[News] Vista 7 Can't Handle XP 'Upgrades'

Apple's own Windows 7 pitch

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite positive reviews for Windows 7, the
| upgrade process for the millions of people
| still using the older Windows XP won't be
| simple. Unlike the shift from the newer
| Windows Vista, the move from Windows XP to
| Windows 7 requires a clean installation --
| which means backing up data before installing
| Windows 7, then restoring data and
| reinstalling applications after the new OS is
| on the machine.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2009/10/apple_says_its_looking_forward_to_windows_7_launch_too.html?ana=from_rss

Recent:

Windows 7 meets Ubuntu 9.10

,----[ Quote ]
| In Ubuntu's case one of its assets is the
| work done to support netbook PCs. Ubuntu's
| Netbook Remix interface is a very slick
| alternative for the smaller screen space
| common on netbooks.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/9972.html

Windows 7 An Improvement, But Is Mac OS X Still Better?

,----[ Quote ]
| I feel that Mac OS X or Ubuntu are both
| better systems.
`----

http://www.nillabyte.com/blog.php?b=271

Feature-By-Feature: Ubuntu 9.10 Vs. Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop
| Karmic Koala's desktop should be familiar
| to Windows users. Right-click menu
| shortcuts and  personalizing the desktop
| features are similar to Windows 7. The
| desktop still isn't as "glitzy" as Windows
| 7, but users can get the eye candy of
| Windows 7 with a fast graphics card and can
| choose the "Extra" settings in Ubuntu
| 9.10's "Appearance Preferences."
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/220600383;jsessionid=DGQV5GNOJLAARQE1GHOSKH4ATMY32JVN

Ubuntu Karmic Koala- A perfect alternative to Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Before you decide to pay for a Windows 7 license, I
| would humbly urge you to first download a copy of
| Karmic Koala, give it a try for a week or two and
| then make an unbiased assessment of it yourself.
| You will see that you would not have to spend money
| whatsoever on a pile of software that crumbles at
| the least attack made on it. Do you intend using
| Windows 7? Please tell us why or why you would not
| use Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.ghabuntu.com/2009/10/ubuntu-karmic-koala-perfect-alternative.html

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y" tells you whether x and y actually refer to the same object. In the case of singletons like None (there's only one None object), it's better to use "is". "ElChino" <elchino@cnn.cn>: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: Do the following: take two $10 bills. Hold one bill in the left hand, hold the other bill in the right hand. Now, the bill in the left hand "is not" the bill in the right hand. However, the bill in the left hand "==" the bill in the right hand. > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. In almost all cases, both tests would result in the same behavior. However, the "is not" test is conceptually the correct one since you want...

[News] Some Intel chips don't support Windows 7 'XP mode'
One of the benefits of GNU/Linux compared to Windows is, Linux is honest, you won't see any "ready for Vista7 "XP mode" stickers on Linux machines! begin{quote} A small brouhaha is erupting over Windows 7 and Intel processors. The hubbub is centered on which Intel processors will not support "XP mode" in Windows 7 and, by extension, which PCs will not support XP mode. Retail laptops may be one of the most prominent segments affected. Sony Vaio laptops sold at retail stores are among a number of models from a variety of PC makers that have processors that don't...

Removing the letters 't' 'i' 'x' and 'y'
Im having trouble with figuring out how to write a function which will remove the letters 't' 'i' 'x' and 'y' from any input string in matlab. for example modstr(pixy) should result in ans = 'p' or modstr(picture) should result in ans = 'pcure' if anyone could offer any help or hints i would really appreciate it. Thank You >> modstr=@(s) s(~ismember(s,'tixy')) modstr = @(s)s(~ismember(s,'tixy')) >> modstr('picture') ans = pcure % Bruno ...

[News] Breaking Evil Myths: Linux Users Can't Play; Can't Run Windows Applications
Because penguins need to play too. ,----[ Quote ] | The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular | misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true. | There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of | them have been ported to Windows too. | | [...] | | There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best | ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory. `---- http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767 Run Windows Apps on Linux using 2X ApplicationServer ,----[ Quote ] | 2X ApplicationServer is a useful solution for those who still need access | to some Windows only apps, but prefer to work in Linux. `---- http://linuxappfinder.com/blog/run_windows_apps_on_linux_using_2x_applicationserver Related: LinuxGamePublishing announces X3: Reunion ,----[ Quote ] | The announcement was made during LinuxGames.coms' latest(7th) | podcast, and said to be about 80% completed. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1914 TO: Crossfire 1.5 released ,----[ Quote ] | Inspired by TacticalOps, TO: Crossfire is a game based on Epic's | awardwinning UnrealEngine and throws you into the life-and-death | world of counterterrorism. `---- http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1913 Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels ,----[ Quote ] | SuperGamer is a modified version...

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wrong. HJ "Aaron" <aaron@rapid-motion.co.uk> wrote in message news:260d7f40.0408120245.2f3d01f8@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Thanks for ur help there HJ. > > I know how to do the tasks you specified there. > > I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the > fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, > DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the > values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; > > [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] > > a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. > > please help. > > Aaron First off, if you are not always using all the parameters specified in your form, then you have to add parameters to your query on the fly. Also, you can't just do something like qdf.SQL = "SE...

if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
Hi, there. =20 I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this line : if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.')=20 =20 Igor Kurbeko Clinical Programmer Analyst 678 336 4328 ikurbeko@atherogenics.com =20 no brain no pain =20 how about: if not (str_mo in ('','.') or str_da in ('','.') or str_yy in ('','.')) OR if not (missing(str_mo) or missing(str_da) or missing(str_yy)) Eric On 22 Oct 03 21:13:37 GMT, ikurbeko@ATHER...

[News] Google's OEM Success with Linux Shows Why Microsoft+Their Analysts Can't Help FUDing Chrome OS

A function with 'and' , 'not' , 'null' , 'car' and 'cdr'
What's this ? (defun enigma (x) (and (not (null x)) (or (null (car x)) (enigma (cdr x))))) "I suppose I should learn Lisp, but it seems so foreign." - Paul Graham, Nov 1983 On Wed, Oct 07 2015, CAI GENGYANG wrote: > What's this ? > > > (defun enigma (x) > (and (not (null x)) > (or (null (car x)) > (enigma (cdr x))))) Bad taste? It returns T if the list X contains nil as an element. It would be clearer to write (some #'null x). Helmut CAI GENGYANG ...

[News] Op/Ed: Microsoft Won't/Can't Assault Linux
The fair-weather "friends of Linux" ,----[ Quote ] | I just finished reading John Carroll's article Why Microsoft won't | assault Linux and while I agree with his conclusion, I don't agree | with his reasoning. John opens up suggesting that a "full legal | assault" on Linux would be self-defeating. I don't think so | but I do think that filing suit against RedHat would be an | unnecessary waste of Microsoft's time and money. | | I would like to dispense with his first point: Patents cut both | ways. While this is certainly true, John assumes that there are | powerful "friends of Linux" who would counter-sue Microsoft in a | heartbeat if Microsoft were to use it's patents against RedHat and | he reminds us that: Nobody has more patents than IBM. `---- http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3924 ...

can I 'group' and 'concat' (instead of 'sum') ?
Hello, I know commands : select number, count(*) from db group by number and : select number, sum(size) from db group by number but is there the same command for the 'concat' function ? Something like : select number, concat(tag) from db group by number If not, how can I do it ? For example, I have a table (number, tag) : (1, 'EX11'), (1, 'EX12'), (2, 'EX21'), (3, 'EX31'), (3, 'EX32'), (3, 'EX33')... I'd like to have a result : (1, 'EX11EX12') (2, 'EX21') (3, 'EX31EX32EX33...

error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attrib
Hi I'm trying to compile an ADC Driver & come acrosss the following error. I've no experience writing drivers before, and hence have no clue how to fix it. Hope someone out there has encountered the problem & suggesst a fix for the same. The Error is I get is : qadc.c: At top level: qadc.c:97: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'qadc_read' make: *** [qadc.o] Error 1 [root@localhost qadc]# ########################################################################### ADC Driver Code ##...

Does '!=' equivelent to 'is not'
I'm a bit confusing about whether "is not" equivelent to "!=" if a != b: ... if a is not b: ... What's the difference between "is not" and "!=" or they are the same thing? pirata wrote: > I'm a bit confusing about whether "is not" equivelent to "!=" > > if a != b: > ... > > if a is not b: > ... > > > What's the difference between "is not" and "!=" or they are the same thing? No, they are not the same thing. == and != test to see if the *value* of two variables are the same. Like so: >>> a = 'hello world' >>> b = 'hello world' >>> a == b True a and b both have the value of 'hello world', so they are equal is and is not, however, do not test for value equivalence, they test for object identity. In other words, they test to see if the object the two variables reference are the same object in memory, like so: >>> a is b False a and b are assigned to two different objects that happen to have the same value, but nevertheless there are two separate 'hello world' objects in memory, and therefore you cannot say that a *is* b Now look at this: >>> c = d = 'hello world' >>> c == d True >>> c is d True In this case, they are again the same value, but now the is test also shows that they are the same *object* as well, because...

logical to 'on' / 'off'
Hi, is there a function implemented doing this conversion? my Problem is, that I want to use the following code: set(handles.edit_curr_trq_sl,'Enable',get(hObject,'Value')) where get(hObject,'Value') gives the state of a checkbox thank you! function [str]=tf2oo(logic) switch logic case 0 str='off'; case 1 str='on'; end%switch end%function tf2oo() while i do not know a built in function, I use my own:) meisterbartsch wrote: > > > function [str]=tf2oo(logic) > switch logic > case 0 > str='off'; &g...

Override 'and' and 'or'
Is it possible to override 'and' and/or 'or'? I cannot find a special method for it... __and__ and __rand__ and __or__ and __ror__ are for binary manipulation... any proposals? Have marvelous sunday, Marco Dekker <m.aschwanden@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to override 'and' and/or 'or'? I cannot find a special > method for it... __and__ and __rand__ and __or__ and __ror__ are for > binary manipulation... any proposals? If you want to customize the truth value testing you have to implement __nonzero__ " __nonzero__( self) Call...

'!' vs. '.'
Is there an advantage to using the '!' notation to represent form/ control relationships? (eg. Me!text1 vs Me.text1) I am currently using the '.' notation exclusively (for code completion in the VB Editor), but much of the high-quality code that I've seen (in Duane Hookom's Query-by-Form db, for example) uses the other. Here's one opinion for you: http://doc.advisor.com/doc/05352 robert.waters wrote: >Is there an advantage to using the '!' notation to represent form/ >control relationships? (eg. Me!text1 vs Me.text1) > >I am currently using the '.' notation exclusively (for code completion >in the VB Editor), but much of the high-quality code that I've seen >(in Duane Hookom's Query-by-Form db, for example) uses the other. -- HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro Please post back to this forum so all may benefit. Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200704/1 Here's my $0.02 worth on this. I tend to copy the notation style and naming conventions that I see being used in the Help files. That would be Me![text1] for a control on a form. I am of the belief that this notation explicitly refers to a control itself rather than a field in the form's recordset. Here's an example: I have a parts inventory app that uses a "Line" code, which is usually a 3-character abbreviation for a brand name, and is the na...

[News] [Rival] Vista 7 'Upgrades' Are Failing

difference between ',' and 'a,'
Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? Thanks Should be the same, in gforth: see , : , here cell allot ! ; ok see a, : , here cell allot ! ; ok On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 5:46:04 AM UTC-8, beeflo wrote: > Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? > > I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? > > Thanks beeflo <beeflobill@gmail.com> writes: >Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? > >I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? In Gforth itself, there is no difference. In Gforth's cross compiler, "a," is there for addresses, and "," is there for other cells; addresses can then be relocated when loading the image. - anton -- M. Anton Ertl http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html New standard: http://www.forth200x.org/forth200x.html EuroForth 2014: http://www.euroforth.org/ef14/ ...

Difference between 'is' and '=='
Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the result anywhere online. When is the right time to use 'is' and when should we use '=='? Thanks alot~ mwql: >Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the >result anywhere online. When is the right time to use 'is' and when >should we use '=='? http://docs.python.org/ref/comparisons.html -- Ren� Pijlman mwql wrote: > Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the > result anywhere online. When is the right time to ...

'a'..'z'
Is it possible to achieve something like this? switch (mystring.charAt(0)) { case 'a'..'z': // do something break; } "cruster" <cruster@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151319731.988814.326200@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to achieve something like this? > > switch (mystring.charAt(0)) { > case 'a'..'z': > // do something > break; > } > There are times when an if statement may be more appropriate ;) Sorry - java is not VB :) -- LTP :) cruster schreef: > Is it possible to achieve somethi...

[News] [Rival] Vista 7 'Upgrade' Nightmares

We Are Selling The Nextel I930 For Just $130usd'''''''''''
Dear Customer We have all brands of Mobile Phones,Ipods,Sidekicks,Nextel phone,Laptops for sell at cheap an affordable prices, they ranges from Nokia/Samsung/LG/Son Ericsson/Motorola/Alcatel/panasonic With Bluetooth, al Brands and Models of Nextel Phones, we want you to get bac to us with your quote so that we can begin a good busines relationship. Note they are all Brand New T2 Euro specs unlocked, no operator logo, come in thei original sealed box, With 1 year international warrant from the manufacturer, English & Spanish manual, Finlan made We want to assure you that you will never r...

Re: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ? #2
Igor, There are many ways to make it more concise, however the parsimony is likely to be achieved at the expense of clarity. For instance, the expressions length ( input (mm||dd||yy, $10.) ) > 2 length ( compress(mm||dd||yy, ' .') ) > 2 and like might be somewhat shorter than the original, but they will execute slower, and their intent is far less eminent. Since it appears that you are trying to validate the components of a date, maybe it is not a worthless idea to try the date informat conforming to the mask you are testing. Say if all the pieces are 2-digit, the expression input (mm||dd||yy, ?? mmddyy6.) will return a missing value for the case you are testing and also if any irregularities in the input value that prevent it from being interpreted as a valid date should be found. And if you want a note in the log to alert you about it, leave one of the question marks off. Kind regards, ================= Paul M. Dorfman Jacksonville, FL ================= >From: Igor Kurbeko <ikurbeko@ATHEROGENICS.COM> >Reply-To: Igor Kurbeko <ikurbeko@ATHEROGENICS.COM> >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy > not in ('','.') Any shorter ? >Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:13:37 -0400 > >Hi, there. > > > >I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this >line : > >if ...

'Linux is perfect' and 'Linux is perfect for' idiocy
Straight up 'Linux is perfect' idiocy: ========================================================================= "Linux is perfect." Posted by: unknown at March 26, 2005 03:57 PM http://www.goodexperience.com/tib/archives/2005/03/apple_mail_filt.html "Linux is perfect." http://www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/video/ossuckscable.html~content "Linux is perfect: its open source nature and excellent shell make it the ultimate hobbyist's operating system." http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/top-50-best-linux-apps-2011-1014373 "Linux is perfect" comment by Mr.chippy http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-218660.html?s=7ca405d1beb423b9015bd2ff62fb90bb "Linux is perfect" comment by jackblack http://blenderartists.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-218660.html?s=7ca405d1beb423b9015bd2ff62fb90bb "Linux is perfect!" http://abaldwin360.tumblr.com/post/23175853511/why-do-hipsters-use-macs-linux-is-so-much-less "Linux is perfect" ..sig of LSeraphim http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=97991.15 "Linux is perfect." Anonymous10/14/2010 03:06:00 PM http://www.techbroil.com/2010/10/linux-desktop-needs-to-bake-for-3-5.html "Linux is perfect" comment by albert http://web.archive.org/web/20080720151740/http://the-half-decent-pharmaceutical-chemistry-blog.chemblogs.org/archives/2008/01/02/all-is-quiet-on-new-y...

SARCASTIC POST: Linux Can't Run This 'Killer' App -- WHY ?!?
<sarcasm and irony> After 2 solid years of Linvocacy -- I have met my match... This critical piece of software: http://www.virtuagirls.com/ DOES NOT RUN ON LINUX !?!!? Only Windos users can: Run Virtual Girl 2, "a shareware program featuring dancers on your desktop. They say hi in the morning, remind you of your appointments and dance for you whenever you want them to. We mean right on the desktop. dancers basically live on the tool bar. They are in front of any other application and you can enjoy them while using your computer normally." Linux will never catch up to W...

Web resources about - [News] Vista 7 Can't Handle XP 'Upgrades' - comp.os.linux.advocacy