[News] Video Showing Google Earth on Ubuntu Linux

http://osvids.com/

Top-left corner of the gallery
0
newsgroups3 (79678)
6/13/2006 6:34:28 PM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 123471 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

<newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
 wrote
on Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:34:28 +0100
<1215748.mBiRuPikDE@schestowitz.com>:
> http://osvids.com/
>
> Top-left corner of the gallery

Neat stuff.  A little buggy on Gentoo, but very usable.
My main problem is that during initial startup only the top
of the window shows anything; the rest is blank.  (A resize
works around that issue.)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.
0
ewill5 (11075)
6/13/2006 8:00:03 PM
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 21:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:34:28 +0100
> <1215748.mBiRuPikDE@schestowitz.com>:
>> http://osvids.com/
>>
>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>
> Neat stuff.  A little buggy on Gentoo, but very usable.
> My main problem is that during initial startup only the top
> of the window shows anything; the rest is blank.  (A resize
> works around that issue.)

No issues in SUSE, but as I said before, Google Earth is one of these
applications that are overly stern about the colours being used, which sort
of conflicts with low intensity themes [1]. This is a detrimental issue in
other operating systems as well. Biggest culprits: non-GTK applications
(GNOME is usually fine), Wine, and JRE (or Java in general).

Best wishes,

Roy

[1] http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/google_earth-13062006.jpg

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com  |  Open Prospects   �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> http://osvids.com/
>
> Top-left corner of the gallery

Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when I
did the download.

Ta!

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://osvids.com/
>>
>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>
> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when I
> did the download.
>
> Ta!

The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However, to
avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need to
change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or KDE).
This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?

Hope it helps,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
http://Schestowitz.com  |     GNU/Linux     �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Gordon ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 08:27 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> http://osvids.com/
>>>
>>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>>
>> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when
>> I did the download.
>>
>> Ta!
>
> The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However,
> to avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need to
> change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or
> KDE). This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Roy

Thanks - that did the trick. However I missed the bit in the Readme on how
to start it in future and I can't see how to do that!

--
Gordon wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Gordon ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 08:27 \__

>>> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file
>>> when I did the download.
>>>
>>> Ta!
>>
>> The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However,
>> to avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need
>> to change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or
>> KDE). This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> Thanks - that did the trick. However I missed the bit in the Readme on how
> to start it in future and I can't see how to do that!

Ignore - just found the menu entry!