[News] User Dumps Mac OS X for GNU/Linux with KDE4

There and back again. Linux to Mac

,----[ Quote ]
| I now have Ubuntu 9.10 running on my
| MacBook Pro. Gnome-desktop, kubuntu-destop,
| xubuntu-desktop are all installed. I like
| desktop options, but prefer KDE 4. I can
| switch between apps, terminals, connect to
| the network and print. I have not seen one
| spinning beach ball. I am much more
| productive. I am so happy to have Amorok
| back to manage my music, and KDE to manage
| my desktop, and konsole as a terminal
| application, and, and, and… I am just so
| much happier.
|
| [...]
|
| Would I buy another Mac for myself, just
| for the hardware? No. While the trackpad is
| cool, other companies have caught up on the
| piece of hardware. The keyboard may be
| enough to make me come back to the
| hardware, but I doubt it.
`----

http://www.openlogic.com/blogs/2009/11/there-and-back-again-linux-to-mac/

Power to the GNU!

Podcast Season 1 Episode 21

,----[ Quote ]
| In this episode: Firefox turns 5, Microsoft
| allegedly borrows some GPL code and the Fat
| Elf is no more. We talk about what our
| perfect Linux distribution would look like
| and ask whether everyone should be
| compelled to contribute to free software
| projects.
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/podcast-season-1-episode-21

Recent:

Migration from Mac to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| When in OS X (and in Windows) the default action
| is a very predictable beast. You want to make
| sure this is mimicked in Linux. In GNOME you can
| right click a file, select Open With, and then
| set that as the default application for that
| type of file. As much as this might seem second
| nature, for OS X users this is simply not an
| issue. Having everything so well integrated is
| not a feature on OS X, it’s a requirement. So
| make sure everything works exactly as expected
| BEFORE the OS X user touches their Linux box.
`----

http://blogwire.co.cc/2009/10/migration-from-mac-to-linux/

My development setup

,----[ Quote ]
| Base software
|
|     * Arch Linux – it’s my 6 day with this distro
|     actually, I’m a Gentoo fanatic but from time to
|     time I try to use something different. I usually
|     how I’ll end up now. So far I really like Arch,
|     it’s extremely lightweight, fast and stable.
|     Software availability is as good as in Gentoo.
|     It’s also easy to make your own packages which
|     is crucial for Ruby developers since it happens
|     that we need various non-standard stuff, like
|     let’s say Nginx with Passenger support. I’ve got
|     a feeling that this time I won’t go back to
|     Gentoo
|
|     * KDE – it’s my desktop environment and one
|     of the most important reasons why I’ve
|     switched back from OSX to Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Dev tools:
|
|     * GIT - probably the best SCM in the world
|     * QGit4 – sometimes I use this git gui to
|     view history of a project
|     * ZSH with a pimped prompt for GIT
|     * Nginx with Passanger – better then
|     script/server
|     * VirtualBox – I have 3 Windows virtual
|     machines each with different version of
|     Internet Explorer, only for testing of course
`----

http://blog.solnic.eu/2009/10/18/my-development-setup

Five tips to help ease the migration from Mac to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course you might be thinking “OS X is supposed
| to be the most user-friendly OS available, so
| wouldn’t migrating to Linux be even more
| difficults?” Not exactly. There are certain
| elements of OS X that inherently make the process
| of migrating to Linux easier than when migrating
| from Windows. Take, for instance, the mounting of
| images and drives. This task is completely
| obfuscated from the Windows user, but the OS X user
| actually knows to unmount a drive before removal.
| But what about simple, every day usage? How do you
| make that more understandable for one moving from
| OS X to Linux? Let’s find out.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/14/five-tips-to-help-ease-the-migration-from-mac-to-linux/

Mac computers are restrictive.

,----[ Quote ]
| There are amazing PC laptop computers that you can buy for $600
| comparing to Apple latops that are usually around $1300 and more.
| Apple computers are overpriced, proprietary, restrictive and
| protectionist. This might not be a good direction to be heading
| into. Could Apple prove to be even more restrictive and opressive
| than Microsoft?
`----

http://www.idreamoflinux.com/2009/09/mac-computers-are-restrictive.html

Can Ubuntu 9.10 Outperform Mac OS X 10.6?

,----[ Quote ]
| Of the 26 tests shown in this article, Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" was the
| clear winner in 12 of the 26 tests while Snow Leopard had won a handful and
| the rest of the tests had results that were too close to call or unchanged
| between the Apple and Canonical operating systems. Ubuntu 9.10 can certainly
| compete with Mac OS X 10.6 when it comes to the performance, but of course a
| few of these tests do show performance regressions compared to the earlier
| Ubuntu 9.04 release, an area where Ubuntu developers could improve.
| Additionally, not all areas of the system or hardware combinations were
| tested, such as with the Intel Linux graphics performance struggling compared
| to Mac OS X. On top of that, the Ubuntu Linux installations had NVIDIA's
| proprietary driver manually installed, where as the "out of the box"
| experience on Ubuntu does not provide any 3D acceleration for NVIDIA
| hardware.
|
| Stay tuned for our large Mac OS X, Linux, OpenSolaris, and BSD operating
| system comparison in the next month.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_karmic_leopard&num=1

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] Mac OS X-Like Dock for GNU/Linux Reviewed by Linux.com
KXDocker: More than a task manager ,----[ Quote ] | The basic idea behind Mac OS X's Dock is that when you need an | application, you click on its icon on an on-screen bar, and the | application is launched (if it has not been yet) or switched to | (if it has). Stefano Zingarini has borrowed this concept for | KXDocker, a KDE variation of OS X's Dock (which is also usable | with GNOME and other desktop environments). `---- http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/28/1956207&from=rss Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VekgyKQoTeM&NR http://www.youtube.com/wa...

[News] Guide and Tips for Dumping Mac OS X for GNU/Linux Desktop

[News] User Has Had Enough of Apple; Migration from Mac OS X to... GNU/Linux
Switching From Mac To Linux ,----[ Quote ] | The straw that broke the camel's back was the release of iTunes 7. I | excitedly downloaded it, reading up on some of the new features. There | wasn't much of interest for me, but who can resist a major update of a | killer application? I turned on L7's "Smell The Magic" and began to | check out the new interface. | | Revolting! The playlist panel was suddenly clunky, chopped into three | chunks of ugliness. The "new" Coverflow interfaces made me think of | Windows Media Player. This wasn't iTunes... it was a tr...

[News] Users Bamboozled Into Thinking GNU/Linux is Mac OS X (Leopard)

[News] Apple's Mac OS X is Being Dumped for GNU/Linux Desktops

[News] Mac OS X Users Leave Apple and Come to Desktop GNU/Linux

[News] Mac OS X Dumped For GNU/Linux Because It's Better (Not Just Libre)

[News] Jack Wallen Continues Series on How to Dump Mac OS X for GNU/Linux Applications

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] Modern GNU/Linux Compared to Mac OS X

[News] Mac OS X Does Not Look Better Than GNU/Linux

[News] GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X in Areas

[News] Suggestions for Upgrading from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux

[News] GNU/Linux More Polished Then Windows, Mac OS X

[News] GNU/Linux Outperforms Mac OS X in Most Latest Benchmarks

[News] GNU/Linux Users Make More Games Sales Than OS X

[News] What Sets Apart GNU/Linux from Windows and Mac OS X

[News] Moving Toward Freedom, from Mac OS X to GNU/Linux
Linux Install Series Part 1: Why Install Linux on your Mac? ,----[ Quote ] | That is the question my fellow Mac users. In today's world we take | what we have for granted but we forget that we have freedom, we have | choice. And we need to take advantage of this. It is important to | realize that we are not limited to what is 'given' to us. Thus, Free | Software gives us the freedom to chose. `---- http://openengineering.blogspot.com/2006/12/linux-install-series-part-1-why-install.html Related quote: http://popagandhi.com/458/it-was-a-very-good-year/ ,----[ Quote ] | As a las...

[News] Why Mac OS X Can Never Match GNU/Linux

[News] GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X at Everything But Advertising

[News] Musician Leaves Mac OS X to Embrace GNU/Linux

Web resources about - [News] User Dumps Mac OS X for GNU/Linux with KDE4 - comp.os.linux.advocacy

Illinois, Missouri Could Be Pivotal for GOP Tuesday
The Republican primaries Tuesday in Ohio and Florida have been the focus of most candidates and the media, but two other contests, in Illinois ...

How to configure email encryption in Apple Mail
Jesus Vigo covers the steps necessary for encrypting email messages sent and received in Apple Mail.

Windows 10 Installing Itself Without Permission For Some Users
While Windows 10 is considered to be a much improved version of the Windows operating system compared to Windows 8/8.1, there are some users ...

Samuel L. Jackson, Spike Lee and Charles Barkley hit the road in new March Madness ads
As far as entertaining road-trip companions go, you could do a lot worse than Charles Barkley. Capital One has once again packed the NBA player-turned-analyst ...

Vladimir Putin announces start of withdrawal of Russia's troops from Syria
Vladimir Putin has ordered Russian military to start withdrawing 'main part' of forces in Syria, saying the military campaign had 'largely achieved' ...

Muhammad Jamal Amin: American ISIS Fighter Reportedly Captured In Iraq
Muhammad Jamal Amin, an American who left the U.S. and tried to join up with ISIS, has been captured by Kurdish forces as the would-be jihadist ...

‘Supergirl’ Episode 16 Recap — When Supergirl Becomes A Mean Girl
At the conclusion of last week’s Supergirl , Kara was finally able to work with the DEO again, having finally gotten over the mistrust that resulted ...

Accused Kalamazoo Gunman Told Police He Was Possessed by Uber App at Time of Deadly Spree
According to a police report released on Monday , Jason Brian Dalton, the Uber driver accused in the apparently random shooting spree that left ...

North Korean leader says will soon conduct nuclear, missile tests
By Jack Kim and James Pearson SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said his country would soon conduct a nuclear warhead test and ...

Kalamazoo Shooter Blames Uber App For His Murderous Rampage, Claims He Saw Satanic Symbol In The App
Jason Dalton, the 45-year-old Uber Driver who is charged with killing six people in a series of shootings in Kalamazoo, Michigan has in a bizarre ...