[News] Ubuntu Linux Installations and Adopters Escape Windows (Not Linux 'Cannibalism')

Windows Users download Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Today I was downloading Ubuntu 7.10 desktop i386 iso and came across an
| interesting fact.
| I was using kTorrent and was delighted to see more than 1400 seeders and
| around 150 leechers.
| There were seeders from many countries prominent among them being
|
|    1. U.S
|    2. U.K
|    3. Germany
|    4. Italy
|
| [...]
|
| Now utorrent is a Windows only client, this makes this observation very
| interesting. Imagine, the maximum number of Ubuntu peers are actually using
| some version of Windows :). This indicates the growing awareness of Ubuntu
| among Windows users.
`----

http://abhay-techzone.blogspot.com/2007/11/windows-users-download-ubuntu.html

Related:

Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
| a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
| Linux distribution of choice.
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,19940,p,0.html

Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

,----[ Quote ]
| DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
| has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
| in the past year.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/013576.html
0
newsgroups3 (79677)

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Windows Users download Ubuntu
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Today I was downloading Ubuntu 7.10 desktop i386 iso and came across an
> | interesting fact.
> | I was using kTorrent and was delighted to see more than 1400 seeders and
> | around 150 leechers.
> | There were seeders from many countries prominent among them being
> |
> |    1. U.S
> |    2. U.K
> |    3. Germany
> |    4. Italy
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Now utorrent is a Windows only client, this makes this observation very
> | interesting. Imagine, the maximum number of Ubuntu peers are actually using
> | some version of Windows :). This indicates the growing awareness of Ubuntu
> | among Windows users.
> `----
>
> http://abhay-techzone.blogspot.com/2007/11/windows-users-download-ubuntu.html
>

> Related:
>
> Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
> | a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
> | Linux distribution of choice.
> `----
>
> http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,19940,p,0.html
>

> Survey: Desktop Linux use grows
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
> | has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
> | in the past year.
> `----
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/013576.html

This is very good news. The windows users are helping to distribute
linux :-) We should try and get an idea of what percentage of winodws
torrent users use utorrent, and then perhaps estimate the number of
windows clients.
0
ed4379 (62)