[News] What Sets Apart GNU/Linux from Windows and Mac OS X

What Linux needs

,----[ Quote ]
| Because what Linux needs is people who want
| to use Linux. I said a long time ago that if
| Linux was Windows, nobody would need Linux.
| By corollary, if what you need is Windows,
| don’t tell me Linux has shortcomings. Linux
| doesn’t need application X, it needs someone
| who is so prepossessed with the idea of
| creating application X that they spearhead an
| independent movement to duplicate it, gather
| a few like-minded and talented peers, and as
| a group they roll up their sleeves and get to
| work making application X.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/what-linux-needs/

Apple: Simplicity taken too far?

,----[ Quote ]
| One could discard such fulminating, except
| for the fact that Google (with Android) and
| other open-source communities are
| increasingly focusing on delivering open-
| source software that prioritizes ease of
| use, as Canonical's latest Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
| (aka Lucid Lynx) release shows.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10471385-16.html

Linux Journal Insider - May 2010

http://www.linuxjournal.com/podcast/linux-journal-insider-may-2010

Recent:

Ubuntu Is Pretty Cool (My Linux Experiment)

,----[ Quote ]
|     * I had an old Windows XP laptop that was slow and
|     required constant attention. One of the great
|     things about almost any Linux distribution is that
|     is small and efficient. It is often recommended as
|     a good way to get some new life out of an older
|     machine.
|
|     * Ubuntu makes it easy. I picked the Ubuntu
|     distribution because it was easy to figure out and
|     install. The software takes you step by step
|     through the process and even gives you the option
|     to split your hard drive so you can have both
|     Linux and Windows (or whatever) on the same
|     machine.
|
|     * I am not sacrificing much (if anything). As the
|     title to this post suggests, Ubuntu is pretty
|     cool. True, the user interface is a little
|     different but, having oriented myself (and pretty
|     quickly for an old guy, I am proud to say), it
|     seems a little better than Windows. It does well
|     all of the things my old Windows machine did
|     poorly. I have faster web-browsing now through my
|     trusty Firefox browser. Web apps (like Google
|     Docs) are operating system agnostic and I have yet
|     to run into a major plugin that is not also
|     available for Linux distributions. Open Office (a
|     free Office-like application) works very well with
|     most of my Office files (and others). There are
|     also tons of new productivity and gaming
|     applications to explore as well, all with little
|     (some would say no) risk of virus or malware
|     infection.
`----

http://sourcesandmethods.blogspot.com/2009/09/ubuntu-is-pretty-cool-my-linux.html

0
newsgroups3 (79677)

[News] [Linux] Man Chooses Linux Over Mac OS X, Windows
Which OS for Ruby on Rails development? ,----[ Quote ] | I've had experience using Linux servers (no GUIs), so I figured I | could always drop back to the command line if something broke and | I've had to once or twice during installations. But overall I have | been pleasantly surprised at how civil an experience it has been. `---- http://falkayn.blogspot.com/2007/05/which-os-for-ruby-on-rails-development.html ...

[News] GNU/Linux More Polished Then Windows, Mac OS X

[News] From Mac OS/Windows to GNU/Linux: Migration Story

[News] Modern GNU/Linux Compared to Mac OS X

[News] GNU/Linux Outperforms Mac OS X in Most Latest Benchmarks

[News] Survey: 11% Left Windows for GNU/Linux or Mac OS

[News] GNU/Linux Beats Mac OS X at Everything But Advertising

[News] User Dumps Mac OS X for GNU/Linux with KDE4

Web resources about - [News] What Sets Apart GNU/Linux from Windows and Mac OS X - comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Windows Blog

Forget split screen—Android N code hints at a “Freeform Windows” mode
... one step further. We haven't been able to get it to work, but hidden in the code of Android N are references to an "experimental freeform windows" ...

First Microsoft Edge extension appears in Windows Store
... so long is just around the corner. We've known for a little while that extensions are due to make an appearance in an upcoming build of Windows ...

$310 gets you a 20-inch all-in-one Windows 10 PC from HP
If you're in the market for a new desktop PC that will be used mainly for web browsing, streaming media and light work, an all-in-one computer ...

Microsoft drops bitcoin for Windows 10
Despite apparent bitcoin usage growth, Microsoft is no longer supporting the payment method for Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile users.

Microsoft no longer takes Bitcoins in its Windows app store
... out, it seems. The company has quietly updated an FAQ to reveal that it no longer accepts the digital currency in the Microsoft Store on Windows ...

Plant Lamps Designed For Rooms Without Windows
... kind of day. These are the Mygdal Plantlights designed by Studio We Love Eames . They were created to bring some of the outdoors into windowless ...