[News] Video Showing Google Earth on Ubuntu Linux

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

http://osvids.com/

Top-left corner of the gallery
0
Reply newsgroups3 (79679) 6/13/2006 6:34:28 PM

See related articles to this posting

<newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
 wrote
on Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:34:28 +0100
<1215748.mBiRuPikDE@schestowitz.com>:
> http://osvids.com/
>
> Top-left corner of the gallery

Neat stuff.  A little buggy on Gentoo, but very usable.
My main problem is that during initial startup only the top
of the window shows anything; the rest is blank.  (A resize
works around that issue.)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.
0
Reply ewill5 (11075) 6/13/2006 8:00:03 PM

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 21:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:34:28 +0100
> <1215748.mBiRuPikDE@schestowitz.com>:
>> http://osvids.com/
>>
>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>
> Neat stuff.  A little buggy on Gentoo, but very usable.
> My main problem is that during initial startup only the top
> of the window shows anything; the rest is blank.  (A resize
> works around that issue.)

No issues in SUSE, but as I said before, Google Earth is one of these
applications that are overly stern about the colours being used, which sort
of conflicts with low intensity themes [1]. This is a detrimental issue in
other operating systems as well. Biggest culprits: non-GTK applications
(GNOME is usually fine), Wine, and JRE (or Java in general).

Best wishes,

Roy

[1] http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/google_earth-13062006.jpg

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com  |  Open Prospects   �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> http://osvids.com/
>
> Top-left corner of the gallery

Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when I
did the download.

Ta!

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2

__/ [ Gordon ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 08:27 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://osvids.com/
>>
>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>
> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when I
> did the download.
>
> Ta!

The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However, to
avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need to
change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or KDE).
This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?

Hope it helps,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
http://Schestowitz.com  |     GNU/Linux     �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Gordon ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 08:27 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> http://osvids.com/
>>>
>>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>>
>> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when
>> I did the download.
>>
>> Ta!
>
> The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However,
> to avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need to
> change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or
> KDE). This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Roy

Thanks - that did the trick. However I missed the bit in the Readme on how
to start it in future and I can't see how to do that!

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2
to email me remove the obvious!
0
Reply gordon.burgessparker1 (84) 6/14/2006 7:49:31 AM

Gordon wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Gordon ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 08:27 \__

>>> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file
>>> when I did the download.
>>>
>>> Ta!
>>
>> The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However,
>> to avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need
>> to change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or
>> KDE). This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> Thanks - that did the trick. However I missed the bit in the Readme on how
> to start it in future and I can't see how to do that!

Ignore - just found the menu entry!

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2
to email me remove the obvious!
0
Reply gordon.burgessparker1 (84) 6/14/2006 7:50:13 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 118808 articles. 13 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

[News] Ubuntu Linux and Google Earth do Wardriving
Wardriving with Ubuntu Linux and Google Earth ,----[ Quote ] | I've used NetStumbler on windows and this works great but since my | computers at home are now nearly Microsoft-free, I had to relearnthe | process on Linux. It breaks down into a few easy steps: `---- http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=55 ...

[News] [Linux] Ubuntu Linux Desktops in Library Computers (Video)
Ubuntu @ the Library ,----[ Quote ] | I installed Ubuntu because I was fed up with all the different OSes | on the library computers. It was easy, and a little fun. `---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWIrxuF5NSo Next step, gNewSense? Related: Ubuntu's Gibbon gets free ,----[ Quote ] | Ubuntu's October release code-named "Gutsy Gibbon" will be available | in a new, free flavour, its founder Mark Shuttleworth said today. | | [...] | | In an e-mail to Ubuntu developers, Shuttleworth said: "work will be done in | collaboration with the folks behind gNewsense"....

[News] Google Comes to Linux on the Plane, Videos of 'Linux Surface'
Google maps takes flight in Virgin America ,----[ Quote ] | As if you weren't already super into Google maps, now geek airline supreme | Virgin America is getting Gmaps integrated into its Linux-based Red seatback | system. `---- http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/17/google-maps-takes-flight-in-virgin-america/ Linux MPX Multi-touch Table May Become Alternative Microsoft Surface ,----[ Quote ] | It may not be as fancy-schmancy as Microsoft Surface or Jeff Han's demos but | this video of a Linux-based MPX multi-touch table shows that things are | moving full speed ahead in the la...

[News] [Linux] Motorola Shows Off Its New Linux Phone (Video), ARM Supports OpenGL
Moto ROKR e6 Linux-Based Smartphone Gets Screen Time ,----[ Quote ] | It's exiciting that Moto's not using Windows Mobile for its smartphones | but making its own Linux-based OS. Samsung is rumored to be doing the | same thing, but hasn't had the speed Moto's enjoying. While we'd like | to see anyone make an alternative to WinMo, the jury's still out on if | Linux is the answer. `---- http://crunchgear.com/2007/05/02/moto-rokr-e6-linux-based-smartphone-gets-screen-time/ ARM licenses 3D graphics benchmarks ,----[ Quote ] | Petri Talala, VP of Futuremark's mobile ...

[News] New Video of ACCESS Linux (Palm), Google Highly Confident About Android (Linux)
Does ACCESS threaten Windows Mobile? (Video demonstration & interview.) ,----[ Quote ] | This year ACCESS released their first new platform with PalmSource. The | platform looks like older Palm OS versions. However, it was developed based | on Linux, provides true multitasking, improved graphics and single finger | navigation. It has a number of other enhancements as well. | | Third party applications developed for Palm OS devices work on ACCESS' new | platform. So Palm OS customers can migrate to ACCESS without giving up their | existing software. Palm OS developers can easi...

[News] Sony Ericsson Gadget on Ubuntu Linux (Video); Chinese TV Runs Linux
(Video) Ubuntu Linux Running On Sony Ericsson P990i ,----[ Quote ] | Apparently "Wizolabo" managed to get a copy of Ubuntu Linux running | on the Sony Ericsson P990i, which features a 240 x 320 TFT | touchscreen display, 2.0-megapixel camera, 64MB RAM, 128MB Flash | memory, 60MB built-in memory, 802.11b Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, a | music player, and USB 2.0 connectivity. Video after the break. `---- http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/video-ubuntu-linux-running-on-sony-ericsson-p990i 5 Cool All-in-One Gadgets: QuaNext ,----[ Quote ] | Hong Kong-based Quataris will soon r...

[News] [Linux] Ubuntu Linux Gets Approval of Technical Reviewer, Shuttleworth on BBC (Video)
Migrating to Ubuntu Linux from Microsoft Windows ,----[ Quote ] | I think Ubuntu Linux is definitely ready for almost anyone with a | Windows system who is tired of having their computer infested with | spyware and viruses. It is also a way to avoid Microsoft's | "activation" demands. It's free! It's good! It works! `---- http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/233123/migrating_to_ubuntu_linux_from_microsoft.html Markshuttleworth , Ubuntu in BBC Click tech program ....Linux in the mainstream... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk92zMa84aU Repeats: http://www.bbcwo...

[News] [Linux] Ubuntu Linux Expands in Europe, Sidux (Debian) and Mint Linux (Ubuntu) Compared
Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue43 ,----[ Quote ] | Swiss Team Approved | | The Swiss LoCo team provides support to members all official Swiss | languages and collaborates in translations into German, French, and | Italian. The team has thrown several release parties and install | fests and has appeared in a local IT newspaper. `---- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue43 Sidux vs. Mint: Can You Live the Pure Open Source Life? ,----[ Quote ] | There are valid and compelling reasons why one might want to use only | Open Source Software. Avoids any patent or IP legal issu...

[News] Linux Conference Shows That Ubuntu Linux Capitalises on 'Flash', Attracts Crowd
Sunday: A working day for Ubuntu Linux fans ,----[ Quote ] | Although registration for the event was pegged at 600 by organizers, the | opening morning keynotes were attended by about half that number. Afternoon | sessions were much more crowded, although official Sunday attendance numbers | were not available. `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=89&articleId=9027628&intsrc=hm_topic [Ubuntu Linux] Gutsy Calls? ,----[ Quote ] | This is not a criticism; per se. More of an observation of a company that's | about to mo...

[News] New Ubuntu Store in the US and Other Ubuntu Linux News

[News] Windows-Ubuntu Linux Comparison, Ubuntu Weekly News

[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Owns the HypePhone, More Ubuntu News

[News] [Linux] Ubuntu Studio Walkthrough, Ubuntu Linux Praised
Installing Ubuntu Studio 7.04 - Linux For The Creative ,----[ Quote ] | Ubuntu Studio is a multimedia editing/creation flavour of Ubuntu, | built for the GNU/Linux audio, video, and graphic enthusiast or | professional. It is an official derivative of the Ubuntu open | source operating system and comes with applications such as | Ardour2, Wired, Hydrogen, Blender, Inkscape, Pitivi, and many | more, as well as a beautiful dark theme (read the release notes | to learn more). `---- http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntustudio_7.04 Ubuntu is SuperOS ,----[ Quote ] | Seventh. Ubuntu is doing it for ...

[News] Google Earth Coming to Linux
(He said this to me in an E-mail last year, but the interview confirms this) ,----[ Quote ] | Mad Penguin: Google is involved with OpenOffice.org and Mozilla. What | other open source project are they part of or have people working on? | | Chris DiBona: Well you know we've got a bunch of kernel folks, we've | got folks all over Apache, we are very heavily represented in Subversion, | and we've given donations to a great variety of groups and we are members | of a number of others. Kinda endless right now. | | MP: You mentioned Google Earth is going to be ported to Linux. Is that...

[News] Google Shows Its Linux Wares

[News] Short Reviews of Ubuntu 10.04, Ubuntu 10.10 Mockups, Benchmarks of Ubuntu GNU/Linux Versus Arch Linux

[News] Ubuntu Linux is Added to Open Source Calatog, More Ubuntu News

[News] Linux.com Ubuntu Linux Review; Dell with Ubuntu Preinsalled?
Review: Ubuntu Feisty Fawn ,----[ Quote ] | Ubuntu and Kubuntu Feisty are moderate improvements over the Edgy | release, and include enough new software and features to justify | upgrading to Feisty or trying it out for the first time if you've | been waiting to take the Ubuntu plunge. | | Feisty delivers most of the features that users were hoping for | in Edgy. Ubuntu is getting to the point where it can face | mainstream desktops. If that weren't the case, would Michael | Dell be running the OS on his laptop? `---- http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/27/1311222&...

[News] A Look Ahead at Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.04, Other Ubuntu News

[News] Google Talks About Its Ubuntu Linux Derivative
Google goes its own way ,----[ Quote ] | He says using open source gives Google a competitive advantage, | since its engineers can customise the software as they see fit, | for example by creating the Goobuntu flavour of the Ubuntu Linux | distribution. This makes their applications run more | efficiently. | | [...] | | "Good friendly distributions with good friendly community members" | is the way to convince consumers to choose Linux over Windows for | their desktops," he says. "It's legitimate for people to be | suspicious of free things. I think it scares people ...

[News] Google Shows off Its Android Linux Wares

[News] Google Earth for Linux Has Arrived (Beta)
http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html Enjoy! On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:43:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html > > Enjoy! I have. DLed it.Used it. It seems I was home on the day the satellite took the pictures :-) -- Rick __/ [ Rick ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 02:50 \__ > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:43:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > >> http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html >> >> Enjoy! > > I have. DLed it.Used it. It seems I was home on the day the satellite took > the pictures :-) It was pr...

[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux 10.10; Ubuntu 10.04 LTS News

[News] [Linu] Ubuntu Linux on a $100 PC, People Keeping Migrating to Ubuntu Linux
Ubuntu on a $99 computer ,----[ Quote ] | Chipzilla is doing everything it can to undercut MIT's One Laptop Per | Child project not, sadly, in the name of helping disadvantaged kids in | Africa and elsewhere, but instead to pander to the God of the Bottom Line. | But it's not the only game in town and another cheap system is quietly | trundling along in the background. | | [...] | | Looks good and, says Jonathan Scott, "The decTOP has limited specs out of | the box, but it's not a bad deal for $100." `---- http://p2pnet.net/story/12567 Running Ubuntu: 5 First Impr...