[News] Video Showing Google Earth on Ubuntu Linux

http://osvids.com/

Top-left corner of the gallery
0
newsgroups3 (79680)
6/13/2006 6:34:28 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 120654 articles. 14 followers. Post Follow

<newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
 wrote
on Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:34:28 +0100
<1215748.mBiRuPikDE@schestowitz.com>:
> http://osvids.com/
>
> Top-left corner of the gallery

Neat stuff.  A little buggy on Gentoo, but very usable.
My main problem is that during initial startup only the top
of the window shows anything; the rest is blank.  (A resize
works around that issue.)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.
0
ewill5 (11075)
6/13/2006 8:00:03 PM
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 21:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:34:28 +0100
> <1215748.mBiRuPikDE@schestowitz.com>:
>> http://osvids.com/
>>
>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>
> Neat stuff.  A little buggy on Gentoo, but very usable.
> My main problem is that during initial startup only the top
> of the window shows anything; the rest is blank.  (A resize
> works around that issue.)

No issues in SUSE, but as I said before, Google Earth is one of these
applications that are overly stern about the colours being used, which sort
of conflicts with low intensity themes [1]. This is a detrimental issue in
other operating systems as well. Biggest culprits: non-GTK applications
(GNOME is usually fine), Wine, and JRE (or Java in general).

Best wishes,

Roy

[1] http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/google_earth-13062006.jpg

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com  |  Open Prospects   �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> http://osvids.com/
>
> Top-left corner of the gallery

Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when I
did the download.

Ta!

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://osvids.com/
>>
>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>
> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when I
> did the download.
>
> Ta!

The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However, to
avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need to
change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or KDE).
This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?

Hope it helps,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
http://Schestowitz.com  |     GNU/Linux     �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Gordon ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 08:27 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> http://osvids.com/
>>>
>>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>>
>> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when
>> I did the download.
>>
>> Ta!
>
> The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However,
> to avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need to
> change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or
> KDE). This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Roy

Thanks - that did the trick. However I missed the bit in the Readme on how
to start it in future and I can't see how to do that!

--
Gordon wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Gordon ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 08:27 \__

>>> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file
>>> when I did the download.
>>>
>>> Ta!
>>
>> The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However,
>> to avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need
>> to change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or
>> KDE). This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> Thanks - that did the trick. However I missed the bit in the Readme on how
> to start it in future and I can't see how to do that!

Ignore - just found the menu entry!

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2
to email me remove the obvious!

[News] More Good News for Linux-based Handset Devices
Esmertec And Yuhua TelTech Set New Benchmark With 1-stop Solution For Linux-Based Mobile Devices ,----[ Quote ] | Esmertec announced that Yuhua TelTech, a Chinese Independent Design | House (IDH) for mobile devices, has chosen Esmertec's 1-stop solution | for its Linux-based platform for mobile devices and smart phones. The | platform will be shipped on Linux-based handset devices for the | European and Chinese market at the end of December 2006. `---- http://linux.sys-con.com/read/310276_p.htm Linux is becoming big in China's mobile industry. It is disruptive enough to have had Bal...

Welcome to comp.os.linux.misc
Most of the posts you see are from a mentally ill person who is infuriated by his inability to install and configure linux. (Something my 8-year old nephew had no problems accomplishing.) Just ignore the pathetic loser. He doesn't know anything about Linux. There are many skilled Linux runners here that will be happy to help you with any challenges you encounter while learning this incredible operating system. Do NOT respond to the troll, PLEASE. This is called "feeding a troll" and it will just cause the feeb to post more of its ignorant and bitter crap. AC -- alanconno...

[News] [Rival] More Microsoft Lawsuits, Antitrust

[News] Zenwalk Linux Pleases Reviewer
Zenwalk 4.8 Review ,----[ Quote ] | I am just in love with xfce based distributions; they are fast, simple and | elegant and Zenwalk is no exception. It has a really good control center and | out-of-box multimedia support. `---- http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/11/zenwalk-48-review.html Related: Releases : Zenwalk 4.8 is ready ,----[ Quote ] | The Zenwalk Team is happy to announce the Zenwalk 4.8 release. | | After several release-candidates, it seems that we are ready for a very | stable release. Overall, testers have found Zenwalk 4.8 the fastest version | ever.   `---- ...

[News] Macs are Great... Linux Boxes
Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX ,----[ Quote ] | An East German company will soon begin selling an IP-PBX setup based | on a Mac Mini running Linux. 4S Newcom's iBlue package comes with an | iPod Shuffle that acts as a boot device for the Mac Mini, plus five | Linux-based VoIP phones. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8680369796.html Linus argues that while the hardware/box looks attractive, it is actually a PITA to work with (its firmware). On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:55:01 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Mac Mini becomes Linux-based IP PBX > > ,----[ Quote ] >| An...

[News] IBM Thinkpads Sold with SUSE Linux, Full Support Included
This relates to Lenovo's recent annoncement. ThinkPad--now with Suse Linux ,----[ Quote ] | In addition, Lenovo will provide Linux support for the laptop, | including drivers and its ThinkVantage technologies found on ThinkPad | loaded with Microsoft's Windows operating system, he said. `---- http://news.com.com/2100-1005_3-6105543.html?part=rss&tag=6105543&subj=news ...

News about SAS
Dear SAS Users, The user acceptance testing period has been completed without any problems reported. Please make sure you do not leave any SAS processes running overnight or scheduled to be run overnight as Darin will be switching us to the new machine tonight or early tomorrow morning. This will be transparent, your usual sas8 and sas6 command will now run on the new machine. If you should get a message asking to validate the 'host' abraham .... just say 'yes'! Happy SAS'ing on our smaller, faster machine.... I will be on vacation tomorrow, please let the help desk kno...

[News] AlwaysOn 100 Innovators Choose MySQL
MySQL Used By Majority Of "AlwaysOn 100" Innovators ,----[ Quote ] | It is no coincidence that the majority of these "Hot 100" start-ups are | using the MySQL open source database to power their IT infrastructure, | Web sites and products. `---- http://sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=26506&hilite= ...

[News] Nimblex GNU/Linux Customised for Users via the Web

Re: DECnet positively in the news #2
Bob Koehler <koehler@EISNER.NOSPAM.ENCOMPASSERVE.ORG> writes ... >[...] > > You may already be aware of this, but DECnet is available on Linux - > > http://linux-decnet.sourceforge.net/index.html > > DECnet is available on just about everything. I can't remember the > last time I had a system that I couldn't get Phase IV for. (Maybe > it was my DECSYSTEM 20's before Phase IV shipped?) I have some consolation for those not as fortunate as Mr. Koehler (e.g. not as well-funded, or simply lacking the time to install DECnet, or even using so...

[News] When You Use Microsoft Windows, You Share Your Desktop with Feds
German government sees itself in good company with online searches ,----[ Quote ] | The spyware then sent information on all internet connections and websites | visited to the FBI, who then arrested the pupil. However, in contrast to the | planned procedure in Germany, CIPAV does not transfer the content of | communications or files. `---- http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94988/from/rss09 Related: FBI ducks questions about its remotely installed spyware ,----[ Quote ] | There are plenty of unanswered questions about the FBI spyware that, as we | reported earlier this we...

[News] [Linux] Novell Answers Tough Questions on Microsoft IP
Novell sheds (a little) more light on its patent access deal ,----[ Quote ] | Q. How does Microsoft promising not sue Novell customers gives | Novell engineers sanctioned access to Microsoft code? | | [...] | | In fact, I would suggest that the answer to the first question makes it | clear that the patent access granted by the technical collaboration | agreement and the patent covenant not to sue customers are completely | unrelated. | | It certainly appears to be at odds with Steinman's earlier statement: "the | intellectual property agreement provided a foundation for the | in...

[OT] Haylp! Linux hates my router (or vice-versa)
Before I start bothering the proper forums with this, I thought I'd take a punt with you lot... I've finally got broadband. Hurrah! Except... I have a modem router, with my brother's Windows machine and my own Linux box currently connected to it. The router's at 192.168.1.1, by bro is at 192.168.1.2, and I'm 192.168.1.3. The Windows machine has no problems at all (so there's clearly nothing wrong with the router), but I can't get mine to recognise the router for love nor money. I can ping 192.168.1.2 (so it doesn't seem to be a problem with my hardware either;...

Have you heard the GOOD NEWS?
http://www3.boxke.net << click link for the good news google_groups_usa@yahoo.com wrote: > <snip> << click link for the good news Someone has created a DWIM compiler? [clicks link] Bill, never mind. -- http://billpg.me.uk/ usenet(at)billpg(dot)me(dot)uk ...

AmiWest Show 2004 - July 24
Just two more weeks to go to the AmiWest Show 2004 in Sacramento, California. I've paid for my admission and banquet ticket. I know Jeri Ellsworth of CommodoreOne/C-One fame will be there. Of course, I will be checking out the vending tables, especially if Extreme Computing comes, because their table will have the AmigaOne for purchase. For more information on the show, go to http://www.sacc.org Truly, Robert Bernardo Fresno Commodore User Group ...

LONG [News Digest] Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceding 09-10-07
In today's digest, we have: * Linux Myths Get Broken and Windows Realities Revealed * Novell Gets Greedy (Wants OpenOffice.org for Itself) * [Rival] Resource Hogs and Faulty Computers from Proprietary Vendors * [Rival] Bringing Windows 'Reliability' to People's Health Verdicts * Video: xwinwrap Does Animated Backgrounds in Linux * IBM Chooses Linux in New Google Collaboration * Big New Release for Granular Linux (Granular FunWorks 2007) * Open Source Approach Shows Its Advantage; Radiohead Takes the Open Route * [Rival] The Rob Enderle Bozo Gets ...

Python-URL!
QOTW: "I still want to keep compile time type checking to make sure I don't make any mistakes." "Sounds like you want two wives, but I'm pretty sure polygamy gets a checkbox in the naughty category on Santa's list" -- George Jempty (commenting on "Dear Open Source Santa," by Paul Browne) http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2006/12/dear_open_source_santa.html#comment-384244 "But if you care to give it a closer look, you may understand that Python's main advantage is not seizable by feature and performance charts." -- Soni ...

[News] The MAFIAA and Jammie Thomas Unable to Settle

[News] Open Source Impact in Networking
Getting Over the Love-Hate Dynamic With Open Standards ,----[ Quote ] | While the number of companies installing all-SIP or all-open source | networks continues to grow, it's clear that the overall market | has not gotten over this love-hate relationship with open standards. `---- http://www.technewsworld.com/story/55830.html Still looking for the lockin while peers and customers prefer openness. Open Source Network Configuration Management ,----[ Quote ] | Open source projects have had a significant impact in areas such | as operating systems (Linux), databases (MySQL), web applicat...

[News] Microsoft Munchkinds Are Officially Criminals

[News] Free Software Business Shows Signs of Growth in Bad Economy

Good news and bad news!!
The Bad news is i am an IT Recruiter......The good news is that i have a great role for a developer with strong Python skills. Ideally along with that they will have Java and either an understanding of Agile development or experience in using Ruby. =A335 - =A345k, London Contact me for more information 01189897601 grant@connectionsrecruit.co.uk grant.bodie@gmail.com wrote: > The Bad news is i am an IT Recruiter......The good news is that i have > a great role for a developer with strong Python skills. > > Ideally along with that they will have Java and either an understanding...

Xoberon cross-compiling under linux
Hello all, I'm using xoberon on a PPC but I'm designing the code on a pc with windows. Until now, I used System3 for windows and I had a cross-compiler to compile the modules for xoberon (that are then loaded during the boot process). How do I do to have the same under Linux?? I suceeded in installing the oberon System3 under linux (debian) but the problem comes when I try to install the xoberon cross-compiler.... (www.xo2.org) Has anybody already tried to install an xoberon cross-compiler under linux? Thanks for your help! Greg. ...

[News] GNU/Linux faces challenges as it goes mainstream
Where does Linux go from here? ..---- | Linux is now mainstream -- so mainstream, in fact, that two of | the top three Linux distributions are commercially successful | operations, and the third aims to be. Every day, more and more | old-school IT firms shake off their initial doubts, get in line | behind their customers, and try Linux and other free software | projects. In the face of such success, will Linux remain true to | its free software ideals and to the community which created it? Or | will it morph into a corporate byproduct, driven by the bottom | line, and complacent with all f...

[News] [Rival] Red Hat Takes Switzerland to Court Over Microsoft Corruption