[News] Video Showing Google Earth on Ubuntu Linux

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

http://osvids.com/

Top-left corner of the gallery
0
Reply newsgroups3 (79685) 6/13/2006 6:34:28 PM

See related articles to this posting

<newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
 wrote
on Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:34:28 +0100
<1215748.mBiRuPikDE@schestowitz.com>:
> http://osvids.com/
>
> Top-left corner of the gallery

Neat stuff.  A little buggy on Gentoo, but very usable.
My main problem is that during initial startup only the top
of the window shows anything; the rest is blank.  (A resize
works around that issue.)

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.
0
Reply ewill5 (11076) 6/13/2006 8:00:03 PM

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 21:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:34:28 +0100
> <1215748.mBiRuPikDE@schestowitz.com>:
>> http://osvids.com/
>>
>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>
> Neat stuff.  A little buggy on Gentoo, but very usable.
> My main problem is that during initial startup only the top
> of the window shows anything; the rest is blank.  (A resize
> works around that issue.)

No issues in SUSE, but as I said before, Google Earth is one of these
applications that are overly stern about the colours being used, which sort
of conflicts with low intensity themes [1]. This is a detrimental issue in
other operating systems as well. Biggest culprits: non-GTK applications
(GNOME is usually fine), Wine, and JRE (or Java in general).

Best wishes,

Roy

[1] http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/google_earth-13062006.jpg

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      | Othello for Win32/Linux: http://othellomaster.com
http://Schestowitz.com  |  Open Prospects   �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> http://osvids.com/
>
> Top-left corner of the gallery

Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when I
did the download.

Ta!

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2

__/ [ Gordon ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 08:27 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> http://osvids.com/
>>
>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>
> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when I
> did the download.
>
> Ta!

The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However, to
avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need to
change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or KDE).
This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?

Hope it helps,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
http://Schestowitz.com  |     GNU/Linux     �     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ Gordon ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 08:27 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> http://osvids.com/
>>>
>>> Top-left corner of the gallery
>>
>> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file when
>> I did the download.
>>
>> Ta!
>
> The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However,
> to avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need to
> change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or
> KDE). This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?
>
> Hope it helps,
>
> Roy

Thanks - that did the trick. However I missed the bit in the Readme on how
to start it in future and I can't see how to do that!

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2
to email me remove the obvious!
0
Reply gordon.burgessparker1 (84) 6/14/2006 7:49:31 AM

Gordon wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Gordon ] on Wednesday 14 June 2006 08:27 \__

>>> Hi Roy, How do I install this on (K)Ubuntu? All I got was a bin file
>>> when I did the download.
>>>
>>> Ta!
>>
>> The file is a script/installer, much like .exe files in Windows. However,
>> to avoid the lenient and dangerous click-to-run paradigm, you will need
>> to change the file's permissions to exectutable ("properties" in GNOME or
>> KDE). This can be done from the command-line too, but what for...?
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
>> Roy
>>

> Thanks - that did the trick. However I missed the bit in the Readme on how
> to start it in future and I can't see how to do that!

Ignore - just found the menu entry!

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2
to email me remove the obvious!
0
Reply gordon.burgessparker1 (84) 6/14/2006 7:50:13 AM
comp.os.linux.advocacy 117897 articles. 12 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

[News] Ubuntu Linux and Google Earth do Wardriving
Wardriving with Ubuntu Linux and Google Earth ,----[ Quote ] | I've used NetStumbler on windows and this works great but since my | computers at home are now nearly Microsoft-free, I had to relearnthe | process on Linux. It breaks down into a few easy steps: `---- http://www.perrygeo.net/wordpress/?p=55 ...

[News] [Linux] Ubuntu Linux Desktops in Library Computers (Video)
Ubuntu @ the Library ,----[ Quote ] | I installed Ubuntu because I was fed up with all the different OSes | on the library computers. It was easy, and a little fun. `---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWIrxuF5NSo Next step, gNewSense? Related: Ubuntu's Gibbon gets free ,----[ Quote ] | Ubuntu's October release code-named "Gutsy Gibbon" will be available | in a new, free flavour, its founder Mark Shuttleworth said today. | | [...] | | In an e-mail to Ubuntu developers, Shuttleworth said: "work will be done in | collaboration with the folks behind gNewsense"....

[News] Google Comes to Linux on the Plane, Videos of 'Linux Surface'
Google maps takes flight in Virgin America ,----[ Quote ] | As if you weren't already super into Google maps, now geek airline supreme | Virgin America is getting Gmaps integrated into its Linux-based Red seatback | system. `---- http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/17/google-maps-takes-flight-in-virgin-america/ Linux MPX Multi-touch Table May Become Alternative Microsoft Surface ,----[ Quote ] | It may not be as fancy-schmancy as Microsoft Surface or Jeff Han's demos but | this video of a Linux-based MPX multi-touch table shows that things are | moving full speed ahead in the la...

[News] [Linux] Motorola Shows Off Its New Linux Phone (Video), ARM Supports OpenGL
Moto ROKR e6 Linux-Based Smartphone Gets Screen Time ,----[ Quote ] | It's exiciting that Moto's not using Windows Mobile for its smartphones | but making its own Linux-based OS. Samsung is rumored to be doing the | same thing, but hasn't had the speed Moto's enjoying. While we'd like | to see anyone make an alternative to WinMo, the jury's still out on if | Linux is the answer. `---- http://crunchgear.com/2007/05/02/moto-rokr-e6-linux-based-smartphone-gets-screen-time/ ARM licenses 3D graphics benchmarks ,----[ Quote ] | Petri Talala, VP of Futuremark's mobile ...

[News] New Video of ACCESS Linux (Palm), Google Highly Confident About Android (Linux)
Does ACCESS threaten Windows Mobile? (Video demonstration & interview.) ,----[ Quote ] | This year ACCESS released their first new platform with PalmSource. The | platform looks like older Palm OS versions. However, it was developed based | on Linux, provides true multitasking, improved graphics and single finger | navigation. It has a number of other enhancements as well. | | Third party applications developed for Palm OS devices work on ACCESS' new | platform. So Palm OS customers can migrate to ACCESS without giving up their | existing software. Palm OS developers can easi...

[News] Sony Ericsson Gadget on Ubuntu Linux (Video); Chinese TV Runs Linux
(Video) Ubuntu Linux Running On Sony Ericsson P990i ,----[ Quote ] | Apparently "Wizolabo" managed to get a copy of Ubuntu Linux running | on the Sony Ericsson P990i, which features a 240 x 320 TFT | touchscreen display, 2.0-megapixel camera, 64MB RAM, 128MB Flash | memory, 60MB built-in memory, 802.11b Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 2.0, a | music player, and USB 2.0 connectivity. Video after the break. `---- http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/video-ubuntu-linux-running-on-sony-ericsson-p990i 5 Cool All-in-One Gadgets: QuaNext ,----[ Quote ] | Hong Kong-based Quataris will soon r...

[News] [Linux] Ubuntu Linux Gets Approval of Technical Reviewer, Shuttleworth on BBC (Video)
Migrating to Ubuntu Linux from Microsoft Windows ,----[ Quote ] | I think Ubuntu Linux is definitely ready for almost anyone with a | Windows system who is tired of having their computer infested with | spyware and viruses. It is also a way to avoid Microsoft's | "activation" demands. It's free! It's good! It works! `---- http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/233123/migrating_to_ubuntu_linux_from_microsoft.html Markshuttleworth , Ubuntu in BBC Click tech program ....Linux in the mainstream... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk92zMa84aU Repeats: http://www.bbcwo...

[News] Linux Conference Shows That Ubuntu Linux Capitalises on 'Flash', Attracts Crowd
Sunday: A working day for Ubuntu Linux fans ,----[ Quote ] | Although registration for the event was pegged at 600 by organizers, the | opening morning keynotes were attended by about half that number. Afternoon | sessions were much more crowded, although official Sunday attendance numbers | were not available. `---- http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=89&articleId=9027628&intsrc=hm_topic [Ubuntu Linux] Gutsy Calls? ,----[ Quote ] | This is not a criticism; per se. More of an observation of a company that's | about to mo...

[News] Google Earth Coming to Linux
(He said this to me in an E-mail last year, but the interview confirms this) ,----[ Quote ] | Mad Penguin: Google is involved with OpenOffice.org and Mozilla. What | other open source project are they part of or have people working on? | | Chris DiBona: Well you know we've got a bunch of kernel folks, we've | got folks all over Apache, we are very heavily represented in Subversion, | and we've given donations to a great variety of groups and we are members | of a number of others. Kinda endless right now. | | MP: You mentioned Google Earth is going to be ported to Linux. Is that...

[News] Google Shows Its Linux Wares

[News] Google Talks About Its Ubuntu Linux Derivative
Google goes its own way ,----[ Quote ] | He says using open source gives Google a competitive advantage, | since its engineers can customise the software as they see fit, | for example by creating the Goobuntu flavour of the Ubuntu Linux | distribution. This makes their applications run more | efficiently. | | [...] | | "Good friendly distributions with good friendly community members" | is the way to convince consumers to choose Linux over Windows for | their desktops," he says. "It's legitimate for people to be | suspicious of free things. I think it scares people ...

[News] Google Shows off Its Android Linux Wares

[News] Google Earth for Linux Has Arrived (Beta)
http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html Enjoy! On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:43:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html > > Enjoy! I have. DLed it.Used it. It seems I was home on the day the satellite took the pictures :-) -- Rick __/ [ Rick ] on Tuesday 13 June 2006 02:50 \__ > On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:43:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: > >> http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html >> >> Enjoy! > > I have. DLed it.Used it. It seems I was home on the day the satellite took > the pictures :-) It was pr...

[News] Ubuntu GNU/Linux Works More Closely with Google

[News] Video Demos/Promotion of Ubuntu GNU/Linux
Ubuntu Advertisement ,----[ Quote ] | An ubuntu ad I made with gtk-recordmydesktop, compiz-fusion | and kdenlive Hopefully this one has sound `---- http://paladigaris.biz/?p=3D642 Comparing Windows Update to Ubuntu Linux=92s Update Manager http://directoryoftutorials.com/063-04-comparing-windows-update-to-ubuntu-l= inuxs-update-manager Related: Ubuntu landed on Berlin metro system ,----[ Quote ] | The guys from =93Berliner Fenster=94, a | company responsible for the content of | the television system installed | inside underground vehicles (more than 3.700 | displays) were so kind (tha...

[News] Ubuntu Linux Cheers, Survey Shows Prevalence

[News] Ubuntu Sets More Focus on Intructional Linux Videos

[News] Assessment of Google Chrome in Ubuntu GNU/Linux

[News] Video
Another Beryl 0.1.3 Video ,----[ Quote ] | Magic Fire, Transparency, Wobbly Windows, 3D Cube, Transparent Cube, | Skydome, 3D Windows and stuff like it... `---- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD6BiKnLzck&NR Includes cube transparency, layer manager (depth), among other things. Still putting Leopard and Vista to shame... more and more every day. Light years ahead in terms of looks and visual experience, among other things. Recent (nightly builds, I think): Cool New Beryl Feature: Ring Window Switcher ,----[ Quote ] | The latest svn release of Beryl sports a cool new ring window swi...

[News] Ubuntu Video Show, Nice Desktop Demo

[News] Videos of Linux Devices at the Consumer Electronics Show
Videos showcase Linux devices at CES ,----[ Quote ] | * OLPC running Pepper OS | | * OLPC outdoors and representative talking about the Mesh networking | | * OLPC csound music synthesiser demo | | * OLPC talk with Marvell representative | | * PepperPad 3 demo | | * Nokia N800 interview with product manager `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS7142523248.html ...

[News] Latest Ubuntu Newsletter and Linux Action Show

[News] Video Shows How GNU/Linux Challenges Microsoft

[News] Review of Ubuntu Shows That Even Linux Alphas Are Decent
Ubuntu 7.04 Alpha 3 - Installation ,----[ Quote ] | Final Thoughts | | * This whole experience has been too cool. My complements to the | Ubuntu team for putting 7.04 together. If this is an Alpha release | then I can't wait for the betas or the final release. `---- http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/02/ubuntu-704-alpha-3-installation.html Also from the same guy: Why it is. ,----[ Quote ] | To me this is not a zero-sum game. I'm not looking for a single | winner in this process. More fundamentally I'm looking for healthy | alternatives to Microsoft Windows. I ...