are far
| more useful than Wordpad, Paint and the slew of crap that Vista comes with.
`----

http://scitech.teambio.org/2007/08/14/vista-ultimate-vs-ubuntu-704-which-install-is-easier/

Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and
maintain

,----[ Quote ]
| This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
| where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
| wanted to test it.
`----

http://www.go2linux.org/why-linux-is-easier-than-windows

Linux is Easier to Install than Windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| A brief, but honest description of why Linux is better than Windows!
`----

http://www.utopiatheory.com/index.php?id=11

[Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, this tool is certainly one of the easiest ways of letting
| people try Ubuntu without removing Windows or having to partition their hard
| drive for a dual-boot.  I have enjoyed this tool, and although it is still in
| beta, it works very well and is very stable.  So, if you are running a
| computer with Windows and want to give Ubuntu a try, then this is the
| solution for you.
`----

http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/07/wubi-review.html

Installing Ubuntu, a world without Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| The "Welcome" page will start. I chose English and then I clicked the forward
| button. On the Time Zone page, you click a city on the map. I clicked St
| John's, the city listed for the Newfoundland Time Zone. Click forward again.
| I picked US English keyboard and clicked forward for the third time.
|
| Now, the partition wizard starts up. Choose one of the guided installs. You
| will usually have more than one choice here and they depend on your
| particular machine. You may be able to resize your existing partition to only
| use the available space on it, or you can choose to use the full hard drive
| for Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.gulfnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=100109&sc=343

Ubuntu 1, Windows 0

,----[ Quote ]
| I installed Ubuntu on the Toshiba laptop. Ubuntu installed in 15 minutes - 49
| for Windows XP and 125 for Windows Vista. Ubuntu's desktop came right up. I
| opened the pre-installed Firefox browser and found I could browse the Web
| immediately. Ubuntu installed a network adaptor for the Toshiba laptop.
|
| I shake my head at this Windows foolishness!
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/458943_p.htm

The day of the Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea here is that this is something almost anyone can do, almost anywhere
| in the world, without any central organization or, indeed, any organization
| at all. This is not Linux World or Linux Continent or Linux Country or Linux
| State or even Linux City or Linux Village. And it's not a year, a month, or
| even a week. It's just one day.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/120727

Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows - 40 Minutes
|
| [...]
|
| Linux - 2 Minutes
|
| While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
| turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
| well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
| Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
| number.
`----

http://www.thesourceshow.org/node/69

How To Install Gutsy Gibbon - A 21 Step Guide For Technical Support

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. “First, insert the Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 CD into your cup holder.”
|
| 2. “Press the power button on your computer, and hold it until it shuts off.”
|
| 3. “Good. Now press the power button again.”
|
| 4. “We’re going to see some white on black text fly by, please don’t read it
|     to me.”
|
| 5. “Let me know when you’ve got a screen that says Ubuntu in brown and
|     orange.”
|
| 6. “Ok, press the ‘Enter’ key.”
`----

http://www.fsckin.com/2007/09/28/how-to-install-gutsy-gibbon-a-21-step-guide-for-technical-support/

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Hadrons Running on GNU/Linux, "Linux is our OS of choice"

Linux vs OS X vs "Other alternitives"...
Based on: Torvalds pans Apple with 'utter crap' putdown http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/utter-crap-torvalds-pans-apple/2008/02/05/1202090393959.html Linux vs OS X vs "Other alternatives"... I assume they both do it =================== CARDINAL SIN: Linux and OS X both not only run drivers and the file system in the kernel privilege space, MINUX and QNX typically don't do this. As a general rule, the FS and Drivers and networking should run at 'privileged user' level and not system privilege (aka 'su') level. The troika of FS, Drivers and networ...

[News] Switching to Linux, Not OS X or Windows
EM simulation switches to Linux ,----[ Quote ] | Alongside the five fully featured high frequency CST MWS solvers, | the low frequency and static modules included in CST Studio Suite | have been ported to Linux. `---- http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/csr/csr107.html ...

Posted by Kier
Posted by Kier - "why I moved from Linux to Mac OS X" Like many, I started with Windows � 95 through to XP. At age 11-12 I toyed with a number of Linux distributions: Mandriva/Mandrake, RHEL, Debian, Gentoo� until I finally settled with Ubuntu. After dual booting for a year or so I finally rid myself of Windows entirely. I stuck with Ubuntu for 4 years and then made the switch from Linux to Mac OS X via means of a OSx86 hackintosh � OS X installed on custom PC hardware. After two years of running OSx86 hackintosh I finally bought a cheap Macbook Pro, which I still use 2 year...

[News] Google Chrome OS (Linux) as "Endgame" Against Microsoft

"Heroes" again, or "Linux in the Wild" or "Linux on TV", this time with screenshots
Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 Linux in the wild. What more proof do you need? later... -- JDS | jeffrey@go.away.com | http://www.newtnotes.com DJMBS | http://newtnotes.com/doctor-jeff-master-brainsurgeon/ JDS wrote: > Allrighty, doubters and wintrolls. I've posted some screen shots from the > KDE appearance on NBC's new series "Heroes" > > http://www.newtnotes.com/?itemid=189&catid=3 ...

OS X or OS "Ten"
Yeah, so this is a stupid question, and yes I know it is "OS Ten", but how many people just call it OS "X" anyway? I do out of habit, and because I use windows and mac (and whatever comes my way really, I am just an 'OS neutral' user)all my 'mac friends' make fun of me becaue I say it that way...they say it shows that I am an 'outsider' (in jest really). So what's the word on that? ...are there any more of us? l. PS ....and yes I did search for the answer to this and have determinded that I do not say it 'correctly' but I am wondering what the ratio is... insectile@hotmail.com (Lita) writes: > Yeah, so this is a stupid question, and yes I know it is "OS Ten", > but how many people just call it OS "X" anyway? I do out of habit, > and because I use windows and mac (and whatever comes my way really, > I am just an 'OS neutral' user)all my 'mac friends' make fun of me > becaue I say it that way...they say it shows that I am an 'outsider' > (in jest really). > > So what's the word on that? ...are there any more of us? Yes, it's "OS Ten." Been here since System 6.0.5 (before they dropped the "System" part and added the "Mac OS" part to the name). In a case like "Mac OS X 10.1.5," I just say "Mac OS Ten Point One Point Five. The "X" is silent... ;) > PS ...and yes I did search fo...

Posted by Kier
Posted by Kier - "why I moved from Linux to Mac OS X" Like many, I started with Windows � 95 through to XP. At age 11-12 I toyed with a number of Linux distributions: Mandriva/Mandrake, RHEL, Debian, Gentoo� until I finally settled with Ubuntu. After dual booting for a year or so I finally rid myself of Windows entirely. I stuck with Ubuntu for 4 years and then made the switch from Linux to Mac OS X via means of a OSx86 hackintosh � OS X installed on custom PC hardware. After two years of running OSx86 hackintosh I finally bought a cheap Macbook Pro, which I still use 2 year...

[News] Microsoft Presents "Black Screen of Switch to GNU/Linux"
Microsoft has gone greedy and insane. ,----[ Quote ] | In an e-mail to a large Windows Vista OEM distributor titled "Pirated Vista - | A darkness descends!", a local Microsoft representative made it quite clear | what Vista pirates can expect to happen to their unlicensed installations. | | [...] | | Microsoft's new tough anit-piracy move also proves the company still controls | its software releases with an iron fist, but it marks the first global use of | heavy-handed tactics for pirated copies of Windows. `---- http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1029262671&a...

"Real OS" vs. "Toy OS"
Over in the 'Best thing about Linux' thread, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote: > Amazing what using a real OS instead of a toy can do. Given that this opinion is shared by most or all of you Linux weirdos, it must burn you to no end that a "toy" OS (WindowsXP): * can sell 200,000,000 copies - but you have to crow for months when Munich Germany installs just 14,000 * that nearly every PC vendor in the world offers it pre-loaded - but when you ask about Linux over the phone you're met with "Lin what?" or silence or sometimes a click and then silence. * that you're forced to copy the features in the "toy" OS - to lend Linux a veneer of badly needed usability and respectability * that _your_ OS is considered "alternative" - almost like it's an odd subculture * that Linux is often considered a free Windows clone * that Linux apps really are, or try to be, clones of Windows apps * that modern Linux distros often run slower than Windows on the same machine No wonder you're all so hostile and humorless. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 10:45:28 -0400, DFS wrote: > Over in the 'Best thing about Linux' thread, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote: > > >> Amazing what using a real OS instead of a toy can do. > > > Given that this opinion is shared by most or all of you Linux weirdos, it > must burn you to no end that a "toy" OS (WindowsXP): > > * can sell 200,000,000 copies - but you ha...

linux today
bawawawa!!!! linux. I hate it already!!!! http://fr.linuxtoday.com/infrastructure/2010081101435OSMR The consistent failure of Linux to grab even 1% of the desktop OS market Aug 11, 2010 "Linux has been around for almost two decades now. It has become a resounding success as a server OS (for example as the L in the famous LAMP stack), and more recently as a mobile OS (Android). But what about on the desktop? "Linux enthusiasts have been predicting the rise of Linux as a desktop OS for the better part of a decade. To name just one of many examples, in 2003, Siemens Business Systems predicted that Linux would have captured 20% of the desktop market by 2008. "Well, it's now 2010, and desktop Linux isn't even close to 20%. Or one tenth of that." On 2010-10-10, One Shot, One-Kill <fredie@gmail.com> wrote: One snot, one shill wanks on about the shrinking "desktop market"... Who the fuck cares about "the desktop"? Oh, I know ....WINTROLLS... Is there even a desktop "market" any more? Linux is EVERYWHERE! It's on your router..it's in your TV it's on your phone... -- Regards, Gregory. Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power On 10 Oct 2010 05:36:07 GMT, Gregory Shearman <ZekeGregory@netscape.net> wrote: > One snot, one shill wanks on about the shrinking "desktop market"... > Who the fuck cares about "the desktop"? What a total joke he ...

*tuple vs tuple example print os.path.join(os.path.dirname(os.tmpnam()),*("a","b","c"))
I have been trying to find documentation on the behavior Can anyone tell me why the first example works and the second doesn't and where I can read about it in the language reference? Steve print os.path.join(os.path.dirname(os.tmpnam()),*("a","b","c")) #works OUTPUT:/var/tmp/a/b/c and print os.path.join(os.path.dirname(os.tmpnam()),("a","b","c")) # doesn't OUTPUT:Traceback (most recent call last): File "<stdin>", line 1, in ? File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/pyth...

Web resources about - [News] "Switching to Linux is no harder than switching to OS X" - comp.os.linux.advocacy