[News] The Font Test; Verdict: "Yes, fonts on Linux look quite good!"

Visual comparison of major OS?s font rendering

,----[ Quote ]
| Personally I don't like ClearType at all. And looking at it
| gives me headaches. Also, Linux's myth of bad font rendering
| is finally over.
`----

http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/2007/01/08/visual-comparison-of-major-oss-font-rendering/

Subject line quote from:

http://digg.com/software/Visual_comparison_of_Mac_OS_X_Linux_and_Windows_font_rendering
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Visual comparison of major OS?s font rendering
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Personally I don't like ClearType at all. And looking at it
> | gives me headaches. Also, Linux's myth of bad font rendering
> | is finally over.
> `----
>
> http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/2007/01/08/visual-comparison-of-major-oss-font-rendering/
>
> Subject line quote from:
>
> http://digg.com/software/Visual_comparison_of_Mac_OS_X_Linux_and_Windows_font_rendering

The fonts are still hideous in Linux.  I admit clear type sucks.  But
the windows fonts with no clear type are totally sharper than the Ubuntu
fonts.  The Ubuntu fonts are globed up in corners and places are
bleeding together.

If that's the level standards linux users have no wonder it's horrid.

--
wjbell

Peter K abandon his firewall lie:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/e6eaf7e09552e5e2?hl=en

Jim R failing to address the issue after being asked:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/5ad37ca14a2d7224?hl=en

And of course, Roy Culley -- COLAs loyal hall monitor:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=cola+stats&hl=en&as_uauthors=roy+culley
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/578bb2221ad0453c?hl=en
0
wjbell (585)
1/8/2007 8:08:50 AM
wjbell wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Visual comparison of major OS?s font rendering
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Personally I don't like ClearType at all. And looking at it
>> | gives me headaches. Also, Linux's myth of bad font rendering
>> | is finally over.
>> `----
>>
>> http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/2007/01/08/visual-comparison-of-major-oss-font-rendering/
>>
>> Subject line quote from:
>>
>> http://digg.com/software/Visual_comparison_of_Mac_OS_X_Linux_and_Windows_font_rendering
>
> The fonts are still hideous in Linux.  I admit clear type sucks.  But
> the windows fonts with no clear type are totally sharper than the Ubuntu
> fonts.  The Ubuntu fonts are globed up in corners and places are
> bleeding together.
>
> If that's the level standards linux users have no wonder it's horrid.

Cleartype is excellent, and the version in Vista is even better. Anyone
who knows anything about computer typography will tell you cleartype is
superior to anything else out there. Linux font rendering is a joke.
0
groundaxe (135)
1/8/2007 1:32:15 PM
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:32:15 GMT, "Dr. GroundAxe"
<groundaxe@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>wjbell wrote:

[snip]

>Linux font rendering is a joke.

As evidenced once more:

http://www.softmaker.com/english/images/ofl06_en.png
0
otto2436 (617)
1/8/2007 2:19:26 PM
begin  oe_protect.scr
Dr. GroundAxe <groundaxe@hotmail.co.uk> espoused:
> wjbell wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Visual comparison of major OS?s font rendering
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://mywheel.net/blog/index.php/2007/01/08/visual-comparison-of-major-oss-font-rendering/
>>>
>>> Subject line quote from:
>>>
>>> http://digg.com/software/Visual_comparison_of_Mac_OS_X_Linux_and_Windows_font_rendering
>>
>> The fonts are still hideous in Linux.  I admit clear type sucks.  But
>> the windows fonts with no clear type are totally sharper than the Ubuntu
>> fonts.  The Ubuntu fonts are globed up in corners and places are
>> bleeding together.
>>
>> If that's the level standards linux users have no wonder it's horrid.
>>
> Cleartype is excellent, and the version in Vista is even better. Anyone
> who knows anything about computer typography will tell you cleartype is
> superior to anything else out there. Linux font rendering is a joke.

I presume that you use an open-source News client because, in spite of
your protestations, you know very well that open-source software is
superior.

The state of innocence contains the germs of all future sin.
		-- Alexandre Arnoux, "Etudes et caprices"
0
mark.kent (15323)